Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Dragon Morphs: A Digimorphs Tale ❯ Terrifying Fires! Vritramon’s Curse! ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Digimon / Digital Monsters and all related trademarks belong are copyright to Toei animation / Saban entertainment. The story, its original contents and ideas, and any original characters belong to the author and cannot be used or reprinted without the author's permission.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Terrifying Fires! Vritramon's Curse!

By Gregory Stephen/nightdragon0 (nightdragon0@hotmail.com)

"You?! Armor Evolving?" Janet gasped.

"Yep. It was really cool too!" Steve bragged.

"Man, you should've seen him, he was awesome!" Raindramon added in.

"What's with all the fuss?" Zoe came jogging into the garden, carrying a Monodramon on her shoulder.

"It's all about me. That…huh?" Steve stared. "That wouldn't happen to be Sekata on your shoulder, would it?"

"Please don't ask." Sekata moaned. "It's horrible! I'm pretty much stuck like this until I can get my Digivice back!"

"What's wrong? You do look kind of cute." Steve laughed.

"That's what's so horrible!"

"Hahaha. Anyway, I've got some neat sets of armor to play around with." Steve lifted his Digivice and pushed a button, causing the screen to scroll through images of the various Digimetals. "Just think, some day I could become any armor Digimon I choose!"

"Any armor Digimon…" Zoe muttered.

With Sekata, she flew up to Jan's ear and the three huddled there, whispering.

"Just think…"

(A thought bubble appears above the three, showing an imaginary Steve/Flamedramon armor evolving into Submarimon…on dry land. "Help! Help! I can't move!" Squeaks the imaginary Submarimon as he flops around like a stranded fish out of water.)

Sekata, Jan and Zoe burst out laughing. So much that Jan fell over, causing quite an impact with her MegaloGrowmon body.

"Hey! What's so funny?!" A clueless Steve asked.

"That's for us to know and you to find out." Zoe giggled as the three begun to separate and walk off in different directions.

"Hey! Hey! Get back here!" Steve yelled after them. "Hey! I'm supposed to show off now! Hey! Come back!"

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Humph, Gargoylemon thinks he's the only technical expert around here." Depthmon muttered. The aquatic Digimon was positioned at the work bench where Jan's Digivice was being repaired.

"Leave it to me, I'm a trained professional! He says." Depthmon twisted a wire and replaced the casing. "Give me a break. I can do this too. There!"

Depthmon pushed the nearest button on the Digivice.

BOOM!

"Yargh!"

Sparks flew as the casing came off, together with a burnt smell and some black some. Startled, Depthmon fell back against the floor.

Groaning, he pulled himself up and stared at the mess on the table.

"Oh shit…I am going to get downloaded alive…"

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later, back in the garden…

"So you see…erm…there were a few…technical faults." Depthmon explained nervously.

"And I'm STILL stuck like this?!" Janet roared. "Jeez! I'm going to go crazy if I have to stay in this body any longer!"

"You already are crazy." Steve muttered.

"Steve, shut up! Don't think I can't hear you just because I'm 7-stories tall."

"Well, I need to head down to town to pick up some supplies to continue working on your Digivice." Gargoylemon shot a glance to his colleague. "Because someone so wonderfully blew up my last micro-electronical processing unit."

"Which is something we're going to have a talk about after this." Magnamon gave Depthmon a stern look.

Depthmon gulped, knowing it wasn't going to be anything good.

"On the other hand, the town Gargoylemon will be going to might interest you Sekata." Magnamon continued. " Renoir Town is also a famous place for Digital Card Battles."

"Card Battles?" Sekata asked. "You mean Digimon Cards? You guys have them here too?"

"You sound surprised."

"Yeah, Digimon playing Digimon cards…that's something I didn't think of." Sekata whistled. "We may even be able to get some additional cards for back-up."

"Its one of the major competitive 'sports' around here." Gold V-dramon added in. "Winning is pretty tough."

"Hey, you're looking at one of Japan 's top players here! I can take home on, I can take the Digital World too!"

"The way you look now," Steve petted the Monodramon's head. "you could probably woo them to death with your cuteness….AARRRGGHHH!!"

That was because Sekata kicked him in the shin.

"I may be a Rookie now, but I'm deadly."

