Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Dark Wings, White Wings ❯ New Friends ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: òDigimonòs MINE and no oneòs going to take it away from meÂò How I wish I could say that but everyoneòs knows itòs not true right?

Note: A few explanations. Things written between ** is the characteròs thoughts. I forgot to explain that in the last chapter.

***

Chapter 2: New Friends

òHave you seen her?ò Taichi asked as Daisuke came running toward him.

ïNo,ï

They had waited for Hikary to come through the crowd but they didnït realize that the crowd would be moving in a few seconds.

ïShe must have been carried away with all those people.ï Daisuke said.

ïBut which way did they go?ï Taichi asked, looking around for any signs that might help him.

ïI think itòs that way.ò Daisuke pointed.

They started forward without another word, heading in the direction, which they hoped was the right one.

ïI hope she isnït in any trouble.ï Daisuke said, almost to himself.

*Please be alright, Hikary. Please be alright.*

***

Yamato answered the door.

ïYour Highness, the King asks for Prince Takerus presence for the interview. A guard bowed as the door was opened.

ñThank you, but Takeru is not here at the moment,ñ Yamato answered sounding as if nothing had happened just a few seconds ago.

ñThe King requires his presence this time, Your Highness.ñ The guard insisted.

Inwardly Yamato frowned but he didnñt show his expression. He appeared to be considering what to do.

*Thatñs. . .strange.*

ñIñll speak to the king.ñ Yamato announced.

The guard bowed again and backed away for Prince Yamato.

***

doki.

Hikary stared into the face of the boy. Their eyes met.

ïThere he is!ï Heavy footsteps followed the voice.

Hikary looked behind her and realized that she had forgotten her situation. She quickly got up and prepared to run but a hand grabbed her arm. A moment of terror gripped her until she noticed that the boy she had bumped into had pushed her behind himself. He faced the gang coolly and to Hikaryïs surprise, she saw the boys stop a few feet away with wariness in their eyes.

ïWhat are you doing?ï The boy asked.

ïWeÂwe were just trying to have some fun.ï The leader of the gang stammered.

Hikary watched with surprise as the boys began fidgeting. All of them were avoiding eye contact with the blond boy.

ïHeïs with me.ï The boy said shortly. ïAnd next time if I see you trying to ïhave funï with him again, you wonït get off that easy.ï

Some mutterings were heard as one by one the boys backed away.

Hikary breathed a sigh of relief as the boy turned to look at her. Once again she was drawn to his eyes. The boy smiled.

ïHi, my nameïs TK. Are you alright?ï He held out a hand to Hikary.

Hikary took the hand and shook it.

ïThank you for helping me, my name is HikaÂru.ï She had almost forgotten that she was pretending to be a boy again. (Shows how much imagination I have in making up names.)

ñUm. . .I was just wondering but why didnñt they attack us. I mean they did have outnumbered.ñ Hikary asked timidly.

ñThey are afraid of me.ñ Takeru answered then laughed as he saw the expression on Hikaryñs face that clearly said she didnñt understand how they could be afraid of him.

ñHey! I can fight you know.ñ He said. *And a good thing too.* He thought to himself as he remembered his first encounter with the previously mentioned boys.

ñYou beat them by yourself?ñ

TK nodded then began chuckling as he saw the wide-eyed expression on Hikary

ïYouïre new here arenït you, Hikaru?ï TK asked.

€I guess you can say that.€ Hikary answered and frowned. She sank down on to the pavement and sat there, leaning against a wall. Now that she wasn€t been chased, she had to think about how to find her brother and get home.

ïWhatïs wrong?ï TK didnït miss the frown on her face.

ïWell, I think Iïm lost and I donït like this place. My brother told me it was supposed to be nice but I hate it here.ï She was expecting a reply from TK but it didnït come. She looked up at him. TK had a sad and hurt look in his eyes.

ïOh, Iïm sorry. I didnït mean to say that. This is your home after all. Iïm so sorry. . .ï Hikary apologized.

TK shook his head. To Hikary it was a sign that said she didn€t have to apologize. But to TK it meant something more. *If you only knew where I€m from.*

ïItïs not bad, you know. It does have some nice places.ï TK said. ïCome on, Iïll help you find your way.ï

He extended a hand. Hikary looked at it for a while before she allowed herself to be pulled up.

