Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Donkey Madness ❯ Disturbance ~ Treachery and Fidelity ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Note: "Togemogumon," as far as I can tell, was named after a porcupine. "Toge" means "spine" or "needle" and "mogu" is the word for "mole."
Started: January 28, 2001
Finished: February 4, 2001

Part 13:
Disturbance ~ Treachery and Fidelity

The new digimon stood on four legs, huge in comparison to the children surrounding it. Ice blue quills coated the digimon's back, glistening in the light with no known source. Black armor was visible on the head and legs of the creature, the symbol of Friendship on the digimon's front left paw. Utagaumon stepped back, frowning at the newly-transformed Wormmon.

". . . Impressive," he commented. "However, I am not frightened by an armored digimon."

"You should be!" Davis Motomiya growled angrily.

Utagaumon shot the boy a glare, flipping behind Davis and T.K. Takaishi to size up his opponent carefully. The two boys warily backed towards their friends, eyes always on the shape-changing digimon. Ken Ichijouji shuddered as Kari Kamiya and Yolei Inoue propped him up, abruptly becoming dead weight on their shoulders as his legs gave out from under him.

"Ken-chan!" Togemogumon jerked his head to look at his sick partner. "Are you all right?"

"Watch out!!" The scream came from Cody Hida.

A hail of dark spheres shot through the air, and Togemogumon barely had enough time to intercept the projectiles with his body before they exploded. He shook the attack off, his quills taking in most of the damage, and glared at his opponent. Utagaumon waved his arm in an arc.

"Bomb Storm!"

Togemogumon tensed and allowed the black explosives to smash into him again, determined to protect the Digidestined behind him. "Is that all you're going to do?" Utagaumon demanded, still frowning at the larger digimon. "I'm still waiting for your first attack!" When Ken's digimon remained silent, the Game Lord shrugged. "Fine; if you're happy with being killed slowly, I won't stop my assault. Bomb Storm!"

"Crystal Guard!"

Utagaumon jerked backwards at the attack, watching a shimmering shield abruptly erect itself in front of his enemy and send his attack right back at him. He covered his face with his arms as the explosions rained down, stinging his body and hurting his ears. However, the reflected spell did nothing to his attitude; there was still a mixture of anger and impatience behind those sunglasses.

"So how do we get through this level?" Kari asked of her friends while Utagaumon and Togemogumon fought. "Do we have to destroy Utagaumon?"

"I wouldn't be surprised," Cody murmured. "He's been our enemy throughout this whole level."

"What's that supposed to mean, Cody. . .?" Yolei blinked at her young friend.

Cody bowed his head as he replied. ". . . Utagaumon's the one that created that mirror test."

Yolei, Kari, and Ken stared at young boy, eyes slowly widening as his words registered. T.K.'s hands clenched into fists and he shook his head. "Don't worry about that now! We need to worry about this battle!"

Ken grimly nodded, again working his way to stand on both feet. "Togemogumon, attack!"

The large porcupine digimon tried to look back at his partner, but was unable due to the fact that he had to concentrate on the crystal shield he had created. "Protecting you is my top priority!"

Surprisingly, Davis was the first to retort. "How can you protect Ken if you're killed here? We'll protect Ken; take Utagaumon out!"

Togemogumon hesitated for only a moment, then flung himself at Utagaumon. The shape-shifting digimon leapt out of the way, throwing out another array of bombs. This time, however, his opponent was prepared.

"Hail Machinegun!"

Before the children's eyes, the quills on Togemogumon's back began to glow a brilliant, dark blue color. Thousands of tiny spines shot out at Utagaumon, pummeling him into the wall with no escape. A painful scream was wretched from his throat, and the kids uneasily looked from the digimon to the Digimon Emperor. Ken simply looked on, his face once again unreadable to the Digidestined.

After the horrible barrage, Utagaumon sank to the ground, bloody and clearly stunned by the attack. And then, to the shock of the Digidestined, he began to laugh.

"So this is how you defeated Uragirumon. . . I can't help but admit that your power is formidable. Don't get cocky, though. . . I'll be back."

Then he was gone, taken away in a pillar of red light.

Everyone visibly relaxed with the disappearance of their enemy, Ken sinking to the ground again and coughing loudly. Yolei was immediately next to him, holding him still as his shoulders shook. "Take it easy . . . you're still not well." Pulling a few locks of hair from her face, Yolei looked back at her friends. "So are we done now? Is this test done yet?" Her eyes fell back to Ken. "Ken's dehydrating from that poison. . ."

