Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Digiquest for Glory: So You Want to Be a Hero ❯ First Day in Town ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Digiquest for Glory: So you want to be a hero

Chapter 2

By Time Lady

---------------------------------

Disclaimer: I do not own Digimon or Quest for Glory.

---------------------------------

Daisuke patted his stomach. He was warm, he had a full belly, he was ready for adventure. "So what do we do next?"

"I think we should check out the adventurer's guild," said Yamato. "It's getting late and we should stick close to town."

"We should probably stick together, at least for the first day," agreed Ken. "Once we get our bearings we should split up and cover more ground."

Yamato tried not to hide his grin as he noticed his younger brother's downtrodden expression. "Don't worry, we'll stop by the magic shop. _After_ we check out the guild."

Sighing, Takeru nodded his agreement. He didn't have much choice in the decision. Daisuke led the way out of the inn. Sheriff Starmon waved to them from his seat on the steps. Deputymon continued playing with his cards. Following the sheriff's earlier directions, they turned down the main street. A few doors down, they passed a sign with a large eye. As they walked past the eye seemed to follow them.

"Creepy," commented Ken.

"A real magic shop," said Takeru in an awed voice.

"Later," said Yamato firmly. He had to drag his brother away from the front of the shop.

An old lady sat in a rocking chair on a porch. Even though her chair rocked, she was apparently fast asleep. A Salamon lounged in her lap. Yamato led the group quietly past her house. At the end of the street was a building. A wooden sign identified this building as the adventurer's guild. Daisuke strode forward and pushed the door open.

Inside was a large, spacious hall. An old man sat in a chair. He appeared to have fallen asleep while polishing his sword. A huge fire raged in an enormous stone fireplace. In the center of the room was a wooden table holding a book and quill pen. A battered and apparently well used suit of armor stood in a corner, now a rusting decoration. Hanging on the walls next to ancient tapestries were various strange creatures none of the boys had seen. "Shamamon, defeated by Gennai Abentaur. . ." Takeru read under the head of a fearsome looking, green skinned creature. "I wouldn't want to meet that in a dark alley."

Daisuke examined the enormous gryphon head labeled "Gryphon, beaten by Gennai Abentaur." On the next wall was "Cheetauromon, killed by Geenai Abentaur. . . ." "Man," he said aloud. "This guy must have been some hotshot."

"I wouldn't want to have been in his shoes," said Ken as he examined the claw marks in the suit of armor.

"This one looks easy. . .," said Daisuke. "Sauromon, felled by Hans Halfwitten." The Sauromon was right below the standard Moosemon head hanging on the wall.

"What the. . . .Antwerp, caught by the Two Guys from Andromeda?" said Yamato. Then, his eye was caught by the dominating feature of the wall. "Dragonomon, killed by Baron Stefan von Spielburg." "The baron must have been something else at one time," he muttered.

Ken began flipping through the book on the table while Takeru studied a message board. "Last entry says the Baronet Barnard von Spielburg killed a Shamamon," said Ken. "That was a few years ago. This place apparently has been inactive since."

"Probably because the Baronet is missing," said Takeru, reading the board. "So is his younger sister."

"Cute kid," said Daisuke as he looked at the picture of the missing girl.

"Hmm. . . . the healer needs potion ingredients. . . . she's also missing a ring," said Takeru as he read the other postings. Suddenly there was a loud crash. The dozing man jumped up, swinging his sword.

"OOPS," said Daisuke as he tried to fix the falling suit of armor.

The man squinted as he looked at the group. "YOU! What are you doing here?" he demanded.

"We're adventurers sir," said Yamato, his hands held up placatingly. "We were looking for the guild master."

Chuckling, the man sat back down in his chair. "Well, you've found him. I am Gennai Abentaur, the guild master of Spielburg. Not many people have been able to make it here recently. The south pass is blocked by brigands and the late winter storms usually block the north entrances."

We just made it before the avalanche," said Yamato. Ken and Takeru glared at Daisuke.

"You must have come in reply to Starmon's message," said Gennai. "I hate to admit it, but our town is desperately in need of some heroes."

As Gennai described the town's problems and needs, both Takeru and Ken's attention began to wander. Particularly when Yamato and Daisuke began asking about monsters. Neither Ken nor Takeru were really interested in monsters other than in avoiding them. Ken's interests lay elsewhere. In his pocket he felt the cool, slender lock pick almost calling to be used. However, he had to exercise prudence. According to the guide, before he could really become "active," he needed to check if there was a local Thieves' Guild. Guilds could be rather nasty if they were crossed. The local adventurers' guild master, however, seemed like the least likely person to acknowledge the existence of a guild of thieves.

