Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ I can Dream ❯ Phone calls at One am ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
I Can Dream: Phone Calls at One in the Morning

Don't own Digimon

Required reading: I wish I knew, the story that came before this
Icy Violets: The story of Joe and Matt's break up and how Matt ended up boinking Ken.
I can't remember the URL's, but they are all on my profile.

Warning, if you've got a problem with Daisuke being submissive, tortured (emotionally), and not at all like he was in the show, I wouldn't suggest this story for you. Someone told me they didn't like that but

Takesuke, Yamaken, Taishiro, and Jyouori, focuses on all couples, but is still mostly Dai and Takeru.

It takes place about a year after Daisuke admits to being abused by his parents and leaves. He's sixteen now, but is still dealing. Ken's seventeen, Takeru will be seventeen, Matt and Tai are twenty, Izzy is eighteen going on nineteen, Iori is fifteen, going on sixteen, and Joe is twenty-two




Daisuke Motomiya sighed and sat up. He couldn't do this. He had tried, for Takeru's sake, and had wanted to be able to do this to make him happy, but he just couldn't do this. He slid out of bed and walked out quickly and quietly, so not to wake anybody up.

He went straight to the kitchen, calling a quite hello to his best friend who looked very pitiful, and picked up the phone.

It rang twice and he cursed his cowardice and was about to hang it up when a pleasantly familiar voice picked up, sounding irritated and thick with sleep.

"Hello?"

"Hey."

"Oh, you, hold up." The voice went away then came back. "It's one in the morning you know."

"I can tell time Matt." Daisuke said, rolling his eyes. "Thanks though."

"Anything for my little brothers boyfriend." Yamato, still better known as Matt, said, not sounding as if he meant it. "Hey, Ken's still up isn't he?"

Daisuke glanced over his shoulder at Ken, who had a case of insomnia and was watching infomercials, again. Third night in a row, second time this month.

"No."

"Daisuke." Matt growled.

"I'm serious, Ken is not here. What I have in the living room is a zombie whose watching Miss Cleo tell some chick who the father of her child is." Daisuke said matter of factly, ignoring the dirty look Ken shot him. "Do you want to talk to the zombie?"

"Yes."

"Call the other line." Daisuke laughed. He could almost see Matt's exasperated look, but the older man didn't get a chance to retort because someone took the phone.

"Matt, get lost! Go…home. Don't you have a place? I could have sworn you have a- Daisuke are you okay?"

Daisuke sighed and leaned against the wall. He hated to worry Takeru, but he did it anyway, just by acting as helpless as he did. He was such a baby.

"I'm fine."

"Sure you are. Now tell me what's wrong." Takeru sounded like he had been waiting for Daisuke to call him. Then again he probably had been.

"I'm lonely." Daisuke muttered.

"Aww." Ken called teasingly. "Hi Takeru."

"Tell Ken I said hi." Takeru was laughing.

"He said go to hell." Daisuke said, glaring at Ken. "Why don't you go call your blond idiot and leave me alone?"

"I thought you were lonely." Ken said.

"Not that kind of lonely." Daisuke said, shaking his head. Ken shrugged and turned away from him and reached for the phone next to the couch.

Takeru was quite for a minute and Daisuke knew he was taking the phone back to his room. The slamming of a door confirmed Daisuke's thoughts.

"Can't sleep then?"

"No." Daisuke whined as he slid down the wall and sat on the floor. "I don't like sleeping alone."

Takeru made a noise of sympathy and Daisuke felt a little better, because he knew the blond meant it. Takeru had been really good about his…moods for the past year. Daisuke felt kind of guilty about it.

"I miss having you to cuddle with. You were nice to have around." Takeru admitted after a moment of silence. "Especially last winter. You are unbelievable warm."

"Is that the only thing you miss about me?" Daisuke asked, smiling.

"No, just what I miss about sharing the bed with you." Takeru chuckled. "I miss other stuff…I just can't remember what right now."

"Ha ha." Daisuke said humorlessly. "How long do we have to do this again?"

"Until I convince my mom that walking in on shirtless kissing is not a sign that we're doing…other things and that she doesn't need to banish you to Ken's house to help me maintain your innocence."

