Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ College Reunion, or Correcting a Past Mistake ❯ Part 8 - Obstacles and Obstructions ( Chapter 8 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

 

College Reunion, or Correcting a Past Mistake
Part 8 - Obstacles and Obstructions
 
By Robster80 (R80)
Co-Written by TheUNB
 
WARNING: This story is for 18 or older readers! There's foul language, and sexual content. The latter won't be in every chapter, but there will be in a few of them. If you are under 18, PLEASE stop reading right now and turn back!
You have been warned.
 
DISCALIMER: I do NOT, repeat, do NOT own any of the characters in this story! This is FANFICTION, so this is written for fun, not profit! I don't even own the songs or the matching lyrics to said songs used as chapter breaks
 
Previously - Called to an impromptu meeting with his band and its manager, TK helped pick two songs to consider for the forthcoming amateur night at the White Cat Club. During this meeting, the manager, Nami Hayabusa, learned that TK once had a relationship with Kari, who was in a class with Kakyoin and Kari; she later was told by TK about their past, including when they became lovers through to the break-up and beyond. Concerned a little for her band's keys player, Nami quietly tested Kari during their computer graphics and photoshop class, learning Kari's determination to make up to TK for all she had done to him…
 
“There's something `bout love that breaks your heart, whoa-oh-oh-oh! It sets you free…” Lyrics from “Something `Bout Love” by David Archuleta
 
“So… Takaishi and Yagami know each other?”
 
“Yes, Sero, we've established that,” Neito Monoma snapped impatiently. He, Minoru Mineta, Hanta Sero, and Danki Kaminari were meeting in a section of the campus library, discussing recent events concerning Hikari “Kari” Yagami, Monoma's “reluctant” love interest. “It seems, according to our source, the two of them knew each other going back over a decade when they were in Odaiba.”
 
“What else did she say?” Kaminari asked, curious.
 
“That they used to date, but they broke up just before Takaishi moved away when they were 14 and until recently they had not seen each other for over five years. As for why they broke up, she says her intel is spotty, but Hikari admitted she cheated on Takaishi-.”
 
“Heh, probably wanted more than some dull dweeb-.”
 
“As much as I agree, Mineta, shut up! ...But apparently Hikari was overcome with guilt and she confessed her cheating to Takaishi, who took it bad enough he likely dumped her.”
 
“If so… why are they-?”
 
Monoma glared at Mineta. “Because our source says that Hikari foolishly believes she still has feelings for him, as much as it sickens me to say it. However, I still have a chance as it seems they're only starting over as friends.” He stood up slowly from the table the four of them were sitting at. “I just need to get Hikari to see that he's not worth crying over, or worth trying to get back into his so-called good graces. I just need Takaishi to be distracted.”
 
Mineta and Kaminari both smirked. Sero, however, remained neutral.
 
“Luckily, our source is willing to try and be that distraction.”
 
“Oh, so you don't trust us to do it, don't you?”
 
“You three stooges, and I use the term with utmost disrespect, couldn't even handle Hikari while she's at her job tending the bar. No… we'll leave it to our source… after all, she has a reputation as a man-magnet and a heart-breaker to uphold, and she has yet to give us bad information on Hikari… given they're roommates.
 
“But it's past the cut-off time for her to reply to all communications. Even so, I'll send a text…” And Monoma brought up his contacts list and selected a particular name before he selected to send a text message. He quickly typed as it was soon time for the library to close for the night, but eventually he finished his typing and hit the “Send” icon.
 
His phone showed a brief message: “Text sent to Ayaka Yukihiro.”
 
“You come on with it, come on, you don't fight fair… that's okay, see if I care.” Lyrics from “Hit Me With Your Best Shot” by Pat Benatar
 
Kou could hardly believe what Cherise was telling him. “She told who?!” he said into his phone.
 
Mina Ashido and Camie Utsushimi-. Kou, just breathe! They both promised to keep it a secret AND help Kari in any way they can.
 
“Even so, this is starting to get out of hand. If anymore people find out about Kari and TK's past, it'll be harder to keep it from the wrong ears. Plus Utsushimi talks too much-.”
 
Chillax, cousin - I already warned her of the consequences if she blabs. IF she does let it slip, you and I both will give her plenty of punishment. With Kazuma recording it all.
 
“...Never thought I'd say this but I think Kimishima's right - you HAVE been around me for too long, you're picking up my mean streak.”
 
Well we are related by blood, remember. And at least Kazuma accepts me for who I am.
 
“Yeah, yeah - just remember that until you have a college diploma in your hands, he's not marrying you OR sleeping with you, period.”
 
Will you quit reminding me about that?!
 
“Just keeping you from temptation. As much as I like Kazuma, you need to have something besides your good looks, near-perfect figure, and kick-ass attitude.”
 
Using my own words against me - that's a new low, Kou.
 
