Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Digimon Millenium ❯ The Storm of Transport ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Nope, I don't own Digimon … the story's mine, though!
 
Author's Note: Thanks for your reviews! Appreciated greatly. It's about time the others ran into Ken, even I was starting to lose my patience. The story's coming to a close pretty soon, but I'll need to cram all that's in it to the last few chapters since I totally wasted my time with the previous ones.
Please read and as always, review if you want!
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
Chapter Ten
 
The Storm of Transport
 
“Wow, this place is huge!” Tai said, looking around at the interior walls of the tower. The older Digidestined had decided to examine the edifice to see if it had anything to do with the other part of the Digital World. Izzy walked way ahead of the others, immensely interested in what he saw.
“Tell me about it,” Matt whistled. “This could be used as the head building for the National Aeronautics and Space Administration!”
Gabumon looked at him, his eyes wide with curiosity, “Since when did you become so interested in space?”
Matt smirked, “Since when did you know what NASA was?”
“Well, Sora told me when us Digimon were in the Real World. I was watching this real cool space show on TV when -”
“Hey guys! Check this out!” Izzy's voice interrupted their conversation, and the group hurried over. They gasped as they saw what Izzy was pointing at.
It seemed to be a huge screen, marked with crimson spots. The surroundings in it were dark and mysterious and there were some characters moving across the screen. Tai's eyes widened in disbelief as he noticed the symbols they comprised of.
“Isn't that … the Crest of Hope?” Matt said, noticing his brother's crest symbol.
“Hold on a second!” Izzy shouted. “The others! That's them!”
Sora grinned, “Yeah, it is! That's great, now we know where their location is!”
“Yeah, but what exactly is this?” Agumon asked. “It looks like a tracking device.”
“It's a bit like that,” Izzy said. “Only it's also the map of the other side of the Digiworld! Where the others are at!”
Tai frowned, spotting a distinction. He pointed to the pink crest mark, “Then … why is Kari's symbol blinking?”
“Yeah, and Ken's as well,” Gabumon said, nodding forward.
They stared at the screen in silence, watching the crests move across the map. Kari and Ken's crests were blinking brightly and fading each second. It was strange how those two were the only ones that were. The others were perfectly fine, glowing normally.
“Well … this is difficult,” Izzy said, folding his arms. He was just about to open his mouth to say something when a faraway voice broke in on the dialogue.
“I'm here!”
Tai almost fell over, recognizing in an instant whose singsong voice that belonged to. “W-what is she doing here?!” he blurted out as soon as he recovered. He pointed towards the entry of the tower, where stood none other than Mimi Tachikawa with her Digimon partner, Palmon. Mimi's hair was dyed back to its original cinnamon-brown, from the red color it was a few weeks back from what she told Sora. But the normal-hair occurrence didn't stop her from wearing fashionable outfits. Joe hung behind her, engaged in a discussion with his Digimon, Gomamon.
“Mimi!” Sora said, happily, running towards her best friend. Both girls squealed at the sight of each other and began talking excitedly the instant Sora approached Mimi.
“Never in my life will I understand girls …” Matt murmured, shaking his head,
“How in the surface of the Digiworld did she get here?” Izzy said, frowning. He was always a little irritated of Mimi.
Joe reached them, his hands clasped together, “Well, the thing is. My shift at the hospital was finished so my time was free. I decided to join you guys in the Digiworld, and I also sent a message to Mimi asking if she'd like to come alone as well …”
“How did you get here?” Tai asked as Mimi waved at him. He smiled at her, nodding.
“I told her where you guys were located, and I took the Digigate nearest here. She did the same …” Joe explained. He only now realized the screen that was in front of them and he stood aghast at the sight of it.
“Shocked?” Matt asked, grinning at the well-known scared expression of his.
“What the heck is this?” Joe asked, stepping forward.
“I'm not gonna explain, this is far too complicated,” Agumon piped up, sniffing loudly.
Izzy sighed, and started on clearing up their confusion. When he had finished telling them what this was about, Joe and Mimi looked horrified.
