Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Koushirou's Search! ❯ Koushirou's Search! ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hi again everyone. I don't foresee this chapter having too many notes or changes. Anyway, for this chapter, Koushirou and Mimi finally head to Hikarigaoka. Not much I can say beyond that. Oh yeah, the whole Koumi/Mishirou stuff…who knows what'll happen. Oh yeah, I did add in for this story so far, which I don't think I mentioned, is that Koushirou wants to go to the party Sora is throwing (but he just doesn't see it as a priority) and also have that Mimi wants the both of them to go, not just her, like I wrote originally. In the original version, it probably came across that she could've cared less if Koushirou wanted to go or not.
 
Now, as always, I do not own anything dealing with the Digimon series or franchise. Bandai and Toei have that honor, and as a reminder, here are the ages of the characters once again:
 
Jou: 16-17 (Year 10-11; First/second year of High School)
Taichi/Sora/Yamato: 15-16 (Year 09-10; Last year of Junior High School/First year of high school)
Koushirou/Mimi: 14-15 (Year 08-09; Second/Last year of Junior High School)
Miyako: 13-14 (Year 07-08; First/second year of Junior High School)
Takeru/Hikari/Daisuke/Ken: 12 (Year 06; Final year of Elementary/First year of Junior High School)
Iori: 10-11 (Year 04-05)
 
Chapter 09: Koushirou's Search!
 
It was finally March 14, the day of the Hikarigaoka trip. A slightly unenthusiastic Mimi was waiting around for her redheaded companion in front of the stairway which led to Daiba Station, which was known for having an elevated train. It took a while for Mimi to get there, given where its location was, but she managed to get there at 9:00 sharp. Koushirou had wanted to head out early.
 
`Maybe if we hurry and do whatever it is he has to do, we'll get back in time for the party! I bet if Taichi-san would have been the one to throw it, he would have tried to have it at night someplace instead of the afternoon.' She started to pace back and forth in front of the station, growing slightly annoyed, as it was a bit chilly out. She walked amidst the crowd up the stairs and walked to the end of the tunnel, right before the area where one could by one's ticket. It was slightly warmer there, and didn't have as much of a breeze. “Where in the world is he!” she grumbled while tapping her foot. She looked down at her watch to see that it was nearly 9:30. “I could be sleeping right now!”
 
Right at that moment, Koushirou showed up looking for his friend. He didn't see her at the front, and entered the station with a large group of people. The station was terribly crowded, so he didn't see Mimi at the end of the tunnel right away and actually walked past her. Mimi noticed Koushirou from where she was and saw that he was wearing a green jacket, a red and grey long-sleeved shirt, grey pants, and black sneakers. What really caught her eye, though, was his signature red hair. She realized that he obviously hadn't seen her, so she did her best to get his attention.
 
“Koushirou!! Koushirou-kun!” she called while jumping up and down, waving her arms wildly as best she could. “I'm over here! Koushirou-kun!!”
 
Hearing his name, vaguely, he turned to see the elegant girl jumping, and made his way over to her. Mimi was dressed very nicely, which Koushirou couldn't help but notice. Her hair seemed wavier than usual, with some of it tied back, while the rest hung loosely down her back, past her shoulders. She was wearing a dark-red skirt, a close-fitting, short-sleeved yellow blouse, a white jacket, with a big, matching handbag, and a pair of expensive looking brown boots. This was definitely flashy for the girl now-a-days. She dressed more casually compared to when she was younger and realized that one's internal beauty was just as important as one's outer beauty, if not more. She normally wore jeans and midriff shirts, or if she did decide to wear skirts or dresses outside of school, which was more than when she would wear pants or jeans, they weren't too dressy looking.
 
Mimi had definitely matured in that sense and wasn't so self absorbed when it came to outer beauty or what everyone else thought of her, and her choice of friends showed that. Some of her peers thought of her as a bit strange since she was such good friends with Koushirou. She was still pretty popular, but she was never looked down upon for her choice of friends who weren't particularly with the “in” crowd. Mimi was friendly with pretty much everyone. Another reason why her popularity probably never waned was more than likely due to the fact that she was good friends with the local celebrity, Yamato, and he was also friends with Koushirou. This was probably also another reason why Koushirou was never bothered or bullied. “If Ishida thinks he's cool, then he must be all right”, most would assume.
 