“Love you, too, Cherise.” Kou then felt his phone vibrate and checked it, seeing an incoming call. “Cherise, I gotta go - the boss is calling me. We'll talk later.” Quickly he switched calls. “Hello, Robin.”
 
Hello, Kou. I need a favor.
 
“Name it.”
 
That's what I like about you - you agree to whatever I ask first before you can ask me any questions. Anyway, I was thinking it was time to bring back the bi nyte dance for the club.
 
Kou raised an eyebrow, though since he was on the phone, it was a wasted action. “Bi nyte dance, eh? How risque will it be?”
 
Low key - no stripping but you and the girl you dance with will be semi-scantily clothed.
 
“Wait, me?! Why me? What about Shino?”
 
Poor dear's out on medical leave as of yesterday… too much salty foods and drinks, not enough citrus and water.
 
Kou twitched. “I told the stupid SOB he was giving himself a kidney stone! How big is it?”
 
12 millimeters. The operation is next month and until then he's on a restricted diet and on pain meds on top of taking time off of work.
 
“Can I clobber him-?”
 
No, you cannot! So are you in, or do I need to find someone else? The girls all trust you.
 
“Oh for-! ...Fine, I'll do it. But I get the final say on whom my dance partner will be. Deal?”
 
Sealed. We'll discuss it at the club this weekend. Uh, by the way, would you know how Hikari and Takeru are doing?
 
“Only sorta. The latest update I got from Cherise was… Ashido and Ustushimi know what's going on as of yesterday. The two joined Kari and TK for one of TK's piano practices and when those two got very curious, Kari had no choice but to tell them.”
 
I see… well, Ashido is alright, though it's Ustushimi that worries me. Not only is she a talker but also has a roving eye.
 
“From what Cherise said, Ustushimi's given up on TK. And speaking of Cherise, she's warned both girls of the consequences. Yes, I'm a bad influence on my cousin.”
 
Well, that's somewhat good news.
 
“But still, that's at least two more people who know what's going on between TK and Kari… anymore and it might get out of hand. And what I'm worried about most is Yukihiro, Kari and Cherise's other roommate, finding out the full truth.”
 
Why is that?
 
“Because the three of us know she's a bit too proper to understand Kari let her sex drive get the better of her, or that she had been forced to commit incest. Plus she kinda has a stick up her ass; she almost flipped when she found out Kari works at your club without knowing Kari's only a bartender.”
 
Hmmm, you're probably right. And I would shudder to think what would happen if four certain male students find this out as well.
 
~Oh, right, she knows about Monoma semi-stalking Kari, and she especially knows about the pervy trio.~ “That, too.” Kou then noticed the time. “Hate to cut this call off, boss lady, but I have an errand to run before I hit the club; I want to go over those new security systems we just installed.”
 
Alright. We'll speak again soon.
 
“Guess I had to go away, so much I had to go through, guess I had to lose you to realize how much I love you.” Lyrics from “I Don't Wanna Live Without Your Love” by Chicago
 
“That's the last of them,” TK said, dusting his hands after he finished arranging a stack of boxes of Nintendo Switch Lites on a high shelf. “How's that, Ral-san?” he asked, turning to his boss while still on the ladder..
 
Ramba Ral turned, saw TK's work, and he smiled. “Terrific! You even assorted them by colors. Great work, TK. Come on down.”
 
“Thank you, sir.”
 
It was Thursday late afternoon, and TK was working his part-time job at a game store. So far it had been a good day - his classes went without any problems, his homework was light, his article was finished and he emailed it to Yagi-san that morning… most of all, Kari promised to meet him for his meal break and bring him food from the local McDonald's (he heard the McRib sandwich was back on the menu so he really looked forward to having one).
 
Despite their schedules, Kari and TK had time not only for the dinner they had to reschedule from Monday, but also TK was able to interview Kari for his article on the White Cat. They did talk about Nami and the sneaky way she “talked” to Kari after TK had told his band's manager his side of the story, but Kari was assured that Nami would keep her mouth shut. While Kari was a bit upset TK had talked to Nami about their past, she told him, given Mina and Camie had pressed her for info as well, she understood why he had talked to Nami.
 
~At least that Camie girl won't try asking me out anymore,~ TK thought as he recalled Kari and his conversation after he interviewed her for his article.
 
“So when will you grab yourself one of these?” Ral asked TK.
 
“Huh?”
 
“The Switch Lite. You mentioned you might buy yourself one.”
 
“Oh, yeah. Uh... maybe later. I kinda have other priorities right now.” TK then closed up the ladder and moved to put it away.
 
“You alright, son? You seem… different this week.”
 
“I'm fine, Ral-san. Just… I reconnected with an old friend I haven't seen in years, and we're… taking it slow, or trying to.”
 