"Aw, whatever." Steve muttered. "You go knock yourself out. I'm gonna stick around here and shoot some arrows about. Digimetal up!"

Steve evolved into Sagittarimon and took about 7 running steps before he tripped over his own feet and fell.

"Ow…hey, that didn't happen before!"

"I don't think you're very skilled at using those armored forms." The actual Sagittarimon muttered, slapping his head. "Which unfortunately is also resulting in you making me look bad."

"That's about the smartest thing anyone's ever done." Gargoylemon whispered to the others.

"I'll get better, just watch!" Steve insisted, bringing an arrow up to his bow.

"NO! Don't hold the drawstring like that…"

"Oops!"

Steve accidentally released the arrow, which went flying into the castle's wall. A loud bang resulted, accompanied by the falling of several bricks.

"That's it! I'm going to give you some personal training kid!" Sagittarimon declared.

"Erm…I think the card games sound nicer Sekata…urk!" Steve choked as Sagittarimon grabbed him by the back of his neck and pulled him away.

"Yasyamon, some assistance please."

The silent warrior joined in and the two dragged Steve around the corner.

"NNNNNOOOOOO!!!! GUYS! Help me! Say something! DO something! Don't leave me with them!!!!!"

"Have a nice time boys!" Zoe giggled. She then turned to Janet. "You coming?"

"No way! I am NOT leaving this castle looking like this!" Jan protested, jabbing her mechanical claws at herself.

"All right." Gargoylemon nodded. "I'll fly and you just follow me."

"Zoe…erm…I'm going to need a lift." Sekata muttered sheepishly.

"It's no problem." The XV-mon smiled, lowering herself to one knee. "I think I actually like it."

"Don't get used to it." Sekata growled, hopping on.

"WHAT?!" Steve's voice came from around the corner.

"Is that the way you talk to your commanding officer?!" Sagittarimon remarked. "The first and last word out of your mouth will be SIR! Understood?"

"Sir…yes sir."

"What do you think this is? A sissy school?! Put some voice into it!"

"SIR, YES SIR!"

"That's good…NOW DROP AND GIVE ME 20!"

"Sir, yes sir…sir, how does a centaur do push-ups, sir?"

"OH, you want to know, do you?"

"I so know how that feels." Gargoylemon said to Sekata and Zoe.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Wow, these are what towns in the Digital World are like?" Zoe asked, looking down at the bustling streets beneath.

"Must be a pretty new experience to you two." Gargoylemon commented.

"Well, it's like this back home, but not with streets full of Digimon of every shape and size." Sekata replied.

"Anyway, we land here Zoe."

Gargoylemon and Zoe descended and landed on an open spot that looked like it had been left for the benefit of flying Digimon.

"Well, I'm going to get the stuff from my usual mechanic." Gargoylemon told them. "Feel free to wander around town, but don't cause any trouble. I'll meet you guys back here in the evening."

"Will do." Sekata nodded.

"See you later!" Gargoylemon called as he departed.

"So, where to?" Zoe asked.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

That evening…

"Come back again!" The pair of Biyomon waved.

"You bet I will!" Sekata waved, happily juggling the bunch of card packs he'd won throughout the day.

It had gone really well for Sekata and he hadn't lost a single game all day. Dotted around the area were 'duel houses', where players could randomly meet up and play. Several of those houses organized mini- tournaments, open to anyone quick enough to sign up. Prizes had ranged from cash to prize packs, hence the bunch that Sekata now carried.

"If only Zoe was around to see the looks on their faces." He laughed.

In particular he remembered that Gatomon who'd fallen off the table in disbelief.

"Speaking of Zoe, where is she anyway?" Sekata muttered, glancing around the streets, which were rapidly clearing out.

"Wow, did you see that?" A voice gasped.

"She's amazing!" Another piped in.

There was a large crowd gathered ahead and Sekata dashed up to it.

"Excuse me, what's going on?"

"That girl is amazing mate!" A Digmon answered. "She just beat the 'curry rice eating record'!"

"The what?"

Digmon pointed to a sign, which read 'Fantastic Prize will be awarded to any participant able to eat the most bowls of curry rice in one hour!'.

"Here, climb onto my back mate." Digmon offered.

"Thanks!" Sekata scrambled up, only to see none other than Zoe at the table.

