Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Digiquest for Glory: So You Want to Be a Hero ❯ Of Town and Country ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Digiquest for Glory: So you want to be a hero

Chapter 4

By Time Lady

---------------------------------

Disclaimer: I do not own Digimon or Quest for Glory.

---------------------------------

Waking up was not a pleasant thing for Ken, whose side still hurt. Gradually he opened his eyes. Only Takeru was in the room, practicing one of his spells. "How are you feeling?" asked the young spellcaster.

"I've felt better," returned Ken as he sat up. "Where are Daisuke and Yamato?"

"Exploring," said Takeru. With a few gestures, the door to the cabinet opened. "No one wanted to leave you here alone. I volunteered to stay behind."

"What time is it?"

"It's getting close to noon by now." He saw Ken's eyes widen. "After the beating you took yesterday, we decided to let you sleep in." Takeru repeated his gestures from earlier. The door to the room opened slowly. "I'll have Shema make up something for you to eat while you get dressed."

"Thank you," said Ken. Takeru closed the door behind himself, leaving Ken alone. Groaning, Ken pulled off his jerkin. Carefully he unwrapped the bandages. Underneath he found a small amount of scarring, but nothing else to show he had been injured. He walked over to a pitcher and basin and washed.

Takeru sat at the table, talking with Shameen while he waited for Ken. "Ifreets? Djinni?" asked Takeru.

"Beings of magic that inhabit the deserts of Shapeir, young human," said Shameen. "Shapeir is a land of much magic. It is rumored that one of the many entrances to the Wizards Institute of Technocery is hidden within the walls of the city to all except those who walk the path of magic."

"I would love to visit there," said Takeru wistfully.

"If our fortunes should change, perhaps you and your friends will accompany us," said the Kattamon. "As Abdulla has already stated, Shapeir is in need of heroes."

Ken walked into the common room. He nodded to Shameen, then sat down at a table. Shameen clapped twice to call Shema. Takeru joined Ken at the table. "So, any plans for today?" Ken asked Takeru.

"Not really. I wanted to do a little exploring of the area right around the town, but no specific plans."

"Would you mind if I opted out of exploring?" asked Ken. "I'm not really in the mood to tangle with any brigands or creatures today."

"Sure. I can try to see if I can get any more information of Sorcerymon."

"You don't have to stay behind on my account. Go ahead and explore."

"Are you certain about that?" asked Takeru as Shema brought out a tray of fruit and bread and a pot of strong Shapeirian coffee.

"Yes. After I eat, I may go and lie down for a while. If I feel up to it, I may check out some of the shops."

"All right," said Takeru hesitantly. He poured himself some coffee and took a piece of bread from the tray. "I won't go far from town, and I'll be back by sundown."

---

"That's the _third_ time we came through the Goblimon training ground," said Yamato. He glared at Daisuke. "You've been leading us in circles!"

"Hey, all these trees look the same," he replied as he wiped his sword on the grass. "But at least we've made a couple hundred silvers. One of those guys must have won the poker game last night."

"This time, I'm picking the direction," returned Yamato as he finished cleaning his own sword. The young fighter pulled healing and stamina potions out of his pack and downed them. "If we keep fighting those Goblimon, we're going to wind up spending all the money we earn on healing and stamina potions."

Yamato began walking south. Rolling his eyes in exasperation, Daisuke followed him.

---

Takeru took a breath of fresh air outside the inn. "Up a bit late today," said Starmon. The sheriff sat on the steps of his porch.

"Yeah. So, is there anything interesting that's not far from town?" asked Takeru.

"Well now," the sheriff scratched his chin. "There's Mirror Lake and the Flying Falls just a bit south of town. Outside the town walls you could visit the target range or the cemetery. . ."

"Since when has the cemetery been a tourist attraction?" asked Deputymon.

"When was the last time we had a tourist?" returned Starmon.

"Well, how do I get to the lake?" asked Takeru

"Just head on out of town and mosey on down south a bit. Can't miss it," said Starmon.

"Thanks," said Takeru with a wave. He set out through the town gates. Leaning against the open gate was a rather unsavory looking digimon, who was flipping a dagger in his hand and catching it by the blade. Repressing a shiver, Takeru followed the path south.

---

"What the heck is that?" said Daisuke. They had come to a cliff side and found a rather strange creature there. It was about the same color as an eggplant and was shaped like a fat bowling pin. The creature bounced continuously.

"It kind of looks like one of the heads on the wall of the Adventurer's Guild," said Yamato. The bouncing creature didn't approach or threaten them. It just. . . . bounced. "I think it was called an Antwerp. Come on. It doesn't look like it's about to bother us. Or anyone. Let's go."

They walked past the Antwerp. "It looks like this end is a bit more traveled," said Daisuke as he noticed the grass appeared trampled. "And I think I know why!" Quickly he drew his sword as a brigand charged.

