Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Fated ❯ Pain ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Fated: Part Three

Pain

People's minds, particularly the minds of children, are like wells-- deep wells full of sweet water. And sometimes, when a particular thought is too unpleasant to bear, the person who has that thought will lock it into a heavy box and throw it into that well. He listens for the splash... and then the box is gone. Except it is not, of course. Not really.

...even the deepest well has a bottom, and just because a thing is out of sight, doesn't mean it is gone. It is still there, resting at the bottom.

...the caskets those evil, frightening ideas are buried in may rot, and the nastiness inside may leak out after a while and poison the water... and when the well of the mind is badly poisoned, we call the result insanity-- from 'The Eyes of the Dragon'


Rika scoffed. The note had been shoved underneath her room's sliding wall; the person who wrote it had to have been outside... on her porch. An image popped into her head. Goggle-boy.... He never left her alone! On the day he couldn't come nag her (because of school), he left a letter instead! Speaking of school-- why would he come over so early, anyway?

She looked it over once more. After the few quotes, he had written a short, caring message... one that made her shudder. Why was he doing this? Why did it push her emotions to the max? No one ever cared about her before... why should he...?

The redhead sighed, attempted to shred the piece of paper... then folded it gently. It slid into her uniform's pocket. Perhaps... she would play along-- let him think that he was getting closer.... Besides, she wanted to know the reasons for his doings. Perhaps....

She walked off to school. The boy's words rang within her head as though she had heard him say it.

'Don't let this happen to you, Rika... it's better to let it all out....'

~*~

Riinng!

Children poured from the school like water rushing down the Niagra Falls. Let's face it-- it was Tuesday. A school day. These poor kids just wanted to go home!

Takato walked among them, although his mind was elsewhere. He was thinking of Rika. What was she doing right now? Well, duh... probably heading home as well! But... still-- what was she doing? What was she thinking about? Him? His note? He highly doubted it.

He let out an exasperated sigh and folded his arms to his chest. In reality, he wanted to go visit her again but... was too afraid of what she do to him. All in all, the letter hadn't been anything special-- just some quotes he'd found in a book the night before. Then again... Rika would probably kill him....

With a shudder, he whispered, "I'll let her cool down...."

"Who?"

The boy turned to the voice. It was Jeri.... Man, she always seemed to pop up whenever he let his voice trail off! She greeted him with a "woof!" from her puppet; Takato laughed nervously.

"No one, Jeri...." For some odd reason... he felt calmer around the girl. I mean-- yeah, he had a little crush on her and all, but.... A blush forced its way onto his face... a faint blush.

Takato was acting funny.... He usually blushed cutely or stumbled over his words when he talked to her! Jeri glanced at her puppet. 'What's wrong with Takato?' she imagined asking it. In response, it simply barked. "Well, that's fine," she answered with a smile and began to walk away. Instantly, though, she turned back around and asked: "Are you going to the park today?"

The park? Gee... he hadn't been there for a while! He needed to test the newest cards he bought, anyway. "Maybe. I really need to brush up on my card playing skills," he muttered. He faintly wondered if Rika played Digimon... nah.

"Well, I think I'm going to visit you guys!" It would be fun! She would bring snacks and watch them play and.... Yes-- that's what she'd do. "See you later!" Jeri hollered, running off in the direction of her home. It would take her a little bit to make the munchies!

Waving unsurely, Takato sighed again. What was his life coming to?

~*~

It had been an okay day, really. Henry had gone down to the park with his two new friends to play cards, run around and mainly have some fun. Later on, one of Kazu and Kenta's pals came to play.... His name was Takato... wasn't it? The kid was pretty good, although he often made simple mistakes that made him lose the game.

Oh well-- Henry beat all their butts! With a laugh he set his card pack on his dresser. Dinner was almost done, he guessed. He wasn't really hungry,though, because a girl-- Jeri-- had brought enough food for herself and all four boys Still, it would be rude to turn down his mother's cooking, so....

A thought hit him suddenly. His dad hadn't come home yet! Then again... did he come home yesterday, either? No... now that he thought about it, he didn't know where he was! And Mr. Wong never missed out on a home cooked meal! On the contrary-- it was his favorite tradition!

"Hey, Mom? Where's Dad been?"

Mrs. Wong glanced at her son nervously. Should she tell him the truth? That she didn't know? "I... think he mentioned something about a meeting in America...," she answered. It was a lie, yes, but it was better than having her son worry.

Henry nodded. That was reasonable. He did travel a lot, after all.

"Henwy?"

"Yeah, Susie?" His sister ran out, dragging a little Lopmon stuffed animal after her. A humongous grin was planted on her face.

"Can I pway with Pwincess Pwetty Pants for a while?" she asked innocently. Pwincess Pwetty Pants and Bunny Wunny were going to have a dress up party! "Pweaze?"

He sighed. What did she see in his Terriermon stuffed toy...? Especially something that made it 'Pwincess Pwetty Pants?' "Go on ahead... just put it back when you're done!"

"Wee! Dwess party!" exclaimed the child as she ran into his room. Pwincess Pwetty Pants would wear a pink one and Bunny Wunny could try a white one and....