“It's a girl, isn't it?” ~Explains why my bottom is feeling a bit itchy.~ Ral stopped when they heard the door to the store open. “Ah, welcome! Can we help you today?”
 
“Yes, I-. TK, is that you?”
 
TK saw the man who had walked in, and he paled a bit - it was Kari's father. “Y-Yagami-san!”
 
Ral looked back and forth between his employee and the customer. “Oh, you two know each other? TK, why are you-?”
 
“He used to date my daughter,” Mr. Yagami replied, never taking his eyes off of TK. “At least until she made some mistakes and he ended their relationship.”
 
“I'm a dead man, aren't I?”
 
To TK's surprise, Mr. Yagami laughed heartily. “TK, I didn't come here to hunt you down, and I promise I'm not going to do you physical harm or any harm period.” ~Though you DID sleep with my baby girl, but I'm not so petty I'd announce that aloud here.~ “I'm just here on my way to surprise my daughter with a visit, but I saw you had the new Switch Lite and I wanted to take a look at them.”
 
~Oh, right, Kari's dad is a gamer, too…~ “We just put them out for display.” TK said, pointing above at the high shelves.
 
“Why so high up?”
 
“Those things are priced at $200 apiece,” Ral answered, “and right now I don't have the money or the space for another glass casing big enough to store those, so they go on the out-of-reach display shelves along with the bigger consoles I sell here.”
 
“Ah, I understand now. What's the difference between that and the original Switch?”
 
“The Lite is mainly a portable handheld only,” TK explained, “so you can't connect it to a TV. Also the screen is a bit smaller, and the Joy-Con is built into the system, unlike the original where it's detachable.”
 
“Can you play all the Switch games on it, though?”
 
“Only those that don't require TV Mode functionality, and tabletop games require a separate Joy-Con controller for full usage. The Lite is mainly for games that feature Handheld Mode.” TK took a nearby game and brought it over to show Mr. Yagami a symbol on the back of the game's casing. “See this little symbol here? That represents Handheld Mode. If the game doesn;t show this symbol� on the back like this one does here, then it won't work at all for the Lite.”
 
“My boy here knows his stuff, even if he favors that Xbox system from America.”
 
Mr. Yagami took the game from TK and looked it over. “I think I understand now-. Wait a second!” He turned the game case around, to its front. “They remade Link's Awakening?!”
 
“Yes, it was released alongside the Lite to help promote it.” TK then smirked. “As I recall, you loved that game.”
 
Mr. Yagami looked at the game like a child at Christmas. However, he then reluctantly handed the game back to TK. “Here, put it away, quick… if I cave and buy this and a Switch Lite, my wife will strangle me.”
 
“Good call.” TK put the game back just as the store's door opened again.
 
“Hi, TK, here-.” Kari almost dropped the bags and drink carrier she was holding. “Dad?!”
 
“Oh, hi honey.”
 
~That's the ex-girlfriend? No wonder my bottom's so itchy now, she's a looker…~ “I take it she's-?”
 
“She's Mr. Yagami's daughter, yes, and my best friend for years and my… former girlfriend. We're… picking back up the pieces slowly.”
 
Kari narrowed her eyes at her father. “Dad, what are you doing here?”
 
“I just came in to ask about that new Nintendo handheld, honey. Honest. ...And I wanted to stop by and check on you after your mother told me you and TK here met again and were starting over.”
 
“Daddy…” Kari growled, not totally convinced.
 
“I wasn't looking to do him harm, I swear! Hell, I didn't even know he was here until I walked in the damn door!” ~Please don't blow up on me like you did with Sora and Mimi….~
 
TK quickly decided to diffuse the situation and fast. “Uh, Ral-san, perhaps it would be best if I went on my meal break now.”
 
“Oh-oh, sure thing! Go ahead. You and your friend and her dad should take this outside. Far outside. Don't bother clocking out, your shift's not long enough to warrant it.”
 
“Be back in 20 minutes!” TK moved fast, grabbing Mr. Yagami first by the arm and leading him and Kari out of the store and down the street to a nearby bench where they all sat down. “That could have gone worse,” he admitted loudly, before Kari handed him a bag and his drink. “Thanks.”
 
“Sorry about that-.”
 
“No, don't worry about it, Kari. Though your dad honestly did want to know about the Switch Lite, and I was answering his inquiries.”
 
“...You buy a new game system and mom-.”
 
“Oh, he was a good boy-,er, man, Kari - he told me what the consequences would be if he did by a Switch Lite and the remake of Link's Awakening.”
 
“I'm only human, you know… hey is that a McRib?!”
 
Kari bit into hers and chewed a little before she spoke, after swallowing. “Sorry, Daddy, I only bought one each for TK and me.”
 
“Fair enough… so, anyway… I was surprised to hear that you two not only are at the same school, and the same apartment building, but also you've agreed to start fresh.”
 
“Yes, dad/sir.”
 
“So then… no dates?”
 