Takeru stood by the small, cracked windowpane, staring at the sign of the magic shop. The eyeball seemed to be staring back at him. Every time he had used his zap spell when they were on the road, he felt his abilities growing. But he also felt a strong urge to learn more. There was so much out there. "Well, the maci shop is a good source for a budding magician, but that Sorcerymon likes to keep to himself," said Gennai in response to questions about the town. Takeru turned his attention back to the conversation. "Now if you really want someone to talk to, try talking to Wizardmon," continued Gennai.

"Wizardmon?" asked Takeru.

"A very powerful archmage," said Gennai. "He has a home on Mount Zauderberg nearby. Magic is out of my area. You might try talking to him." Gennai glanced out the window and saw the sun beginning to set. He sheathed the sword he had been polishing and pushed himself out of his chair. "Well, it's getting late.
Please sign the logbook before you go."

Taking this as a dismissal, the group walked over and each signed the book. Yamata had just finished signing the book when he noticed Takeru was at the door. "Wait up," he told his brother. Once they were outside, however, there was no stopping Takeru. The younger brother made a bee line for the magic shop door. "Come on," sighed Yamato to Ken and Daisuke.

"Daisuke looked up at the eyeball and shuddered. "Do we have to?"

"Is the big, strong hero afraid of a little sign?" chuckled Ken.

"I'm not scared. I just think it's a waste of time," returned Daisuke.

"Takeru waited patiently while you asked about every single head on the wall at the adventurers' guild," said Yamato. "You could give him the courtesy of going along."

"Oh all right," said Daisuke grudgingly.

He followed Yamato and Ken inside. Takeru stood just past the doorway. The expression on his face was one of a starved person faced with a buffet of food. He didn't know where to look first. Shelves on the walls were lined with books, scrolls, and jars.

"Ewww. . . . ." said Daisuke as he looked at a jar full of little eyeballs.

"He can slaughter monsters, get monster guts splattered all over himself, yet he balks at a jar of eyeballs," said Ken with a smirk.

"Ha ha," returned Daisuke. He walked over to a large crystal ball. Ken looked around, contemplating "picking up" something valuable.

"Don't touch anything," warned Takeru.

"Why not?" asked Daisuke.

"Can't you feel it?" asked Takeru.

"Feel what?" returned Ken, who was becoming slightly irritated.

"There are magical traps all over the place," said Takeru. "I don't know exactly what, but I feel it." Daisuke backed away from the crystal ball, right into the counter. What he thought was a rather ugly statue on a pedestal moved, revealing a rather mean looking Tsukaimon. It gave a loud shriek and flapped its ear wings.

"GAH!" shouted a very surprised Daisuke as he struggled to unsheath his sword. "Damn it!"

Suddenly, out of nowhere, a sparkle shimmered behind the front counter. A figure appeared, wearing a white cloak and hat, carrying a long staff. "I am Sorcerymon. This is my familiar Damiano," said the Digimon in a deep, serious voice. "Welcome to my magic shop. My wares are for those who have the power."

"Power?" asked Yamato.

"That which within a person allows them to use, shape, and focus mana, the essence of magic," returned Sorcerymon. "Only one of you here truly has such a gift." Sorcerymon fixed his gaze on Takeru, as did Damiano. The young man felt as if they penetrated his very soul.

"This is the first magic shop we have encountered since we left our home. Why is that?" asked Yamato, trying to alleviate the discomfort his brother was apparently feeling.

"There is strong mana in this valley," explained Sorcerymon with a hint of impatience to his tone. "It is what drew me to this town. The archmage Wizardmon has a home near here. It also drew the ogress Babamon Yaga. At one time, even the archmage Hikari resided in this valley."

"Who is Archmage Hikari? We've heard of the other two," said Ken.

"About 250 years ago, the archmage Hikari came to this valley. She set up a protective aura around the town walls, protecting the town itself from violence within. There is a place in the forest towards the north known as 'Hikari's Peace.' Some believe it is her last resting place, but that is unconfirmed. Should you have further questions, I suggest you speak to Wizardmon. He is the one for endless talk."

"Boy, someone got up on the wrong side of the bed," muttered Daisuke to Ken.