“H-hello, Mimi-san. I-I'm very sorry for being late. R-ready to go?” the boy asked hesitantly, once again distracted by the girl's beauty.
 
“Yeah, sure, I guess so,” she responded simply.
 
“Oh-okay.” Koushirou looked away from Mimi quickly and took out a train schedule. “We-we're going to have to go by way of the Toei Oedo line, which will be able to take us all the way to Hikarigaoka-eki (Hikarigaoka Station), which is right after the stop at Nerima Kasugachou-eki, but since we're at this station, which is on the Yurikamome line, we'll definitely have to transfer over one time to catch a train on the Toei Oedo line at Shiodome-eki and then…”
 
Mimi tuned Koushirou out. Right now, she was questioning herself as to why she agreed to such a thing in the first place, going to Hikarigaoka. For once in her life, her nosiness, which was definitely inherited from her mother, had gotten her into a situation she'd rather not have to deal with, as she would've preferred to do something else. She wanted to spend the morning getting ready for the party, or sleeping in at least. `I guess I could do a little bit of shopping while I'm there, like I told Chinatsu-chan. I always accessorize for parties.'
 
“Mimi-san?”
 
“Oh, um, sorry.”
 
“You don't have to come with me, and I would understand completely if you would rather spend the day doing whatever it is you would normally do on a day off.”
 
“Oh no you don't! You're not getting rid of me that easily. I'm going and that's final,” she told him. `Besides, I promised Miyako-chan that I would.'
 
“Whatever you say,” he sighed. “Let's go get our tickets.”
 
The two stepped back outside to go to the automated ticket kiosk, and bought their tickets. The price wasn't too high, given that they were both students. Once done, the two headed to their designated platform waited for the train and boarded it. It wasn't too crowded, despite the crowd in the station, so the two were able to find vacant seats beside one another. Mimi did notice, though, the amount young people on the train. Having only one free day a week was pretty stressful, and one thing Mimi missed about her time in America, aside from her friend Michael and the other Digidestined she'd met in America, was the school system, but only because the students there all over the country were granted both Saturday and Sunday off, as opposed to only some schools not meeting on Saturdays.
 
`Well, let's see…what places in Hikarigaoka are good for shopping?'
 
`I wonder where my biological family is now and why they put me up for adoption. What if I find out that they did so because they really didn't want me to begin with, and that my chances of reconciling are pretty much low? If that is the case, then I'll have no true place to belong…'
 
The two continued their ride in silence, drowned in their own thoughts: Mimi's thoughts being fun and playful, while Koushirou's were serious and somber. They made their transfer, just as Koushirou had explained they would need to do, but the two still seemed to keep quiet during the trip. The usual sociable Mimi wasn't too social because Koushirou wasn't making much of an effort to be social with her.
 
After what seemed like a lifetime to Mimi, the train finally stopped at Hikarigaoka Station. After both got off the train and exited the station, Mimi twirled and cheered. “We're finally here! I'm definitely hitting the mall or either one of the department stores! Hikarigaoka is known for having good places to shop.”
 
“The mall? The department stores?”
 
“Of course! Like I said, Hikarigaoka has some of the best places to shop here in Tokyo! Mama and I used to come here all the time whenever we wanted to do some shopping.”
 
“Whatever you say,” he shrugged.
 
The boy, to Mimi, came across as being a tad bit annoyed after mentioning she wanted to do some shopping. She hated to purposely upset or annoy anyone, as it wasn't her style to.
 
“I-I-I mean after we finish researching of course,” she added on quickly.
 
“Yeah, I guess that's okay,” he tediously replied.
 
`Way to go, Mimi,' the girl sarcastically scolded herself. “So, where are we going first?”
 
“To be honest, I'm not too sure yet.”
 
She didn't question him and just tagged along anyway. The two ended up riding a good ways on the bus, until Koushirou insisted on getting off and walking. He was going by the directions he had written down, but, unfortunately, he'd written them down wrong.
 
Riding and walking around Hikarigaoka was fun, at first, but it was now getting frustrating. Mimi was starting to grow a tad bit annoyed with Koushirou and his dragging her around, as they were back near the Hikarigaoka station.
 