"Help you maintain my innocence?" Daisuke raised an eyebrow. "Why would you want to do that? And what about your innocence?"

"What innocence?" At Daisuke's silence Takeru's voice grew serious. "You know, there was a nice amount of time between figuring out I preferred boys and falling for you. Did you really think I was-"

"Maybe."

"Oh."

"Not a big deal though." Daisuke wanted to talk about something else. "You think you can stay the night tomorrow?"

"If my mom doesn't want me to turn into Ken, I think so."

"Speaking of Zombie boy, what's up with that?" Daisuke stuck his tongue out at Ken who glared at him.

"Oh that." Takeru giggled suddenly and Daisuke blinked. Okay, Takeru didn't and shouldn't giggle. It made Daisuke question his choice in supporters.

'Don't giggle, please."

"Sorry but…" Takeru put his hand over the phone for a moment and Daisuke could make out muffled laughter. Then Takeru was back, still laughing, but not in a creepy way. "Ken was getting kind of distracted at his soccer practices and in school and Matt came up with the solution of um…cutting Ken off for a little while…"

"Ah…I don't get how that works." Daisuke said, frowning. "I'm not getting any and I'm okay."

"Because you've never gotten any. Being a virgin and unwillingly celibate are two completely different things." Takeru snickered at the thought of zombie Ken. Not that Matt was doing much better. He was suddenly mister helpful older brother, and since he was almost seventeen, it wasn't exactly appreciated.

He did not need help figuring out how to keep Daisuke from being loud when they messed around. He rather liked Daisuke being loud.

"I guess you would know." Daisuke said softly.

"I'm not unwillingly celibate, I'm perfectly willing, thank you very much." Takeru said, not wanting to go back to the subject of his lack of innocence, as it were.

"I'm not." Daisuke said.

"I don't blame you." Takeru said. "I am pretty damn sexy."

"Uhh…Takeru…love…god…" 'Mm…fighting losing battle against sarcasm here' "Did you forget to take your medicine today?"

"Are you trying to say something?" Takeru asked.

"Lets just say Da Nile ain't just a river in Egypt, kay?"

Takeru whistled. "Wow, looks like you do more then stare at the back of my head in class."

"…Who said I was staring at your head?" Daisuke wondered. Why would he stare at the back of anybody's head? Not that he didn't like Takeru's hair, it was rather nice. It was a little on the long side, a mass of golden silk that was nice to run his hands through at night, as well as to bury his face in. It smelled like apples, he refused to be criticized for liking the way it smelled.

"What else…you can't be…I'm sitting down!"

"I have a vivid imagination." Daisuke smiled. "And I did get to watch you parade around naked for the better part of a year while you got ready for school."

Takeru muttered what sounded like you were supposed to be asleep and Daisuke laughed and closed his eyes. If he couldn't be with Takeru then thank whatever gods there were for the phone because he'd be doing the zombie thing with Ken without it

"Hey Dai."

"Yeah?"

"Feeling better?"

"Yeah."

"Ready for bed?"

"Yeah."

"See you tomorrow then. Around four?"

"Yeah."

"You owe me dinner."

"Yeah."

"Dork."

"Yeah?"

Takeru laughed. "Good night Dai. And don't say Yeah."

"Good night Takeru."

There was a soft click in response. He smiled and reached up to put the phone on the hook then rose to his feet, feeling a lot better. He walked down the hall and waved at Ken who was talking to Matt in hushed tones about something. Ken nodded in response and smiled.

He turned on the light in his room for a moment to make sure there was nothing he could trip over then walked over to his bed and crawled in. He was still alone and would feel a lot better if a certain blond was there, but it wasn't quite as bad and he would be able to sleep at the very least.

He still felt a little guilty for waking Takeru this late at night because he couldn't sleep with out someone watching over him, and he still felt like helpless child, but it was better that then a lot of other things he had felt in his life time.

He was lucky to have Takeru, even if he insisted on making jokes about all of his quirks. It kept things from getting too unreal between them.

Daisuke would have fallen asleep, but something dark was hanging over him. He wasn't sure what though.


Ken shrugged and reached for the telephone next to the couch. He dialed Matt's cell phone and waited semi patiently, trying not to listen to Daisuke and Takeru's conversation.

