Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Diminished Light: Void's Assault ❯ New Surprises ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Diminished Light: Void's Assault
Chapter 17
New Surprises
By
Sailor Janus
 
 
The smoke grew thicker as the four Chosen Children raced furiously through the large cave. Flames licked at the walls, mocking their quarry with a promise of pain despite their desperation to flee from the danger.
 
“How can anything burn in here? There's no wood!” Rosa exclaimed as she trailed behind the group.
 
Yamato glanced over his shoulder and bit back a curse at the sight of the fire snaking towards them from the sides of the cavern. He clutched onto the still unconscious Sora and sped up. “Something strange is going on here.”
 
“We could have told you that a long time ago.” Taichi gritted his teeth as he lead his comrades away from the threat. “I don't know what happened to this place but it seems to have one major grudge against us.”
 
“Something had to have happened here, the question is what.” The green eyed teenaged boy said softly as he quickened his pace.
 
“I'd rather get out of here alive and consider that question later, Iori.” The blonde haired musician gestured towards his girlfriend with a concerned look in his eyes.
 
“I second that.” The brunette leader leapt over a rock, landing with a splash in the shallow stream. He paused a moment as if struck by an idea. “Everyone, in the water. The fire can't get to us in here.”
 
Yamato considered the order for a moment before joining his best friend. “So there really is a brain under all that hair.”
 
“Shut up.”
 
Iori and Rosa quickly jumped in the water as well, but didn't bother to comment on their elders' renewed bickering. Everyone continued jogging through the cave in the stream hoping to find a way out.
 
“I'm getting tired… I think my adrenaline rush is about dead,” the teenaged girl said lagging behind everyone else.
 
“You can't stop. Not until we're safe,” Iori argued.
 
“But I don't think I can go on much longer. My legs are starting to give out on me.” Rosa stumbled and fell to her knees in the cold water. Her brown eyes drooped a bit as she stared down at her submerged hands, bits of her hair clung to her face while she heavily panted.
 
“Rosa.” The Kendo expert narrowed his brow at her then clenched his jaw as he sprint back to her. He looked at her a moment then knelt down. “Jump on my back. I'll carry you.”
 
“Iori…” Her eyes widened in bewilderment at the offer, but she obliged, wrapping her arms gently around his neck as she leaned into his back.
 
“Easy.” He stood up slowly as he lifted her legs around his hips and paused a moment to adjust to the added weight before starting off after the others.
 
The girl bit her lip a moment as if nervous then hesitantly said, “Thank you, Iori.”
 
He paused a moment and nodded. “It wouldn't be right to leave you behind. I don't want to leave anyone behind,” he added softly.
 
She frowned at his reply but said nothing as they rejoined the group.
 
The smoke increased to a blinding haze that seemed to literally take their breath away as the boys continued on the race for their lives. When escape seemed futile, a welcoming sensation brushed against their sweaty faces.
 
“It's a breeze. It has to have come from outside of the cave! Come on,” Taichi with renewed energy bolted through the stream, a large grin on his soot covered face.
 
“Wait up, Taichi!” Yamato yelled as he and Iori hurried after their overly enthusiastic leader.
 
“I CAN SEE TREES! WE'RE HOME FREE!”
 
The other two boys came to a stop once they had exited the simmering hot cave, grateful to be greeted by a cool breeze that playfully ruffled their hair in the quickly dimming sky. “We're back in the forest,” Iori murmured.
 
“And the fire is still following us!” Rosa shrieked as she pointed behind them. The three young men spun around and stared in horror at the sight of the flames slowly stalking them.
 
“Shit, the forest is going to go up like kindling.” The musician cursed loudly, shifting Sora in his arms.
 
“I'm really beginning to hate the Digital World,” Taichi grumbled.
 
Frantically they began the race once again winding around trees, bushes, and any other form of plant life, saddened by the fate it was about to meet. Soon the flames wove a deadly circle around the Chosen Children, trapping them in ring of fire. A scream from above made the group jump in shock as a bolt of lightning fell from the sky, striking a few feet from where Yamato stood, knocking the young man off his feet.
 
