Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Diminished Light: Chosens' Quest ❯ The Search ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Diminished Light: Chosens' Quest
Chapter 3
The Search
By
Sailor Janus
 
 
 
Tears flooded Catherine's eyes as she clung onto Takeru's arm. The approaching army slowly swarmed around the Chosen as they stood helpless to whatever actions the soldiers may afflict upon them.
 
Hikari bit her lip and grabbed Daisuke by the shoulders and shook him. “Daisuke, you've got to snap out of it. Please!”
 
“What's wrong with him?” Takeru stared at his two childhood friends in disbelief.
 
“I've never seen him that far gone,” Jyou murmured in agreement.
 
Hikari opened her mouth unsure of how to respond but instead stomped her foot in aggravation. “Damn it!” She covered her face with her hands as she rocked lightly on the balls of her feet.
 
Takeru stared at her in bewilderment. “Um, Hikari? Are you okay?”
 
“Now they've both lost it and we're going to be captured!” Catherine began babbling incoherently in French as her tears streamed more quickly down her pale face.
 
“Aw shit!” Takeru clutched his hair in his hands and pulled.
 
Jyou sank to the ground and muttered to himself. “This is perfect. Everyone is freaking out and now SO AM I!”
 
Hikari tore her hands from her face and drew a breath then sprinted towards the army with her hands held out in peace. “Don't attack! We mean no harm.”
 
“Hikari!” Takeru looked in horror as she knelt to the ground and placed her hands down as she bowed.
 
“Please.” She continued pleading, “We are travelers and seemed to have lost our way. We don't even possess any weapons for which to defend ourselves. We will do as you wish, just spare us our lives.”
 
Two of the soldiers exchanged glances as another stepped forward and drew his sword upon Hikari. “Do you speak the truth, girl?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“Then rise.” He lowered his weapon and motioned for his men to do the same then offered his hand to which she accepted. “You are quite a vision. I am called Ryverton, captain of the Dralytes of Dralyania.”
 
“Yagami Hikari.” She bowed and clasped her hands together. “You promise that you won't do us any harm, right?”
 
“Upon my duty as the captain of Dralyania, my lady.” His green eyes sparkled earnestly through the shining silver helmet of his armor.
 
Hikari frowned for a moment as though memorized then drew back, turning away from the man's partially hidden face. “Thank you, Ryverton.” She gestured towards the other Chosen as she waved for them. “It's okay. They're friendly.”
 
Takeru blinked and glanced towards Catherine before turning back to Hikari. “You are certain?”
 
“Yes, now quit being rude and come over here. All of you.” She flushed as she glanced at the captain in apology. “I'm sorry. They're a little tense.”
 
Ryverton chuckled. “It is quite alright. You can not be too cautious in this day and age, with bandits and their kind.”
 
“Um,” Takeru scratched his head then bowed. “I'm Takashi Takeru. It's uh, a pleasure to meet you, sir, captain. Sir Captain.”
 
“Catherine Beaumont.” The French girl curtsied meekly then skirted close to Takeru.
 
“Kido Jyou.” The eldest greeted respectfully.
 
Hikari spun around and paused, puzzled at the fact that rather than introducing himself, her boyfriend was staring at Ryverton with an unreadable expression on his face. She glanced at the captain and found that he too wore a similar expression. Unsure of what to do she rushed to their leader's side. “Daisuke. Wake up,” she shook him lightly and sighed when he jerked back and blinked in confusion at her.
 
“Hikari?”
 
“Stop staring and go introduce yourself. I think the Ryverton is honest when he said they would not harm us,” she whispered and frowned as she realized that the captain was still focused on Daisuke. “I hope you didn't insult him.”
 
“I didn't do anything!”
“You were gawking at him with a strange look on your face. I know that we can't fully know for sure what to expect but we have to at least find civilization otherwise we won't make it and we have some very dear friends that are counting on us.”
 
Daisuke gazed into Hikari's pleading brown eyes and finally agreed. “You have a good point. Alright, I'll play nice and make friends.” He grinned at her as he scratched the back of his head then turned and faced the Dralyania captain. “And I'm Motomiya Daisuke or just Daisuke. Thank you for not trying to kill us.”
 
