Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Digimon Millenium ❯ Survival for the Destined ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: No, I don't own Digimon.
Author's Note: Taking a nap gives me good ideas and I just woke up from one so that's a pretty good sign. Thanks for your reviews! I'm touched. I like the idea that people are enjoying my stories.
OK, for those of you who think I hate TK just cause' I support Daikari, I don't. I think he's a great even though Davis is my favorite protagonist.
There will be some new Mons' introduced later on, thanks to the all-time greatest for those of you who have been waiting, this is for you!
Enjoy!
------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------
Chapter Four
Survival for the Destined'
Davis felt he was sinking into an old nightmare. And here he was again, lost with his friends in the Digiworld with no idea what was to happen. The most problems they were having were for the supply of food and water. Davis had miraculously found a packet of cookies he had kept stashes in his pocket, but besides that they had nothing. They sometimes had to stop at a small stream for water they came across. It was rarely clean, but it was something; something for everyone except Veemon who was used to pure glasses of water everyday at the Motomiya household.
For days they traveled onwards through the mind-numbing forest, the humor slowly draining away from them. And at night was the worst, so they had to keep watch in turns each.
It was another one of those nights, and Davis was to keep lookout. He let Veemon sleep in for the night, even though the little Digimon offered to stay by his side. Picking up a twig from nearby, Davis started twirling it around his fingers. Why did he feel new to this? They had been through much worse, but it still felt awful. Groaning in impatience, he threw the stick down.
“Davis?”
“Hmm?” Davis didn't have to look to know that Kari had joined him. If she wasn't asleep yet, he couldn't blame her. He had woken up one morning to find himself spread out in an uncomfortable angle, his head resting on his shoulder. It hadn't stopped hurting for a while after that.
“You're not sleepy?” he asked.
“Nope, I can't with the sound of you whining,”
“Oh …”
“I'm just kidding Davis, who could sleep here?” Kari was interrupted by the sound of Veemon's snores.
Davis grinned, “You were saying.”
“OK, so some people can stay here without having to care about the icky, wet ground or the scary trees waving at them,” Kari sighed and started running her forefinger through the fabric of her school skirt.
“Oh yeah, I once saw a tree shaped like that monster we saw in a movie backing November,”
“You mean `Hollow's Nightmare'? No way!”
“Yeah, it was pretty cool even though it was creepy.”
After that, they stayed silent, each absorbed in their own thoughts. The only noises in earshot were Veemon's snores and the rustling of some leaves on branches.
“Davis?” Kari's voice broke Davis's train of thought and he looked at her.
Her head was bent downwards and her voice had an edge to it as she spoke, “H-how do you think Tai feels?”
Davis paused as he thought of what to say. He knew Kari was very concerned in upsetting her big brother, and TK probably felt the same way about Matt even though he didn't show it.
“Kari,” he began, “I don't know what's happening in the Real World right now, but I do know that even though Tai's worried, he knows everything will settle down eventually. He knows you're strong, and you've got friends that are with you. He'll be OK, as long as you are …”
Kari looked up at him and gave him a smile, “You really think so?”
“I know so,” Davis grinned. He leaned back against a tree. “Where there's a will, there's a way! And I'm sure we'll find a way!”
“Right!”
Davis looked up at the sky, his eyes studying its depths in fascination. Kari was starting to say something else before Davis pointed out towards the blue, “Hey, a shining star!”
Kari frowned, “So?”
“Well, my Gramps once told me that if you see a shining star, you'll know that someone close to you, who has passed away, if watching you, telling you everything will be OK,” Davis looked up at one star which stood out amongst the rest. He sighed, “Gramps would be up there as well ...”
Kari watched her friend stare at the skies. This was once again a side she had so rarely seen of his; first time being in the feud against MaloMyotismon. He had a stroke of sadness gleaming I his eyes, and she wondered how many times it usually appeared.
Then Davis turned to her smiling, “OK so … want something to eat? Cookies, maybe?”
“Davis, you sound like a waiter,”
“I'm serious!”
“But they're for breakfast,”
“But still,”
“No, it's alright,”
“I insist -”
“Davis, it's fine,”
“Yeah, but -“
Kari gave him a look that was similar to that of Yolei's and Davis closed his mouth quickly. For the rest of the night, they talked and joked; something they hadn't done in a while, till the others woke up. The rising sun's rays streaked out onto them from the gaps of the trees overhead.
“Yowza, my shoulder's killing me,” Veemon mumbled, rubbing it. “I hate this …”
“You too, eh?” Patamon said, stretching.
Cody looked at Davis and Kari's faces and noticed the lack of sleep they held. “You two were up all night, weren't you?”
“I was on watch duty and Kari just wasn't ready to hit the sack,” Davis explained, yawning a little. He stared off into space, smiling, “I could just picture my own bed …”
“Stop!” Veemon cried. “I can't take it anymore!”
Davis looked at his partner, “I'm sorry Veemon, I've only taken about forty percent of sleep since we came here, and I'm not comfortable …”
TK smiled hopefully as he got up, “Well, today's another day. Let's hope something out of the ordinary happens.”
“Uh-huh,” Gatomon twitched her ears. “If I stay too long in this wet place, I think I'll get deleted …”
“Gatomon, don't say that!” Kari squealed.
“I can't help it Kari. I can't believe that even after all we've been through, we're still in this horrible, useless state.”
“And we'll keep sinking into this useless state if we don't get a move on,” Cody stood up from where he sat on the ground and brushed some dirt off of his trousers. “I'm a mess.”
Davis sighed and turned around, thinking. There had to be a purpose for their sudden appearance in the forest, and if he weren't mistaken, Ken and Yolei had to be here too.
