Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Digimon 02: The Road Not Taken ❯ Letting Go ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Digimon 02: The Road Not Taken
(Originally Digimon: The New Path)

By Robster80


Episode One: Letting Go


********************************************************************** **********
Author's Note: Why am I doing this? Why am I rewriting a series I haven't even finished since I started it wayyyy back when I first joined Fanfiction.net? Well, after looking over the first seven chapters, I decided to go back and revise what I had done so far.

SO why did I abandon this series for so long? Well, for one thing, Fox dropped 02 for Tamers. Second, I was trying to focus on finishing other series like New Destiny and BOYZ. Third, college got rough on me since 2001. But the main reason is that I am a lazy person. But enough with the excuses. It's time I got off my butt and got back to writing.

This begins several days after episode 21 of Digimon 02, after the downfall of Ken/The Digimon Emperor and the discovery of the crest of Kindness. By then, Ken has changed and Wormmon has been reformatted. However, Veemon has not reached his Champion level yet. Also, the defeat of Ken was slightly different. You shall see sometime soon, and I intend to do so this time!
***************************************************************** ***************


"I love him," Kari told Gatomon in her room late that night. Tai was fast asleep, so he couldn't overhear her. "I really do love him."

The cat Digimon was worried. "Are you sure about this? He may not really be in love with you, and I don't want to see you get hurt, Kari."

"I'll be okay, Gatomon. I thought you'd support me here."

"I do, Kari, but… him?!"

"Yes, I know. He may just have a crush on me and nothing more. But, when I'm with him, I feel… so alive. My mind's made up, Gatomon. Tomorrow, I'm going to tell him. And you can't say a word about this to anyone! Not even to TK. I'll tell him later on when I get the chance."

Gatomon nodded. "You have my word." She then curled up in the desk chair and tried to sleep, but her worries were too much for her.

[Kari, I think you're making a big mistake.]



********************************************** **********************************



"What took you so long, TC?" Davis said as TK came in last to the computer room at school that afternoon. Though Davis, Yolei, Cody, and Kari, as well as their Digimon had just arrived themselves, he didn't appreciate waiting for his rival.

TK frowned as Davis had once again said his name wrong. "What is it with you and mispronouncing my name, Davis? It's TK."

Kari intercepted the coming fight by placing her hand on Davis' shoulder. "Relax, Davis. He's here and that's all that matters. We have a lot of cleaning up to do in the Digital World now that Ken's been defeated, so let's get going."

Davis looked at her and smiled. "Whatever you say, Kari."

No more words were said, except for Yolei saying "Digi-port open," and the ten of them were back in the Digital World. Cody pulled out a map of the area they were in. Izzy had made it just yesterday.

"We'll work on five areas today," he said. "Yolei will take the lake area, TK the mountain, Davis the beach, and the large plain will be divided up by myself and Kari. If we start now, we'll be done in just a few hours."

The team nodded, and then went off to their areas to help restore the Digital World. As he walked, TK thought about Ken. He remembered how lost he was after being defeated by Davis and Magnamon, thinking that the Digital World was all a game to him. That illusion ended with Wormmon's death, and Ken had to face reality. TK also remembered finding the Crest of Kindness, and, figuring it was Ken's, gave it to him. The others were shocked about this, because they probably couldn't forgive Ken for all he had done with the Dark Rings and Control Spires.

However, TK had forgiven him. In his eyes, Ken was a lost child who needed help, and they were the ones to guide him. Only he saw this, though, and he wondered how the others could be so cruel, even Kari still didn't trust him that much. [I'd better talk to her about it,] he thought. [But before I tell her how I really feel towards her. Well, better get to work.]



************************************************* *******************************



Kari and Gatomon finished their share of work quickly with the help of some Gazimon, and Kari decided it was time to find her guy. "You stay here, Gatomon," she said. "And look after the Gazimon. I'm going to see him."

Gatomon nodded, but didn't look at Kari. "Just be careful," was all she said. There was more she wanted to say, but knew nothing would stop her friend.