Ryverton nodded his head as he shook with laughter. “You're quite welcome. Personally, I didn't feel up to the task of engaging in battle today.”
 
“That's good because we aren't exactly your pillaging and plundering type of people anyway.”
 
Takeru stepped forward and cleared his throat. “Can you by any chance take us to the nearest village or town?”
 
Jyou nodded enthusiastically. “We don't exactly have a way to do so ourselves without aimlessly wandering in circles and possible be attacked by uh, bandits or animals or whatever other bad things you may have here.”
 
“Please?” Catherine jumped in, clasping her hands together in an innocent gesture. “We're not asking for much.”
 
The captain cocked his head. “Just where have you five traveled from?”
 
“You wouldn't believe us if we told you,” Jyou muttered receiving a sharp elbow from Takeru to the ribs.
 
“At least you took the precautionary measures and are well stocked with healant, elemental crystals, and herbs, right?” When Ryverton received no reply he stared at the group dumfounded. “Are you mad traveling through here without supplies?”
 
“Eh, no one actually told us we'd need those things…” Takeru stammered then quickly added. “We're actually looking for some missing friends, they kind of disappeared and we're hoping we can find them….in the next town. I mean, that is where we were told they were last seen.”
 
Hikari smiled kindly as she lowered her head. “If it's too much trouble, then we'll find our way somehow. Thank you for your generosity.” She turned on her heel and moved to return to return to where the other Chosen stood a few paces ahead of the knights when Ryverton suddenly called out to her.
 
“Wait! I didn't deny that I would assist you and your troupe m'lady. I am just rather baffled that you are so poorly equipped, especially since bandits are the least of your problems in these woods. Come, I'll explain on the way.” The captain turned to his fellow Dralytes. “Men, let's gives these travelers a proper Dralyan escort.”
 
The knights cheered to the sheer surprise and delight of the Chosen and together they all marched off not knowing what they may next expect of the strange land that they and tumbled into.
 
*~*~ *~*
 
The once rough and choppy waves suddenly became calm and serene as the Chosen continued to stare in horror at what they swore were a pair of glowing eyes.
 
“Did you see that?” Miyako looked wild-eyed at the others. “Whatever that thing was laughed at us! It laughed in an evil tone! It-it was like how Ken did as the Digimon Kaiser, no offense, Ken.”
 
He shook his head as he blinked rapidly as though his brain were still trying to process what he just saw. “None taken. I hated that laugh too. Killed my throat after doing it for too long.”
 
Yamato angled a look at him. “Is that why you disappeared at times? Sore throat?”
 
“Almost had laryngitis once. Can't sound evil enough if you don't do the laugh though.”
“No, I can see what you mean. Just wouldn't be the same.” Yamato paused and cracked a grin. “So, did you practice?”
 
Ken frowned in confusion. “What?”
 
“The laugh. Did you, you know. Practice in the mirror or whatever?”
 
“Many times. Had to get just the right pitch otherwise I might sound like a dying cat or sick old lady. It's all in the laugh. It can make or break you as a villain.”
 
Tani gaped at the two young men. “That has got to be the strangest conversation I have ever heard.” She scowled and studied the genius closely as she folded her arms over her chest. “Wait. You were the Digimon Kaiser?”
 
Ken stepped back and shoved at his hair suddenly uncomfortable. “Um, yeah. It wasn't my best role, but it wasn't entirely my fault.” He lowered his head. “I still feel guilty about it which is why I really want to do all I can to save the Digital World and all the digimon.”
 
“Uh huh. At least you know what you did was wrong.” She put her hands to her face and sighed. “My sister Shina was ticked off at you. She wanted to rule the Digital World. Akina, Ami, and I thought she was nuts. Don't be surprised if she asks you for your autograph.”
 
“Stupid thing.” Koushiro smacked his D-Quad then shoved it back in its pouch. “It still won't give me any information about what we had just seen. The other digital devices were much more user friendly.”
 
“We just need to figure out how to work them,” Miyako said reassuringly. “Unfortunately Gennai didn't give us the luxury of an instruction manual.”
 
“It probably wouldn't do much good. I still don't know how to work all the functions on my speakers thanks to the crap on paper that came with them,” Yamato grumbled.
 
Tani straightened her bandana and cleared her throat. “I think we're losing track again.”
 