“We've started back at square one, Yagami-san; we're friends, not boyfriend and girlfriend. If anything, we call them `outings.'”
 
“Fair enough. ...Mind if I have some fries?” Mr. Yagami thanked TK after the latter held up his fries container to share. “So, TK… seeing anybody?”
 
“No, sir - still single.”
 
“...Oh, right, you and Kari both made vows to stay single indefinitely. ...Well, it's late, but… I'm glad at least you didn't go ballistic on my little girl when she told you her mistakes.”
 
“Frankly, I'd have preferred it if he had yelled at me.”
 
“I was a jumble of emotions, unlike that night Sora and Mimi… ...you know.”
 
“Sora and Mimi? What about them?”
 
“Those two tried to get TK to have some `fun' with them, dad. But TK was stronger than they gave him credit for. ...And he was more loyal than I had been...
 
“...I think I have new respect for you, son. Still…” Mr. Yagami gave TK a disapproving look. “You're very lucky you didn't make me and my wife grandparents before we were ready. ...Okay, I got it out of my system.”
 
“...Thanks for not hitting me, sir-.”
 
“Quit calling me that, you sound like that one girl from Charlie Brown. And you're welcome. Though you should thank my wife more than me, if she hadn't made me listen fully to the whole story, I would have likely tracked you down no matter where you moved to-. OUCH!”
 
Retracting her hand after pinching her father in his leg, Kari glared at him. “TK was hurt enough by what I did to him, dad; if anyone was at fault to begin with it was me. After all, it was my idea that he and I… took it to the next level.”
 
~Even so, he broke your heart as much as you broke his…~ Suddenly Mr. Yagami felt his phone vibrate and he checked to see a text message from Mrs. Yagami, which read You'd better not have snuck off to see Kari and TK, OR buy a new video game, mister! It's 80's night and you promised me you'd be here on time! “Oh sh-, shoot! Forgot what tonight was! I gotta run!” Jumping from the bench, Mr. Yagami turned. “I'll talk to you later, honey. Good luck. TK, good to see you. You take care of my little girl!” and he raced off.
 
“...Bet you he forgot he and mom had plans tonight,” Kari remarked with a smirk.
 
“Sucker's bet. Though frankly, he'd have every right to hit me or even just rough me up some.”

“TK-.”
 
“Kari, we did hide at the time how deep our relationship was from your folks and my mother.”
 
“...Okay, good point. And thanks for not talking him into buying a new game system, even if it would have meant he got the remake of his and my favorite Zelda game.” Kari smiled. “Mom really would have killed him.”
 
“What, she doesn't like that series?”
 
“She's more of a Mario fan. So… with dad gone… what are your plans for this weekend?”
 
“Need to wait for after classes tomorrow to see how much homework I need to do, same as you do. And as for the band, we're waiting on whether or not we'll be at the club for amateur night before we set up any practices.”
 
“Think you could come by the White Cat Saturday night?”
 
“Sure.”
 
“Thanks. ...Monoma's upped his game with me today - I can almost see him wherever I go.”
 
“Ah, so you want a bodyguard to walk you home from work?”
 
“Oh dear,” Kari said in a mocking tone, “my diabolical plan is revealed.” Then both of them laughed.
 
“Well, fancy seeing you two here.”
 
Heads turned, and both Kari and TK smiled. “Hello, Kou,” Kari said happily.
 
“Hey, Kou.”
 
“What's up with you two?”
 
“TK's on break from work at the game store up ahead, and I brought him dinner.”
 
“McDonald's?”
 
“Need I remind you that I spent about four years in America?”
 
“Touche.”
 
“What are you up to?” Kari then asked.
 
Shrugging, Kou replied, “I finished checking the new security stuff at the club, and now I'm on my way home. ...I smell barbecue sauce.”
 
“McRib sandwich.” TK held up an empty package, which had some red stains on the inside sides. “They finally brought it back after over a year of hiatus.”
 
“I… Uh, no, nevermind. It's making me angry at Shino again.”
 
“Shino?”
 
“He works at the White Cat, mostly as a bouncer.” Kari looked at Kou. “What did he do now?”
 
“Oh, went and got himself a good-sized kidney stone and now he's out until the operation and afterwards.”

Kari rolled her eyes. “Well you DID warn him to dial it back on what he eats and such.”
 
“Yeah, and the timing is either totally off or just right… because Robin-san is reviving the bi nyte dance skit at the club.”

TK blinked twice. “What… is a bi nyte dance?” He turned to Kari, who was blushing. “Is it that naughty-?”
 
“No, but it involves a male and a female dancer doing the skit at the same time. And rather… semi-intimately.”
 
“Least it's not a full sex show live. They do those in either Central or South America. Sometimes it's two guys and one girl-.”

“Please, we're eating!” TK begged, making a disgusted face.
 