“YAMATO!” Taichi shouted when suddenly a large object crashed down on top of him, forcing the young man to his back. He looked up in a daze, groaning in pain as several cool droplets landed on his face. His eyes narrowed in confusion at the sight of dark brown eyes staring at him in shock. He blinked as if registering the person's face and intense gaze. “T-T-Tani?”
 
The young woman gasped in surprise. “Taichi? Yagami Taichi? Is that you?”
 
“T-T-Tani…. Y-You…Where….H-How…..” Taichi continued to stutter completely flabbergasted by the slim, brunette young woman clad in a pair of shorts, an off the shoulder v-neck short sleeved shirt over a scoop necked tank top, a short pair of gloves, and sneakers all in shades of gray. What severely caught his attention however was the clear tag hanging from her slender neck. “You-You're…. A Chosen?”
 
“Seems that way. Also seems you two know each other,” Yamato said quietly as he approached his best friend. “Care to explain, Taichi?”
 
“Huh?” The Chosen leader glanced up and blinked at the blonde as though he had never seen him before. “Oh! You mean her. She-she is…. well...”
 
“Asukai Tani,” the newcomer replied pleasantly with a bow of her head.
 
Iori looked up in satisfaction as the rain poured down harder, extinguishing the building inferno. “At least the fire won't be such an issue anymore.”
 
“I'm fine with that,” Rosa smiled as Iori put her down.
 
Yamato glanced down at Taichi and Tani then smirked slightly at the fact that she still had not moved from her place on his stomach. “So this must be the girl that you were gaga over.”
 
“WHAT?!” Taichi quickly scrambled up, completely forgetting that the young woman had been draped over him, promptly dumping her on the muddy ground.
 
“Taichi!” She glowered up at him then stood up and dusted herself off turning towards the blonde haired young man. “What makes you say that?”
 
“Just an assumption. Name's Ishida Yamato by the way.”
 
Tani smiled at the blonde in greeting. “It's nice to meet you.” She paused then gestured towards the red haired young woman in his arms. “Is she okay?”
 
Yamato blinked then glanced down. “Oh, you mean Sora. I-I think so. She's been out for a while but…” He drew a breath and looked from the others and back to Tani and the red head. “She's my girlfriend, Takenouchi Sora.”
 
Abruptly at the mentioning of her name, the young woman's eyes fluttered open as she shifted in the arms of the musician. “Where-where am I?” She made a face at the brunette haired girl with thick shoulder length hair a few shades darker than Taichi's. “Who are you?”
 
“I'm Asukai Tani,” the brown haired girl replied taking a step back awkwardly.
 
“You're a Chosen Child?” Sora slid out of her boyfriend's arms and glanced from her tag to the other girl's noting that they were exactly the same.
 
“I….”
 
“I'm Rosa Sanchez or Sanchez Rosa as you would say,” the Mexican girl piped in then pointed to the silent teenaged boy. “And he's Hida Iori.”
 
The boy nodded. “How did you get here?”
 
Yamato glanced down and made a face at a glimmering stone lying in the middle of the scorched earth left over from the bolt of lightning. He slowly bent down and picked up the object then shoved it in his pocket. The rain poured down upon them harder as they studied the new girl with interest and puzzlement. “And how can you be a Chosen?”
 
Tani clenched her hands into fists and looked helplessly at Taichi who was still staring at her. “I-I…” She shook her head furiously and spun on her heel to run, but found herself held back by Yamato. “Let go of me!”
 
“I believe you have some explaining to do.” The blonde tightened his grip on her wrist. “Now is as good a time as any for a long talk.”
 
The young woman looked helplessly at Taichi who made no move to help her then bowed her head in dejection. “There is a cave a little ways from here. It's small but it'll at least get us out of this rain.”
 
“Good, then you can talk as you lead us there.”
 
Tani sighed and pushed a mass of thick dark hair from her face then started off. “I'll talk, but I'll guarantee that you won't like it one bit. Especially you, Taichi.”
 
