Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Digital Reflection ❯ Chapter 5: The False Soldiers ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Digital Reflection

By Wolf O'Donnell

Author's Note: Digimon is copyrighted by Bandai and Toei Animation. All other characters are probably copyrighted by me. I am copyrighted by Nintendo, but that has nothing to do with the story. This fanfic is set within a completely different dimension from any of the TV shows or comics and features a lot of death, so if you're squeamish about that sort of thing, leave now. Visit my website at http://strwlf.cjb.net. 'Nuff said. Read fic now please. (P.S this story is a bit slow to start, the Digimon might not appear until at least three chapters into the story).

* * * * *

Chapter 5: The False Soldiers
Colonel Jyou Oikawa looked out of a window in the Pentagon and out towards the rest of the city. Purple trenchcoat, red shirt, black tie, black trousers and shoes. His face was pale, his hair was black, short and styled neatly. With a sigh, he turned to face the projector screen behind him. In a few minutes time, Chairman Stephan Prince, would walk through into the room and he was to give a presentation to the Chairman, whom was the Chief Representative and Leader of the Pecunia Conglomerate. The door opened. He inhaled sharply.
A man in a business suit walked in. This man had brown hair, and was flanked by two soldiers. He stopped and motioned for the soldiers to leave him, and they did, exiting the room and closing the door behind them.
"Your Grace, Chairman Prince, sir, it is an honour to meet you!" greeted the Colonel.
If you compared this man to the adult Cody Hida from the last episode of Season Two, you would have noticed a lot of similarities between the two. In fact, were it not for the strange crooked smile on his face, and the cold, hardened look in his eyes, you wouldn't have been able to tell the two apart.
"Colonel Oikawa, I believe that you have some important thing to suggest to me?" he asked, taking a seat in the nearest available chair.
"Yes, Your Grace," replied Oikawa with a nod of his head. "I have managed to complete a prototype Mech unlike any that has ever been created before. It is a unique Mech, one that does not require a pilot." He saw a frown appear on Chairman Prince's face. "These Mechs are capable of taking any form, and will be programmed with information on attack manoeuvres and defensive strategies. It will calculate all its movements precisely, judging distances precisely without error. These Mechs will be devoid of human error and superior to any human-piloted Mech." He pressed a button and information appeared on the projector screen. "Response time, as you can see from this data, is faster than anything that any human is capable of."
"And how much will it cost to build these things?" asked Chairman Prince in an interested tone of voice.
The Colonel laughed at the question.
"That's the good news," he began. "These machines will be very cheap to make, so we can mass produce them. For every one that is destroyed, we can produce ten more." The smile on his face widened. "However, these machines will not be destroyed. Their bodies are like liquid metal. Blow the arm off, or a leg, and it will regenerate. Always, they will regenerate, unless the CPU is damaged."
"Regenerate?" exclaimed Chairman Prince with a pleased smile on his face. "These Mechs of yours intrigue me. Create some for me and we'll see how well they fare in battle situations. I am anxious to see the outcome of their use."