“Sorry, we haven't really gotten a chance to talk until now. Last time we saw each other wasn't under the best of terms.” The musician explained as he rubbed the back of his neck in embarrassment.
 
“Yep, we pretty much hated each others guts,” Koushiro said flatly. “But things are better now. At least I think they are.”
 
“They are!” Miyako grabbed Ken's arm and hugged it tightly. “It's enough to rot your teeth but we wouldn't have it any other way.”
 
Her boyfriend chuckled weakly as his face reddened. “Yeah, but we still aren't getting anywhere…”
 
“Right…” The lavender haired young woman clapped her hands together and began heading off. “We have more important things to do rather than just stand here and chat like a bunch of teenagers at the mall.”
 
“Um, Miyako?” Koushiro began as he pointed a finger up to make a statement. “You and Ken are still technically teenagers.”
 
“Oh! Right!” She slapped a hand to her forehead and sighed. “This year change thing is really going to give me a headache.”
 
Tani paused and looked back towards the water as suddenly a large wave rose and crashed upon her, knocking her off her feet as she screamed.
 
“Tani!” Yamato shouted in alarm as the others looked as well and raced towards her. A second wave appeared and seemed to swallow Koushiro whole before anyone could reach him.
 
“We have to save them!” Ken dove towards where Tani was still struggling against the water, barely visible in the violent currents.
 
Miyako spun around and fell backwards as another wave attacked her boyfriend. “Ken!” She scrambled to her feet and sprinted towards him, just barely able to brush his fingertips with her own before he too disappeared. “KEN!”
 
“Get out of there, Miyako!” Yamato rushed towards her, grabbed her arm and pulled her away.
 
“But I can't leave him!” Frantic tears flowed from her brown eyes and down her cheeks. “I have to help him. I have to.”
 
“Listen to me.” He shook her, trying to force her to obey. “We won't be any use to them if we are caught as well. We don't know what this world is like or what we are up against if we are against anything, but we can't lose our heads.”
 
Miyako looked up and squeezed her eyes closed. “Too late.”
 
Yamato gasped as he lifted his head, his blue eyes widen in disbelief as a giant wave scaled above and swept the two Chosen away.
 
*~*~*~*
 
“I don't like this place anymore!” Mimi backed away as she balled her hands into fists and held them near her mouth in fear. Michael stood protectively in front of her as they stared down at the pile of leaves where something or someone had tried to attack Rosa. The younger Chosen continued to grip Taichi's arm for dear life as he and Sora stared down at the leaves in bewilderment.
 
Two little pairs of eyes peered up at them then followed by one green frog-like head and purple tadpole-like one.
 
Mimi's brown eyes widened as she shoved past her boyfriend. “Gekomon? Otamamon?”
 
“Princess Mimi!” The two digimon wept happily at the sight of her, leaped out of the pile of leaves then hugged each other and cried some more.
 
“I thought I told you to just call me Mimi.” She laughed and knelt in front of them and hugged them. “I am happy to see you though.”
 
Rosa frowned then blushed in embarrassment. “It was only digimon? Ay caramba! How silly of me.”
 
Sora patted the girl on the shoulder. “You didn't know that, but this is great. We have actually found two digimon.”
 
“So have you two seen any other digimon around here?” Taichi smiled at the two whose eyes suddenly flooded in tears as they began sobbing once again.
 
“There, there. It's okay. You're safe now,” Mimi cooed soothingly. “Now tell us what happened.”
 
Gekomon sniffled as he brushed the tears from his eyes. “We don't know where anyone else is. We search and search but find no one. We're all alone!”
 
Otamamon nodded in agreement. “We can't even find Tononsama Gekomon, we looked everywhere but we can't find him.”
 
The two digimon started bawling again. “We're all alone!”
 
“Shh, you're not alone. You have us now.” Mimi smiled gently. “Now wipe away those tears, everything will be okay.”
 
“We're sorry, Princess Mimi! Err, Mimi.”
 
Taichi chuckled as the young woman stood up and sighed. “Hey, it's your fault for being a stuck up brat and telling them call you a princess.”
 
She narrowed her eyes and kicked him in the shin. “Shut up and stop rubbing it in, you jerk.”
 