*~*~*~*
 
The five Chosen sped through the large winding cave to escape from the approaching lava. They took a sharp turn and paused at the sight of glowing iridescent stone covering the entire small cavern.
 
“This…this wasn't here before,” Mimi gasped as she approached the walls. She brushed her hand against the cool, smooth surface and stepped back in surprise at its texture. “It's like pearl or something.”
 
“It's very pretty,” Catherine whispered. “I've never seen anything like it.”
 
Takeru frowned at the walls and shook his head. “Neither have I and I've been to the Digital World many times. Everything in fact is different.”
 
“Do you suppose that the world could have been rewritten?” Koushiro inquired to no one in particular. “It is made of data after all.”
 
“At this point, I believe anything is possible,” Michael said quietly. He narrowed his blue eyes at the walls and shook his head. “We must have turned down a different cavern. Hopefully this one will lead us out of danger.”
 
“And maybe we can find a way back to the others or home,” his girlfriend chimed as they headed deeper into the cavern.
 
Takeru turned to follow them, but something on the far glimmering wall caught his eye. He softly walked towards it and peered down at the small stone embedded in the stone with the symbol of Hope etched on its surface. Carefully the teen pried it away from the wall and pocketed the item.
 
“Takeru? Are you coming?” Mimi's voice echoed from afar.
 
“Yeah. I'll be right there.” Quickly he trotted after his friends, a smile now present on his face knowing that he had finally found his Power Stone.
 
“Takeru?” Catherine glanced up at him in wonder as he rejoined the group. The boy shrugged and continued past her. The French girl sighed miserably over being ignored by the one she loved and came to a stop, not wanting to continue the search any further. He's never going to forgive me. He hates me. Her blue eyes filled with tears as she wrapped her arms around herself and lowered her head softly crying. Suddenly a shot of silver light flashed out of the corner of her watery eyes. Catherine spun around and stared in bewilderment at a tiny glowing stone on the wall.
 
Curious, she walked towards it and brushed her tears away at the sight of a crescent moon partly covered by a fluffy cloud. Her mouth fell open at the small plain yet beautiful object that seemed to beckon her to take it. Without a single thought against it, Catherine plucked the gray stone from the wall and decided to go find the others.
 
*~*~*~*
 
“Where's Catherine?” The brunette haired young woman glared angrily at Takeru.
 
“Do I look like I'm her keeper?” He met her icy gaze with one of his own.
 
“You have been rude to her ever since we got here with a few minor exceptions. What happened to the Takeru we used to know?”
 
The blonde teen however turned away. “You wouldn't understand.”
 
“Try me.”
 
“And it's NONE of your damn business so leave me the hell alone!”
 
Mimi narrowed her brown eyes coolly at the writer and took a threatening step towards him. “If anything happens to her it will eat you up inside so badly you'll wish you could die.”
 
“Mimi, That's enough,” Michael warned grabbing her by the shoulder. “We better look for Catherine. There is no telling what could happen to her in here.”
 
The young woman stepped back without another word and stomped off in the opposite direction. Her boyfriend shook his head at Takeru, muttered something under his breath, and trailed after the irate brunette.
 
Takeru turned to Koushiro who was rummaging in his bag with little interest over the previous argument. “What the hell is her problem?”
 
The red head pulled out a flashlight and flicked it on, shining its beam in the infuriated teen's face. “You apparently.” He zipped up his bag and pulled it on then he too walked away taking the path the others had chosen leaving Takeru by himself.
 
“Damn it,” the teenaged Chosen cursed then stormed off in the opposite direction of the others.
 
*~*~*~*
 
Catherine wandered further down the cavern unaware that the path she had taken was not the same as her comrades. She clasped her hands together nervously and scanned her surroundings. The light cast off the iridescent walls was only a tiny shimmer in the growing darkness. “Hello?”
The French girl paused in fear then pulled off her bag in search of a flashlight. A tiny smile appeared on her lips at the sight of an old gray one that she usually kept for emergencies. Quickly she turned it on, shining a bright light in the room that flickered briefly before dying completely.
 