“Oh, sorry. ...Would you rather it be two girls and one guy instead?” Seeing both TK and Kari glare at him, Kou slapped himself in the face. “You're right, bad joke. Forget I brought it up.”
 
Checking his watch, TK finished his drink quickly. “Back to work for me.” He looked at Kari. “Any stains on my face?”
 
“Just wipe your mouth and you're okay.”
 
A quick yet thorough wipe of his lips with a napkin and TK took his trash and deposited it into the nearby wastecan. “Thanks for dinner, Kari. I'll let you know about my workload tomorrow after my classes are done. See ya! Kou, it's been too real.”
 
“See ya. ...Sorry, Hika, that joke was in poor taste, I know that now.”
 
“It's alright,” Kari sighed in reply. “Cherise did warn me you'd never make it as a stand-up comedian.”
 
“One thing about me she got right.”
 
“Only one?”
 
Kou smirked playfully. “So what's up? I get the feeling I missed something.”
 
“Just my dad showing up unannounced. He's a geek, my dad; loves video games.”
 
“...Of all the game stores, in all the towns, in all of Japan,” Kou said in his best imitation of Humphrey Bogart.
 
“Yep - he found TK the unexpected way.”
 
“Well… TK looks like he's in one piece.”

Kari gave a chuckle. “Yeah, dad has no intention of hitting TK. But I like to get on his case about it, since he wasn't thrilled TK and I-.”
 
“Yeah, typical dad.”
 
“...Plus once mom explained everything in a way he understood, he split his sympathies between TK and me.”
 
“How'd he take it when he learned the whole truth?”
 
“Pretty good. ...He fainted dead away once mom finished explaining everything. She expected him to flip-.”
 
“Hey, how about we change subjects, huh?”
 
“Sure.” Kari threw her garbage away. “Walk me home?”
 
“Soitenly - Cherise warned me Monoma is starting to up his game.”
 
“Lucky for me, Camie and Mina intercepted him so I could bring TK his dinner tonight.”
 
After six hours of school, I had enough for the day. I hit the radio dial and turn it up all the way. I gotta dance (dance, dance, dance, now the beat's really hot)!” - Lyrics from “Dance, Dance, Dance” by the Beach Boys
 
Saturday morning, and TK was first up. Unusual on a Saturday as he usually slept in, but for some reason he was awake and couldn't get back to sleep. So he got up and turned on his computer to check his emails. Sure enough, there were two new ones - one from Yagi-san, and one from Robin. He read the one from Yagi-san first:
 
Terrific work, kid! One or two spelling errors you missed, but otherwise the piece is fantastic. I forwarded it to Robin, and she loves it; she asked for your email so she can write you personally. Next issue prints Monday and the article will be in it.
 
Will be in touch once I get a new assignment for you, but expect a nice little bonus in your next paycheck.
 
-Toshinori Yagi
 
PS: Robin requested two copies of the magazine, one to send to your mom; she said your mom would want to read it.
 
~Good, good!~ TK smiled as he moved to Robin's email.
 
Takeru, thank you for a wonderful piece! I asked Toshi for your email to thank you for such a wonderful article about the club, and that he sends me two copies of the magazine so I can give one to Natsu, she'll want to see her baby boy's latest masterpiece.
 
I hope things are going well for you and Hikari.
 
Love, Robin
 
Feeling very satisfied, TK saved his emails, and then left his room to go make breakfast. As he started cooking, Shuichi came out fully dressed. “Morning, Shuichi.”

“Morning.”
 
“How come you're already dressed?”
 
“You forget already? I'm taking weekend dance classes twice a month starting today.”
 
“...Oh, right. Sorry.” TK held up an opened carton of egg whites. “How do you want your eggs?”
 
“Thanks, but no time.” Shuichi grabbed a box of PopTarts and put two into the toaster before he checked the settings and turned it on. “How's your homework load?”
 
“Lite, again. I finished it all last night.”
 
“Any plans for today?”
 
“Mostly going to chill here, but tonight I promised Kari I'd be at the White Cat to walk her home. She has a shorter shift tonight.”
 
“Everything okay with her?”
 
TK frowned a little. “Monoma seems to be more of a pest to her as of late.”
 
“Well, given you and Kari are such close friends, he sees that as-.”
 
“I know what he sees it as. And while Kari's not my girlfriend, the way he comes onto her rubs me the wrong way worse than our old friend Daisuke used to.”
 
“Speaking of old friends, I take it still no update from your brother and his gal about joining our band for the gig?”
 
“Matt's flight got delayed due to a hurricane that right now is skirting the eastern coast of Florida, so he'll be back later than originally planned. He'll give me his answer then. As for Mimi, she's up for it.”
 
The toaster shot up its contents and Shuichi used a napkin to grab his breakfast. “I'll see you when I get back, TK. Oh, and if Kari comes over at all-.”
 
