Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Dagger in the Heart (R80 Style) ❯ Grief ( Chapter 5 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
DAGGER IN THE HEART
Part 5: Grief

Original story and concept by TakeruG
Rewritten by Robster80


Previously: Mimi was taken to TK in Little Edo, where she found out TK had seen Kari and Davis having sex, thus leading to his current emotional state. With the help of Matt and Metal Garurumon, she began moving TK to a nearby port to send him home. Meanwhile, Davis severed all ties with Kari because of what they had done. Unlike Kari, Davis cared about TK's feelings. However, it will be a long, long time before he can fully redeem himself...


NANCY'S P.O.V.

I've dealt with divorce and having two children who are special kids who have saved the world many times over with Digital Monsters for friends. But I'm still human. I'm still a mother who worries about her baby boy, both my babies, even though Matt lives with my ex-husband.

Right now I'm standing near my computer with Joe, who told me what he knows. TK disappeared during the reunion the kids were having in the Digital World. Kari and Davis had something to do with it, but all Joe told me was that Kari was playing with TK's heart. He didn't know the whole story himself.

A chime comes from his D-terminal, and he checks it. He looks at me. "Stand clear from the computer."

I obey, and the next minute Mimi, Matt, and TK appear on the floor. My eyes are on TK's one hand. It's bandaged, and bleeding a little.

Joe pulls out his medic kit quickly and starts treating the wounds. "Amazing," he says. "The Gekomon and Otamamon did a good job on his wounds, but why is he still bleeding?"

"TK clenched his fist a little," Mimi explains. "He did it when he told me..." She hesitates. My guess is what she's hiding has something to do with Kari and Davis.

Matt's getting impatient. Suspense was never his favorite thing. "What did TK tell you, Mimi? Tell us now!"

"Matt, stop it! If she doesn't want to tell us-."

"I got to see Kari naked..."

All eyes are on my youngest son. Except Mimi's. Hers are closed. I notice even though I'm looking at TK as he goes on, choking back the sobs.

"I saw her... having sex with Davis... by the way she was moaning, she... she wanted him..."

Now I understand. Kari had hurt my son in the worst possible way, worse than I dared to think. But I can hardly believe the same little girl I came to know like a daughter did this.

"Joe, please finish quickly, and then you three get him to bed. I have a phone call to make."

My legs are moving me to the phone when it suddenly rings. I check the caller ID. It's the Kamiyas' number. How ironic. I pick up. "Hello?"

"Nancy, it's Julie."

"I was about to call you. My son just came home."

"Is he alright?"

"His hand is bandaged from several cuts and he's damn near traumatized from watching your daughter fucking her boyfriend she never told TK about. Does that sound like he's alright to you?" I know I sound cold, but I don't care. My son has been hurt and I want retribution. I want blood.

"I'm... I'm so sorry-."

"Julie, as far as I'm concerned, I never want your daughter near TK ever again. If she tries coming to my apartment, I'll have her arrested for harassment or worse."

"She'll be lucky if I even let her out of the house after this. I'm just as upset as you are-."

"You have no idea how pissed I am, lady. I've said all I want to, so don't talk to me for a while. A good long while!"

I hang up before I can hear her say anything else. God, I've never been so mad at anyone since before my divorce. Just then I notice there's no one else in the room. The others must have taken TK to his room by now.



MIMI'S P.O.V.

I don't think I've ever seen Ms. Takaishi like this before. But, it gives me an idea to where Matt got his temper.

Joe's just finished redressing TK's hand, so we can move TK to his room. I think he's cried himself to sleep now. It'll be good for him to get some actual rest.

Matt's muttering about what he'll do to Kari, Davis, and Tai for this. I know he has a right to be angry, but Tai doesn't deserve to be blamed along with Kari. It's possible he didn't know Kari was going to screw Davis today, or that TK would find them doing it. But then, Matt was never really the bright one.

After we get TK in bed, I take off his shoes for him and put them aside. Then I notice a few pictures on his desk; pictures of Kari and him, and some with just her.