First off, she really wanted for them to attend Sora's party, and she didn't get to do any type of shopping done. She was also growing hungry. It was nearly 12:00 and she hadn't eaten anything that morning before leaving to meet up with Koushirou.
 
“Koushirou, I'm getting hungry,” the girl unintentionally whined while holding her growling stomach. “We've been sightseeing all day! Couldn't we stop someplace to at least get something to snack on or something to drink?”
 
The redhead inadvertently ignored Mimi, pretty much, like that time where the pair of them, along with their Digimon partners, Tentomon and Palmon, were trapped in that ruin in the Digital World when they were children. By his ignoring her that particular time, she ran off and got herself lost in the temple's labyrinth with Koushirou's Tentomon by her side. He was so busy trying to figure out the mechanics of the strange place, that he ignored pretty much all around him. This was turning into another one of those times.
 
Koushirou-kun!!”
 
He continued to study the map he'd picked up earlier once he realized he was lost. Mimi wished he'd just go to a police-box and ask for directions to wherever it was he needed to go, but as usual, he was trying to do everything on his own.
 
“Are you ignoring me you computer-geek pipsqueak!”
 
Mimi had finally grown annoyed to the point of resorting to such a childish tactic like name-calling, especially “computer-geek pipsqueak”. It was a bit inaccurate due to the fact that he wasn't much of a pipsqueak anymore, as he was taller than she was, and he wasn't really a much of a geek. Even with all of that, Koushirou still managed to ignore her.
 
“Koushirou no baka! Baka, baka, baka, baka!!” she furiously shouted. She stormed off angrily, taking off in the opposite direction.
 
“Okay, I think I finally understand this,” Koushirou said, completely oblivious to Mimi's trying to get his attention. “I actually misread this and mixed up the city blocks. Pretty silly of me, huh?” When he didn't receive a response, he looked behind him to come to the realization that he had been talking to himself. “Mimi-san?” The only thing the boy saw were other people walking the streets by him going to various shops or outdoor vendors. `Where did she go?'
 
He started to walk around, calling out for the girl some more. After a while, he stopped to think for a moment. “Where would she go? When did she leave? Why did she leave?” He scratched his head in confusion as he tried to recall the last time he had spoken with her directly. `She did talk about shopping and wanting to eat or something. I should just leave her and go to that place by myself…' He sighed. “I can't leave her behind. It'd be rude, besides, I know Mimi-san pretty well, and I have an idea where she may have gone since she mentioned wanting to shop. I suppose I should head towards the IMA Hikarigaoka Shopping Center. I'm not too far from it according to the map, but where I have to go is closer! I can't just not go there! That information is much too vital to avoid!” He frowned slightly over having to go to such a place. He wasn't much of a shopper, unless it was for something specific. “I'm sorry, Mimi-san, I'll just have to look for you later…but, I should probably go anyway.”
 
A person nearby, who had just come from a nearby vending machine, overheard the redhead and frowned slightly at her own selfishness. `I shouldn't have stormed off, but I was hungry and thirsty and we've been lost all day. I feel like Ryoga from Ranma 1/2 or those three kids on that Pocket Monsters show!”
 
The girl saw Koushirou walk off, so she decided to follow behind him at a bit of a distance, which was easy to do as the walkways were pretty busy. Holding her bottled water, she continued following, curious as to what he was going to do and if he was really going to the shopping center, a place he wasn't fond of, just to look for her. She actually found the gesture commendable.
 
The walk lasted a long while, and Mimi continued her hidden pursuit of the boy who was definitely headed in the direction of the grand department store. She constantly glanced down at her watch. She saw that it was now nearly 13:00 (1:00), almost time for Sora's party. Koushirou only had one more block to go, but, he stopped abruptly at a big, plain looking building compared to the modern ones around it. Koushirou stared up at it. To Mimi, it almost looked as if he were debating with himself. In the front of the building, there was an area filled with young children playing.
 
The girl took a big gulp of her drink. `Why did he stop here? He's almost to the mall.' She tried to get a little closer, but not by much.
 
“I found it!”
 
`What did he find?' She looked up at the sign on the building. `Nerima Adoption Agency and Orphanage, Hikarigaoka branch. Why would he want to go in there?'
 