ïThanks,ï She said quietly.

ñNo problem. Where do you live?ñ TK asked.

ñUm. . .well. . .ñ That was one question she should avoid. ñI. . .have to find my brother and my friend first. I was with them until I got lost in a crowd and I think theyñll be looking for me.ñ

ñThen Iñve got a great idea. Come with me.ñ TK said and began pulling her along as he ran. Hikary blushed. The only boys she had ever held hands before were her brother and Daisuke. She was very glad that TK didnñt turn around to look at her.

ïWhere are we going?ï She called out.

ñJust follow me.ñ TK answered.

Soon they arrived in front of a tall clock tower.

ïHere we are.ï TK announced. Without stopping he charged inside and up a flight of stairs. He didnït come to a halt until the stairs ended with a closed door, this he pushed open and led Hikary inside.

They were standing in what appeared to be the attic of the tower. The roof met in a point high above them and sunlight danced in beams as they came through cracks in the boarded windows. They could hear the sound of pigeons flying outside and their cooing cries.

TK opened a window and beckoned for Hikary to come closer. The view that met her eyes was breathtaking. They were above all the buildings in the city and the buildings stretched below them. To the right was the indigo ocean, with its waves rolling in the morning sunlight. Seagulls could be seen flying over the beach. To the left was a forest full of trees of different varieties and beyond that were huge mountains, their peaks hidden in clouds that looked like cotton.

ïItïs beautiful,ï It was the only Hikary could think of to say as she hungrily took in the scenery.

ïI know, thatïs why I like this place. There are bad things but if you could come up here to look at this, you can almost forget.ï Takeru said.

Hikary was surprised at all the emotion in his voice.

ïYou really love this place, donït you?ï She asked.

Takeru nodded without taking his eyes off the view. There was a moment of silence as they both just enjoyed the wind as it gently blew across their faces.

ñTell me about it.ñ Hikary finally broke the silence.

She didnñt have to explain what it was because TK already knew. He wanted to tell Hikaru about this world, wanted to tell him all the wonderful things heñd read in books, because he had a feeling that this strange boy beside him would understand. He could share it all with Hikaru and he would appreciate it as much as he did.

But not today. He had promised to find the boyòs friends and he had every intention of keeping his promise.

ïI will be very happy to show you, Hikaru. But first we have to find your brother remember? They must be really worried about you by now.ï TK said.

òOh, I almost forgot.ò Hikary gasped, she had indeed forgotten about what she was here to do.

òLook down. You can see most of the streets from here. Hopefully youòll be able to spot your brother.ò Takeru instructed.

It didnòt take them long to find the two figures. They were on a street not far from where they were and apparently both were very agitated. They quickly made their way down the stairs and headed toward the street where Taichi and Daisuke were still searching.

òHikaru wait, before you go I need to talk to you.ò Takeru said.

òWhat is it?ò

ïCan you meet me at the clock again tomorrow? I want to show you something. You said you wanted to know more about here right?ï TK said.

Hikary thought for a second.

ïAlright, Iïll come tomorrow. I think Iïm already beginning to like it here. Thanks a lot.ï Hikary smiled.

òGreat! You know your way to the clock?ò TK asked.

ïI think so.ï

ïSee you tomorrow then.ï TK waved as his new friend turned a corner and was gone.

***

Takeru went home with a light heart. His brother was waiting for him in Takeruïs room. The prince took one look at his older brotherïs face and knew immediately that something was wrong.

ïTakeru, donït panic. Ok?ï Yamato said. He took a deep breath before continuing. ïYouïre engaged.ï

It took a few seconds before Takeru understood what Yamato had just said.

ðWhat?ð He sprang up from the chair that he was sitting in. ðYouðve got to be kidding.ð

ðNo Iðm not and I hate to tell you this but. . . thatðs not the worst part.ð Yamato told his little brother.

ïWhat could be worse than this?ï Takeru groaned.

ðYouðre engaged to the Kaizerðs daughter.ð

This time Takeru didnðt even bother to say anything but he went pale and sank weakly back into his chair.