That sweet, angelic face; that pearly smile; and those honest eyes. All of them a great deception. A mask to hide the real Hikari Kamiya, nothing more.

TK shouldn't see them when he wakes up. It'll bring the pain back, and stronger than before.

Matt notices as I start taking the pictures out form their frames. He then starts helping me with them. "Good thinking, Mimi. He's been through enough today."

"We should get rid of everything that reminds him of Kari."

Matt quietly gives Joe and I orders as we remove every item that he knows links TK to Kari. When we finish, we carry them out and set them on the couch. Ms. Takaishi sees this, but doesn't say anything. Instead she goes to the closet, probably looking for a box to put what we brought into.


JUN'S P.O.V.

Something's going on here, and I don't like it. First I get a call from Tai Kamiya that my folks are to call his when they get home, and then Davis walks in, doesn't say a word, and starts gathering his movies and video games into a big box. He even put in his bedroom phone.

"You plan on moving somewhere?"

He throws in the last of his movies before shoving the box into my arms.

"Give that to mom and dad," he tells me. "I'm grounding myself."

"Grounding yourself?!"

"Yup. For a few months. Maybe a year or so. Depends on what our parents say. When they come in, get me. I'll be in my room, staring at the wall or the ceiling."

My eyes shift from the box full of his junk to his retreating body. Maybe he's sick. "Why are you doing this?"

But he doesn't answer. He just shuts his door and locks it.

I wonder if this is all a dream.


MATT'S P.O.V.

Joe's gone now, which is good. I'm grateful for his help, but we don't need him here for what's next.

Something about Mimi's been bugging me for a while now. She practically volunteered to go after TK when Kari and Davis came back with the remains of the ornament. And what did she mean by me having a girlfriend? Is she still upset about Sora and me being together?

No. I see now she didn't want me going after TK was because of my happiness with Sora. He'd be angry with me because I got the girl of my dreams, and his dream girl shattered his dreams. It was right for Mimi to do what she did. It was right that she found TK first and talked to him.

They're gonna pay for this, little brother. Kari, Davis, Tai, all three of them are so dead if I ever get my hands on them!

"Matt."

I look at her, seeing a sort of angry expression. "What?"

"Despite what you think, you shouldn't blame Tai for this."

"Why the hell not?! He knew Kari was stringing TK along." That's when it hits me. "He told you, didn't he?"

"He told me he wanted Kari to tell TK the truth-."

"Then you knew Kari was deluding my brother!"

"Not till today-."


MIMI'S P.O.V.

Before I can finish, Matt slaps me. It was a shock, but I guess I should have expected it. He's so mad he can't think straight.

"You knew! You knew and yet you went after TK, pretending to be his friend! You lying bitch-!"

No way am I standing for this. I slug Matt hard, harder than when I punched Sukamon, and then I pin him to the floor. My hands are on his shirt, pulling him so he's looking me in the eye.

"My crest is Sincerity, Yamato Ishida! It's downright impossible for me to lie; you of all people should remember that fact! Yes, I knew Kari was using TK, but only for the last hour or so! And if I had known a lot sooner, I'd have tried to warn TK that that little bitch was going to break his heart because he is my friend and I care about him deeply!

"Tai wanted to tell TK about Kari's scheme, you idiot! I could feel it with my crest, but you know what I think? I think he wanted Kari to tell TK herself that she was with Davis because Tai felt TK had to hear it from her to believe it. He did what he thought was the right thing; you can't blame him for that!

"You're upset about what's happened, and I can understand that... but if you ever hit me again or call me a liar, I don't care what Sora will do to me, I will make you suffer so bad, you'll feel like you're in the Great Depression!"

I get off of him quickly and then head for TK's room, locking the door. I can't stand the sight of Matt right now. Why did I ever think I loved him?!

Oh god, I'm crying now. But why? Because of Matt? Or is it because of TK?

What's wrong with me?!

"Don't hate Matt, Mimi..."

