Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Digimon Millenium ❯ Dark, Cold and Grey ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: No, I do not own Digimon!
 
Author's Note: Alright, this is it! The second chapter of Digimon Millenium! Thanks for the reviews.
 
Sorry for taking so long with uploading the chapter, it's just that the net wasn't working for ages and my Annual Exams had just ended, so I was pretty busy.
I know the first chapter was kind of short and it didn't include the Digimon, but right now they're gonna be joining the Destined. I guarantee the next chapters are gonna be much longer! And also, this chapter is gonna be three years late from where the first chapter ended. RnR please.
 
 
And if any of you TK fans want him to start a love life or something like that, don't hesitate to ask and send an e-mail. Just remember, Daikari 4ever! ^^
 
RnR, Enjoy!
 
------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------------
 
Digimon Millenium
 
Chapter Two
 
Dark, Cold and Grey
 
Tick … tick … tick … tick …
It seemed as if time was deliberately slowing down as the big hand on the clock in Davis Motomiya's mathematics class moved with tardiness. This was the last period of the day, and in five minutes' time, the bell would ring, declaring freedom for another day.
Davis was watching the timepiece for a while now, and each minute seemed like an end of an eternity. Or so it seemed to him.
He sighed and started tapping his pen on his desk as his eyes scanned the faces of his classmates, which included Kari and TK, who were also taking this class with him. Some were close to hitting the sack, others were sending notes to one another, and most of them were watching the clock on the wall like Davis was doing a while ago.
The Digidestined had grown up from the last time four years ago when they had defeated MaloMyotismon.
Davis, Kari and TK went to the same High School, while the older Digidestined were away at college. Yolei was going to start college next year, while Cody was still in Junior High and Ken was at his private school close to home at the far side of town.
Davis no longer had his hair spiked up into an afro. Instead, he had spiked it sideways but his fringe and bangs still hung forward. Many people didn't recognize him that much when he first changed his hairdo and that got him really frustrated. He wore his school uniform with the green jacket unbuttoned and no tie, while TK did the same except he did have a tie. Kari wore the same kind of uniform that Sora had worn when she was at High School. A big change in her was that she allowed her hair to grow just below shoulder length and it gave her a graceful look.
Davis saw that Kari was paying close attention to what the teacher was saying, which sounded to him like flies humming, while TK, who was sitting beside him, was casually doodling on his notebook. Davis sighed again and deposited his pen into his container. He decided packing up was the only reasonable thing to do while doing nothing.
As he was about to close up his notebook and math book, he was knocked on the head by something hard and small. He turned his head sharply, wanting to punish the one who threw that item at him till he saw his soccer teammate, Seiko grinning and gesturing towards the floor.
Davis nodded, bent down and picked up the small bundled-up paper from the floor. He hid it inside his jacket pocket before Mr. Fuji caught a glimpse at what he was doing.
“Pssst, Davis,' a voice whispered from beside him.
Davis blinked and turned his head to see TK, “Huh?”
“We're going to Frosty's today after school. Ken and Yolei are also gonna be there, so you'd better come as well,” TK said, quietly so only Davis could hear.
Davis nodded, lightening up, “You can count on me!
To him, Frosty's Ice Cream Corner was the only place in the world where the best kind of ice-creams and cones were sold, and he went there with his friends sometimes at the weekends or after school.
Davis unfolded the piece of paper Seiko had thrown at him and saw that it was a message.
 
Davis,
 
Coach says we have to be here on Sunday. Extra soccer practice for the upcoming championship. Be there!
 