Michael winced and shook his head in sympathy of the leader who had yelped in pain and was hopping on one foot. “Best not to anger her unless you're wearing soccer gear.”
 
“What was that?” Mimi spun around and glared at the American who rubbed the back of his head and laughed weakly.
 
“Uh, nothing, dear.”
 
Sora giggled and turned around then gasped at the sight of a sharp, deadly sword being thrust in her face. The others looked as well and froze as a group of what appeared to be soldiers or knights surrounded them.
 
“You there. Step away from those abominations,” a deep voice ordered sharply through a dark visor.
 
“Abominations? But they're just helpless digimon!”
 
“If you do not follow the orders I have given, you shall be arrested.”
 
Mimi stepped forward and pointed to the two fearful digital creatures. “But you don't understand. They are harmless. They're not even at the adult level-”
 
“Silence, girl! Do as I say or you'll be dragged off in shackles.”
 
Michael grabbed his girlfriend's arm and whispered in her ear. “Mimi, don't. We won't be any help if we all end up locked away in some prison like a bunch of criminals.”
 
“But Michael,” Mimi began softly, her voice wavering as she fought against her tears. “I can't just stand here and let those people do God knows what to them. They're my friends.”
 
“We'll find a way to save them.”
 
“But what if we're too late? What if they destroy them and it's all my fault because I didn't stand up for them?” She wiped at her face and looked at his blue-green eyes in determination. “I have to be strong.”
 
She pushed away from him and took a step forward. “Then you'll have to take me too.”
 
The knight glowered at her. “Foolish, woman.”
 
“Mimi!” Sora looked at her friend in shock and shook her head as she mouthed something to her. She glanced at Taichi who was whispering in Rosa's ear. The teenaged girl stared at him in horror them nodded. “We're sorry. Our friend is a little delusional. Probably bad tea or something,” she laughed weakly as she backed away. Taichi grabbed her shoulder and nodded.
 
“Right, she just forgot to take her medicine. I mean last time she was convinced that an alley cat had her grandmother's spirit. It wasn't until the cat tried to eat her the mouse that she was her uncle that she realized that it was all a big misunderstanding.” Taichi scratched the back of his head and laughed then nodded at Michael. “The cat was actually her great aunt Rei who was allergic to milk…. Um, that didn't go over very well either. In fact there she is now!” He point in the opposite direction then spun on his heel, scoped up the Gekomon as Mimi grabbed the Otamamon and the Chosen bolted through the woods as the knights gave chase.
 
*~*~*~*
 
The icy wind bit at the cuts and scratches left from the ice shards as the Chosen walked down a snow covered path to what they hoped would lead to a shelter.
 
“Ow, it stings!” Ami sniffled as she rubbed at her arms and frowned at the drying blood. “The ice really did cut me. I have maybe three cuts on my arms and two on my stomach alone.”
 
“Anything sharp can cut,” Iori explained as she rubbed at a cut on her forehead.
 
“Even paper,” Akina murmured. She touched her head lightly then stumbled and almost fell to the ground before Iori had caught her arm.
 
“Are you okay?”
 
She blinked blankly and slowly nodded. “I feel kind of odd… a bit dizzy, but I don't know why.”
 
Shina raised an eyebrow at her sister. “You're not going to hurl are you?”
 
“No. I don't think so.” Akina's knees gave out and she collapsed on the ground with a groan. “I don't know what is wrong with me.”
 
Wallace looked at the raven haired young woman in concern and knelt in front of her then turned to Shina. “She doesn't have any health issues, does she?”
 
“Not that I know of. Do you, Akina?” The violet haired young woman addressed her sister who shook her head.
 
“No, this has never happened to me before.”
 
Iori frowned at Akina in thought then scooped her up into his arms. “It'd be best if we keep moving then maybe we can find a doctor that might be able to determine what is wrong.”
 
Ami looked up at her dark haired sister with worried blue-green eyes. “You're going to be okay, right?”
 
Akina smiled gently and patted her head. “I should be fine.”
 
“You're not pregnant are, you?” Shina questioned bluntly, bewildering Wallace who nearly ran into a tree.
 
“What? No! Of course not!” Akina covered her reddening face as she squirmed in Iori's arms causing him to nearly drop her.
 