Ken tried to wave the girl off, wiping at the red liquid dripping down his face. "I'll be fine. . ."

"Says you," snorted Davis. He and T.K. pulled Ken up, not allowing the dark-haired boy to stand on his own feet. "Makusumon, you jerk!! I know you're watching this whole thing! Is this test over yet!?"

"Very predictable approach, Digidestined," remarked Makusumon dryly, his voice flooding the room. "Yes, this level is over. You have done . . . well, considering your obstacles. You deserve your next prize." A flash of light blinded the Digidestined for a moment, and then died as white vase was presented to them, plain in all forms of the word. "The Pearl Vase is for the Digidestined of Light." Kari hesitantly stepped forward, taking the small vase into her arms carefully as the others looked on. "Your exit is behind you. Rest yourselves."

"That's what we plan to do," Cody murmured, nodding. He looked over at Togemogumon. "Aren't you going to revert back?"

Togemogumon sighed and then reverted back to Wormmon, the transfused power returning to Ken's digivice and Davis' D-terminal. Cody picked up at the digimon and followed after his friends, who had already began their trek to the new exit that had been presented to them.

* * * * *

Ken refused to rest once the Digidestined had found their campsite, struggling out of Davis and T.K.'s arms and managing to walk away from them. "Ken, where do you think you're going?" Kari's voice was stern as she watched the boy start away from the site. "You're not well yet."

The eleven-year old stopped, then turned to look at his companions with that undying haughtiness. "Despite being an evil Digimon Emperor, I do happen to care about my personal hygiene. I'm going down to the river to take a bath." He watched as Yolei and Kari's eyes widened, knowing that they were probably dissecting that bit of information in many different ways. Hormones were funny in that way. ". . . Any of you have a problem with that?"

Davis raised his hand. "I've got a question: Are you trying to embarrass 'em or what?" He gestured to the two blushing girls.

". . . For that remark, Davis, I'm making you my honor guard." Ken pointed directly at the goggle-wearing Digidestined. "You're going to make sure these girls don't get any ideas. . ."

"Hey! I'm insulted!" Yolei gasped, although her face was making its way to beet red. Oh, geez, doesn't he already know I think he's hot!?

"Oh? And if I refuse?!" Davis retorted, hands on hips as he looked at the boy with hooded eyes.

T.K. slapped his forehead dramatically. "You guys. . ."

"If Davis doesn't want to go, I'll go," offered Cody. He received surprised looks from his friends, but paid them little heed. "You guys always get to go to the river; I haven't been there once yet. Besides, I'm sure that Wormmon would like to be in the water. Wouldn't you, Wormmon?" The digimon in his arms nodded once, not breaking from his silence since the battle against Utagaumon.

"Well, I guess that's settled," Davis sighed, scratching his head slowly. He hadn't expected anyone to actually volunteer after his "refusal." Oh well, I guess I can just annoy T.R. for awhile. He looked sideways at Kari and Yolei, noting they were still red-faced as Ken and Cody walked off. Geez, I wonder if I'd get the same reaction if I said I was gonna take a bath. . .?

* * * * *

Click, click, click.

Click, click, click.

Click, click, hiss.

"I can't wait for those Digidestined to rest. . . I want this whole game over with now."

"There's no point in confronting them now; both you and they are weakened."

"They're worse off than I am! Let me attack them!"

"No. Rushing at them now will only provide an incorrect judgment."

There was a growl of frustration. "That's wrong and you know it. Battling them now would probably get a better reaction out of them."

". . . I still forbid it. Don't do anything rash that you'll regret, Utagaumon."

An indignant snort. I doubt I'll regret anything. This was his plan anyway. . . And I don't care if he hears me.

* * * * *

Cody was no stranger to proper procedures of all sorts, politely turning away as Ken discarded his soiled garments and entered the river water. He didn't show any outward reaction to Ken's hissing at the temperature of the water, although Wormmon squirmed slightly at the sound. Once he was sure that Ken was in the water, Cody turned around and found a seat on the beach.

The Digimon Emperor knelt several feet into the gently-flowing river, his upper chest and shoulders visible. As Cody and Wormmon watched, Ken inhaled sharply and dunked his head underwater, coming back up quickly and flinging his now-wet hair out of his eyes. The infamous, wild hair of the tyrant was now gone, replaced by the calmed hair that Ken Ichijouji showed the real world.

It took Cody a few seconds to notice a small change that had taken place in that one action, frowning slightly as he inquired. "What happened to your hair?"

