Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Children of Destiny ❯ Civil War ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Children of Destiny

a/n: Ok, personally, this is one of my favorite chapters. I hope you like it too!

Disclaimer: I don't own Digimon.

~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~

The first thing Makoto discovered when her mind began swimming back out of the blackness that had been all she had known for what seemed like an eternity…was a headache. No…scratch that. It was more like a migraine. The girl groaned softly and slowly opened her eyes to stare at the sky above her.

"The sky?" She muttered to herself, "But we're at the park! Where did all those trees go?"

Shaking her head to clear it, Makoto opened her other eye and pushed herself up into a sitting position.

"Where on earth am I?" She asked out loud, staring in disbelief at her surroundings. She was at the beach. The sun was just coming up over the water, turning the ocean a dazzling red hue. She absently sifted a handful of fine white sand through her fingers and stood up to get a better view of the land. Then she noticed a lump laying on the sand, the waves washing gently against it.

Curiosity got the better of her, and she walked over to the lump, determined to find out what it was. Her eyes widened considerably when she found it to be a person. A very familiar person in fact…

"Brad!" She yelled, running over to where the boy was laying, unmoving on the sand. She dragged him away from the water ad sat down next to him, not sure if he was alive or not.

Makoto grabbed the black-haired boy's shoulders and shook him lightly. Getting no response, she shook him a bit harder and said, "Come on Brad, wake up."

At last, the boy stirred and his vivid green eyes opened a crack, focusing on Makoto, "Is that you, `Koto?" He asked skeptically, bringing a hand to his forehead.

"Yeah. How do you feel?" She asked him, giving him a hand up.

"Like I got hit over the head with a baseball bat one too many times." He answered truthfully.

Makoto laughed, "Yeah, ditto that."

Brad looked around and asked, "So…where are we?"

Makoto shrugged, "Search me. You're the first familiar thing I've seen around here. I don't even know how we got here. The last thing I remember is grabbing that weird little metal thing and…" A light went on in Makoto's mind, "Hey! I still have mine!"

The girl reached into her pocket and pulled out the small machine, watching as Brad did the same, "Think these have something to do with how we got here?" He asked, running a finger along one of it's smooth sides.

"Most likely." Makoto answered, "I don't see how else it could have happened."

Brad rolled his eyes, "You know what? This is ridiculous."

Makoto opened her mouth to agree, but quickly shut it again, cocking her head to one side and listening carefully, "What was that?"

Brad looked over at her with one eyebrow raised and inquired, "Exactly how hard did you hit your head?"

Makoto shot him an irritated glare, "I heard something! I'm not imagining things! Maybe it's the others. Let's go look."

Brad trudged slowly behind the other girl muttering, "Don't see why we have to go anywhere. I didn't hear anything."

"Quit complaining Brad. Hey, look! I think I see something!" Makoto exclaimed, waving her arms wildly toward a small dot in the distance.

"It looks like it's moving toward us pretty fast." Brad commented nervously, "What if it's not friendly? I wouldn't be trying to get its attention like that…"

"Well I would." Makoto snapped, annoyed with him for making a point, "Besides, I don't care what it is as long as it can tell us how to get home."

"If you say so." Brad shrugged.

"Hey, that's not just one dot! It's two!" Makoto pointed out, "And they look like people."

Makoto began running toward the two mysterious figures, "Come on!" She yelled over her shoulder to Brad, who reluctantly sprinted behind her. Finally, the figures in question came into sight.

"Hey, wait…is that Lee?" Brad asked suddenly.

"It is Lee!" Makoto exclaimed, "And Rei!"

"Makoto! Brad!" The person in front yelled. The sound of his voice confirmed their suspicions.

"Lee! Rei! You're here too!" Brad said as the two kids ran up to them, out of breath.

"Uh~huh. But there's no time to talk. We have to get out of here!" Lee said quickly, giving the two of them a look of urgency.

"But what are we running from?" Makoto asked. Before anyone could answer, the ground began to tremble and a giant dragon burst out of the sand, eyes afire with fury.

"Oh. My. God." Brad gasped, staring wide-eyed and the monster in front of him. Yanking his camera out of the bag at his side, he lifted it to his eye and snapped a few shots. Makoto's jaw dropped.