Oh no. I forgot to change the batteries and I don't think I have any spares in my bag. Nevertheless she frantically began searching her bag but could find none. Catherine whimpered in displeasure then sealed her backpack. She pulled it back over her shoulders and cautiously made her way down the cool corridor of the cave. It was now highly evident that she had been separated from the others, the mere acknowledgement of that thought made her even more afraid. She wasn't used to going on adventures. She wasn't cut out for them. For most of her life, she had been sheltered in some sort of building at all times. `Ladies don't run around like some sort of wild animals' her mother had told her rather often. So instead of playing outside with other children, she was inside practicing the piano or ballet.
 
Tears flooded her eyes once again as she recalled how many times she tried to beg her mother to allow her to play outside with the other children, but the woman always refused. It was even worse when Catherine had met Floramon. She had to keep the digimon a secret from her overprotective mother but even that secret had been revealed. The socialite loathed the plant digimon so much that she wanted it destroyed. This left Catherine only one option, to take Floramon to her grandfather's, he was the only one that seemed even the least bit understanding to the fact that no matter what, she was still a child and a child had to learn and grow. So the only time she actually got to interact with her partner was at her grandfather's. However, those times were rare because her mother feared he was going to be a bad influence on her. The final straw of course was Takeru. Her mother had her eyes set on the son of a diplomat for her only daughter, not a blonde haired Japanese boy who was going to school to be writer. Once she had gotten wind of Takeru, Catherine was banded from the computer and could never speak to him again or give him a simple reason why.
 
“TAKERU!” The girl fell to her knees on the hard stone floor and sobbed even harder from fear and heartache.
 
“What's wrong with you?” A voice questioned from the shadows.
 
Catherine spun around then immediately froze as she screamed.
 
*~*~*~*
 
The waves splashed gently against the shore as the sun set in the distance. Curious blue-green eyes studied a still male figure sprawled out on the sand, his bluish hair clinging to the sides of his face and against his glasses.
 
The young woman brushed a lock of curly red hair from her eyes and moved closer. She bit her lip and a light blush covered her pale cheeks as the strange young man stirred slightly. A gasp escaped her throat as he lifted his head and looked straight at her.
 
“Who-who are you?” He coughed up some salt water and gathered himself to a sitting position. Cautiously he glanced around but found no trace of his friends. “Where are the others?”
 
“The others?”
 
Jyou looked up and adjusted his glasses, trying to get a better look at his new companion. She was pretty with curly red hair pulled back into two pigtails wearing a gray sundress that was tied at the shoulders in two large bows. On her hands was a small pair of gloves. She also wore thin knee high socks and dress shoes. What was most striking however was the clear tag, which hung from her neck. “You-you're a Chosen Child?”
 
The girl took a step back and gripped the skirt of her dress nervously. “Ye-yes. Who are you?”
 
“Kido Jyou. I'm also a Chosen Child.” He stood up and dusted off the sand from his pants. “Who are you?”
 
“Asukai Ami.” She tugged at one of her curls and scanned the area carefully. “Did you say that there are others here?”
 
“Yes.” The med student replied cleaning his glasses off. “Have you seen them?”
 
Ami bit her lip and turned on her heel, dropping her head. “I haven't seen anyone in three years.”
 
“Three years?” Jyou stammered in shock at the girl. “Wait, you've been here for THREE YEARS?”
 
“Yes!” Without warning she burst into a fit of tears. “And I want to go home!” She sobbed louder, and soon began wailing in sheer angst. “I HATE IT HERE!”
 
“Three years…” The young man could hardly believe his ears. Three years of being trapped in the Digital World? How could anyone even survive? It was completely impossible. “Don't cry…um, how did you get here?”
 
Ami sniffled and wiped at her eyes. “I-I don't want to tell you. It would only make things worse…”
 
“How could things get any worse? We're stuck here.”
 
“Just believe me,” she snapped then sighed as she started off in the opposite direction. “Come on. It's getting dark.”
 
Jyou silently nodded as he grabbed his bag and followed Ami away from the beach.
 