“So, it's happened again?” Mimi asked, a worried look etched on her pretty face.
“You can say that,” Tai said. “Except now this crisis is darker than ever …”
“We've gotta help them!” Palmon cried, staring in alarm at the screen. “What if they're in trouble, or something?”
Izzy nodded, “We're doing everything we can … we've managed to gain contact with the others, but we can't reach them face-to-face.”
“Then you're not trying hard enough,” a very familiar voice entered the discussion.
Tai and Matt looked around the tower in haste, Izzy almost dropped his laptop and the others made similar movements of surprise.
“G-Gennai!?” Tai said, unable to believe his ears. He was sure that if he got more shocks like this, he might get a heart attack.
“Hello Tai. I'm glad you remembered me, although your reactions were very entertaining,” Gennai's voice boomed through the tower.
“Then … where are you?” Sora asked.
“Oh, yes, I might have to mention the fact that you might not be able to see me. I can see you, though.”
“That's great!” Izzy said, thrusting his laptop open. He began typing at random speed, “Gennai, you've gotta tell us where you're speaking from!”
“I'm afraid that isn't going to work, Izzy. Don't you think I've already tried connecting the Digital gates to the seal of the Real World?”
Izzy's fingers hovered over the keyboard for a second before he closed his laptop shut. He bowed his head, sighing.
“What would that have done?” Matt asked, lifting an eyebrow.
“The gates together would have strengthened the deal, and the consequence is that they would've been deleted as well.”
“Then isn't there any other way to open the entrance to this other side of the Digiworld?” Tentomon asked.
“And what is this `other side' thingamabob?” Mimi said, making quotation marks with her fingers on the two words.
“Well, let's just say that the region had been hidden since even before I became guardian … and now that its creator's returned, it has revealed itself. When I found out about this, I desperately tried releasing the gate to this place, but my efforts were useless.”
“So what would we have to do to break into this reign?” Tai asked with a determined look on his face. If only his goggles were strapped to his head, it would've looked like a sight from eight years ago.
“There are strange vortexes appearing in certain areas of the Digiworld. The return of their originator is the cause of their rebirth. Go into them, and they will take you directly to the other realm.”
“Well, that's easy,” Biyomon chirped happily.
“Actually, it's not,” Gennai's voice turned very serious. “It's very hard to in fact get into a vortex. It had to be satisfied with you, that it's whisking you off into the other reign.”
“So, those things have minds of their own?” Sora asked, horrified.
“Something like that. You must be the object of their attention in order to get stuck inside the vortex.”
Mimi said, “Then … how do we do that?”
There was silence.
“Gennai?” Tai asked.
“You'll have to cause chaos. So that they know you're all intruders and they capture you within their grip.”
“Hey, this sounds like a scene from one of the comics you had when you were eleven, Tai!” Agumon said, grinning.
Tai smiled at the virtuousness of his partner, before turning his attention back to Gennai. Or rather his voice. “Alright, we get that, Gennai. But what exactly is this place? This tower?”
“Oh this? It's just a little place I'd like to call home for some of my fellow guardians.”
“You mean your clones?” Gomamon brought up.
“Yes. One of them knew about this other realm long before I. In fact, I found out when he told me about it. I don't know where he is right now, but he left this map of the realm.”
“Uh-huh, we noticed it,” Tai said.
“I wish I can help you more, but I have other matters to attend to,” Gennai said. “Matters which are involved in this very serious case. I will explain further issues later on. The best of luck to all of you, Digidestined.”
A humming noise occurred after his speech, leaving the Digidestined silent, looking at one another.
 
In the Other Reign …
Davis didn't know how long they had been walking for. All he knew was that his feet felt heavy and his mind was screaming for sleep. But he couldn't rest till they at least came to a safer location. Ken had begun to heal. He could now walk by himself, although not as fast as the others, but it was a start.
Kari gained consciousness but still needed support; Davis and TK were there for that. It had took a while for her to wake up since they escaped the dark tower, and Davis couldn't help but be thrilled at the improvement, though she was still injured.