"Gguurrgghh…I got beaten…by a girl!" A Greymon moaned, before collapsing.

The crowd roared as Zoe raised her arms in triumph.

"Wow…" Sekata whistled. "Wonder what prize could've spurred her on to do that?"

The cheering was interrupted by the piercing sound of whistle being blown. A Wizardmon was running down the street.

"Vritramon's here! He's been sighted at the outskirts of town, to the North!"

"Who?" Sekata tried to ask. "Yargh! Whoa!"

The Monodramon was tossed away as the crowd broke out in panic.

"Run for your lives!"

"Let's get out of here!"

"Everybody get indoors!"

"Hey! Who's got my staff?! Who took my staff?!" Yelled Wizardmon.

Sekata rolled into a corner and crouched down until the crowd had disappeared, leaving only an empty street lines by rows of shops that had their doors barred and bolted shut.

"What was that all about?" Zoe muttered, leaping down from the roof of a building. She'd flown up there in the chaos. "Sekata?"

"I'm fine." He nodded, pulling himself up.

"This is just perfect! Now I'm never gonna get that prize!"

"Did you hear what they were saying?" Sekata asked. "Something about Vritramon?"

"Yeah, I think it was at the North side." Zoe replied. "Man, the town's people were pretty freaked."

"I think we should check it out."

"Right!" The XV-mon nodded.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Is this the place?" Zoe wondered. "I don't see anything."

The path leading out of the North end of town had brought them through a short, but thick forest. The dirt path now led along the top of a granite hill. It was a dark and slightly foggy area.

It hadn't been much for the pair's motivation that the streets had been completely deserted as they'd run through.

"Be on guard." Sekata warned. "There's no telling when…"

"LOOK OUT!"

BOOM!

An explosion sent the pair flying and rolling roughly down the hill.

Sekata's ears were still ringing as he hit the ground.

"Urgh…Zoe?"

"I'm OK." She called, shaking her head to clear it. "But what the heck was that?!"

Almost as if to answer that question, another figure leapt down, landing in front of them with a terrifying roar.

It was a large dragon, taller and more muscular than Zoe. The dragon had a humanoid form and stood on 2 legs. It had three fingers on both his legs and its hands. It was completely covered in red armor with a Wargreymon style three-horned helmet.

The dragon roared again, spreading its fiery wings and showing off the blasters attached to each of its forearms.

"I'll bet this is the Vritramon they were talking about." Zoe muttered.

"Watch out Zoe!"

Vritramon brought the blasters up and fired. Zoe dove to the side, grabbing Sekata and pulling him along as well. The two gasped at the blackened spot they'd left behind.

"This is a bad time to be without my Digivice!" Sekata cried. "I can't even evolve like this!"

"Just leave him to me." Zoe said firmly. "You go take cover."

"But…"

"Sekata, trust me. I've got this one covered." Zoe insisted, getting out a card. "Card Slash! Training Grips!"

Gripping her blue Digivice in her left claw, Zoe slid the card through. In a flash of light, the training grips appeared in her right claw. It was basically a set of two metal cuffs linked together by multiple chains.

"Come and get me!" She taunted.

Vritramon charged, claws outstretched. Zoe leapt away at the last moment, tossing the training grips. Vritramon got himself entangled and stumbled over.

"X-laser!"

Zoe pelted the armored dragon with a couple of blasts, which barely seemed to hurt the beast. Vritramon sprang up at an amazing speed and roared, ripping the training grips to bits in an enraged burst. The fire dragon charged wildly and attacked. Zoe dodged its first claw swipe, then leapt further away to avoid the second.

That was when she groaned, kneeling and leaning against a tree for support.

"Zoe?!" Sekata called. "What's wrong?"

"Damn…my stomach." Zoe moaned. "I think I had too much of that curry rice just now."

"Just how many bowls DID you eat?!"

"47."

"Nande?! Hontoo ga?!" (What?! Really?!")

"I was hungry!"

"Watch out!"

"Aaarrghh!"

Vritramon smacked Zoe at the side of her head, sending the XV-mon flying into a tree. Zoe groaned and hit the ground, unconscious. Vritramon roared in triumph and edged towards the fallen dragon.

"Hey! Leave her alone you bully!"