Kari smiled, and then headed off.



*************************************************** *****************************



TK had also finished his work early, and he and Patamon then headed off to find Kari. When they came to the field, they only found Gatomon, who seemed a little nervous around them, especially TK.

Patamon looked around. "Where'd Kari go, Gatomon?"

The cat sighed heavily. She had been expecting this. "You'll find her by the beach. We finished early, so she went there."

TK nodded before facing his Digimon. "Why don't you keep Gatomon company, Patamon? I'll be back." With that, he headed for the beach.

Gatomon wanted to stop him, but she knew she couldn't. [He has a right to know, even if it's the hard way.]

Patamon flew down to her, worried. "What's wrong, Gato?"

"Patamon… I can't tell you just yet. I made promise."

"Oh. Okay."

He turned to move away, but Gatomon hugged him tight, her eyes filled with tears. "Please don't leave," she begged.

Patamon slowly hugged her back. "I won't."



************************************************ ********************************



TK was almost to the beach when he saw Veemon gathering sticks. The blue Digimon looked up and smiled. "Hiya, TK! You got done early, too?"

TK walked up to Veemon. "Yes. Have you seen Kari? She was done as well and Gatomon said she came in this direction."

"I did. She stopped by as I was gathering sticks for firewood. We're cooking some grub for the Numemon who helped Davis and me at the beach."

"Cool. Need some help?"

TK took some of Veemon's load and they began to walk towards the beach. They were almost at the clearing when TK stopped dead in his tracks. Before them were Kari and Davis, in each other's arms, and kissing. He watched as they slowly broke the kiss and Kari said, "I love you."

Veemon saw this, then looked back at TK, who gripped the sticks in his arms tightly. [Uh-oh! Davis finally got the girl of his dreams, but TK loves her, too.]

They listened as the two new lovers began to talk. "Kari… I love you, too. But, I thought you liked TK more than me."

"Never! TK's my best friend, and I haven't seen him in so long since after we defeated Apocalymon. Maybe it was wrong to flirt with him, but I couldn't help it because I wanted you to be jealous. I owe you and him an apology for that. I just hope it doesn't ruin our friendship with each other."

TK felt his heart sink. He was just her best friend, and a tool to make Davis jealous. [She loves him… and he her back.]

Veemon looked back at TK. "You okay?" he whispered.

TK just nodded. They listened as the talk continued.

"Kari, let's keep our relationship a secret for now. People won't like us being a couple, especially Tai."

"You're more concerned about TK, aren't you?"

"No! I doubt he'll even care, since you were just using him."

[I do care,] TK thought. [Kari doesn't keep secrets from me. …But she never told me she was in love with Davis.]

"Still, he's my best friend. If I kept this a secret from him, I might lose his friendship with him."

"It'll only be for a little while, Kari. I just want to get on Tai's good side. You know how overprotective he is for you. And I'm sure TJ will understand."

"…How long will a little while be?"

At that, TK hoped he was just dreaming. [Kari, no!]

"Two weeks, at least. That's it, I swear."

"Okay, I can keep our relationship a secret till then. But you let me tell TK about us. I think he'll understand a bit better if it came from me."


Davis liked this idea very much. It was a great scheme to toy with TK's heart until the right moment, and then shatter him completely. "That's cool, Kari."

Having heard enough, TK quietly put the sticks down and just turned around to walk away. He didn't look back. The pain was already building and he had to get away without being noticed.

"TK, wait up!"

The boy looked to see Veemon run up to him. "TK, I want you to tell me something, and please be honest. You like Kari more than a friend, don't you?"

It was a while before the words came out. After all, what good would they be now? "I love her, Veemon. I've loved her since we first met, though it took me this long to realize it. …And that's why I've made this decision."

"What's that?"

"I'm letting her go. If being with Davis makes her happy, I won't take that from her."