Colonel Mimi Takenawa looked out of the window, as she stood there in the office. Snow covered practically everything outside. Well, it was winter after all, and Moscow could get very cold during winter. She could feel that something was horribly amiss, but she couldn't quite put her finger on it. Perhaps it was the absence of His Excellency, Neil Kaplan. Mimi sighed, as she walked away from the window. She heard a knocking on the door. 'It's about time he arrived' she thought angrily.
"Come in," she called out sternly, pressing a button on the elaborate desk in front of her, before crossing her arms behind her back and waiting for the person to...
The door opened and someone with blue hair walked in. Funny how that colour was so popular these days. This man was dressed in a light blue labcoat. Imagine Henry from Digimon Tamers, only older. That's what this guy looked like.
"Col. Takenawa, you wanted to see me, ma'am?" he asked, as he walked in.
"Yes, Dr. Lee," replied Mimi in her usual cold and haughty tone of voice. "I wanted to know about your work's progress."
"I'm still waiting for parts to arrive from Aldershot," replied Dr. Lee, "but apart from that, the project is on schedule. I would imagine that Space Fortress Valen will be up and running in three days-time."
The look on Col. Takenawa's face was anything but pleased.
"His Excellency has expressed a great desire for the Space Fortress to be complete before 11th November," she said, glancing sideways at the small calender on her desk. That was two days away. "After all, we cannot unveil the Space Fortress on that day. It would be disrespectful to those soldiers that have fought and died before us."
"Quite," agreed Dr. Lee. "However, can His Excellency not wait until after Remberance Day?"
"I'm afraid that is not possible, Dr. Lee," replied Mimi, as she walked around the desk and towards the blue-haired scientist. "Space Fortress Valen cannot be delayed any longer. It has to be completed before 11th November."
"I will see what I can do," stated Dr. Lee coldly. "May I be excused now?"
Takenawa glared at him coldly, a gaze so cold it could have frozen even the hottest of lava.
"Of course," she replied. "Mustn't keep you from your work, after all." She watched as he walked up to the door and opened it, leaving. The door closed and she heard the click that signalled that the door had been locked. She sat down at her desk, looking at the papers that were scattered across it. Even in the Kremlin, she couldn't enjoy a moment's peace. She couldn't work. Her mind was occupied with thoughts of Marshal Kaplan. She cared for him, and it worried her that was he going all the way to the heart of Pecunia, in order to stop one of the Conglomerate's projects.
"Colonel Takenawa, Dr. Yamaki is here to see you."
The Colonel frowned. She hadn't summoned Yamaki. She reached out and pressed a button.
"Tell her to go away," she commanded, before letting go of the button and pressing another on the panel. There. If that hot-headed woman tried to burst in, she'd set off the alarm for the entire building. Yamaki would be surrounded by soldiers in an instant. A smile spread across Takenawa's face. That would be a sight she'd like to see- Yamaki being arrested and locked away.
The door suddenly shattered, splinters of wood scattering all over the place. Standing at the doorway were four people. One of them was Yamaki herself, while the other was Professor Shibumi.
"What is the meaning of this, Yamaki?" shouted Mimi angrily.
Kari and Josh were also with Dr. Yamaki, each of them grinning like Cheshire cats.
"I have come to demand an answer," replied Dr. Yamaki, as she walked past her creations and towards Colonel Takenawa. "Why was the funding for my project cancelled?"
Mimi sneered.
"It was deemed unnecessary," she replied abruptly. She never liked this woman and she always made it known. "There have been recent budget cuts lately, and your project was the least important."
A half-snarl spread across Yamaki's face. She didn't like the tone in Takenawa's voice. That snarl soon turned into a pleasant smile that masked the feelings she had within her.
"I see," she said. Turning her head to look at Kari and then Josh, she smiled. "Kari, Joshua, please show Colonel Takenawa how necessary my project really was."
"Sora, this is not the way to go," warned Shibumi, as he glanced at the two DigiAnthropes. "Let me leave now and leave Colonel Takenawa alone."
"But you're a friend, Koushiro," argued Dr. Yamaki, as she walked away from Takenawa. "I'm gathering together all our friends. You remember the Four of us, and how we worked on my DigiModification Project together before the UN and EVA split us apart?" She laughed bitterly. "Both Organisations thought we were too dangerous together. Well, I'll show them just how dangerous we four can be."
Colonel Takenawa quickly pulled a gun out from the drawer and took aim. The gun was smacked out of her grasp. She looked at Josh, only to see that he had become a Stingmon.
"I see you've created more DigiAnthropes, Yamaki," commented Mimi. "A pathetic excuse for a DigiAnthrope though, isn't he?"
"Pathetic?" exclaimed Joshua in disbelief. "I'll show you pathetic."
"Oh please do," taunted Takenawa, before she herself transformed. The human female soon became a Lillymon. "On second thoughts, I'd rather you didn't show me." She aimed and fired her Flower Cannon at the Stingmon, her attack sending the insect Digimon flying into the ground. "How dare you betray Kaplan like this? I'll make you wish you were never born!"
"Kari!" shouted Yamaki.
Kari fired a laser quickly at the Colonel. She smiled, as she watched Takenawa revert back to her human form and then slump on to the desk unconscious.