Henry looked out the window in their living room. He wasn't sure his mother was being truthful.... Still, he had to believe her-- she was his mother, after all. She wouldn't lie to him... would she?

"Kids! Dinner's almost done!"

"Alright! I'll set the table!"

"And I'll help serve the food!"

"Set one for Pwincess Pwetty Pants and Bunny Wunny, too! Pweaze?"

"Alright, Susie...."

~*~

No... she wasn't worried. It didn't matter to her that the stupid goggle-brain had visited her twice, left her a letter then never did either again! She didn't care! She didn't want to be any part of it, anyway!

Okay... so maybe she was a little worried....

Rika looked up to the sky. It was Friday... almost one week since she had met that strange boy.... She shook her head, shaking her bangs roughly. No! She didn't care anymore! Nothing mattered! Besides, he sure showed her how much of a friend he wanted to be! Hah! If walked through her door at that moment, she'd... she'd punch him!

"Rika?"

The redhead stopped her threatening thoughts and turned to her grandmother's voice. Dinner, probably.... "Coming!"

Then, as if on some odd cue, he walked onto the porch. "Goggle-head?" she snarled. Clenching her fists, she vowed that she'd hit him some other time. Her mother was home right now.... "What do you want? I was just starting to think that you had listened to me!" she crowed, laughing immensely. Like he would get anywhere near being a friend to her!

Takato coughed and played with his goggles. God... he was such an idiot. He should've visited her that week! But no-o-o! What did he do instead? Why, he played his card game! And guess what! He didn't get any better! If only he had gone to her house more often....

"Sorry," he whispered as he moved to sit next to her. She had a nice house. For a while, he just sat there and enjoyed the scenery. The flowers would die soon, and it would take a while before they grew and blossomed again. Besides, she didn't really say anything, either....

What was he doing?! Wasn't that a hint to leave? And yet... she remembered that she wanted to know why he was bugging her so much... and why he made her feel different. Tightening her ponytail, she mumbled, "What do you want...?"

What...? Had she... actually talked to him without being rude or mean? Wow...! What a big accomplishment! She had finally talked to him like anyone else would! He grinned. "Just... to talk."

Rika nodded silently. She could do that, although she didn't have much to talk about.... Well, she didn't! At least not with him!

And so... he talked, and she listened.

He talked of his school life, his friends ("Do you have any close friends, Rika?"), his life in general, what he did for a living, and so on and so forth. He'd ask her some simple questions, but she would mostly answer with a "What's it to you?" or something like that. Other than that, Rika sat there and nodded, taking in whatever he said. She'd have to learn a few things about him, anyway. Why not start there? And then....

He started talking about his family.

Takato paused and studied her expressions. Her eyes looked as though they were pleading for him to stop. 'Stop talking about your perfect life, family and friends!' they seemed to scream. He asked softly, "What's your family like?"

She scoffed. "For all you know, it's just as good as yours!" she shot back, rage rising. Another factor that tore at her was... fear. She wanted to be left alone! Why wouldn't he shut up?!

Nodding, he muttered, "Yeah, I figured that. And yet... and yet I wonder. I see your grandma all the time-- she must live here permanently, right? As for your mother, well, I could hear her talking in the background today." His almond eyes fell over her violet ones; they tried to uncover the mask... tried to unlock the pain. "But... I've never heard nor seen your father....

"Where is he...?"

Rika felt her throat shrivel up like a desert. What... was he asking? Her mouth moved... then shut. Her eyes froze over. "It doesn't matter."

Takato felt a boulder fall where he had tried to get through to her. Just as he thought... he wouldn't be able to go that way.... He just wished that he could have... because he wanted her pain to be gone.... "Sorry...," he rasped. He was sorry a lot, lately.... With a sigh, he began to swing his feet lightly; they were almost long enough to reach the dirt below.

He was... sorry? Sorry?! "Whatever," Rika hissed, turning away. He'd leave soon... hopefully. 'So,' cooed a voice inside her head, 'he tells you his secrets, and you tell him nothing?' He had no right to know about her yet! The strange voice hushed... and faded away. For the better... at least to her.

It was silent now.... Rika felt goose bumps rise on her arms. Stupid fall; it was always messing with the weather! Still, it wasn't that cold out. Why was she blaming the wind when there wasn't really any?

All of a sudden, she... wanted to tell him. But... why? Was it because he had asked her so kindly? Was it because she felt guilty for scolding at him for no reason? Or... was it because...?

Was it because she had kept it locked within her own heart for so long...?

Her eyebrows narrowed. No. She was strong! She couldn't give into some stupid emotion! Besides, for all she knew, he could be trying to trick her! Yeah! She looked over to him. He merely sat there and watched his feet move. Up. Down. Up. Down. Feeling her hawk-like eyes on him, he turned.

This... wasn't a trick. At least... it couldn't be. Rika turned her head away from his sad gaze. Something started to burn against her cheeks. Was she... blushing? No! It... had to have been from embarrassment! She did NOT like that goggle-headed freak! Then... why did she want to tell him what had happened so long ago?

She couldn't tell him! She couldn't... could she...?