“We won't go near your room,” TK finished, “now get going, you joker.”
 
Shuichi left, and seconds later Fumikage emerged, still in his pajamas. “What's cooking, good looking?”
 
“You feeling alright, Fumikage?”
 
“Well it rhymed.” Fumikage sniffed again. “Eggs?”
 
“Egg whites.”
 
“Any bacon left?”
 
“Nope - you and Shuichi wiped it out yesterday. So with your egg whites, it's either toast, or…” TK tried to recall what they had left for breakfast items. “...Toast.”
 
Fumikage went to the fridge and, while taking out the orange juice, he saw an apple in the fruit drawer. “Who's apple is this?”
 
“That was mine, but if you want it, take it.”
 
“Thanks, I'll buy more today when I do the shopping.” Fumikage then checked the front of the fridge for the shopping money minibasket that was magnetically hanging on the door. Inside were three bundles of money, each tied with a rubber band and included slips of paper with each person's name on them as well as shopping lists. “Will Kari be over today?”
 
“Maybe, maybe not. All I know is tonight I'll be picking her up at the club and walking her home after 10pm.”
 
“Mind if I make an observative opinion?” Without waiting for an answer, Fumikage blurted out “You seem happier these days. Ever since last Saturday night, you look like you lost whatever weight you've been carrying since we first met.”
 
TK paused in moving the cooked egg whites from the frying pan onto two plates. “...You could say that, yeah.” Finishing emptying the pan, TK turned on the sink and let the water heat up before he rinsed the frying pan and then added soap to let the water soak within it before he handed a plate to Fumikage and they sat down at the table. “Kari… she's more than just my best friend. ...She's my first love.”
 
“And yet despite you broke up with her, I'm guessing-.”
 
“Part of me still loves her, yeah. But we're taking it slowly, seeing if we can get back to that point without rushing or making things worse between us.”
 
“How close were you two, before it ended?”
 
“...Nobody else knew each other so well as Kari and I did. When we were still under 10, our older brothers began commenting that we were like husband and wife. They were joking, of course… or maybe they knew something neither of us did at the time.”
 
“...What happened?”
 
TK shook his head. “It's not something to discuss while we're eating. And besides, I may just go back to bed when I finish, I'm a bit tired.”
 
“Fair enough. Want me to take care of washing the dishes?”
 
“Thanks.” After putting his finished plate and silverware in the sink, TK went back to his room and got back into bed, closing his eyes. Sometime later, he woke up… and saw Kari sitting in his desk chair beside his bed. “...Kari?”
 
Kari, leaning forward while resting her chin in both hands, waved casually. “Hi.”
 
Using one hand, TK rubbed the sleep from his eyes while still laying on his side. “What time is it?”
 
“9:37. Fumikage let me in before he went shopping. He said you were still asleep so I slipped in and sat down here watching you. Brought back a few memories.”
 
TK slowly sat up, recalling on occasion Kari would do exactly what she had done years ago after he had moved back to Odaiba, before they had started dating. “What do you find interesting in watching me sleep?”
 
“I just do.”
 
“...I recall sometimes you'd slip into bed with me and listen-.”
 
Kari's smile brightened. “To your heartbeat, yeah. So… have a nice dream?” She casually pointed at his lower half…
 
And TK saw he was tented at his pajama pants. He facepalmed; he wasn't that embarrassed since it was nothing Kari hadn't seen before, but it was annoying given he didn't even have any kind of dream that should have aroused him. “Even after all these years, it still has a mind of its own.”
 
Giggling, Kari got up from her chair. She thought about making a joke about “helping” TK get rid of his so-called morning wood, but she decided against it. “I'll just wait outside while you change and calm that bugger down. Oh, and the reason why I came over? Ayaka said she wants to meet you. She's my other roommate.”
 
“Soon as I cool off, I'll come over and meet her. Sorry-.”

“Don't worry about it.” However, after she had left the room, Kari let out a quiet breath while her cheeks turned a soft pink color. ~Damn, he grew…~ She semi-consciously brought a hand up to her chest. ~Wonder if he's noticed my breasts are bigger now since we last were intimate? GAH! Quit it, Kari, or TK'll think you're still a nymphomaniac!~
 
TK, meanwhile, went to his dresser and picked out his wardrobe for the day and set it on his bed before he began changing. Looking down at his still tented front, he frowned while removing his lounge pants. ~What the hell, guy, seriously?! In front of Kari? Just because it's her… we're just friends right now. So what if she's more beautiful than she was from back then? And so what if her front's gotten bigger? It's been over five years, she's grown into a young woman. ...Don't make me take a cold shower, or dump ice cubes down my briefs, because I WILL!~
 
It was slightly difficult changing into fresh clothes, but eventually TK felt his little man begin to calm down and it made him relax some. Fully dressed, he exited his room and found Kari waiting in the main apartment. “Anything I should know about this Ayaka Yukihiro?”
 