"What are you, crazy?! This is no time for pictures!! Let's go." She screeched at the boy. Realizing he wasn't planning on moving, she grabbed him roughly by the wrist and ran. Lee and Rei were right behind them.

"What is that?" Makoto yelled at Lee, "And why is it chasing us?!"

Lee gave her a "how should I know?" look. The girl sighed in exasperation and stole a look over her shoulder to see if the dragon was gaining on them, "Um…you guys? It stopped."

Everyone turned to watch as the dragon opened its enormous mouth and yelled, "Demon Flame!"

"It talked…" Rei said slowly.

Suddenly, a large black fireball formed in the dragon's hands, growing in size as the seconds went by.

"Um…" Lee said, "What's it doing?"

The dragon drew back one hand, and hurled the fireball directly at the horrified children.

~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~

Upo n waking up and finding herself lying on the beach, surrounded by miles of sand, and utterly alone…Sky did the one thing that came to mind. She walked. And walked, and walked, and walked…

After what seemed like years of trudging through the sand, she spotted something in the distance. It was a dense green forest. Normally, she wouldn't waste her time walking that far for a forest, but…these were no normal circumstances. In fact, they just about crossed the boundaries of reality. And so, Sky made the distant forest her destination.

She never got there.

"Oh!" The blonde haired girl exclaimed suddenly, staring at something lying contentedly in the sand. It seemed to be a fluffy, pink…well…a fluffy pink something. Her quiet yell startled the fluffy, pink something or another out of its sleep, causing it to open its huge sea-blue eyes and blink at her tiredly. And then it realized what it was staring at.

"You're digidestined!" The small creature proclaimed all of a sudden, eyes snapping open to their full size, and perhaps a bit further. Jumping to it's feet and staring at Sky in wonderment, the creature unfolded a pair of transparent wings and flapped them excitedly.

Waking up all alone in a strange land had put Sky on edge. The beach had intensified the situation. The endless walking was pushing it. The small talking furball was the last straw.

"WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?!" Sky yelled, bordering on hysteria. The small creature before her shied back in fear at her sudden outburst. Sky sat down hard on the ground, on the verge of tears.

"What's wrong?" The pink furball asked slowly, taking several cautious steps forward.

Sky raised her deep blue eyes to meet those of the strange being, "I don't know where I am, or where my friends are. I don't know how I got here, and I don't know how I'm going to get home."

Her small companion looked surprised, "You don't know where you are!? But you must know! You're digidestined!"

Sky rolled her eyes, "What on earth does that mean? And who are you? Or rather, what are you?"

"I am Riamon." She stated, "And I'm a digimon. You're in the Digiworld, my home."

"Ok." Sky said, not knowing how else to reply, "What about this digidestined thing?"

"The digidestined are the saviors of this world! They have come before in times of hardship, and saved the digiworld. And now, in this world's darkest hour, you have come again!" Riamon said passionately, wings beating harder than ever, and lifting her a few inches off the ground.

Sky frowned, "Uh…I think you've got the wrong girl. This is all a mistake. "

"No, it can't be!" Riamon exclaimed, "You see Sky, I'm your partner. There is no mistake."

Upon hearing the digimon use her name, Sky gasped in surprise and stammered, "But…but…how?"

Riamon smiled, a comical expression on her small face, "I've been waiting for you Sky. And now that you're here, we will all be saved!"

~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~

When Tai finally walked through the front door of his apartment, where the others were waiting, a considerable change could be noted in his features. His shoulders no longer slumped, and his eyes were bright and determined. This alone brought a smile to more than one worried face.

"Alright, enough wallowing in self pity." The brown haired man stated, setting Makoto's soccer ball gently on the couch. The determination in his eyes flickered briefly, but, the moment passed and Tai turned to face his former teammates, "Izzy, you still have that computer of yours?"

Izzy nodded numbly, pulling the laptop out and opening the lid. Tai noticed the look of despair clearly written across his face and said, "Hey, don't worry. We'll get her back!"