I look up in shock. TK's facing the wall his bed's against, but he's not asleep like when we left him.

"He probably thinks this is Tai's revenge for losing Sora."

"TK... Do you think that?"

"...No. He's tried to tell me before... but he never did."

"...He wanted Kari to let you down easy."

He's silent for a moment, but then he says something I thought he'd never say in his life. "I should have let her die! Let Piedmon get her, or left her to rot in the Dark Ocean!"

"You're just upset..."

He turns over, and I can see he's been crying again. "I mean it, Mimi. Every word. I... I hate her. More than Devimon... I hate her so much... Why did I fall in love with her?"

I walk over to him, gently moving a hair from his forehead before I sit down in his nearby desk chair. "We don't choose who we fall in love with, TK. It just... happens."

Suddenly, he grabs my arm with one hand, and runs a finger along my arm. He's noticed my scar. "How'd you get this? And when?"

Nobody else knows about the scar, except for my parents. Mostly because I wore long-sleeved shirts after that. Guess I forgot to put one on today.

"I got this shortly after MaloMyotismon died... when I found out Matt was with Sora."

"You did this yourself?"

"I did. My dad caught me, though, and I slit my arm instead of my wrist while he fought to take the knife away. After realizing Matt would never leave Sora for me, I thought I couldn't go on. As much as I loved living in America..."

"You wished you never moved away?"

"Yeah. TK, I won't pretend to know what you're going through, but I do know you're hurting badly from this. And I don't want you to make the same mistake I made." I point to my scar to make sure he understands. "Do you promise me you won't try to kill yourself?"

He doesn't say a word. His eyes are on my scar. I just hope he's not thinking about suicide despite what I've said.

He's still holding my hand. I never realized it until now, but his touch is gentle. And warm.

"I can't promise you that, Mimi. I just can't."

It's weird, but... I can almost see myself lying in TK's place. A younger me, still torn by the news of Matt and Sora dating.

"Okay then," I say before getting up, gently pulling my arm away. It almost makes me sad, deep down. "But I won't leave until you do."


TK'S P.O.V.

She leaves slowly, and once again, I'm alone in the darkness of my world. I'm glad. And yet, I'm sorry she left.

Why should I go on now? I've lost the only real love of my love, not to mention person who knew me best. There's nothing left for me.

Then again... I wouldn't get to see Mimi again.

Don't go there, Takaishi! That's rebound talk. Even though... even though Mimi was your first crush.

I hope she meant what she said, that she'd stay till I promise.


NANCY'S P.O.V.

I sit on the couch as Mimi exits from TK's room. "I sent Matt home," I tell her. "He's just overprotective of TK."

"I know. But he gave me a reason to let out my anger at him I've kept for over three years."

"How's TK?"

"He hates Kari, and wished he let her die either of the two times he had to protect her. I think he might be suicidal. ...Which is why I'd like to stay overnight, if that's okay."

I just nod. When something happens that bothers me, I can't stand not writing it all down. With Mimi staying over, I'll know TK will be looked after while I write. "Why don't we call your parents and ask for some extra clothes for you?"


DAVIS' P.O.V.

The folks are home. I can hear Jun telling them to call the Kamiyas through the walls. I listen as mom talks on the phone. Sounds like she's about to hang up.

Five. Four. Three. Two-.

"DAVIS, GET OUT HERE RIGHT NOW!!!!"

And the lesson learned? Keep it in your pants.


To Be Continued...


Can you tell which is new and which is from the original? If not, print both off and read for yourself.

I owe you all an apology out there for the lateness in posting part 4. I was waiting for a response from TakeruG before I posted. After waiting for almost a month, I decided you all waited long enough and posted it. TG, if you're reading this, I'm very sorry and I hope you liked parts 4 and 5.

Some people have said some good things about the fic so far. Just last week, I got a random IM congratulating me on the coldness of part 4. It was weird, but in a good way. And just recently, someone asked me if I was going to make this a Kari-bashing fic, hinting that it would be a good idea. I'll keep it as a side note for now, though.