“So how long do we have to keep walking for, Davis?” TK asked with his face down with fatigue. “I think we should rest a while …”
“Seriously, TK,” Davis replied. “I agree strongly with what you're saying. But it would be better if we seek shelter in a safer position.”
TK nodded his agreement and stopped a moment to adjust his grasp on Kari.
He really is a great guy, Davis thought, remembering when his sister, Jun had said those words before. He always used to think TK's heroic act of goodness was just to showoff in front of Kari, but now he saw that it was really his gift. Davis had begun to be good friends with him since he pushed aside his crush for Kari, and he saw what he was too blind to see in probably all his friends.
Davis was too busy absorbed in his thoughts that he didn't hear Yolei calling him. He looked up to find her looking at him, troubled. For a minute, he thought that those marks had crept back onto his face, but nothing of the sort happened.
“What is it, Yolei?” he asked, frowning.
“Look over there,” she said, facing the dim landscape. She pointed forward at some indistinct shape that was constantly stirring, hidden in the mist.
Davis's frown deepened and his hand twitched towards his pocket where the D3 was placed, “What is it?”
“It looks like … a Digimon,” Ken croaked, his eyes huge with fright. “I can feel it!”
He yelled out loud and fell to his knees, clutching his stomach.
“Ken!” Yolei cried, rushing to him.
Wheezing hard, Ken looked up at his friends, “We've gotta … RUN!”
“What do you mean, Ken?” Davis asked, his heartbeat speeding up. “What is it?”
Ken shook his head, “Just … DO IT!”
He nodded and looked at Yolei, “Yolei, help Kari! I'll assist Ken!”
Yolei ran forward and took Kari's arm while Davis went forward and helped Ken off the ground. “Cody, you too!”
Cody took Ken's other side and as fast as they could, they turned the other way round. It wasn't the fastest way of movement but Davis knew they had no choice.
“We've got … to hurry!” Ken grunted, his eyes closed tightly.
Before they could go any further, they heard a deep voice boom out. “Darkness Zone.”
Davis blinked, his blood going cold. In mere seconds, they were surrounded by obscurity. Ken shouted out in pain and slid to his knees. Davis didn't help him up this time, knowing it was no use now that they couldn't see anything.
“Davis!” TK yelled out. “We've gotta stay together!”
“Right!” Davis replied and managed to edge closer to the source of his voice. Faint noises of footsteps nearby told him Cody did the same, all the while helping Ken too.
Davis felt around, trying to get what he could of the others. He grabbed a hand, and recognizing it was limp, he realized it was Kari's. He squeezed it briefly, as if trying to assure her without words that everything would be alright.
“This looks familiar!” Patamon's voice broke through the darkness. “Where have I seen this attack before?”
Silence followed after that. The air was filled with tension, the Digidestined clearly trapped, now knowing what it was that had launched this attack.
“Virus Grenade …” the voice rumbled out again and shards of energy balls came flying out at them from the darkness.
Davis yelled painfully, as one rammed onto his back. Hearing shouts from around him, he knew that the others had been hit as well.
“It's Apocalymon!” Gatomon hissed. “We need to get outta here!!”
Davis felt a pang of fear for Ken and Kari, the two who were hurt before all this. What would their condition be right now? He tightened his grip on Kari's hand and pulled her towards him. He had to at least protect one of them. Throwing his arms around her, he tried shielding her from the barrage of energy that was being thrown at them. He bit his lip so hard to prevent screaming out loud, that he tasted blood in his mouth.
“Somebody get Ken!” he yelled out, gasping as another blow hit him on the shoulder. He didn't know who got Ken, or whether he was being defended or not, but he felt the same dreadful feeling of worthlessness.
“Please … get him …” he breathed. He couldn't take anymore of the pain that was increasing the second. He slowly fell to his knees, his arms still around Kari, stupor replacing his strength.
“No …” his eyelids strained to stay open but failed. The last thing he felt was Kari growing warmer and then nothing.