Ken's brow shot up at the question, and he pulled a wet lock to scrutinize it. "Are you talking about the color?" Cody nodded, leaning forward to look more closely. ". . . I guess the hairgel does some strange things to my hair other than spike it."

The green-eyed boy resumed his former sitting position, shifting Wormmon in his lap a bit. "Indigo is a more fitting color than blue on you."

A chuckle sounded from the older boy's throat, surprising Cody; he hadn't heard the other laugh so openly before. It was always a mocking laugh, sarcastic and always with dark undertones. The purity of his amusement was a welcome change. "I'll take that as a compliment, Cody," Ken murmured, then returned to cleaning himself up.

Cody smiled thinly, averting his attention from the bathing emperor to the silent digimon in his arms. "Wormmon, you're being very quiet. Is something wrong?"

Those bright, sapphire-blue eyes aimed up at him. ". . . No. No, not really. . ." The small caterpillar's brows were drawn together in worry. "I just. . . Well. . ."

"What is it?"

Wormmon bowed his head, then shook it. "Never mind. I think it's just my imagination." He looked over at Ken -- his master? -- and seemed to frown. "I worry about this whole test."

The Digidestined of Knowledge and Reliability blinked. "Why?"

". . . I can't help but feel like that this whole thing is meant to test Ken-chan and his ability to open the Digimentals. What's going to happen when he opens them all? We only have three left."

Light, Reliability, and Love, Cody mentally noted. "I can't answer that, Wormmon. . . Is that your only worry?"

"Not really," admitted the digimon. "Will things go back to the way they were once this is all over? I don't want to fight you all again; I think I'm beginning to like you all."

Cody sighed, gesturing with his chin to Ken. "You'd have to ask Ken; he's the only one that can really answer that. If he didn't try to enslave the digimon, we would never have had to fight him. But . . . I don't think so." His eyes wandered back to the slender boy, who had walked further into the river. ". . . I hope not."

A thought seemed to pop into Wormmon's head suddenly, and he wriggled from Cody's arms and scurried to the water's edge. "Ken-chan, what are you going to do about clothes? Your clothes are still dirty. . ."

Ken seemed to stiffen, turning to look at his digimon in surprise. "Shoot, I didn't think about that at all. . ." Laughing at himself audibly, Ken sank into the water a bit more. Apparently he was getting over his sickness with great ease. "Damn, I'm an idiot."

"I think you've got a head cold or something," Cody said, having followed the green digimon to the end of the beach. "Blame the sickness for your forgetfulness." He smiled slightly in amusement. "What are you going to do now, Ken?"

The young emperor appeared to seriously think about the question, then replied lightly, "'Probably sit here and wait until my blood freezes."

Cody and Wormmon sweatdropped. "Ken, seriously. . ."

Ken sighed and looked around for a few seconds. He pointed above his two companions at the large leaves of a tree, which resembled a multicolored Hawaiian palm. "Those could serve as towels if we could reach them."

Wormmon brightened, then toddled off towards the trunk of the tree. "Leave it to me, Ken-chan!" The caterpillar climbed the tree easily, quickly reaching the top and scrutinizing the huge leaves. "Any color in particular, Ken-chan?" he queried jokingly.

The two boys smiled from below at the digimon. "Whatever strikes you, Wormmon," replied the Digimon Emperor.

A mischievous glint graced the digimon's eyes and he nodded, nibbling at a leaf hidden behind the others. He finished after a few moments and pulled the leaf free, allowing it fall and land silently on the sand. Cody stifled waves of laughter at the sight of the leaf, covering his mouth to hide his amusement from the shocked Ken Ichijouji.

"It's-- it's pink? It's pink!!" Ken gasped, his eyes widening considerably. He looked at Cody and then at Wormmon, who giggled from his perch in the tree. "Wormmon, you little fiend!"

Wormmon called down in a sing-song voice. "Don't you like it, Ken-chaaan?"

"No. . . Get me another one!"

The little rookie gave a mock salute. "Yes, sir!" He nibbled away at another leaf, a blue one joining the other on the soft sand.

Cody was busy wiping mirthful tears from his eyes. "Ken, the look on your face was . . . priceless."

Ken muttered something under his breath, then shook his head. "This doesn't leave either of your mouths, do you hear me? I have a reputation to keep, you know." When he noticed the sudden discomfort and shock in his two friends' faces, the indigo-haired boy blinked hard. What did I say-- . . . Dang it, Ichijouji, you're becoming an idiot with every passing hour! ". . . Um, that was supposed to be a joke."