"He left us-- okay?!"

Takato snapped his head toward his dream girl. What had she...? Did she just say...? "What...?"

He wanted her to repeat herself?! It had been hard enough the first time! With a slight growl, she muttered, "He. Left. Us." There. That wasn't so hard. Feeling slightly better, she spat, "Alright?" Memories washed over her in that instant. She turned her head; her eyes lowered. That was why she didn't want to talk about it....

"Rika...." Takato was in a pure state of shock. He never had Rika answer him like that before! He highly doubted that she even answered her teachers that way! Had he... made a step into her barrier? Started to break it down? Made his way to--

A sniffle stopped him.

"Are... you okay?" he asked. Alright-- he was worried. Especially when he remembered his dream. If it were anywhere close to being true, then Rika hadn't cried for a long, long time.... He gently brought an arm up to her shoulder. Hey, if she needed someone to cry on, he'd be there!

Stupid memories... so painful. They hurt so, so, so much! Why did her parents break up? Why did they cause her so much pain? WHY?! Was it... because of her? Yes, yes... her and that 'stupid card game.'

Feeling Takato's touch, she stiffened. Him. He was the one who brought the pain back! How dare he! "Get off of me!" she growled, hand coming up and wiping the strewn tear. No more crying... she had vowed to that a long time ago. "Leave," she ordered. Right now, she didn't even care if he never came back to visit! She hated those moments in her life! He had no right to make her feel that pain again!

Takato felt a small smile form. She was remembering... wasn't she? Were they that painful? He nodded. "Okay... but can I come back tomorrow?" Yes, he was asking for once. He... wanted to see her more, now, but decided that he would not push her if she didn't want to be friends. Maybe... maybe she would tell him soon.... Oh, he hoped so.

Tomorrow? No. She didn't want to see him! But... he had been there to comfort her... to listen... to be a friend.... "If... you want," she whispered, giving in. If he wanted to get to know her that bad, then... maybe they could talk.

And for once, maybe he would be the one to listen.

~*~

"Have you found our dreamer yet?"

Mr. Wong looked up. He had been there too long! He missed his four children and his wife.... "No, not yet."

"Sir," muttered a woman sitting in a seat behind the blue haired man, "there are millions of people out there.... It will take us longer than one week to trace it." The man in front nodded. Sighing, she put her headphones back on to listen to the different waves. Yes... millions upon millions of people... and millions upon millions of waves.

He walked into his office and over to the wall-like window. It was turning dark out.... "Soon... soon I'll have made your dream come true," he whispered, moving over and picking up a small picture frame. "And soon you can be happy once more....

"In order to do so, we must first locate the dreamer...."

~*~

A/N: I live!!!! My computer lives!!! Sorry... it's just that my computer has been... *a-hem* 'sick' for a while, if you know what I'm saying. Please don't get mad if this seems kind of rushed, but I had to get it done! I had a deadline! (Actually, I missed every single one I set, so....) By the way, Rukato anyone? Expect a LOT more soon! (You know, like, the next chapter, maybe?) *Sighs* I don't feel like typing a long a/n today.... All I'd like to know is what Henry's other sibling's (and parent's) names are.... (Isn't Rika's mom named Makino [wow... that's the Jap. last name!] in the English version? What about her grandma?) Also, I want to hear your guesses! Who is this mysterious man? What is his intentions? Kukuku... only I know those answers! Thanks for all the reviews, mina-chan! Here's the preview for the next chapter!

Fated: Part Four

Cry

"Where have you been lately, Chumly?" Kazu whined. He missed having another butt to kick in Digimon, especially when Henry usually wiped him out most of the time!

Takato felt himself sweat lightly. Should he tell them...? "Well, ya know.... With my parents owning a bakery and all, they DO need help... at times." Of course... a fifth grader working with dough. How believable was that?

Jeri stared at her friend for a moment. He was lying-- she knew it. He wasn't looking anyone in the eye. And it wasn't like he could hide it all that well.... She giggled. "I believe you, Takato!" Oh well... he had his reasons. He didn't have to tell anyone right now if he didn't want to!

"Err... yeah...," he mumbled, feeling a blush awaken. Slowly-- very, very slowly-- he was getting over Jeri. All he felt now was a really close friendship... although a small piece of that crush still crawled around inside of him. It's like when you're sick, really. You have those bacteria and germs in your body from the illness; when you get better, the dead parts just sorta float around inside of you still. That's how you keep from getting stuff like chickenpox again....

Kenta, who had been cleaning his glasses, finally looked out at the scene. His head slumped slightly. In school or out of school-- it didn't matter. Takato liked Jeri! At least... he thought; Takato had been acting less nervous around her nowadays... almost like a brother to a sister.... Then again, life was confusing... half of the time he didn't even understand his own! "Hey, guys? Are we still going to Henry's after school today?"

"I guess. I never re--"

Chk. Chk. Chk. Chk.

"Good morning, class," Ms. Isaji greeted. Not very good for her, though.... She hadn't been able to sleep and taking NiQuil at midnight did not help! And with her job as a teacher.... "Please pull out last night's homework on...."