“She's from a wealthy and well-respected family, but she's trying to make her own way so she's on a self-limited budget. I've seen some guys chase after her, but I suspect they're more interested in her family's money than her, even though she's a looker. You might like her, though. She's got long blonde hair-.”
 
TK waved a finger. “You forget, Kari, I don't chase after blondes - not after Catherine.”
 
“I thought you and her-?”
 
“She made me see something… her view is that all blondes are somehow connected like family, and when she said that it made me realize that could be true.”
 
“...Are you sure that's the reason and not because she got along better with your granddad instead of you?”
 
“Er, no, that's not it.” Seeing Kari wasn't convinced, TK then sighed. “Okay, yes that was it. Catherine was the first and last blonde girl I… was attracted to, and after I blew it with her I decided blondes were off my radar for good.”
 
~I'm glad for that, otherwise…~ “Also, watch what you say around Ayaka. She… doesn't know the full truth about what I did to hurt you, and I'd like to keep it that way. Unlike Cherise and the other girls, she's not as… flexibly understanding.”
 
“Mum's the word, trust me.” And TK, after grabbing his key for the apartment and his cell phone, followed Kari out and down to her apartment door, which she unlocked and allowed herself and TK to enter. “Nice place. A little more neat and proper from mine.”
 
“That's because it has girls living in here who aren't keen on things being a mess-.” Kari then noticed something… a light blue, lacey bra hanging on Cherise's doorknob. ~Except for Cherise casually leaving her lingerie on her bedroom door!~ She faced TK quickly, blocking him from seeing the bra. “Sit at the table, I'll let Ayaka know you're here!” She then moved quickly to grab the bra and, seeing Cherise's door was unlocked, threw the lingerie onto Cherise's bed before closing the door and then knocking on Ayaka's door. “Ayaka, I brought TK over.”
 
One second!
 
Cherise's door opened and a sleepy Cherise, wearing only panties, appeared. “Kari, wha-?”
 
Kari pushed her back through the door. “TK'S HERE!” she hissed sharply and loud enough to get her anger across before shutting the door, hard. Turning, hoping TK didn't see, Kari was relieved when she didn't see him behind her or anywhere in view (and thus Cherise hadn't been in his vision).
 
Did you say TK's here-?
 
Yes, Cherise, so GET DRESSED FULLY!
 
“You okay, Kari?”
 
“I'm fine, TK.” ~Just frustrated that the only girl living here who's on my side picks the one time to sleep only in her goddamn panties!~
 
Ayaka's door opened and Kari saw her step out, revealing Ayaka was wearing a fancy blouse with light sleeveless jacket and flowing skirt. Kari's nose alerted her to the scent of one of Ayaka's favorite perfumes, and she noticed Ayaka had just a touch of lipstick. “You have a date later I don't know about?”
 
“No. I just want to look my best for meeting the infamous best friend of my roommate.”
 
“That includes perfume and lipstick?”
 
“Well I thought about eyeshadow as well, but then I realized that was too much for a first meeting. So, where is he?”
 
Raising an eyebrow, Kari led Ayaka out into the main apartment, where TK stood looking out the one window. “TK,” Kari said to get his attention before motioning to Ayaka. “Meet Ayaka Yukihiro. Ayaka, meet Takeru `TK' Takaishi.”
 
TK smiled politely at Ayaka. “Hello, Yukihiro.”
 
“Ayaka, please.” She held out her hand, palmside turned down. However, TK simply shook it instead of kissing her hand. Hiding her disappointment, Ayaka said, “So, Takeru-.”
 
“TK, please. I… have a few issues with my given name.”
 
“Kari called you by that name-.”
 
“She's/I'm one of the few exceptions,” TK and Kari explained simultaneously.
 
“...TK it is, then. So, TK… seeing anyone?”
 
“No, I'm single and content at the moment.”

“Not even looking?”
 
“Not really, no.”
 
“Pity… a handsome young man like yourself.” ~Scarred by Hikari betraying you…~ “Or… are you hoping for a certain someone?”
 
“Kari and I-.”

“We're taking it one-.”
 
“Step at a time.”
 
“Baby steps.”
 
Her eye twitching once, Ayaka spoke to both of them while exchanging looks at them. “...Are you two sure you're not related? Like, are you two supposed to be Jaime and Cersei Lannister?”
 
“Hell no,” Kari snapped.
 
“Blondes are absolutely off my radar,” TK added.
 
“...They are?”
 
“Yes. Bad past experience, brought it on myself.”
 
~Well… this will make things a little harder...~ “Care to… talk about it? Sometimes talking helps.”
 
“...Another time, perhaps.”
 