Davis turned his head back to Seiko and gave him a brief nod. Davis's reputation as a soccer pro still hadn't changed much from four years ago. Let's just say he improved a lot since he had become the captain of the soccer team.
BRIING!
The bell had finally rung and cheers and chants filled the class as they all filled out of the room, thankful for the end of the last period.
Kari walked towards Davis and smiled, “So, are you going to come today?”
“Yeah,” Davis replied and as TK joined them, they walked to the crowded school corridors.
Veemon, Gatomon and Patamon were waiting for them near the school staircases, where they headed to after they had collected their homework and bags.
Davis swung his duffel bag over his shoulder and grinned as Veemon came bounding into him, “Hey buddy!
“Davis!
Patamon hovered over to TK and settled himself onto his now-hatless head; his favorite spot.
“Hi TK, how was your day?”
“Fine pal, yours?”
Even though Digimon were known in the Real world now, they weren't allowed in classes for it was said to distract students from their studies. Veemon and the others just waited outside and hung around till the day was over so they could meet up with their partners.
The three teenagers and Digimon walked through the school gates and out to the street. Davis was listening to Veemon's ranting about his day and was replying at the right times. TK noticed that over the years, since they had defeated MaloMyotismon, Davis had gotten a bit mature or in other words, he had slightly grown up. Apart from the fact that he still ate a lot, slept a lot and was stubborn as always, he was now an easy-going person with a good sense of humor in him.
TK also noticed that Kari was getting attached to Davis the more they were together, and Davis was showing her more respect than he used to. Right now, the two were talking about something they had seen on TV with an occasional word from Veemon or Patamon.
When they arrived at Frosty's Ice-cream Corner, they noticed two very familiar figures and certain Digimon sitting at a table near the windows.
“Yolei, Ken!” Kari said happily, and she walked over with Davis and TK following.
Veemon, Gatomon and Patamon ran to join Wormmon and Hawkmon.
Yolei squealed in delight and she shifted over to make room for her best friend. At once the two girls started talking.
Davis exchanged a high-five routine with Ken and TK simply smiled.
“So, how's it going with you two?” TK said once they had settled down and ordered ice-cream sodas.
Ken smiled at that statement and Yolei grinned. The two of them had started dating over two years ago and their relationship was growing as time passed. And whenever Davis made fun of Ken being a chicken when he wasn't dating Yolei, he shot right back by telling him that he wasn't in a serious relationship yet. This made Davis shut up.
Once their sodas were served, they began eating and started discussing certain topics. Everyone seemed pretty relaxed and refreshed, except Ken. He noticed something strange.
There was a woman seated a single table at the corner, and even though she was reading a broadsheet, she kept glancing over at them. She was dressed completely in grey, and even her hair was striped in light grey over black. She wore dark shades and her nails were painted black.
Ken felt this uneasy feeling grow in the pit of his stomach, and he pushed his soda away.
“What's wrong, Ken?” Yolei said, noticing her boyfriend's behavior, “Aren't you hungry?”
“Er, yes. I'm not that hungry, Yolei, don't worry,” Ken said, smiling.
Wormmon looked at him with worried eyes, “But Ken, you're not usually like this unless -”
He was cut off as Veemon clamped a hand over his mouth. He also seemed to have noticed the strange lady.
Kari narrowed her eyes and followed Ken's agonized gaze. She gasped slightly as she saw the lady with the newspaper. As soon as the lady looked up, she pretended to be busy with her ice-cream soda.
Gatomon got off her seat and said, “Let's get going.”
“Right,” TK said, placing his unfinished glass of ice-cream soda on the tray. The others agreed and when Ken paid the check, they exited the parlor.
“Who was she?” Hawkmon said, frowning.
Davis said, “She looked so … familiar. Evil was shown clearly in her.”
As they crossed the street, and walked onto the sidewalk, Kari accidentally bumped into a man who was hurrying through them.
“Oh, I'm so sorry!” she apologized and bent down to help pick his papers and files which had scattered out from his briefcase.
As she picked up a grey file, some papers slid out of it and she couldn't help but catch a glimpse of the highlighted words saying: Digital Portal DESTRUCTION.
Before she could read anything more, the man snatched the file and the bundle of papers. He looked at her for a fraction of a second, and Kari felt a chill run down her spine as she saw those cold gray eyes.
And then the man quickly stuffed the contents into his briefcase and ran off.
