Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Digiquest for Glory: So You Want to Be a Hero ❯ Confrontations and Hurdles ( Chapter 8 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Digiquest for Glory: So you want to be a hero

Chapter 8

By Time Lady

---------------------------------

Disclaimer: I do not own Digimon or Quest for Glory.

---------------------------------

Ken yawned as he leaned against the town gate. Yamato and Daisuke had returned from practicing with the Weapons Master. The elder fighter had rather abruptly woken the young thief to inquire if there had been any word from Takeru. Then Ken found himself dragged outside to wait by the town gates. He glanced over and noticed Igamon was leaning against the other side of the fence, flipping his dagger as if it were a coin. "Tell me again why we're out here?" yawned Ken.

"I have no idea." Daisuke's stomach rumbled. "We could just as easily waited inside the inn and had some of Shema's curried lamb."

"It's hard to judge the time from indoors," returned Yamato tersely. He looked up at the sky. The sun was high overhead. "He should be here by now."

"Give him time." Ken yawned again. "The sun just reached the high point."

"Besides, he may have run into something along the way," added Daisuke. "Whoa!" He grabbed Yamato's arm before he could run off. "I mean, he may be talking to the Kentauromon farmer, or to Aluramon or something. Like Ken said, give him some time."

---

Takeru walked out of Aluramon's cottage. He had sold the grateful healer the Cheetauromon claws, then purchased several mana potions. Playing Mage's Maze made him realize that his mana still needed to be built up by practice, but until then, he couldn't be caught short. He paused in his tracks when he saw the others standing outside the gate. Yamato's expression told him this wasn't going to be pleasant. Sighing, he approached his friends.

"How could you?" began Yamato. "How could you go off on your own like that? This is dangerous country."

"I'm old enough to take care of myself," returned Takeru tersely.

"I am your older brother. . ."

"You may be my older brother, but you're not my father," snapped Takeru. He tried to move around Yamato to go into the town, but Yamato stepped in front of him.

"You are going to listen to what I have to say and you are going to listen now," growled Yamato.

"Or what Yamato?" Takeru stepped away from his brother. "I don't need a chaperone everywhere I go. I just spent the last two hours playing Mage's Maze and talking magic with Wizardmon and Chuumon. You're going to sit through that? Or are you going to make me sit while you talk swordfighting and monsters with Gennai?"

"Now listen. . ."

"This is getting serious," Daisuke whispered to Ken.

"I think we need to get them apart to cool down," returned Ken.

"GET OUT OF MY WAY!" Takeru unleashed a flame dart, which hit a branch near Yamato's foot. The piece of wood burst into flames.

"All right, that's enough!" Daisuke stepped in front of Takeru. Ken grabbed Yamato's arm as the fighter reached for his sword. "It's time for you two to go to neutral corners." Taking Takeru's arm firmly, Daisuke guided Takeru back towards the forest. "It looks like you need to release some pent-up energy and I know just the place for that."

As Daisuke pulled Takeru out of sight, Ken turned Yamato around. "You really need a drink," said Ken. He escorted the unwilling Yamato towards the Aces and Eights Tavern and forcibly sat him down at a table. Ken then went over to order drinks.

Yamato sat there burning in anger. "I can't believe my own brother threw a flame dart at me."

"You were ready to draw your sword," returned Ken as he set down a mug of ale in front of Yamato. "I caught you reaching for it. Frankly, if it were me in Takeru's situation, I would have gone with a left hook to the jaw."

"What the hell are you talking about?"

"Did you even give Takeru a chance? You jumped all over him. But he's right." Ken took a swallow of ale. "We were starting to talk about it this morning. You've got to stop treating him like a little kid."

Morosely Yamato stared into his mug. "I worry about him."

"We all worry about each other. Daisuke would probably agree that you guys are like our family. But you need to back off."

"I just don't know how reliable his spells are, or how well he can protect himself with his dagger."

"He made it to Wizardmon and back by himself. From what I saw yesterday, he's getting damn good with that flame dart of his. If you're hovering over him and covering his back though, he's never going to learn how to protect himself." Ken took another swig of ale. "Drink up. You need to mellow out a bit."

Yamato picked up his mug and took a drink, then coughed. "Interesting stuff."

"You get used to it."

The fighter downed the rest of the mug. Ken took the mugs back to Gorimon for refills. Yamato looked around the tavern. A man sat at one end of the bar, apparently totally drunk. Two men in white aprons sat at another table playing cards. A nasty appearing Ogremon glared at him from the corner. A few other patrons sat at the bar or tables. "What you need to do tonight," said Ken as he returned with the mugs, "is get seriously drunk."

