Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Home Sweet Home ❯ One-Shot

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaim: Not mine. Sue, and I'll put you on the telemarketing lists.

A/N: Unbeta'd piece of angst. Shame on me. Assumes Wizardmon and Gatomon had some sort of relationship before they appeared in the show. Title's supposed to be ironic. *coughs*



Gatomon hadn't expected the cave to be here.

After the battles were over and the Digiworld remade, some of the cities had remained. But the places which were no longer in use hadn't reappeared. It made sense that their data would be recycled, rather than being left to rot.

Perhaps more surprising, the contents of the cave were intact, untouched by either the reconfiguration process or vandals.

A bed in the corner, lined with worn blankets she knew to be soft as a whisper. A natural fireplace on the other side of the cavern, with some basic cooking implements. As many books as could reasonably be scavenged in this remote area - books which had been read nearly to pieces. A table and two chairs, the second of which had appeared shortly after she'd started visiting.

Wizardmon's home. During the early days of his reign, Myotismon had cared little what his followers did in their free time, so long as they remained loyal to him. When he hadn't been on duty, Wizardmon could be found holed up here.

Presuming he wanted you to find him.

A closer look told Gatomon she wasn't the first visitor after all. The books were beginning to mildew, and dust was piling up on all the surfaces.

These were the facts which shattered her illusions, driving home the harsh point that yes, Wizardmon was truly gone. Just for a moment, she'd allowed herself to see his scant belongings and pretend he still lived.

But he'd *always* known when she wanted to see him. He'd always been waiting for her, his book put aside and food waiting.

The fire hadn't burned here since Myotismon's paranoia had led him to insist his minions live in his castle. The cave was cold and dank, not the cozy little home she remembered.

As if she needed more proof, he'd never have allowed his books to get in such horrible shape. In a spurt of self-hatred, she fully entered the cave.

Neglected. His home had the air of a place forgotten and abandoned. No one else knew it was here, and certainly no one else cared it had once been the home of one of the finest Digimon to ever grace the Digital world.

To be perfectly honest, it had very nearly been her home too.

She paused by the table, claws drawing idle patterns in the dust. Moving closer to the books, then past, to the bed in the corner. The blankets, shelter to their single night, smelled musty and old.

Not crying, not yet, she turned and walked out. It was only a matter of time, wasn't it? Eventually some other Digimon would discover the cave, and perhaps turn it into a home of their own. She really should take any mementos she wanted, and leave the rest there.

Gatomon had always had a possessive streak.

Moments later, the landslide scared the wits out of all within hearing distance. Gatomon surveyed her work only long enough to make sure no holes remained, then left. It would be a very long time before she thought of Wizardmon again, for her past was now buried as surely as the cave.