“What was that all about?” Veemon said, frowning.
Yolei nodded, adding, “Talk about `being rude'.”
Kari looked back at her friends and said in a weak voice, “Something's not right.”
“What happened, Kari?” Davis asked.
She shuddered at the thought of those unnatural eyes and didn't reply till Yolei shook her shoulder lightly and called her name.
“Huh?” Kari looked at her and then the others. Her face was pale and she looked frightened.
Ken finally spoke up, “I think it'd be best if we give Kari some space.”
After a moment of silence and an air full of tension, Kari at last told them what she had seen when those papers fell out of that particular grey file, and she also added that the man had eyes that were as cold and as gray as that woman at Frosty's.
“This is getting really creepy,” Gatomon said, her tail twitching sharply, “And it seems as if the two of them are together in this.”
TK nodded, folding his arms thoughtfully, “Yeah. What do you think those people were planning?”
“Don't know. It was probably some doodad that had something to do with a thingamajig,” Veemon suggested hopelessly.
Davis said, “We might not know what it is yet, but we should be ready if something strange happens again.”
The others agreed on this and decided to not to tell anyone about what they saw just incase it was a false alarm. As Yolei and Ken went their own way, TK turned to his friends and said, “What if it has something to do with the Digiworld? It did mention the Digital Portal in it.”
Davis nodded, “That what I assume. It did seem strange.
He noticed that Kari was being unusually quite and it seemed as TK did too, because he was looking at her apprehensively.
“Kari. You okay?” Veemon asked, looking up at her.
The reply came in a nod.
“Hey, should I tell Tai about this?” TK said, bringing out his D-terminal, “He'll know what to do -”
Kari immediately snapped up and pushed TK's hand down, “No, TK. Don't tell Tai about this, please!
TK glanced briefly at Davis who looked just as confused as he was before placing his D-terminal back into his pant pocket, “Alright then.”
“You too, Davis,” said Kari, turning to the male brunette who looked hesitant as if considering the matter at hand.
After a minute, Davis gave in and nodded. But he didn't look so sure. He knew Kari wouldn't ever tell anyone about anything dangerous just in case their lives got put in jeopardy. But she had to learn that she did have friends, and that they'd risk just about anything to help her.
Kari bent down and picked up Gatomon. She turned around, “Guys, I think I'll take the bus home.”
Davis nodded, “Alright then. Take care.”
“I will,” Kari shot them a smile before walking down the street.
TK looked at Davis, “What do you think is happened?”
“With Kari?” Davis watched his friend walk away till she was out of sight. He felt some familiar presence in Kari's terrified eyes, and he didn't like it. It reminded him of the time when darkness had threatened to take her away, and they had almost lost her that time of it weren't for TK, Patamon and Gatomon.
Davis glanced back at TK, “I don't know. But I think it would be better if we kept an eye on her for a while, she needs the help of friends whenever these situations come.”
“I know what you mean,” TK said as they continued onwards, “Kari is tough, though. I remember when she fought against Dragomon with her powers when we found her.”
“Yeah, but she hangs back whenever we try helping. I know Kari is strong, and we will find a way to gain her trust in us,” said Davis, staring at the pavement.
TK smiled, “You really do care about her, don't you?”
Davis blinked, “Of course. She's my friend and I care about her like I do to any other friend.”
“Right.”
They walked in complete silence towards TK's apartment, each lost in his own thoughts. As they approached the door, TK turned to Davis and said, “You know what, Davis? You've really grown up.”
Davis blinked, and then grinned, “I have? … Oh yeah, I have!”
“Forget that I even said that,” TK laughed and fished out the front door keys from his jacket pocket.
Davis looked into the quiet, dark apartment, “Where's your Mom?”
“She's at her friend's place several blocks away. I'll be okay, though,” TK said, opening the front door.
“Right … wish my Mom could leave me alone like that,” said Davis, hunching his shoulders up.
TK picked up Patamon and smiled, “I'm sure she will sometimes. Well, see you tomorrow.”
“Okay … Bye,” Davis turned around and walked off into the night, Veemon next to him. TK watched him go and went back inside, “That dude seriously has grown …”
“And it's good to see that you two aren't fighting anymore like you used to,” Patamon said, looking up at his partner, “And it's also nice to see Kari isn't the target anymore.”
TK chuckled, “Nah. Kari's no prize to be won, you know. And Davis is a good guy once you get to know him.”
“Four years ago, I wouldn't have believed you even said that,” said Patamon.
 