"What about Takeru?"

"He needs to deal with this in his own way. Daisuke is with him. Besides, I do understand how Takeru feels. Hanging around you and Daisuke can be rather frustrating."

Yamato looked at him with an uplifted eyebrow. "And what's that supposed to mean?"

"Takeru and I have different interests from you and Daisuke. The two of you start talking to someone about fighting, monsters, and tales of heroism, and you two get lost. Meanwhile Takeru and I stand there bored to death. You can't say you didn't feel the same way when Takeru was talking to Sorcerymon or Wizardmon. Didn't you manage to cut him off a few times?"

"I guess I did." Yamato downed the ale, then stared into the empty mug.

"Hey you!" said Gorimon. "You play that lute or is it just for decoration?"

"I play," returned Yamato, setting down the mug.

"Then let's see how good you are." Some of the patrons shouted their agreement. Yamato hesitated.

"I think he needs another ale to loosen up the fingers," returned Ken with a wry smile.

"Ken. . .," began Yamato. He was interrupted by Gorimon setting another mug on the table. Sensing defeat, Yamato took the lute off his shoulder, tuned it, and began to strum a tune.

---

Daisuke watched as the last Goblimon fell with two flame darts to the chest. "Man. . ." he thought. Aloud he said, "I don't think they want to play any more right now. Let's do a bit of scavenging, then take a break." Nodding, Takeru began to search the pockets of the nearest Goblimon body. Daisuke had brought Takeru to the Goblimon training grounds to work off his anger. Apparently it was working. Takeru's posture appeared more relaxed. Well, at least as relaxed as it could be when surrounded by Goblimon.

"Why did they suddenly stop?" asked Takeru.

"They come in waves. What I noticed before is they come through in a wave, then stop. If we leave and come back a while later, the bodies will be gone and a whole new group will attack. Kind of senseless really, but I guess it helps keep the Goblimon numbers low."

When the last of the corpses had been checked, Takeru and Daisuke hiked a little way away from the training ground. Though they remained wary, they took rations out of their packs and sat down to eat. Takeru remained silent for a little while, then said, "I'm sorry if I got a little carried away back there."

"Hey, those Goblimon asked for it. You'd think that they'd learn not to send them out like that when we come through."

"That's not what I meant."

"Oh." Daisuke took a bite of jerky. "Yeah, the flame dart was a little extreme. I would have just socked him."

"Gee, thanks."

"Well hey, I think he was getting a little overprotective too. But I can see his point. I mean, you're the only family he has. He just wants to make sure you stay safe."

"I'm tired of him breathing down my back. And I know you guys get bored sick when I start talking magic with people."

"You guys need to talk about this. But I mean talk. No throwing fireballs."

"Yeah." They finished the rest of their meal in silence. "Hey, want to go another round with the Goblimon?" Takeru asked.

"If you feel up to it."

"I think I need it."

"GOBLIMON BEWARE!" shouted Daisuke as he drew his sword and ran back to the Goblimon training grounds, Takeru close behind him.

---

"You really can't hold your liquor, can you?" said Ken as he half ushered, half dragged Yamato down the street towards the inn. As long as Yamato played, Gorimon provided drinks. A few listeners even tossed coins their way. Yamato really loosened up after a couple more drinks. But now he was barely able to stand. They passed the town entrance, where Deputymon was closing the gate and sliding the giant bar across. Ken managed to get Yamato inside the Hero's Tale Inn and, with Shameen's help, put the fighter/musician into a bed. "Have you seen Takeru and Daisuke?"

"I am sorry, but neither has been seen since this morning," returned Shameen.

"Okay. Thanks." Ken went to their room, hoping the others made it somewhere safe for the night.

---

The sun rose, lighting Hikari's Peace. "It may be cold, thought Daisuke as he sat up and stretched, "but I get a better night's sleep here than I do in the warm bed at the inn." He looked over at Takeru, who was still sound asleep under the fruit tree. The fruit glistened in the sunlight. Hungrily Daisuke stood and picked a piece. As he devoured his breakfast, he wondered if perhaps they should bring Yamato here and let the two brothers work out their differences. Something about this place seemed to make all anger go away. Thinking of Yamato made him grimace. Yamato would probably have a fit about the two of them being out all night.

"Hey Takeru!" he called. Daisuke shook Takeru's shoulder. "Come on, time to wake up." Takeru sat up with a start. He looked around in confusion. "Same dream?" asked Daisuke.