A stunned look found its way to Cody's face, quickly overwhelming the former discomfort. "A joke? . . . Sorry, Ken . . . I'm still getting over the whole--"

"Don't apologize," interrupted Ken, waving dismissingly. "I'd rather forget the whole misinterpretation altogether." He looked distastefully at the huge leaf, then at his regal clothes. "This is so degrading. . ."

Cody looked away again as Ken exited the river, concentrating on watching Wormmon climb down the tree until Ken said it was all right to turn again. The older boy was scrubbing at his clothes in the river with his bare hands, his back to the two. He had wrapped the leaf around his waist.

"Do you need any help?" the brown-haired child queried quietly.

"I think I'll be fine. It's just pretty annoying that I have to do laundry. I mean, when was the last time I had to do domestic chores. . .?"

"Months and months ago, I imagine," Cody murmured back.

Ken abruptly stopped, pulling his cape out of the water and backing up. He was frowning deeply, his blue eyes narrowing quickly as he pushed Cody away from the river's edge. Wormmon blinked from his place at the trunk of the tree. "Ken-chan, what's wrong?"

"I felt something tremble in the water. . ." Ken snatched up his clothes and began to put them on, no longer concerned with Cody and Wormmon's reactions. He had just gotten on his body suit when a huge form suddenly shot out of the water, towering over the three and glaring.

"A Seadramon!?" Cody managed in surprise.

"Not just any Seadramon, Digidestined. . .," the champion digimon shot back. There was a startling glimmer of familiarity in those deep, gray eyes.

It didn't take Ken a second longer to realize who their enemy truly was. "Utagaumon!"

"Correct, Digimon Emperor," confirmed the water serpent digimon. "Ice Blast!"

Ken tensed as the shape-shifter opened his mouth to attack, wrapping his arms around Cody and leaping out of the way. The huge missile of ice embedded itself in the soft earth, an angry reminder of the attack that could have killed them. Wormmon bounded to the two boys, his eyes worried but determined.

"Ken-chan!"

Ken took a deep breath and nodded, taking up Cody's D-terminal and his black digivice. "Digi-Armor, energize!" To both boys' surprise, a black beam shot out of the small computer and into Ken's D-3, revealing a different Digimental.

"Wormmon Armor Digivolve to . . . Archelomon, the flow of fidelity!"

"Reliability. . .," Cody gasped as he looked from Ken to the new digimon and back. "Ken, you opened the Digimental of Reliability!"

The taller boy nodded dumbly, staring at the sea turtle-like digimon. It was bigger than the more-humanoid digimon and only a bit bigger than Searchmon, with those same antennae of Wormmon protruding in golden-helmeted head with a dark pink jaw. A hard, off-green shell protected the digimon's back, hind flippers and a tail barely visible from the front. What were visible were a pair of silver blades that had taken the place of front fins on the digimon, gleaming brightly in the sun.

"I . . . don't understand. . .," managed the emperor. "How!?"

"You've been able to open the Digimental of Reliability since you saved Cody's life back in the alpha level, Ken-chan," Archelomon said, his voice a deep rumble. "The opportunity to use it just never showed itself until now." He turned to face Utagaumon, glaring. "No one tries to kill my friends without paying for it. You should have learned that from Uragirumon."

Utagaumon guffawed at the mentioning of the undead demon digimon, startling the two humans and the armored digimon. ". . . If only you knew. . .," sighed the shape-shifter. "Ice Winder!"

Despite being a sea animal digimon out of water, Archelomon moved fast enough to intercept Utagaumon's tail and block the attack meant for Ken and Cody. "Get away from here!" the armored digimon shouted. "Warn the others!"

Exchanging glances, Ken and Cody both nodded. The younger boy hurried off to the shelter of the forest, Ken trailing behind long enough to see his digimon wrestle Utagaumon into the water. His fists clenches slowly, then he turned and sped after the Digidestined of Knowledge and Reliability.

Don't get yourself killed, Wormmon. . .
Wormmon -- *blinks* What kind of ending was that?
A very good ending, if I may say so.
Ken -- You had me naked in this chapter!
It's not like it was graphic or anything, Ken . . . yeesh! All you did was take a bath. You couldn't very well take a bath with your clothes on , could you?
Ken -- I just can't believe you . . . made me. . . *trails off and blushes* All those readers. . .! . . . Especially the female ones. . . *sweatdrops*
*grins wickedly* Aww, you're so cute when you're embarrassed! *cuddles Ken*
Wormmon -- . . . . . . . Yeah, well, I'll be going off and getting a sundae. *toddles off*
Ken -- *panics* Wo-- Wormmon. . .! Don't leave me alone with her!!!