That was rather impolite.

"Ken?"

"Yes." Ken lay back on the couch. "Were you asleep?"

"Before your annoying best friend called, yeah I was." Matt stifled a yawn. "Not sleeping tonight?"

"No. Extra energy can't sleep. I feel like I've downed three cups of coffee." Ken shifted a little and groaned. He was tired but at the same time he was too awake to even seriously consider going to sleep. "I hope you're happy."

"At least you aren't following Takeru around all day and offering to do everything from his chores to his homework." Matt countered. "This isn't exactly my idea of fun."

"So we agree not seeing each other is a stupid thing?" Ken asked hopefully.

"No." Ken sighed and waited for the speech. "It's idiotic, but you're doing your homework aren't you?"

"…"

"And you're awake in class."

"I'm awake for everything." Ken retorted. "I haven't slept in three days."

"It's your own fault." Matt said finally.

"Pardon?"

"It's your fault."

"How is it my fault that you've decided we shouldn't see each other, ever."

"Not ever. Just not during the week or when you have soccer practice."

"Dame difference." Ken said, pouting at the wall. "And, to be honest, I do not like soccer that much. I don't like anything that much…well except you, and that was before you lost whatever since you might have had."

"Are you saying you don't like me?"

"…How is this my fault?"

"You pushed the sex thing."

"I did not!" Ken smiled. "I'm much to pure, innocent, and…chaste, to push anything."

"Liar." Matt sounded amused.

"I don't lie." Ken insisted.

"Need I remind you that you were once the most evil kid in the world?"

"I was brainwashed." Ken protested. He had finally accepted that and didn't mind being teased about it, as long as no one accused him of acting that way. The very thought made him sick.

"Uh hu."

"Be quiet." Ken laughed and glanced at the TV. "We get next Friday off and there's no practice this weekend, and I'll do my homework on Thursday."

"Just what are you suggesting?" Matt asked

Ken smirked. "If you can't figure it out on your own after being with me for almost eight months you are drifting into stereotype land."

"Oh?"

"Uh hu."

"Alright." Matt laughed. "We can hang out this weekend and leave Daisuke and Takeru to their own devices."

"To do what?" Ken asked. "Stare at each other wistfully? I don't know why they don't get it over with. They're repression is giving *me* a case of bl-"

"Uhh…when did you become so…wrong and or bad?"

Ken smiled. "Look at who I hang around with. Daisuke, whose perverseness is rivaled only by Takeru and Tai's. And you like it when I talk-"

"Stop now, please." Matt said loudly. "I'm suddenly feeling bad for dating one of my brother's best friends."

"Now you feel bad?" Ken asked, disbelief obvious. "Isn't it a little late for that?"

"Well, yeah, but it's the thought that counts."

Ken chuckled then let his tone drop to a whisper. "I talked to Jun today."

"Why?"

"The Motomiya's are still trying to get Daisuke back." Ken tried not to let on how frustrated he was, least he start…acting Kaizer like. That and the fact Daisuke seemed to pick up on negative emotions and they tended to scare him to the point of crying and locking himself in his room until Takeru or Jun could talk him out. "They decided to take the legal approach."

"That's smart." Matt said sarcastically. "Then it can get out that they abused their son all his life and they can go to jail. Brilliant."

"They aren't stupid you know." Ken ran a hand through his dark blue almost black hair and glanced up at Daisuke was sitting on the kitchen floor, twisting the phone cord around his fist. "If they could do what they did to Dai, and I don't just mean physically, if they could break him down like they did, and drive him to do the things he did to himself, then they can't be stupid. Not to give them any kind of credit-"

"Of course."

"But they aren't just going to do this and leave it to chance like that." He smiled ruefully. "I've been evil, I know these things."

"But none of your plans worked." Matt pointed out. Ken's eye twitched.

"Thanks Matt." His boyfriend laughed and he shook his head. "But, despite that, they still did something the Kaizer at his best couldn't hope to do."

"What's that?"

"They got to Daisuke. The closest I got to doing that got me shoved down a hill and the other time he got the egg of friendship, because he's a stubborn guy." Ken sighed. "But they did it and did it well. He still won't let me touch him, and my mother hates the way he flinches when she gets close or tries to touch him. He's like another son to her and he won't let me tell her what happened. He's still not okay."