"Yeah."

"Next time you go to Wizardmon, ask him about it." Daisuke tossed Takeru a piece of fruit. "Come on. Let's see if we can get back to town before the others are awake."

Half asleep, eating his fruit and distracted by his dream, Takeru followed Daisuke out of Hikari's Peace. He didn't notice, however, that Daisuke turned in the wrong direction. At least until Daisuke said, "This doesn't look right."

There wasn't time for further assessment of their position as a snarling Fuugamon ran at them. Thinking quickly, Takeru cast the calm spell. "This should buy us a couple of minutes."

"Then let's get out of here. It's too early in the morning to tangle with anything that nasty." The Fuugamon resembled a red skinned Ogremon wearing a fur kilt and carrying a giant bone.

"No, wait." Quickly Takeru cast detect magic. "There's something in that cave. Something magic."

Daisuke drew his sword. "Then let's take care of this creep." He charged at the Fuugamon and sliced at it with his blade. It roared in anger and attacked. Takeru shook his head at Daisuke's impatience, then began throwing flame darts at the creature. Between the two of them they brought the Fuugamon crashing to the ground.

"I hope there are no more of those around," Takeru panted as he checked to make sure the Fuugamon was really dead.

"Hey, look at this!" Daisuke pulled a small, wooden chest out from under the creature. He tried to open it. "I guess we'll have to get Ken to pick the lock." Concentrating, Takeru cast open. The lock sprang open. They divided the coins inside evenly. "Now what?" Daisuke asked.

"Let's see what's inside the cave." Takeru led the way inside. Just past the entrance, they found a huge bear chained with a golden chain on its leg. It reared up. Daisuke raised his sword, but Takeru held him back. "Something's not right here." The young magic user cast detect magic again. The chain glowed, but only he could see it. "The chain is enchanted. There's more than meets the eye here." Cautiously Takeru took one of his rations out and tossed it to the bear. Hungrily it devoured the food. As an extra precaution, Takeru cast calm, then led Daisuke down the cave.

The back of the cave was strewn with bones. A Raremon sat on a ledge, apparently asleep. Takeru repeated the detect magic spell. "We need to get that key," he whispered, pointing to a gold key on a chain around the Raremon'' neck.

"Leave that to me," returned Daisuke. Before Takeru could stop at him, Daisuke attacked the Raremon. It awoke at once. Suddenly, it disappeared and reappeared on another ledge. Daisuke ran after him, but it disappeared, only to reappear and fire a sludge blast at the young fighter. Takeru reacted with a direct hit of a flame dart. Daisuke found himself unable to attack the teleporting Raremon fast enough. He prayed Takeru's flame darts were fast enough and strong enough to overcome this creature.

He needn't have feared. Several flame darts later, the creature was burned to a crisp. Only the key remained. "I guess I should have thought before I attacked," said Daisuke, scratching his head in embarrassment.

"I think that is a very good idea," returned Takeru as he pulled out a mana potion and downed it. A surge of power flowed through his body.

"Hot key, hot key!" exclaimed Daisuke as he tried to pick up the key with his bare fingers. Instead he picked it up with the edge of his cloak. "Hey, there's a chest back here."

"Move away," said Takeru. He cast open. The chest exploded, leaving a small pile of silver and gold coins. "I'd say this has been a rather profitable morning, wouldn't you?"

"Oh yeah." They divided the coins between themselves, then returned to the cave entrance. "Oh man, I forgot about the bear."

"Give me the key." The key had cooled slightly. Takeru boldly walked up to the bear and unlocked the shackle around its leg.

Suddenly, the form of the bear melted away, revealing a tall young man dressed in finery. The two heroes stared in amazement. Takeru recognized the face from one of the reward posters in the guild. The noble brushed himself off. "You have had the honor of meeting Baronet Barnard von Spielburg," he said in a haughty tone. "I am pleased you have broken our enchantment. Perhaps my father will reward you should you visit our castle." Before Takeru or Daisuke could say anything, the Baronet pulled an amulet out of his shirt. pressed a gemstone and disappeared.

"Wait!" shouted Daisuke.

"Too late. Probably some enchanted device to return him home in case of emergency." Takeru patted Daisuke on the back. "Come on. We're going to have some tale to tell when we find Yamato and Ken."

<to be continued>

Author's notes:

We are now at sort of a milestone here. The heroes have now tackled their first major hurdle in accomplishing their quest.