Forgetting everything, Sekata grabbed a stone and threw it. The small rock did little more than bounce off Vritramon's armor. However, it did manage to turn his attention towards Sekata.

Sekata brought his claw to his wrist, only to remember his Digivice wasn't there.

"Shimatta!!!"

The Monodramon took off running like his life depended on it….which it probably did anyway. It did help a little that he could squeeze through the trees whilst the larger Vritramon had to tear them down first.

In his panic, Sekata accidentally ran into a short cavern, which led him smack into a dead end. Swearing, he turned to back out…only to find Vritramon at the entrance.

The huge dragon growled, seeming to take pleasure in the hunt.

Between his legs! Sekata thought.

Sekata waited until the last moment before making his dash. He did get between the legs, but he hadn't taken the tail into consideration. Sekata only realized the mistake when he suddenly found himself restrained and out of breath.

Vritramon had wrapped him in his tail, and now lifted Sekata up into his claws. The Monodramon struggled in vain as the arm mounted blasters clicked into position.

"NO! No! Please don't kill me!!! I'm…I'm just a Rookie! I won't have much data for you to absorb! NNNNOOOOOO!"

Sekata closed his eyes. But after several seconds, his thoughts hadn't come to an end. Cringing, Sekata risked a peek, and much to his surprise, Vritramon seemed to be hesitating.

Not only that, his entire body was trembling, as if he were fighting to stop himself from committing the deed.

The next few moments were an absolute standstill. Then, Vritramon rasped out something Sekata could barely make out.

"Help…me…"

Through confused, Sekata realized the vice-like grip around his body was loosening. He happened to turn up and noticed the huge boulder embedded in the ceiling above them.

Maybe I do have a chance!

"Up here!" With a quick motion, Sekata pulled himself free and jumped up, using Vritramon's claw as a springboard.

The red dragon reacted exactly as Sekata hoped: firing his blasters.

Sekata bounced his body off the ceiling and in another direction, mere moments before the shots made contact. The energy bursts blew out the ceiling, sending the boulder, plus tons more rock, down on Vritramon.

The dragon roared in fury as the rocks forced him to the ground. Finally, he lay still, with only his head sticking out from under the huge boulder.

Sekata picked himself up, dizzy with tension.

"I'm…alive…" He gasped. "Huh?"

Something seemed to be glowing on Vritramon's head.

"What's this?" Sekata muttered, reaching a claw out to touch it. It seemed to be some sort of 'figurine', about the size of his fist. "Could this be a…"

Sekata never got to finish the sentence. One moment, he touched the glowing object and felt it was warm like fire. The next, his mind and body were screaming in extreme pain.

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hey, you OK? Wake up!"

"Urrmmmm…" Zoe opened her eyes and found herself staring up into a blue face. "Huh?"

"Are you all right?" The blue Digimon asked.

He was an Aero V-dramon, an ultimate level dragon type Digimon. His body was blue and white in color, with a pair of red, leathery wings on his back. Two horns came out of the back of his head, and one more on the tip of his snout. Decorating his chest was a 'V'-like pattern.

"Erm, yeah. Thanks." Zoe allowed Aero V-dramon to help her to her feet.

"So, what were you doing out here, fellow blue dragon? Not safe for a lady to be walking out here all alone."

"Excuse me, do males always think they are the superior sex?!" Zoe said angrily. "I can take care of myself!"

"Sure did a fine job here." Aero V-dramon commented.

"Oh shut up. A little more and I would've gotten Vritramon…oh god! Sekata!"

"Wait! Wh-hey!"

Zoe shoved past Aero V-dramon and frantically glanced around the area.

"Sekata! Where are you?! Sekata!"

"Who are you looking for?" Aero V-dramon asked, jogging up beside her.

"Have you seen Sek-I mean a Monodramon around here?! Anywhere?!" Zoe asked, grabbing him by the shoulders.

"Whoa! Whoa! Calm down." Aero V-dramon waved his arms. "First let me ask, was that the legendary warrior, Vritramon, which you mentioned. Were you attacked?"

"Well, sort of."

"Then that sure explains the fires." Aero V-dramon pointed.

Zoe realized the area smelt burnt and of smoke. Several Seadramon and SnowAgumon were around the area, spraying their water and ice breaths around to douse several more sections of burning trees.