Author's Notes
 
Note 1: I'm not really making this up about Hikarigaoka being an ideal spot for shopping. The place does have quite a few shopping malls and department stores.
***
Note 2: Everything I used where Mimi got upset and left was from the original Digimon Adventure episode already mentioned. Mimi calling him a “Computer Geek Pipsqueak” was a dub addition, though, so, that's not original, of course. She yelled at him, “Koushirou-kun no baka!” when fed up with him, which pretty much translates to “Stupid Koushirou!” Out of those batch of episodes, this was one of my favorites, along with the one where the Bakemon were terrorizing Jou and Sora, and for the record, Jou wasn't going, “Bakemon loser your power”, but I guess that's as close as the dubbers could get. For the original, Jou was actually using a Shinto mantra chant to drive the Bakemon away.
 
Anyway, getting slightly back on topic, I liked the original episode much better than the dubbed one. One thing I liked in a general sense was that Koushirou was partnered up with Mimi's Palmon and Mimi was partnered up with Koushirou's Tentomon. I found it interesting how it was set up that way, and, to my knowledge, this wasn't done for any other characters (at the time). I also liked it better mainly because Koushirou came across as being a bit more concerned about Tentomon and Mimi when comparing him to how “Izzy” acted, imo. Also, when Tentomon was going on about something being wrong after Izzy stopped talking abruptly for the dub, originally, Koushirou was still talking to them and warning them of something else being in the maze with them. For that entire scene, Tentomon didn't speak at all because Koushirou was doing all of the talking. Here, it seemed as if Izzy didn't fully care too much whether they got out safely or not, whereas there, Koushirou was tossing out suggestions to help them more.
 
Another thing about that episode is dealing with Kentarumon (Centarumon). For the dub, Centarumon spoke throughout the episode when in pursuit to kill Koushirou and Mimi. Kentarumon for the original episode didn't speak until the Black Gear was removed. He didn't speak until he explained about the history behind the Digivices the children received. That was pretty much how it was with most of the Black Gear Digimon the children encountered for that arc. For instance, the episode where Gomamon evolved to Ikkakumon for the first time, they had encountered an Unimon. That Unimon didn't speak at all. The gear was just removed, and it flew away. Even when returning at the end of Adventure as one of the allies Mimi brought back, Unimon still didn't speak.
~*~*~*~*~*~
Fic Chapter Changes
 
First change, I actually named the station that they met at and I also mentioned the train-line needed for them to get to Nerima. I also added that they bought their tickets at the automated ticket kiosk in front of the station. I also described how Koushirou was dressed, where as originally, I didn't. Seems I always had trouble with describing male attire. Female characters can get away with accessorizing more. lol I also added that Mimi was carrying a handbag.
 
When Mimi was in thought, the next thing that came to mind was her wondering about who Hikari could've liked, and actually thought of Takeru, Daisuke, and Ken as being one of potential boys Hikari was crushing on. Of course, this would be pointless here given that I dropped Hikari from chapter 7.
 
I gave a name of the shopping center/mall that Koushirou is headed to in search of Mimi. Originally, I just said that he headed towards the mall.
 
Originally, I had Mimi sipping her drink while walking. In Japan, this is considered rude. This is why I changed that Mimi was holding her drink and following behind Koushirou, as supposed to sipping on her drink while following him and also why I only had her drink when stopped, as that's more acceptable, but who knows if people actually follow the rule. It's like how one isn't supposed to ride his/her bike while holding an umbrella, and ironically, lots of people still do it. Also, there aren't many places to toss out one's trash, which is probably why it's more so common not to eat or drink while walking. For instance, I'm sure it's common for one to drink one's canned beverage if from a vending machine at the vending machine, as there's a trash bin right next to it.
 
When I originally wrote this story, as I mentioned, it was between 2001 and 2002, and if I'm remembering right, this was a 2001 chapter. At the time that this story takes place the traveling group wouldn't have been `three' as the character of Kasumi (Misty) was dropped as a main character in 2002 (in Japan). During this time, Pokemon Advanced Generation would've been airing and the group would've been extended to four (as Takeshi stayed, and the characters of Haruka and Masato were added). I didn't even know her character was gone until years later. I never figured they would've permanently dropped a character.