"…I'm sorry. I don't know how you feel right now, but I know that, from the look on your face, it's hurting you a lot."


"Please don't tell anyone this, Veemon. I don't want to come between Kari and Davis."

"They'll never drag it outta me, even if Gatomon threatens to scratch my eyes out."

It was an attempt to make TK smile, and it worked, somewhat. "There's one more thing. Could you have Cody or Yolei bring Patamon home for me? Tell them I had an emergency and I had to rush. I left him with Gatomon on my way here."

"What should I tell Patamon?"

"…Tell him the truth, but only him."




********************************************* ***********************************



TK came home to an empty apartment that late afternoon, which didn't surprise him the least. His mother was off at work and wouldn't be home for another few hours. He was alone, and he wanted to be that way right now.

After returning, TK thought about going to see Matt. Then he decided not to. He was too old to be running to his big brother for help, and there was nothing anyone could do to help him.

Kari loved Davis. He had accepted it, and also hated it. But what he hated more was that Kari was keeping it a secret from him.

[He's just my best friend.]

The words rang in his ears as he made his way to the fridge. He didn't feel like a TV dinner, and he didn't want to go out to eat, so he had trouble deciding what he wanted. His appetite was mostly gone, but it still tugged at his stomach a little. Finally, he fixed himself a small sandwich and some chips.

However, after the first bite, TK felt he couldn't eat anything else. [So… this is what is feels like to be in love…]

Wrapping up the plate and its contents before stuffing them in the fridge, TK made his way into his room, tossing his hat onto his desk before falling onto his bed. Once his face met his pillow, he released all his tears that had been building up inside of him, and wept bitterly.

He was only her friend, even after the times he saved her from Piedmon and the Dark World. He was a friend to her and nothing more. Those words stung his heart terribly. "I love you, Kari," he said to the silence as he cried. The day he told her he cared about her replayed in his mind. Had he the courage to tell her what he meant then, or that he loved her sooner, maybe she would be with him now, and not Davis. But wishful thinking only made his pain worse.

There would be another love someday, somewhere. TK just had to hold on to whatever was left of his dying hope until then.

Maybe he could ask Mimi out the next time she came to visit Japan. But then he remembered Matt was also thinking of asking Mimi out. It would be pointless, and wrong, to compete with his older brother.

He then realized it wouldn't be a good idea to go after someone else so soon after today. It would be taking someone on the rebound, and he knew he couldn't do that. Kari had unknowingly cemented herself deep inside of his heart, and she'd always be there. He'd never truly stop loving her.

His eyes turned to see a picture of them from when he just moved back to New york. Mrs. Kamiya had taken it and given him a copy. As he looked at it, he began to softly sing a song he recently heard, some new song by a former member of the band Genesis. What was it again? "Can't Stop Loving You," yes, that's what it was. It was after he got to the chorus that he reach out and put the picture facedown.


[Goodbye, my angel of light… time to let you go.]


***************************************************************** ***************



TK didn't know how long he had been lying in bed, nor did he care. After what seemed like an eternity of crying, his eyelids fell closed and sent him drifting in a dreamless sleep. It was somewhat soothing.

Just then, someone knocked on the apartment door, waking him. Making sure the tearstains were off his face, TK slowly got up and went out to open the door. Tai was standing in the hall with Patamon in his hands. "I was on my way over to see you, and Cody asked me to bring Pata up with me. Mind if we have a chat?"

TK nodded and let his old friend inside. He then told Patamon, "Go to my room. Mom won't be back for a while yet."

The winged Digimon obeyed and flew off silently, leaving the two boys alone to talk. "Want a drink?"

"Sure, thanks."

Tai sat down while TK got out two glasses and some water. "So, what brings you here?"

It wasn't until after Tai was given his glass that he spoke. "TK, I know you're in love with my sister. You've saved her more times than Davis has, and you've always looked out for her when I wasn't there. Don't lie to me and say otherwise, because I've seen the way you look at her when you think no one's watching you."