"But did you find him? Monodramon?" Zoe asked again, a desperate look on her face.

The look on Aero V-dramon's face told Zoe everything even before he spoke.

"I'm sorry."

"No…I…I don't believe it!"

"You might want to have a look at this."

Aero V-dramon led her to a cavern at the side of the hill. At least, it had been one until part of the ceiling collapsed.

"This was apparently the battle site. We found another Digimon, a Hyougamon lying here. They've taken him back to town, but he's in a coma right now and we won't be getting anything out of him anytime soon." Aero V-dramon explained, indicating the spots. "See those footprints? The larger ones belong to Vritramon and the smaller ones to your friend."

Zoe nodded.

"Two sets go into the remains of the cave, but only one set comes out. Vritramon's."

"No…Sekata." Zoe muttered.

She immediately broke down, grabbing on to Aero V-dramon as she wept. The larger dragon was a little startled, but he relaxed and let her hold on.

"I'm sorry." He whispered again, stroking the back of her head. "Just let it all out."

"If…if I'd been more careful…then…he…he wouldn't be…" Zoe managed between her tears.

"The Legendary Warriors." Aero V-dramon muttered. "The stories tell that they protected the Digital World a long time ago. Those tales also say they vanished thousands of years ago and have never been seen for generations…until now."

Zoe looked up and Aero V-dramon continued.

"Recently, the dragon known as Vritramon begun to show up. They were isolated reports and rumored sightings at first, nothing that could pass as important and hence implore action to be taken. But then the attacks began. This is the first time he's shown up in this particular region, but now there is enough evidence."

"Enough evidence for?" Zoe queried.

"We've formed a hunting party to seek out and destroy Vritramon before he leaves this region and harms anyone else. And I'd like you to join us."

Zoe stood up, wiping her tears away.

"Count me in."

"I thought you would. Come on, lets head back to town and I'll tell you more."

--------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

What's going on?! What's happening to me?!

Sekata's mind was in a daze. He faintly remembered the battle, touching something…then pain all over. Like he'd been burning alive.

His body was aching all over, but whatever it was seemed to have subsided for now. Sekata felt the ground beneath his chest and pushed himself into a kneeling position.

Sekata noted his body felt different. One much larger and stronger. He'd been in three different forms before, but this one was something else.

Lifting his head, he opened his eyes and glanced around.

Wait a second! Where am I? I definitely wasn't here before!

He was lying beside a circular lake, surrounded by trees. Sekata then faced down…and stared mouth opened at 'his' own claws.

No…it…it can't be!

Sekata looked into the lake, expecting to see his reflection. What he found was Vritramon staring back at him.

With a roar of surprise, he fell backwards.

I'm…Vritramon!!

Sekata ran his claws over his body. Sure enough, he was clad in the red armor. He moved his tail and flapped the fiery wings on his back. Even his claws had the blasters mounted on them.

How? Did I…I touched…the Spirit?

Sekata thought back to what he knew as just a TV series from his own world.

Then, does the legend of the 10 warriors exist in this Digital World too? What's next? The D-Reaper?

That was when he heard voices.

"I think its here!"

"All right men, we've got the beast surrounded!"

Sekata stepped into a combat stance. Several groups of Digimon appeared from the forest surrounding the lake. However, there was one he recognized, through he wasn't exactly sure how.

Zoe! He called. At least that was what he tried to say. What came out was a fierce bark.

What the?! Sekata thought. Can't I even control my own mouth…aarrgghhh!

Sekata hit the ground hard. Zoe was in a guarding stance, the 'X' mark on her chest still glowing with energy.

Sekata could only stare in shock, seeing how she'd just fired at him.

Zoe! Zoe! It's me Sekata! He tried again. Once again, only growls came out.

"Now I've got you, monster." She growled fiercely. "Remember me? YOU killed a friend of mine. And I'm here to avenge him."

"Your reign of destruction ends here!" An Aero V-dramon continued. "You'll terrorize no more innocent Digimon!"

Avenge her friend?! Oh no…

The realization hit Sekata like a hammer on the head. Zoe thought he'd been killed. She and the rest of this group were pursuing the killer.

And right now, Sekata had literally been stuffed into that killer's skin.