“Hey, stop it or we're going to fall.” The Kendo expert growled as he tripped and both he, and Akina crashed into Ami and Shina and landed on top of the pair.
 
“Ow. I'm going to be nothing but a big bruise by the time this is over.” The red head wiggled underneath her sister then hit her head and the ground in frustration.
 
Shina slammed her fist on a rock near her head. “This sucks.”
 
“Not as much as it does from down here.” A muffled voice grumbled from below her stomach.
 
“I was wondering why the ground wasn't so hard,” she said as she lifted herself to one side so the Chosen leader could breath.
 
“Get OFF ME!”
 
“I'd love to but SOMEONE needs to get off my back first.”
 
“Working on it,” Akina sighed as she tried to untangle her legs from the long skirt of her dress.
 
“I'm glad I wasn't wearing a mini skirt that would have been mortifying,” Ami said as Iori helped her to her feet. He said nothing and turned to help up the last sister who managed to pick herself up.
 
“Here.” Shina bent down and offered her hand to Wallace who blinked in confusion before accepting. “For saving me back there, you know.”
 
“Right.” He leapt up to his feet and bushed himself off. “So, should we try this again except this time without falling on each other?”
 
“I'm for it, what about you Akina? Akina?” Shina frowned at her sister who was staring intently at her hand.
 
The dark haired young woman looked up with puzzled green eyes that were edged with worry. “It-it's from the ice at the cave. I mean it's just a cut but…” She looked at the palm of her hand once more before turning it toward the others for their inspection.
 
“What the hell?” Shina grabbed her sister's hand so she could have a better look. Instead of a faint red gash from dried blood or even a bit more pronounced, the wound instead was lined in what appeared to be ice.
 
Iori scowled at the injury and ran his finger at it then jerked away. “That's impossible. It's not even cold but it resembles ice.”
 
Ami tugged at one of her curls as she rocked from one foot to the other. “Maybe it's just infected and she needs some medicine.”
 
“I've never seen anything like it before and no one else's cuts or scratches from the ice had reacted the same way.”
 
Wallace narrowed his brows as he shoved back his hair. “Well, what does it mean? She's not going to die or something, is she?”
 
Iori pursed his lips and glanced apologetically at Akina. “I'm not a doctor so I can't say for sure but now I know it will be best to find her one as soon as possible.”
 
Akina dropped her face in her hands and moaned. “Why do these things keep happening to me?”
 
Shina grabbed her by the shoulders and shook her lightly. “Hey, I'm not going to let you drop dead, okay? I know Tani isn't here to watch over you but that doesn't mean I'm going to just give up on you. You may be older by a few minutes, but we are still sisters and I will watch your ass if I damn well please.”
 
“You always did have a …way of putting things.”
 
“I wouldn't be Asukai Shina if I didn't.” She smirked as Akina rolled her eyes.
 
“Let's just go. I don't want to find out if my hand is going to fall off before I have a chance to have it looked at.”
 
“Might have to cut it off though.”
 
Akina's eyes widened in horror. “There is no way I'm going to cut off my hand! I need it!”
 
“But if it's an infection, it can spread to your other limbs-”
 
Wallace clapped a hand over Shina's mouth before she could continue. “I don't think you want to give her a nervous breakdown right now especially since we don't know if it's a big deal or not. So in the meantime let's go find a doctor.” He released Shina, patted her on the head and marched off.
 
“I really don't like him,” she muttered as she and the others followed.
 
*~*~*~*
 
Author's Notes: I have to say about 80% of this was unplanned. No, make that 98%. I really like how each place the groups are in is uniquely different. Now if OT doesn't kill my mood to write I should hopefully be able to get the next chapter out in two weeks.
 
I also got a new toy a few weeks ago, which I love even though I haven't really gotten to play with it. Anyway, I finally got a tablet and a drawing program for it so once I get the hang of it (got to get used to looking up instead of down while drawing) I should be able to some day put up some pictures of what the characters are supposed to look like. I have some rough sketches, which I colored with colored pencil but they aren't so good due to poor quality colored pencils. I do admit, out of the girls my favorite costume is probably a tie between Hikari and Rosa's. And for the guys, a tie between Daisuke and Taichi.
 
Well, I hope you enjoyed the newest installment. Until next time.