*~*~*~*
 
A warm campfire crackled sharply in front of the three weather-beaten Chosen as they stared at its dancing flames. The trio was tired and emotional drained as they glumly ate their ramen. More than anything they wanted to awake in their warm beds only to find out that it had only been a bad dream, but they knew they weren't that lucky.
 
Miyako put her empty cup down and shook her head. “It's been over an hour.”
 
“Miya,” Ken said softly from her side.
 
She looked at him then climbed to her feet. “We should be looking for him. He could be injured if not dead.”
 
“We aren't going to be of any help wandering around in the dark. We have to wait until morning.”
 
“I don't want to wait!” The lavender haired girl spun on her heel and began stalking off.
 
Ken quickly jumped to his feet and grabbed her arm. “Listen to me. We have to stay put. Remember what happened last time we went charging out in the dead of night? Daisuke and Takeru fell in a hole and could have broken their necks, Hikari ran into some sort of poisonous plant that gave her a bad rash for almost a month, and you and I got lost so badly that we ended up going for circles for hours and couldn't find Iori until sun up.”
 
Miyako sighed and yanked her arm out of the boy's grasp before sinking down to the ground. She pulled her knees to her chest and rested her chin on top of them. “I remember. I just wish none of this ever happened.”
 
Wallace peered at the couple then stood up and joined them. “Well, until we find a genie that can grant wishes or a time machine, I think we're kind of stuck here.”
 
“Jyou will be okay. He's stronger than we give him credit for,” the former Digimon Kaiser said reassuringly as he knelt down next to his girlfriend.
 
“I'd just feel better if we had found him. No one has died here yet, and I don't want that change,” Miyako whispered, her brown eyes wide and fearful.
 
“We'll find him,” the American shrugged. “Just not now. I do have to agree with Kenny though. The best thing we can do is set up camp and wait until morning.”
 
“Alright. I guess rest may improve our ability some. Let's set things up.” The lone female rose to her feet as the two boys trailed after her to prepare for a long night.
 
*~*~*~*
 
Hikari tightened her grip on Daisuke's hand as they sprinted towards the avalanche while the burning lava slowly trailed them. She was afraid of the consequences and possible danger of running straight for the crashing wave of snow, but knew they had no other choice.
 
He glanced at the brunette and clenched his hand around hers firmly, as if determined not to lose her. “Don't let go, Hikari.” The boy's voice cracked slightly losing some conviction, allowing his fear to shine through. “I promise I won't either.”
 
“I won't.” Tears flooded her eyes as they nearer the avalanche. She couldn't help but be afraid. It was very likely that this could be their last moment ever. She would never know what happened to her brother or the others. It would be the end.
 
Suddenly a white wave crashed down up the two teens, enveloping them under a large blanket of snow. The impact was so strong that it threatened to separate the Chosen from each other, tossing them backwards a few feet as another large mass of snow was thrown on top of them.
 
“HIKARI!”
 
The girl gasped loudly, swallowing a mouthful of snow as they went down. Unfortunately, so much of her body felt numb due to shock from the abrupt temperature change that she could no longer tell if she was still holding Daisuke's hand or not. All she knew was that she was very extremely cold and surrounded by white. I can't die. Not like this. It's not fair. Hikari closed her eyes as warm tears splashed down her cheeks and a blurry vision entered her mind.
 
 
“Hey Hikari, watch this!” The spiky haired teen grinned from the top of the snow-covered hill. His standard goggles were resting on a dark blue wool ski cap and a pair of special goggles made for snowboarding, were attached to his face. The teenaged boy dropped the board to the ground and took off down the slope.
 
“He has really gotten the hang of it,” a blonde teenaged boy said, impressed by their friend's ability and graceful yet playful movements.
 
“Yeah.” She whispered softly. The smile however disappeared at the sight of a tree that judging by the direction of the sun, was unseen by their snowboarding friend. Without a second thought, the girl raced out towards the slope, in an attempt to prevent what could have the potential to be a tragic accident. “DAISUKE!”
 
The teen turned towards her just in time to see the tree and rather than hit it head on, pivoted as much as he could, but unfortunately he wasn't fast enough and crashed into it at an angle instead.
 
