Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Buses, Boys and Digimon ❯ Chapter 1

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
--Buses, Boys and Digimon--
By Akot
December 2000

Disclaimer: I don't own 'em.

Setting: Remember when Matt gets stuck going on the bus with Davis' sister Jun?

AN: I don't usually write Digimon fic, but I guess I've been and been hanging around shippies too long, because it's spreading.... Thanks to The PRO, Ides of Diamonds and Hikari Takaishi for help with Jun and Mr Ishida's names. This is for Emily G.!




She knew what was comming.

It was nearly unavoidable and already she could hear TK laughing softly. She nugged him in the rib and whispered. "TK, that's not very nice."

The laughter half stopped. "I'm sorry Kari, I can't help it...it's just Matt's going to get stuck with her again..." The laughter was slowly spreading at Matt's distraught face as they spoke. Making up her mind, she leaned forward to the front of the car.

"I'll go with her Mr. Ishida."

Jun looked disapointed for a moment but brightened inexplicably all of a sudden. Matt was breathing a heavy sigh of relief. Mr. Ishida turned around in his seat.

"Are you sure Kari? I can always make Matt go."

"Nope, I'm fine thanks."

"Do you need any money?"

She smiled. "No, that's alright."

He nodded.

TK grabbed her arm as she rose from her seat. "Kari, you really don't have to go you know."

"I know, but I felt bad for Matt."

Tai chimmed in. "I can always get you out of it, it's not too late." he whispered.

She shook her head once more. "I'm going Tai, TK."

The younger boy seemed rather dissapointed, but Tai conceeded.

"Alright then. I'll tell mom where you are."

"Thanks Tai." she said wtih a smile.

Gatomon in arms, she climmed out of the car. "Don't worry guys, I'll be fine."

From the front seat, Matt murmured his thanks as the car began to move away. Jun, Kari and Gatomon(well hidden from Jun's sight) waved the car off before heading to catch the bus. It arrived just as they had reached the bus stop, and they got on whithout conversation. Once seated, Jun started speaking.

"Thanks for comming with me Kari. It was really nice of you."

"No problem."

There was a brief pause in the conversation.

"You know, I've been wondering. What are those toys you always seem to be carrying around?" Jun said absentmindedly as she tweaked Gatomon's tail.

The digimon's face darkened briefly, forgetting where she was.

"Er, well, you see, it's a study." stammered Kari.

"A study" the older girl said skeptically.

"Uh, yeah. They want to see, er, how people react to us carrying them around."

"Oh, okay. Cool. I mean, I know Davis does stupid things, but I didn't think I'd see him carrying around a doll, even if it is kind of cute."

Kari began to form a reply, but Jun cut her off.

"But of course, Matt's even more cute. You know, if I didn't know better, I'd say he was playing hard to get, or that he didn't like me. Isn't that a silly thought?"

Once again, just as Kari was about to reply, the older girl cut her off. This process was repeated continously, to the point where Gatomon had fallen asleep and Kari was bored out of her mind, but couldn't quite tune Jun out. Finally, she slowed her pace.

"Well, enough about me and Matt." A mischevious grin made it's way onto Jun's face. "What about you and TK?"

Kari blushed a deep red and shifted the digimon around on her lap, causing Gatomon to waken.

Jun was talking again at this point.

"So there *is* something. I knew it! You are so cute together you know. Maybe even more cute than Matt and I, well, if it were possibly." She giggled. "Maybe we should double date or something. I know a whole bunch of - "

"We're not going out." Interrupted Kari gently.

Jun continued unheeded. "Oh, I know that, but it's only a matter of time. I've seen how you look at each other."

Uncomfortable and desperate to shift the focus, Kari spoke.

"But what about Davis? I mean, it's pretty obvious he likes me. I'd feel bad if I hurt him."

Jun waved a hand dissmisvly. "Don't worry about Davis. It's just a little crush. He'll get over it soon enough. It doesn't mean anything." She paused for a moment, thinking. "Maybe he'll even start dating that Yolei girl."

Had Kari been in a better mood, she would have laughed at the idea. Gatomon, on the other hand, was trying hard to stiffle her giggles.

"Anyway, I guess you *are* still a little young. I mean, you're only in middle school."

Indignance rose in Kari, but she bit her toungue, not wanting to provoke Jun into speaking more on the subject.

The older girl yawned slightly. "I'm getting kind of tired, after all, it's been a long day." Gatomon rolled her eyes at the understatement. "Do you mind if I take a little nap?"

Kari smiled. "Not at all, I'm a little worn out myself."

The girls proceeded to make themselves as comfortable as they could, and Kari fell asleep almost immediatly, as did her digimon. Jun glanced at the sleeping forms and grinned, whispering quietly to herself.

"There'll be something between you and TK yet Kari, just you wait and see."