* * * *
 
“So did you get the documents?”
“Yes, they're with me.”
It was over ten at night in Frosty's, and the same woman in grey was seated at the same table she was sitting at when the Digidestined were there, except this time, a man was seated with her. The same man who had bumped into Kari when the Digidestined were heading home.
He placed his briefcase onto the table and opened it carefully. The woman arched her eyebrows as he took out some files and papers.
`Very good,” the woman said, “You have accomplished this task very well, Cyrius.”
The man known as Cyrius, frowned, “Yes, but there is one problem.”
“What?”
“As I was coming here, I collided into a few of those Digidestined children,” Cyrius told her.
The woman nodded, “They came in here today as well, they might have suspected me …”
“Yes, but this time I faced them and they seemed really very wary of me. I think I managed to escape fairly quickly enough but they saw some clues of our plan.”
The woman scooted back on her chair and stood up, banging her hands on the table, “They what!”
Cyrius held up his hands in an attempt to quiet her down, “Calm down Rita. Just let me finish … you can unleash your anger after I tell you what had happened.”
Rita, breathing heavily, sat back down and folded her arms as she stared daggers at Cyrius.
“The Child of Light, Kari Kamiya … she saw one of the papers, the document about the destruction of the Digital Portal,” Cyrius finished.
Rita didn't blow her top like Cyrius thought she would after her earlier explosion. Instead, she brought her fingers together as if knelt down for a prayer, and bent her head.
“Rita? What shall we do now?” Cyrius said, staring at his partner.
The woman brought her head back up again and she said, “The Digidestined are sure to be suspicious by now since the Child of Light must have told them what was in that paper. We must come up with a plan to keep them out of our way.”
Cyrius nodded, and arranged the papers in a solemn manner, “Yes. They are sure to wreck our plans …”
“We have to do something about that Child of Light. After all, she does have the powers that sealed the portal to the Dark Ocean in the first place,” Rita suggested, “And that portal will be very, very useful to us for furthering our achievements in our procedure.”
Cyrius smiled surreptitiously, “A very good plan, Rita. But her friends should also be gotten rid of.”
A sly smirk crossed Rita's lips as well and she cackled. An employee at a nearby counter watched them with uncertainty as he had been doing for the past two hours.
He noticed that the lady had been here for pretty much the whole day, and now that the strange man had joined her, there would be no objective in their mind to leave. After a minute of watching them some more, he decided to throw them out seeing as Frosty's would close soon.
Clearing his throat, he walked towards their table and stood in front of them, folding his arms. Cyrius and Rita stopped what they were doing and looked up at him.
“Excuse me, but I suggest that you should leave because we are closing up soon,” he said, summoning up the words as quickly as he could.
Rita stood up, slowly surveying his face before slowly saying, “Hm, but we have no intention to leave.”
The man was taken aback by her powerful and confident words, and he shuddered at the look in those grey eyes. It took a while for him to shape himself up, but when he did, he frowned, “I'll tell you just this once before I'll have to kick you out. Leave.”
Rita smirked, and said, “Alright. If you want to close this restaurant, then close it you shall. Only it'll be done by us.”
Her face turned paler than it was if possible, and she brought her hand onto the employee's face, spreading a grey color over it from where her hand touched it. After a second, the man slumped onto the ground, dead.
Cyrius stood up, “He certainly deserved that. But it would be safer if we were to get out of here. People would start suspecting us.”
He set all the papers and files into his briefcase and took hold of it, “Let's go.”
Rita followed him out of Frosty's, and when they stood outside of it, she turned towards it, “One last thing.”
She raised her hands and pushed them towards the direction of Frosty's, “Time to close up.”
A strange flicker of air flew out her hands and rammed onto Frosty's structure, resulting in a humungous explosion. Cinders of ash flew everywhere and the whole building crumpled down.
Rita smiled, “Now that that's taken care of, let's carry on with our plan …”
The two partners-in-crime walked off down the street, absolutely oblivious to the commotion that had taken place.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
Author's Note: How was it? Better than the first chapter, I hope.
There will be surprises coming your way in the next chapter of the Digimon Millenium so stay tuned!
I really need your reviews on this and suggestions on how to improve what.
 
Until next time …