We really need some help … he thought miserably.
He went back to the others who were discussing something about Digieggs and suddenly heard a familiar beeping noise. One he hadn't heard in a long time.
The others turned towards him, their expressions showing shock like his. For a moment, they stood there looking at each other as if unsure of what to do.
Then Davis reached into his pocket and took out his D3 with stumbling fingers. His eyes widened as he saw it blink brightly with blue light and fade with each beep. “The D3 …”
For the next minute, it didn't do anything but beep. Davis even turned it around in his hands but it did no use.
“OK …” Cody murmured, staring from the D3 to the others. “What next?”
As soon as he said that, the blue device screeched loudly, causing Davis to nearly drop it. It glowed ferociously now, covering every corner of their surroundings with white light.
Davis held it away from him but yelped as it shrieked louder than ever. He pulled it back, making it settle down a little. He was too busy shielding his eyes from the light he didn't hear TK call his name.
“DAVIS!”
Davis looked at him, “What?!”
TK pointed out in front of Davis, “Take it away from you again!”
Davis frowned, “WHAT?”
”I SAID, TAKE IT AWAY FROM YOU AGAIN!”
“ARE YOU CRAZY?”
“JUST DO IT!”
Davis turned his gaze back on the D3, and after a second, held it out in from of him. It once again, screeched louder, intensifying its glow as well. He felt TK's hand close around his arm and pull him forward.
“What are you doing?” he looked back at TK, who was straining against the pressure the D3 was putting on them. “Shut it down!”
“Trust me!” TK nodded towards the D3. “Move in the direction its pointing towards!”
Although confused, Davis agreed and step by step, walked towards a small clearing. He thought it naïve to think at this moment, the fact that he now agreed with whatever TK suggested. But whenever he did, it sometimes led him and the others to the right way.
The D3 started vibrating in his hands and as he moved away from the others, he had a hard time maintaining his grip on it. It felt lie it was going to blow. Davis gritted his teeth, fighting against the ear-splitting noise the device was giving out.
“C'mon Davis!” he saw Veemon running towards him. A moment later, the Rookie was walking alongside him. “I'm with you!”
Davis grinned despite the building difficulty and tramped onwards. After a few more steps, and a strong sensation of breaking down, the D3 stopped shrieking. It didn't glow as much as before and was now beeping as it did first.
“What …” Davis looked down at it, baffled. The others moved up and around him, their eyes on the blue D3 that lay flashing in Davis's hand.
“What happened?” Kari asked no one if particular.
TK grinned and pointed out ahead, “It's led us through to an indication!”
Davis followed his gaze and gasped as he saw, sprouting out through the trees from the ground, what looked like to be ruins of a temple. “No way …”
Gatomon started swishing her tail as she walked slowly towards it. Her eyes got narrower “It's definitely something … although, it could be dangerous.”
“Dangerous, schmangerous,” Veemon said, running forward. “It might be our ticket outta this dump!”
“Veemon, wait!” Cody cried. “Gatomon's right - it could be a trap!”
With that, Veemon skidded to a halt and moaned, “And I thought we were finally leaving this place …”
Davis pocketed the blinking D3 and turned to the others, “We should at least check it out. It might have something to do with this … situation.”
“You're right, Davis,” Kari nodded. “It's worth a try!”
TK stared uncertainly at her, looking hesitant but he too agreed, “I'll come too.”
Cody looked at his three friends doubtfully. He then ran a hand through his hair, sighing, “OK, OK, count me in as well …”
“That's the spirit, Cody!” Davis said, fervently. “Without you, there's no Digidestined!”
Cody beamed, but became solemn as he faced the weathered structure that stood before them, “Well … what're we waiting for? Let's go …”
And together, the Digidestined marched into the ruins, hoping to obtain some answers to their serious misfortune. And maybe to where Ken and Yolei were too.
Rita was furious. She had lost her anger at times but this was crossing the limits.
What's taking Cyrius so long? She walked across the room towards a window. This was the fortress's main entrance hall, and it looked no less than the rest of the dark passages. Rita stopped at the window and started outside, concentrating.
“Right,” she said and raised her arms up high. Her hair slowly lifted up behind her and the robes she was wearing flapped around her ankles.
She bought her hands together and slowly, a silver spiral formed between them. It flickered and twisted in amazing speed.
And as quickly as it had appeared, it vanished just like that.
“That might hold off the Digidestined for a while,” Rita cackled.
“Well done, Rita,” a very familiar voice came from the doorway, along with the sound of clapping.
“That was quite a Windbreaker you made. I'm sure that certainly stop those Digidestined,” Cyrius said, walking up to stand beside her.
“What are you playing at, Cyrius!” Rita spat, angrily. “They've found the temple! That's where it's held! Do you have any idea how much this could affect our plans?”
Cyrius smiled, “It's fine, it's all part of the plan. That Windbreaker you summoned would help, as well as our little fresh bait …”
“What are you talking about?”
“Well, I had just been down to the dungeons and I also released him to appear in the temple to guard it. The Digidestined won't be happy to find that one of their allies is still missing, you know.”
Rita frowned but it slowly vanished and Cyrius raised his hand and a fog appeared before them. Just barely visible in the thickness of the fog was the structure of a boy, his features more man-like. His navy hair flew out over his head and his cheeks had a shade of grey.
------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------
Author's Note: I hope this was good enough for all you guys out there. The net at me place is busted and I'm typing this at my Aunt's. I wanted to fill in more but I guess that should wait till the next chapter.
OK, review if you want. And keep reading, there will be much more to come!
Cheerio!