Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Digital Heart ❯ Prologue ( Prologue )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
“Sylvia, what the heck are you doing?!” he screamed. The cable car was rumbling into action around him, but the girl he was yelling at was standing outside, clutching her Digimon’s hand tightly. The Digimon wasn’t complaining.
“Please, Sylvia!” yelled one of the others, a female with pink and blond hair. “We have to go!”
“I’m not going,” Sylvia replied firmly. The Digimon nodded its head in agreement. Neither of them were smiling. “I can’t go back.”
“Whaddaya mean, you ‘can’t go back’? You’ve gotta come back, you can’t just live here!” cried a third, unhappiness etching his features.
“I’m sorry, Jimmy, I’m really sorry, you know I mean that!” she called over the sound of the engine backfiring.
“Sylvia, you’re too young to live on your own!” howled a fourth and final friend. “Especially not here!”
“I’ll be fine! I’ll send you emails, I promise!” Sylvia shouted, running after the cable car as it started forward. “Monmon’s with me, we’ll be just fine! Remember: I’m a DigiDestined!”
She slowed and stopped as the solid ground ended at the edge of a lake, and watched as the cable car disappeared into the sky.
“It’s okay to cry now, Sylvia,” Monmon said quietly. Sylvia only sighed.
“I really couldn’t go back, right?” she asked, doubt edging her voice.
“You had a choice,” Monmon said. “You chose to stay here. If it helps, consider what was waiting for you there, and what was keeping you here.”
Sylvia looked down at Monmon, tousling his green hair. “I’m staying here for you.”
“…And for other reasons,” came a voice from behind them, and she turned.
“Gennai.”
The young man stood a safe distance away, but his presence irked her still. “Sylvia.”
“What do you want?” she asked curtly. “I have a life to get on with.”
“Must you be so obvious about your dislike?” Gennai asked humorously. “After all, we’ll need to work together.”
“I’m thrilled.”
The humor left Gennai’s expression. “Sly, we’ve got trouble, and your purpose here is bigger than you realize.”
She glared at him, sighed in annoyance, and said, “fine. What do you want?”
“Glad you see it my way,” he responded, and he visibly relaxed. This bothered Sylvia more than anything; Gennai was never that upset.
“We really are in trouble, aren’t we?” she asked, the edge in her voice duller than it had been.
“We’re in deep.”
Monmon climbed up Sylvia’s wide orange pants and sweater to sit on her shoulders, monkey-hands gripping her hair, and he squeaked his concern.
Sylvia took Monmon’s foot in one hand, and he gripped her back in response, then she shoved her other hand into a large pocket. “All right. Let’s go.”