---

Ken stretched. This was the first time since they left home that he had a chance to be alone. Takeru, Yamato, and Daisuke had found things to suit their interests. Now it was time to scout out things for his particular "skills." Outside, the sheriff and his deputy were involved in some sort of discussion on tourists and the town's cemetery. Shrugging, he noticed a shady character "loitering" by the gate. The digimon had a roundish head and body, with a hat and mask covering his eyes. Cautiously Ken approached. He quickly glanced around to make sure they weren't being watched. Then Ken placed his thumb on his nose, with his fingers spread apart. He focused his eyes on his thumb, wiggled his fingers, and patted his belly with his other hand. "Whoever came up with these signs must have some strange sense of humor," thought the young thief as the digimon made an equally ludicrous countersign.

"Talk to Sneak in the alley at night. He'll tell you the password. And if you want any other information, it'll cost you a bit of silver. . ."

Ken tossed the Digimon a couple of silvers. "And you are?"

"Just call me Igamon," returned the Digimon.

"Now. . . what can you tell me about. . ."

---

"Whoever named this Mirror Lake definitely had the right idea," thought Takeru as he looked out over the water. Everything along the lake shore was perfectly reflected, as if in a mirror. The place seemed very peaceful, very tranquil. As if made for contemplation. Out of curiosity, Takeru cast "detect magic." The lake itself didn't register any sort of magic. Toward the north though, Takeru thought he sensed something faintly. The spellcaster decided to investigate.

Every few feet he cast "detect magic." Finally he reached a huge waterfall. Again he cast the spell. This time, he saw a flicker of something on the mountainside. Concentrating, he cast the spell again. A ladder flickered into view, then disappeared. "Interesting," thought Takeru. He stepped back and studied the mountainside. If you squinted just right, you could make out a doorway.

Takeru felt along the rocks until he found the ladder he detected before, then climbed up to the ledge. There definitely was a door in the mountainside. Cautiously he knocked on the door, then stepped out of the way. The door swung open violently. A furry body peeked out.

"Oh, 'ello there," he said. "Come on in." Warily Takeru accepted the invitation and followed the furry being in. Once inside, the massive stone door closed. "Pleased to meet you. I'm Jijimon the 'ermit. Don't get much company 'round 'ere. Comes with the job of bein' a 'ermit. . . "

---

"We're on to something," said Daisuke. "That's the fourth brigand we've faced on this road."

"This must be the path to the south pass," returned Yamato.

As they moved further along, the trees began to thin. Boulders lined the dirt road. After dispatching another couple of brigands and scavenging their coin purses, they found themselves at a rocky outcropping. Rubble blocked the path, as if an avalanche had blocked this end as well.

"I have a bad feeling about this," said Daisuke, his hand on the hilt of his sword.

"We're being watched. . .," said Yamato. "This is a perfect place for an ambush."

Suddenly they found themselves confronted by dozens of brigand archers stationed on top of the rubble and surrounding cliff faces. "I'd have to agree with you," whispered Daisuke. Slowly the two cautiously backed their way out of the canyon.

---

Ken sat in the common room of the inn. Out one of the windows, he could see the sun beginning to set. The others weren't back yet. Though he was worried, he was also practical. Without his friends, he could do the kind of research he needed to. Like finding Sneak and the local Thieves' Guild. In the pit of his stomach though he worried about his friends.

---

Takeru stifled a yawn. For a hermit, Jijimon loved to talk. The young spellcaster did glean some useful information out of him though. He found out that the "brigand wizard" visited the hermit on occasion. On the last visit, the wizard borrowed a magic mirror that Jijimon had borrowed from Wizardmon. The most useful piece of information Takeru received, however, was the Trigger spell. Wizardmon had cast a spell on the hermit's ladder, making it invisible except when the Trigger spell was cast.

"Well," said Takeru, "This has been an interesting discussion, but it's getting late My brother and friends will be wondering about me."

"I've enjoyed 'avin' the company," returned Jijimon. "If'n you're ever needin' a place to stay for the night, I'd be willin' to put you up for some rations an' a few games of cribbage."

"Sure," said Takeru. "I'll come visit again."

He couldn't get out of there fast enough. Once the door was closed behind him, he realized he had a bit of predicament. "Damn," muttered Takeru to himself. "The sun's almost set! I hope I make it back before the gates close!" Quickly he triggered the appearance of the ladder and climbed down. He then triggered the invisibility spell again.

Takeru began running. No way he wanted to get locked out of the town, and no way he wanted to spend the night with Jijimon. In his haste, he ran smack into a Goblimon.