Then, as if on cue, a door opened and Cherise stepped out, fully dressed (Kari mentally thanked the Gods) in a t-shirt and jeans. She mouthed to Kari a quiet “Sorry” before she noticed Ayaka's attire. “Hey, Ayaka, what's the occasion? Got a date?”
 
“Just looking proper for meeting Kari's mysterious TK, Cherise.”
 
“Yes, but the perfume and lipstick were a bit much. Morning, TK.”

“Hello, Cherise.”
 
“Any big plans for today?”
 
“Not really-. Oh!” TK felt his phone go off and he took it out. “Finally - my brother's flight left Florida, seems the hurricane kept away from Florida's mainland and continued northward.”
 
“Good to hear,” Kari commented, “hope the rest of his way home is smooth sailing, or flying I should say.”

TK's phone went off again with a new message. “Uh-oh, Ral-san needs me to come in for a few hours due to a worker suddenly quitting. I'd better get back to my place and change. Sorry, ladies, we'll have to get together another time. See you all later.” And TK quickly left the apartment.
 
Ayaka crossed her arms and metnally fumed. ~Damn it, this is definitely going to be tough.~ “...Tell me, Hikari, whatever possessed you to cheat on such a guy?”

“Ayaka-!”
 
“C'mon, Cherise, even you want to know.”
 
Kari sadly shook her head. “Chalk it up to being young… and not knowing any better than I do now.”
 
Meanwhile, TK quickly changed into his game store clothes and, checking first to ensure he had money for lunch, left his apartment with a note on the door explaining where he was to Fumikage and Shuichi. He walked briskly out of the building and down the streets with his destination fully in mind. However, after entering town, he stopped when two people he recognized had rounded a corner to meet him almost by accident. “Shuichi! Ashido!”
 
“Oh, TK!”
 
“Hi, Takaishi. What's up?”
 
“Called into work at the game store. Another coworker up and quit.”
 
“What's the matter with people today that they don't wanna work anymore?”
 
“You sound like an old man, Shuichi.”
 
“But it's the truth.”
 
“Did you two run into each other, or-?”
 
Mina smiled. “Believe it or not, we're at the same dance class; I've been there since my freshman year. And Iguchi here sure can groove.”
 
“As long as my tail doesn't hit anything or anybody, that is. But Ashido's a far better dancer than I am. I may have to watch her footwork a little.”
 
“Good luck there. Anyway, I gotta run. I'll be back after 5 or so.”
 
“See you, TK.”
 
“Don't work too hard.”
 
As he moved on, TK glanced back and saw Shuichi and Mina talking as if they were now fast friends. It made TK smile… maybe the two of them would become something more… he hoped so, for Shuichi's sake. ~Just hope he doesn't go through what Kari and I did. Him and Mina… she seems very nice. No wonder Kari told her about… us…~
 
“Then along comes a woman… there's a change in the way that you're feeling tonight. Then along comes a woman… and you know that it's right…” Lyrics from “Then Along Comes a Woman” by Chicago
 
To Be Continued...
 
Author's Notes:
 
Hello, everyone.
 
Another non-DIGIMON characters are brought in, though just for brief appearances: Mr. Ral from both GUNDAM BUILD FIGHTERS and GUNDAM BUILD FIGHTER TRY. Of course, he was based on Ramba Ral from the original MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM. He was one of my favorite characters from that series, as he showed he was quite different from the other Principality of Zeon soldiers/officers.
 
I also mentioned, but didn't show, Shino from GUNDAM: IRON-BLOODED ORPHANS. In reality, I had a kidney stone myself, but it was only 9 millimeters; pretty much I wasn't eating and drinking right, and my family had a history with kidney stones (my sis and my dad had them once) so eventually my luck ran out. Not. Fun. But I brought it on myself.
 
The Bi Nyte was TheUNB's idea when we worked on this series. This will come into play more with the next two chapters, especially in Part 10. Also, Ayaka's motives will become clearer as well.
 
Shuichi/Spinner and Mina being paired together, at least from my perspective (honestly I haven't looked it up at all), has never been attempted in any fanfiction for MY HERO ACADEMIA. Since I first saw Spinner in season three of MHA, I've grown quite fond of him. *Shrugs* I blame growing up in the 80s/90s with TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES.
 
And for those who might be asking why Mr. Yagami didn't try to hurt TK for sleeping with Kari… by the time he'd found out his daughter had been intimate with her boyfriend, TK had broken up with her and was long gone. Surely his wife would have made him see that Kari mad mistakes and it cost her both her best friend and one true love. Plus having been told TK was willing to give Kari one last chance AND by starting over as friends and not lovers, Mr. Yagami would have new respect for him. If you think I'm wrong, then maybe I am. I'm only a writer, not a psychiatrist.
 
Thank you for reading this tale. Please read and review (and be kind in said reviews, even if you didn't like it); I really would like some feedback, even critical criticism.
 
Part 9 will come soon.
 
Ja ne! -Robster80 (R80)