"Tai I don't want to lose her like I lost Kim." Izzy said softly, pain evident in his eyes. Silence reigned in the small apartment, and everyone's thoughts shifted to the beautiful young woman who had once been Mrs. Izumi.

Tai's expression softened, "Izzy, she's Digidestined. We made it through all those years. They will too. Rei included."

Matt nodded, "We'll make sure of that."

Izzy smiled gratefully and returned his attention to the computer screen in front of him, "Thanks guys. Now…let me see if I can open the gate to the digital world……."

~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~
"It's going to hit us!!" Brad yelled.

"Get DOWN!" Makoto pushed Brad onto the ground and leaped out of the way of the ball of fire. A searing pain shot through her arm, and she realized she hadn't been fast enough. Hugging the burnt arm to her chest, she looked around to make sure everyone else was ok.

Lee noticed her arm and ran over to her, "Are you alright?"

Makoto bit her lip and nodded, turning back to the dragon with fire in her eyes, "What do you want with us?"

Brad stood up and walked up behind Makoto, "I am SO sorry! I didn't mean to-"

Makoto cut him off, "Forget it."

Rei watched the small exchange between the two, and then shifted her gaze back to the monster in front of them. Their eyes met momentarily, and she was surprised to see something unexpected in the dragon's eyes. Regret. Sorrow.

"Why do you want to kill us?" She asked gently.

The dragon lowered it's eyes, "I…don't. You're just children. How can I kill you? How can I?"

Makoto looked extremely startled, "What do you mean? Why were you trying to kill us in the first place?"

The dragon backed away from the small group slowly, a haunted look in his eyes, "You're the digidestined! The enemies of the power of darkness. Artimon ordered me to eliminate you…"

"Artimon?" Rei asked, still using her gentle, friendly tone.

The dragon's eyes widened, "You're in danger. Every moment you spend with me, could get you killed. Please, just go. I don't want to kill you."

Rei smiled, "At least tell us who you are?"

"I am Dracomon." He said slowly, his low, booming voice etching the name in their memories.

"Thank you, Dracomon." Makoto said, taking a step foreward.

Dracomon shook his head, "Don't thank me…please. I would have killed you."

With this, he unfolded an enormous pair of wings and took to the air. He was gone in seconds, leaving the children even more confused than before.

~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~:*~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~

Sky stared at Riamon, a blank expression on her face, "This is insane."

Riamon looked slightly hurt, "How can you say that? I have waited for you all my life!"

Sky stared, "Is this real?"

The pink digimon nodded, and Sky sighed, "Look, I'm sorry Riamon. I just don't know what to do…"

Riamon smiled. She looked as if she was about to say something, but she didn't get the chance. There was a strange sound in the air. It sounded almost like the flapping of giant wings…

"What on earth?" Sky asked, looking around quickly. And then she saw it, "Oh God. That's a dragon."

Riamon looked absolutely terrified, "That's Dracomon. He is with the power of darkness. If he sees you, he'll destroy you!"

Dracomon got closer and closer, bringing an overwhelming sense of doom with him. Surely, he would kill Sky, when she had nowhere to run. There was no escape. Soon, he was directly above them. Sky looked up fearfully, "I'm going to die."

But Dracomon didn't stop. He didn't try to kill her…or even seem to care that she was there. In fact, he just kept on flying. In no time, he had disappeared from sight completely. Sky's eyes widened, "What just happened?"

Riamon shook her head, "Any dark digimon should have attacked. They hate the digidestined."

"Why?" Sky asked, wondering how someone who she had never even met could hate her.

"Because they know that only the digidestined could tip the scales in the war." Riamon said solemnly, "And the digidestined are on our side."

"What war?" Sky queried, trying to fully understand the situation…though she still had no idea what was happening.

"The war between the powers of darkness and light. The war that has been raging on for years in the digital world, tearing it apart, dividing it until it was down to digimon against digimon." Diamon said softly, "And if it doesn't end soon, the entire digital world will be destroyed forever."

~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~*:~:*~*:~*:~*:~

a/n : And there you have it. The long- awaited Chapter 6 of COD. I hoped it lived up to everyone's expectations!! I'll have chapter 7 out soon.....probably. I'm nearly done with it. Be watching!
~TS

P.S. please review!! Please!!