"What items do you have for sale?" Takeru asked.

Sorcerymon seemed more amenable to this subject. Due to the town's being cut off, Sorcerymon only had 3 spell scrolls in stock. He also carried a supply of potions made by the local healer outside of town. As much as Takeru wanted the flame dart spell, he wouldn't have enough money for that and a meal and room. He settled for a fetch spell instead.

"Got what you wanted? Good, let's go." Daisuke didn't even give Takeru a chance to respond. He took Takeru by the arm and practically dragged him out of the shop. Yamato turned to say goodbye to Sorcerymon, but the Digimon had disappeared. His Tsukaimon familiar sat on its pedestal glaring at them.

Outside, Takeru fell into a sullen silence. Not only had Daisuke been rude to the shopkeeper, he had also not let Takeru get a chance to ask even a quarter of the questions he had. Takeru would have to go back another time. Possibly when Sorcerymon would be more amenable to talking. Definitely when he had more money to purchase scrolls.

"The place was creeping Daisuke out," said Yamato in a low voice to his brother. "You can't blame him for wanting to get out of there."

"I didn't even get to ask about the rumored curse," returned Takeru.

"We can try talking to Wizardmon," said Yamato. "It looked like we were bothering Sorcerymon."

Takeru nodded reluctantly. It was nearly dark when they opened the door to the Hero's Tale Inn. "Welcome guests," said Shameen as he stood. A man sat at the table of the common room, his turbaned head down on the table.

"A thousand curses upon the brigands and their leader!" he cried out.

"Please excuse our friend Abdulla. His caravan was ambushed by the brigands, and Abdulla has lost everything," explained Shameen. "I do think he would appreciate the company."

Taking a cue from Shameen, Yamato walked over to the table where Abdulla sat. "Pardon us sir. Would you mind if we joined you?"

Abdulla sat up. "Oh, forgive me young sirs. It is a dark day when a man can not journey along the roads safely. Please join me."

"What happened?" asked Takeru as he sat down at the table.

"I, Abdulla Doo, merchant of Shapeir, had hoped to bring the first caravan of fine goods from the south to Spielburg. As we approached the valley, our caravan was set upon by brigands. The guards were useless! Not a single man or Digimon was willing to give his life to protect the caravan! What is the world coming to?"

"What indeed?" asked Ken, suppressing a shudder. After his own experience as a caravan guard, he was less than sympathetic about the guards.

"And now, I am penniless," continued Abdulla. "Taken in by my friends, I am barely a shadow of the man I once was."

Shema gracefully glided out of the back room. "Greetings sirs. How may I serve you this evening?" she purred.

"A meal for each of us, and for this gentleman here," said Yamato.

"Good sir, I can not. . ." protested Abdulla.

"It's nothing," said Yamato.

"Very well. I accept your generous offer," said Abdulla. Smiling, Shema left to prepare the meal. "My friends, I will let you in on a secret. Among the items stolen from me was a magic carpet! If it is reclaimed, I will take all of you to Shapeir. For Shapeir too is in need of heroes."

While they waited for Shema to bring their meal, Abdulla told more about the attack. Takeru listened curiously as Abdulla described the Brigand Wizard. "I wonder what spell might cause men to start choking and sneezing like that? It might be useful," thought Takeru. Abdulla had just finished telling about the brigands when Shema brought their dinner.

"Mmm. . . . smells good," said Daisuke.

"Braised lamb on a bed of couscous seasoned with dried apricots and currants," said Shema. "A speciality of the house."

When they finished, it was still early in the evening. But this was a new town and caution was necessary. Yamato needed to clear his mind and think. He pulled his lute from his pack and began to play a soft melody. Inspired by the music, Abdulla began to tell Daisuke tales of Shapeir. Ken began tossing crumpled pieces of paper at a bin used for trash. His aim still needed a bit of work. Takeru used his new fetch spell to retrieve the pieces that missed.

So they passed their first evening in Spielburg. They paid Shameen for a room for the night. The room was warm and comfortable. However, sleep was slow in coming for Takeru, Ken and Yamato. "Tomorrow," said Ken, "Takeru, could you ask Sorcerymon if there's a spell that stops snoring?" Ken glanced at Daisuke, who was sprawled across his bed snoring.

"At the very least, let's make him get a separate room," said Takeru.

Much later than they planned, the other three fell asleep as well.

<to be continued>

Author's note: Yes, this chapter was a bit slow. Next chapter will have a lot more action