 
Back in the original side …
“So … is everyone ready?” Tai asked, looking both sides at his group who stood around him. It was time to act. It had taken some time before they found what they were looking for; a dark vortex that spun around further ahead of them.
“Whenever you are,” Matt said, keeping his eyes on the twister. “This is gonna be fun.”
Tai grinned and turned back to face the vortex, “Alright then, ready … GO!”
And at once they proceeded. Tai helped Mimi climb onto Greymon and he mounted behind her. At once, the Champion took off through the plains. Feeling the wind soaring through his hair, Tai laughed. He missed this experience so much. To his left he saw Matt and Izzy on Garurumon and Sora and Joe on Birdramon. The rest of the Digimon ran behind them, prepared to assault.
“Nova Blast!” Greymon opened his mouth to let out a ball if fire, which just missed the vortex by inches.
“Careful, Tai!” Mimi squealed, holding on firmly. “My hair's getting messed up!”
“Lighten up, Meems!” Tai chuckled. “This is just like it used to be!”
“Howling Blaster!” Garurumon roared from nearby and a flash of energy flew past Greymon and crashed into the rocks by the twister.
“An `A' for effort, Matt!” Sora called, laughing. Matt looked up at his girlfriend where she leaned on Birdramon, confusion etched on his face.
“Meteor Wing!” Birdramon's attack came whizzing towards the vortex, missing it just as Tai's had done. Sora grinned, proud of her shot.
“That was pretty good, Sora, but there's gotta be second attempts at everything!” Matt said, smirking. “Go get `em Garurumon!”
“Slamming Attack!”
And that was how the battle of the attacks started. Without anyone realizing it; they were having too much fun to care. It felt strange, seeing as the situation they were in was very serious for all of this. They also had the upper hand; the vortex was beginning to spin rather faster.
Tai whistled low as Birdramon launched her third assail near the vortex. He laughed, loving every minute of it when Mimi shook his arm violently and almost deafened him with her screams, “Hit it, Tai! HIT IT! SHOW THEM WHAT YOU'RE MADE OF!”
“Okay, okay, Mimi!” Tai groaned, wincing. The girl was having just as much fun as the rest of them, but if she wasn't careful, she could leave Tai crippled for the rest of his life.
“Nova Blast!” Greymon's attack shot out and, to everyone's surprise, hit the vortex instantly.
“Direct Hit!” Kabuterimon said.
Greymon stopped running and stared straight ahead at it. Mimi tightened her grip on Tai's arm, making him flinch but he too was unable to take his eyes away from the vortex. Around him, he noticed the others slowing down as well.
“Oh my …” Sora said, her eyes as wide as saucers.
The vortex was expanding. It stretched out, amazingly vast, and its color darkened to a terrible extent. A strange current roamed in the air, mysteriously pulling them towards it.
This is it … Tai thought, holding on to Greymon securely.
The current intensified in a second, its force of that like a tornado's. Tai felt his hair streaming back and he yelped as Greymon was suddenly pushed towards the vortex. The others experienced the same thing, and before they knew it they all flew into the windstorm. He closed his hand around Mimi's and felt Greymon dedigivolve back to Agumon.
“Tai!” he cried, grabbing hold to his shoulder.
“Stay close!” he yelled, seizing his Digimon partner by the arm. He was confused by what he saw around him. Agumon and Mimi were by his side, and Palmon, Joe and Gomamon were closing in. He couldn't see Matt, Sora or Izzy. This was not part of the plan. They had to stay together!
Before he could say more than a word, he felt himself being swallowed by complete and total darkness.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------
 
Author's Note: Well, I'm done for the day. I decided to fill this chapter on the older Digidestined's side although it did have some action on the younger.
I don't know where I got the idea of The Battle of the Attacks from but I kinda enjoyed writing it. Oh, and I made some sorta closure between Tai and Mimi. Don't get the wrong idea, I'm not planning to squeeze Michi into this story … but that's up to you! I've been watching the episodes from Season One where Princess Mimi captures Tai, Joe and the Digimon. So I guess I wanted to make something on their friendship. Anyways, review if you want.
Cheerio! ^^