"Mom's noticed it too. But…what can we do except wait?" Matt felt helpless again; an emotion that was becoming familiar as far as Daisuke was concerned. Not that the redhead did it on purpose, it was his parents and what they had done to him that had everyone going crazy trying to undue the damage they had managed to do.

But the only ones he let close were Takeru and recently Jun, who had moved out of her parents home as soon as she got the whole story and was still beating herself up for not seeing it. Matt kind of felt it served her right. How could she not have noticed what was going on in the room next to hers?

The walls weren't that thick.

But it wasn't worth his anger or time anymore, it was over with in that aspect.

"Get our Digimon and kill his parents? Wait no, I don't mean that…"

"Yes, you do, and yes it's a good idea, but Daisuke would throw a fit and then Takeru would try to kill us, and it's not really worth it."

"Now who's lying?" Ken asked.

"…okay, maybe it would be worth it." Matt laughed humorlessly. "Still can't do it. It isn't what the digimon are for, it's not what we do."

"But they could be viral."

"Ken."

"Fine." He looked up again in time to see Daisuke heading back to his room. The redhead waved and Ken nodded and smiled gently.

Once upon a time he had really liked Daisuke, probably loved him, and would have done anything for him. But Daisuke had Takeru and he was more then happy with Matt, but that urge to do anything for him and hurt anybody who touched him was still there.

Daisuke's parents had no idea how lucky they were to have Daisuke for a son, because if the redhead weren't so insistent on nothing happening to his parents Ken and the other digidestined would have taken care of them long ago.

"Hey, Ken, Takeru said check on Daisuke before you got to bed for him." Matt said, breaking into his thoughts.

"I do it every night anyway." Ken said, nodding even though there was no one to see him. "Tell Takeru."

Matt's voice was slightly muffled as he talked to his brother, but the crash that followed was very clear. Then Takeru's voice and the slamming of a door a few seconds later.

"Hope mom wasn't to fond of that vase." Matt said after a minute of silence. "If they try this, he'll kill them." There was no question there, only absolutely and total certainty in Matt's voice and it was disturbing and unbelievable, yet true at the same time.

"He'd have to get them before I did." Ken muttered then laughed. "I'm not evil."

"I don't think so." Matt said softly, prepared for one of Ken's moods. He was better, it had been a few years, and he accepted the teasing, but lately, every since the problems with Daisuke had gotten worse and Daisuke had started to stay with him, Ken wasn't as good as he used to be.

Because now he had dark feelings and wanted nothing more then to do something horrible to the Motomiyas and he hated the feeling and couldn't get over it.

He couldn't quite grasp that they were at least thirteen other people who felt that same way.

"You wouldn't." Ken smiled despite himself. "I'll talk to you later. I'm kind of tired."

"Good night."

Ken hit the off button then set the phone down. He shut off the TV then walked down the hall and stopped outside of the spare room, turned bedroom. Daisuke had started out in his room, but after a week he had demanded to move, because he kept Ken awake by not sleeping. Not that it helped, Ken still didn't sleep unless he was sure Daisuke was.

He pushed to door open a crack and found Daisuke sitting on his bed, a perplexed expression on his face, but the moment he laid eyes on Ken it changed to realization and fear and he scooted away a little bit. Not a good thing.

So much for keeping his negative emotions to himself.

"Sorry Dai." Ken whispered, just loud enough for his friend to hear.

"You're mad." Daisuke said, staring at him with wide eyes. Maybe it was childish, but he couldn't take it when people got mad. "At me?"

"Of course not." Ken said quickly. "Never at you. Matt was…being an idiot again."

"Oh." Daisuke visibly relaxed some. "Okay."

"Goodnight." Ken said, smiling. "Go to sleep."

Daisuke nodded and reached for the lamp on the desk and turned it off. He heard the door click shut and sighed, feeling better again.

He was asleep before Ken had changed into his nightclothes and came to check on him again.



Okay, this was supposed to be a short chapter…but it isn't…and it was supposed to be fluff between my two favorite parings and it is, but there is still angst…I can't win!

R&R if you want more.