The Kaizer, one of the kingðs advisors, was a mystery to everyone. His real name was unknown to everyone and he only went by ðKaizerð. Nobody really liked him and people tended to avoid him whenever they could. The king trusted him more than any other but the two princes hated him.

ðTakeru, father wants you to meet her and so she have moved into one of the guest rooms.ð

There was complete silence from Takeru. Yamato was not sure if Takeru was listening anymore but he continued anyway.

ðHer nameðs Yolie. I believe sheðs named after her motherðs middle name, the Lady Miyako Yolie Inoue.ð

ïI donït care what sheïs called. I just want this engagement cancelled! Iïm still too young for this anyway.ï Takeru said angrily.

ïApparently the actual wedding will not take place until youïre seventeen, I believe that means you still have two years to try to stop it.ï Yamato said.

ïWhat can I do? You know father wonït change his mind after deciding on something.ï Takeru complained.

ïWhy donït you meet her? You might get to like her.ï Yamato suggested.

Takeru snorted, ïConsidering who her father is I donït think so.ï

He got up suddenly. ðIðve got to go to the library.ð And without another word he was out of the room.

The rest of the afternoon passed quite peacefully for Takeru. He avoided the Guest Chambers in case Yolie was there but he was not so lucky at dinner. The king had placed Yolie beside Takeru at the dinner table thinking it a good opportunity for them to get to know each other.

On first glance Takeru noticed a few things. She was a very pretty thing. Her raven black hair flowed loosely around her shoulders where they curled at the end. She had long, dark, eyelashes and black eyes. Her satin black dress flowed to the floor and revealed her shoulders and bare arms, which were decorated with bracelets. Her whole appearance reminded Takeru of those dolls that he had seen in stores on Earth. She was, he had to admit, quite pretty.

But he also noticed that she was different from other girls. While other girls may blush and faint just hearing a few well-chosen words, this one would give a reply that would match what was given to her. She was cunning and graceful. More than once, Takeru had noticed the glances that the servant boys gave her but he himself didnXt like her. There was just a coldness around her that he didnXt like. No matter how planned her movements were or how smart she was, there would always be the coldness in her eyes like two blocks of ice. There was no emotion in what she did. Takeru was certain that she knew the attention she was getting yet he sensed that she didnXt care.

It wouldnït be good to have her as an enemy.

***

Hikary was happy. She had made a friend that truly felt like a friend. Sure, she had lots of friends in the kingdom but she suspected that they only became her friends because she was the princess and she was right.

She was excited thinking that she could see him again although Taichi and Daisuke looked at her with curiosity as she giggled to herself and hummed. She had already asked Daisuke if she could keep the clothes he had lent her. Daisuke had agreed but he couldnXt stop wondering why the Princess Hikary would want boyXs clothing.

Hikary didnXt plan to tell them about her meeting because Taichi would surely want to come along after the previous incident.

She couldnXt wait for tomorrow.

***

Takeru hurried for the meeting place. He had gone to the library for a few books and had lost track of time. He was late. Now he carried the books in his hands as he flew as fast as he could toward the mirror.

When he arrived at the tower, Hikary was already there waiting.

ïSorry I was late but I lost track of time picking up these.ï He held up a book to show Hikary.

XWhy did you bring those?X Hikary asked curiously.

ïIïll show you in a minute but we need to go somewhere else first.ï Takeru said.

He led her to the edge of the city and into the woods that they had seen from the clock tower. Deep into the forest they went until a lake spread out before them.

ñItñs a nice place isnñt it?ñ Takeru asked.

ñYeah!ñ Hikary agreed. She turned to look at the mountains on the other side of the lake.

ñYou get to see animals here too sometimes. Itñs quiet here and not many people comes so the wild creatures like it.ñ Takeru explained as he settled himself on a rock.

Suddenly a gust of wind blew across the lake. It wrenched the books open and created ripples in the water. The trees rustled noisily and birds left their perches.

But Takeru noticed none of these things. He was staring at Hikary who had clutched at her cap too late and it had blown off, leaving her brown hair blowing in the wind.

***