"Damn," he muttered as the Goblimon raised its sword. "I hope this works. . ." The spell came to mind almost unbidden. A glowing ball of fire appeared in his hands, then flew at the Goblimon. Again and again the young man cast Flame Dart until finally the Goblimon fell. Takeru quickly searched its body, coming up with 12 silvers. "This would have paid for my room, if I'd have made it in time," thought Takeru as the sun sank behind the trees.

---

"Two good things about this," said Daisuke as he thrust into a Saurusmon. "We're getting plenty of experience and exercise, and we're making money at the same time."

Yamato would have rolled his eyes if he wasn't avoiding the Saurusmon's claws. "Saurusmon don't carry money. . ."

"Okay, okay," muttered Daisuke. He dodged the teeth while Yamato swung his sword. A few more slices between the two of them and the Saurusmon fell.

Panting from the exertion, they cleaned their swords on the grass. "I don't think we'll make it back to town in time," said Yamato. "The sun's almost down."

"We don't know how close to sundown the town closes," returned Daisuke. "Let's head back."

They made it back to the gates without any more battles. "Who goes there?" demanded a voice as a shadowy figure approached.

"Takeru?" asked Yamato. "What are you doing out here?"

"I thought you two would have made it back to town," sighed Takeru. "I went to see the local hermit and wound up losing track of time."

"We just kept getting stopped along the way," said Daisuke. "Where's Ken?"

"I'm assuming still inside town. He said he wasn't feeling up to hiking around after yesterday," explained Takeru.

"So you went off all by yourself?" began Yamato.

The darkness hid Takeru rolling his eyes in exasperation. "I'm a big boy. I can take care of myself now." To prove his point, he let loose a flame dart at a stick on the ground.

"Cut it out you two. We need to figure out what to do for the night," said Daisuke. "Did you try a spell?"

"The Open spell doesn't work on big, heavy, oak bars. Just on standard and magic locks." Briefly Takeru considered mentioning the hermit's offer, but thought better of it. The way the hermit liked to talk, no one would get much sleep. "There is that 'Hikari's Peace' place Sorcerymon mentioned. It should be safe," suggested Takeru.

"Not like we have much choice," said Yamato. "Come on. And you lead Takeru. Daisuke spent most of the morning leading us in circles."

"You don't have to rub it in," muttered Daisuke as they began walking north.

---

The sun was down, the gates closed for the night. Ken left the warm fireplace of the Hero's Tale Inn for the chill of the night. He pulled up the hood of his cloak around his face. Partially for the warmth, partially to hide his identity. Bruno had said to find Sneak in the alley next to the Aces and Eights Tavern.

Stealthily the young thief crept along the dark streets. He was tempted to try picking a few locks, but thought better of it. Thieves' Guilds were notorious for dealing with people not cleared to work in their town.

The fruit stand was closed, only a few shriveled vegetables discarded on the ground. A shop next to the stand was closed. As were the Butcher and the Bakery. Notes were posted on the last two doors, but it was too dark for him to read them. From the alley, he saw a glowing light. Cautiously he sneaked forward. Towards the back of the alley appeared to be a gold coin.

"A piece of gold isn't something you pass up," thought Ken as he approached the "coin." Suddenly, a dagger whizzed past his ear. A dark figure appeared in front of him. He turned to run, but found himself cut off by another dark figure. Both were brandishing very sharp daggers.

"Hand over your coin purse, if you want to live," growled one of the figures.

---

"We should be getting near," said Takeru after casting another detect magic spell. "There's something to the north."

"I hope so. I'm getting tired," complained Daisuke.

"Hold it," said Yamato. "Something's out there." He and Daisuke drew their swords. Takeru readied himself to cast flame dart.

A rustle in the bushes. Then. . . ."Rrrrrooooooaaaaaaarrrrrr!!!!!!!!!"

"Cheetauromon!" exclaimed Takeru.

<to be continued>

Author's notes:

Okay, I'm evil, leaving off on a double cliffhanger like that ^_^. Don't worry, I won't wait too long on the next episode. It should be out soon.

For the most part, I'm going to be using Japanese names. To the person who left me the nasty message about using American names, tough. Don't read my stories if you don't like the way I do things. I don't let people dictate to me how my stories go.

In fact, a _lot_ of people are probably going to have things to say about things I've set up in the future episodes (assuming I make it all the way to the 5th game. . .). But I look at it this way - what Digimon/Digidestined fits into this situation? I could just as easily go with the cannon standards, but if it doesn't work in my story, I won't do it. Like what I did in "The White Gatomon." I looked at the character I needed to fit the part, and while Sora would have been the standard choice for the relationship, Sora didn't work in that part. The actions were something that fit Mimi's personality. You're going to find me doing a lot of that in this series in particular. So bear with me.

Igamon is the Japanese name for Ninjamon (according to Megchan's page). Megchan's homepage is: http://www.megchan.com/digimon/