TK starred at his glass. "You're right. I do love her, Tai. And you seem frighteningly calm about this."

"That's because I trust you, kid. You've held that promise you made to Sora to protect Kari above and beyond the call of duty. That's why I'm about to tell you this: I want you to ask her out. Seriously, I want you to. I can fix it so Davis doesn't get in the way-."

The sound of shattering glass cut Tai off as he looked at TK's now bleeding hand. Tai's words had made him so upset that he tightened the grip on his glass of water and it broke. Shards and water now covered parts of the table, and fresh blood was dripping onto it from TK's palm. Tears once again streamed down his face, but from the pain in his heart, not his hand.

Tai quickly got up and went to the bathroom to look for the medical kit. He returned and bandaged the hand. He had apparently said something wrong, which was something he hadn't done in over a week. "There's something I don't know, is there?"

Patamon had just flew in, the sounds of the shattered glass startling him. He had been listening a little, and knew why TK was upset.


"You're too late, Tai," TK choked the words out. "And even if you weren't it doesn't matter. Kari… Kari's in love… with Davis." Before Tai could ask how he knew this, TK kept going. "I saw them… heard her tell him she loved him… I didn't mean to eavesdrop, but… and they… they're not going to tell anyone they're dating just yet."

"TK… I'm sorry. If I had-."

"Tai, don't take this the wrong way, but… but I want you to go."

"…Sure. I understand." With that, Tai started for the door. He'd done enough damage for one day.

"Tai?"

He froze just as his hand gripped the doorknob. "Yeah?"

"Don't tell Kari."


"Not a word." The door opened, but Tai's feet didn't move. "If you want… I release you from the promise you made." That was all he had left to say before exiting. TK just sat at the table, crying once more as Patamon tried to give some comfort to him.


******************************************************** ************************



Davis laid in his bed, smiling widely. "I won!" he exclaimed to Demi-Veemon, who sat on the floor. "I finally got Kari as my girl, and TJ got left out-."

"TK."

Davis sat up and looked down at his Digimon. "What was that?"

"His name is TK. And you don't need to rub it in, Davis. You're his friend."

"Friend? The guy's a jerk. He kept getting in my way, and now he can't anymore. It feels sooooo good to finally have Kari's love!"

Demi-Veemon frowned. [He sounds more like he's obsessed with Kari rather than in love with her, and the way he's dissing on TK… I hope the poor guy's okay.]


****************************************************** **************************


It was difficult to explain to his mom how he broke one of her glasses and injured his hand in the process, but somehow TK managed to pull it off. She wasn't that angry with him, but she did warn him to use plastic cups for a while.

He just laid on his bed that night, unable to sleep. His stomach was empty, and his mind kept replaying the events of earlier that day over and over. Luckily for him, it was a Friday night. No school tomorrow.

[How can I face them after today? One look at Kari and Davis together is all it'll take to bring the pain back. It's only the weekend now, but when school starts on Monday… What am I going to do?]

His D-Terminal chirped suddenly, indicating new e-mail. Turning on a lamp before opening the Terminal, TK was shocked to see the message:

TK,

Can you meet me at the soccer field after my 10AM practice tomorrow? It's the same one my team played against Davis' team. We need to talk. Bring your D-3, D-Terminal, and Digimon, but come alone.

-Ken

PS: This is not a trick.

This was a shock to TK, but a light one. Was Ken being serious, or was it a trap? Still, there was nothing else really important to do tomorrow. Besides, if Kari didn't care about telling him about her loving Davis, she wouldn't care if Ken trapped him.

Typing quickly and quietly, he sent out a reply:

I'll be there by 11, alone.

PS: Don't care if this is a trap or not.



End Episode 1


Next: TK and Patamon meet with Ken, who claims he has a program that will allow their Digimon to Digivolve regardless of the control spires. A new friendship is made, but how will this affect the other Digi-Destined? Also, we'll go back to right after Wormmon died. This series has already begun, and a turning point is coming up.