Bridgette sighed calmly, as she walked out of the building and into the coldness. She looked up and saw grey skies. 'Looks like it's about to rain' she thought miserably, 'again' she added, as an afterthought. Walking away from the building, she made her way across to the nearest hangar. Here, she was respected. Back at the new UN Headquarters, she was little more than a face, a name. 'When you love somebody, does anyone become this lonely?' she wondered mentally. Perhaps Reisz was the source of her angst at the moment, she mused quietly. 'Wait! What was that?' she wondered, as she spotted something out of the corner of her eye.

Takeru didn't like being in the restricive black uniforms of the new UN Organisation, which were exactly like the uniforms of the old EVA Organisation. Still, it was necessary if they were to blend in with the soldiers at the Aldershot Base.
"Would you keep up?" hissed Fumiko angrily, as she turned round to see Takeru trailing behind. "If you don't, we'll just leave you behind."
"Sorry," apologised Takeru, as he ran up to Fumiko. "Say, where are they anyway?"
Fumiko turned round and then a look of horror spread on her face. 'Damn it!' she thought angrily.
"Now look what you've made me do!" she snarled, grabbing him by the collar threateningly. "We've lost the others thanks to your..."
"You two!" shouted a voice that stopped them in the act of giving and receiving pain.
Quickly, Fumiko let go of Takeru and snapped to attention, leaving Takeru standing awkwardly. Kicking him subtlely in the shin got the correct response from him and he snapped to attention as well. 'About time' thought Fumiko with a sigh.
Lt. Bridgette Hoffman walked up to the two with a strange expression on her face.
"You two," she repeated, as she strode up to them, "what do you think you're doing out here? Do your superiors know that...?" She trailed off. Something wasn't right about them, but Bridgette couldn't quite put her finger on it. "Are you two new to this base?" she asked them. "I recognise all the soldiers here and I can't say I recognise you two."
"Yeah, we're new," replied Takeru without thinking.
That wasn't a way to address a superior office and Bridgette knew it. Something was wrong.
"Really?" she exclaimed, pretending to not notice how he had replied. "From which base?" she asked him.
"Kowloon," replied Fumiko quickly before Takeru could make matters worse.
"No soldiers have been transferred from Kowloon," said Bridgette, satisfied with the amount of knowledge she had obtained. "You're not from the UN Organisation, are you?" She reached for her gun, and quickly whipped it out of her holster, only to find that the female- Fumiko- had done the same thing. "You're pretty fast off the mark," she commented.
Fumiko smiled.
"Why thank you," she replied. Keeping her eyes on Lt. Hoffman, she said to Takeru, "Go find Kai and the others." Her attention fully on Bridgette, she didn't see that Takeru had already gone. "You're going to help me find exactly what I need."
"I don't think so," retorted Bridgette, as she fired. Her aim was perfect. Fumiko's gun was blown right out of her hands. "You however, have the right to remain silent."
With a loud and piercing battle cry, Fumiko lunged for Bridgette, grabbing the gun and aiming it away from her. The two females wrestled for control of the metallic weapon, not caring that the entire base was emptier than Daisuke's skull. There was a clattering sound as the gun fell to the tarmac and slid away from the two.
Seeing her chance, Fumiko quickly punched Bridgette in the face, before kicking the legs out from underneath the Lieutenant. She ran for the weapon, but fell. Pupils widened in horrific realisation, as she watched Bridgette leap for the gun. Leaping up to her feet, Fumiko had no idea that she was undergoing a transformation.
Picking the gun up, Bridgette turned round and gasped.
"What the...?" she exclaimed in pure disbelief. What she saw astonished her. It was a large anthropomorphic fox with multiple tails and yellow fur instead of red. A Yin-Yang symbol graced this creature's head and for the first time in her life, Bridgette realised she was up against a DigiAnthrope. "So, you're one of them too, huh?" she exclaimed, calmly, lowering her gun.
"What do you mean?" asked Fumiko, and suddenly found that her voice was slightly different. It sounded as if she were speaking with two voices simultaneously. She looked at herself and found that her uniform was torn by the transformation and that she was different. "What happened to me?" she exclaimed in disbelief.
A frown appeared on Bridgette's face.
"You mean, you transformed without knowing?" she asked Fumiko. "You're not a very good, DigiAnthrope, are you?" she asked. It was then that she transformed too, becoming what could best described as a WereGatomon. "I don't know who you really are, but you're not going past me."

To be continued...