 
Hikari blinked as the memory faded. She was beginning to feel rather lightheaded. What was she supposed to do right after getting buried under snow? She mentally smacked herself as the answer came to her as clear as day; make an air pocket in three seconds before the snow gets compacted.
 
I really am going to die. I'm never going to see my brother again or my parents or… Her mind felt dull as she lay in the snow. There was no telling how many pounds of snow were on top of her. She closed her eyes and softly cried, wishing for death to hurry up and claim her already.
 
Suddenly she jerked in shock as a warm sensation slid over her hand, as if something or someone was rubbing it. The caress soon became a pat followed by a shake. Was someone calling her name? She couldn't tell. She felt too cloudy to comprehend anything. The sensation soon drifted towards her back and last resting at her waist, tightening as it came to a stop.
 
Hikari cried out in pain as a force lifted her up, freeing her from the icy coffin.
 
“Hikari? Are you okay? Say something!” Daisuke looked at her wildly with concerned brown eyes. Bits of ice clung to his hair, giving it an odd frosted appearance as he sat cradling her to his chest.
 
The frozen teenaged girl opened her eyes and smiled slightly in relief at seeing a friendly face. She trembled violently as she tucked her head under his chin, wrapping her arms around herself in an attempt to warm back up. A broken whimper escaped her throat between deep gasping breaths of air.
 
Her companion winced at the girl in his arms and gently smoothed the flakes of snow from her drenched locks. “It's okay,” he murmured. “It's going to be okay.”
 
Hikari did not know how he found her or where exactly they were. All she knew was that she was no longer going to suffocate in a tomb of snow and for that she was glad. “How did… you….”
 
“Somehow we ended up tossed near the surface and I managed to dig us out.” He gave the girl a wryly grin. “I told you I wouldn't let go.”
 
Hikari laughed lightly but it quickly became a sob as she began crying once again.
 
Daisuke hugged her tighter, rocking slightly as he stroked her back. He didn't know what to say instead he tried comforting her the best he could. He knew she was afraid, but so was he. No matter what however, he was determined to protect her at all costs. As Hikari's sobbing softened he glanced up and blinked in bewilderment. “What the hell?”
 
Hikari too looked up and let out a startled gasp. “What is going on here? What is this place?”
 
“I-I don't know.”
 
The snow that had previously blanketed everything within a wide perimeter had mysteriously disappeared revealing a vast mountain with many caverns. Below was a deep valley filled with dead trees. Where the lava once had been was nothing more than giant clumps of rock dusted with ash.
 
The two teens teen hesitantly rose to their feet, still in complete awe over what should have been a life-threatening place, now seemed oddly serene.
 
Daisuke scratched his head in confusion at the scenery. “This is weird,” he muttered as Hikari gripped onto his other arm. “It's as if there was never any snow here to begin with!”
 
“It's gotten really warm out here. Too warm.” She refocused her gaze on her friend and found that any traces of snow had melted away.
 
The boy sniffed the air and made a face. He causally turned around then swore. The strange dead valley had somehow been ignited and now burned with brilliant orange flames that danced and swayed. The fire moved its way up the mountain and somehow continued burning just as actively as it did in the valley. “Shit! Now everything is on fire!”
 
“What do we do now?”
 
Daisuke grabbed Hikari's hand tightly. “What we seem to do best around here. RUN!” Frantically they took off once again with only one hope, to stay alive.
 
*~*~*~*
Author's Notes: I'm so sorry that this is rather later than usual. The holidays really weighed a lot on me and I had a lot more on my plate than I expected. But it all turned out for the best. Hopefully I can get back into the swing of writing.
 
I think the only section I had an especially hard time with was Daisuke and Hikari. That all actually popped into my head yesterday. And then of course is Tani and Ami. There will be more explanations as to who these two are and what they are hiding…. Yes they are created characters with their own distinct personalities and history, which will be revealed at a rather slow pace since it seems all the characters have some sort of secret concerning their pasts. When they chose to let it out… I have no clue. But they will eventually….I think.
 
I hope you enjoyed my newest chapter and don't forget to review.