Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Koushirou's Search! ❯ Questions & Answers... ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hi again everyone. Now Mimi knows Koushirou's secret of his being adopted! Pretty interesting, eh? Now, for this chapter, Koushirou will end up learning more about his biological parents, but will it be enough to satisfy his curiosity? You'll see. For this chapter, just like the previous two, there probably won't be too many changes or author's notes. Also, expect to see the other Chosen Children and their friends next chapter. I would explain more, but I'll explain more about it later once you get there.
 
Now, as always, I do not own anything dealing with the Digimon series or franchise. Bandai and Toei have that honor, and as a reminder, here are the ages of the characters once again:
 
Jou: 16-17 (Year 10-11; First/second year of High School)
Taichi/Sora/Yamato: 15-16 (Year 09-10; Last year of Junior High School/First year of high school)
Koushirou/Mimi: 14-15 (Year 08-09; Second/Last year of Junior High School)
Miyako: 13-14 (Year 07-08; First/second year of Junior High School)
Takeru/Hikari/Daisuke/Ken: 12 (Year 06; Final year of Elementary/First year of Junior High School)
Iori: 10-11 (Year 04-05)
 
Chapter 11: Questions & Answers…
 
“So, you are curious about that adoption,” she muttered while handing back Koushirou's identification. “What have they told you?”
 
Koushirou lowered his head. “Nothing. They do not know that I know.”
 
“Oh.”
 
“I want to find my real parents. I feel that it is time I meet them face to face…”
****
`Real parents!?! Koushirou's adopted?!?' A realization then came to her. `I wonder if this is why he's been acting so strange lately.'
****
“Mr. Izumi, would you like to go someplace so that we may talk more thoroughly?”
 
“Yes, I would,” he nodded resolutely. “I've found out a couple of things about myself that I would like to be verified.”
 
“Could one of those things concern your place of birth?” He nodded again. “There are a couple of conference rooms here, we could go there.”
 
Koushirou was ready to take the older woman up on her offer, but didn't move from his spot. “Well, I have a bit of a situation here. I was really on my way to the shopping district nearby to look for my friend and I came across here by coincidence…somewhat,” he mumbled.
 
“Hmm, please tell me what this gir….er…friend looks like. Describe your friend.”
 
“Well, she's a little shorter than I am, has long light-brown hair and was wearing some of it tied up, I think, she was wearing a skirt, but I don't remember the color right off…oh, she was carrying around a big white hand-bag…but that doesn't help much since most girls carry those things around…”
 
“I'm sure that you will find your friend as soon as she wants to be found.”
****
`I get the gist that that woman knows I'm here. She did keep glancing back here earlier. They've also gotten too quiet and I can't hear them as well anymore.' She stepped from behind the tall plant. `I guess I've been spying long enough.' The girl started to walk towards Koushirou…
****
“What do you mean?”
 
The woman leaned over the counter and whispered, “Look behind you.”
 
“Look behind me?” he asked, puzzled.
 
She nodded to him and sat back in her seat. She was grinning widely. Koushirou turned around to see the girl he had just described standing a little ways in front of him now. “Mimi-san!”
 
“Hey there, Koushirou,” she said while walking up beside him, his eyes glued to her. “How's it going?”
 
`She's being so casual,' the boy noted. “How long have you been here?”
 
“She's been here for a while. I noticed her shortly after you came in, but didn't say anything given what I was originally thinking.”
 
“Wow, you were here the entire time,” said Koushirou in astonishment.
 
“Y-yeah, I'm sorry I didn't say anything earlier.”
 
“Forget about it.” He sighed, and grew quiet. “So, I suppose you heard…”
 
She nodded. “You came to Hikarigaoka to find out more about your birth parents.”
 
“Yeah…”
 
“If you really want that information, we could go to one of the vacant rooms, and I can gather it for you.”
 
“I would really appreciate that, Mitsuishi-san.”
 
The woman spoke with the other two at the counter with her, to let them know that she was going to work with a technical former client. Even though she could have had one of them do so, as it was obvious that Mrs. Mitsuishi was the most experienced worker there, she wanted to deal with Koushirou's case. She rose from her seat behind the counter to join Koushirou. “Okay, let's go. It's right this way.”
 
The redhead followed behind the woman, while Mimi watched them off. Koushirou soon realized that he was the only one following Mrs. Mitsuishi and that a certain karaoke-loving girl wasn't by his side. He stopped in his tracks. “Mitsuishi-san, please wait a moment.” He turned back towards Mimi. “Mimi-san, you're my partner, so you should probably come along with me.” He gave the girl a look, wondering, `What does she really think of me now that she knows?'
 
“Koushirou-kun…”
 
The girl nodded awkwardly. She wasn't sure if she should hear what Mrs. Mitsuishi had to say or not, and figured that the information was probably highly confidential. She walked up beside Koushirou and gave him a half smile. He turned his head quickly. “L-let's go, Mimi-san. We're ready, Mitsuishi-san.”
 
She led them to her office as opposed to one of the vacant rooms she mentioned. It consisted of a desk, which held a computer with a flat-screen monitor, two seats in front of that desk, a window, with the blinds closed, and the lights of the room were a bit dim. Mrs. Mitsuishi left them both to retrieve all the files they had on Koushirou's adoption.
 
During their short time there, Mimi was incredibly nervous and neither one of them spoke. She had a multitude of questions for Koushirou, but she felt that it might offend him in some way, especially the generic, “What is it like to be adopted?” question. Another question that racked her mind was how he had found out about his adoption in the first place if neither of his parents had ever mentioned it to him.
 
Mrs. Mitsuishi returned with a folder filled with different papers. She took a seat behind her desk, and slipped on a pair of glasses. She then started to look through the folder.
 
“After a while, I started to remember your case a bit more. It was one of the ones I handled myself. The only reason I remember your case is because you were one of the fastest cases I ever dealt with and was also one of my firsts when I started working here full time.”
 
“Excuse me?”
 
“In other words, it didn't take us too long to find a couple that was willing to take you in.”
 
“So, what happened? Is there any way I can find my real family?” he asked. He then muttered, “The sooner, the better. . .
 
“Is there something the matter?”
 
“No, it's just that our place is going to be a bit crowded in about a year, and I would like to contact my birth parents just to see what they are like.”
****
`The baby! He's doing this because of the baby! He isn't all that fond over the addition his family is going to get. Could he actually be…jealous?'
****
“That is going to be difficult to do.”
 
“Well, why did my birth parents put me up for adoption? Was I born to an unwed mother who couldn't take care of me or brought shame to her family because of it and was threatened to be disowned or disinherited by them? Did the two of them dislike the idea of becoming parents and preferred to leave me in an orphanage than to actually try to care for me? Please tell me. I have a right to at least know of that and of my true place of birth as well as the names of my birth parents. Please, Mitsuishi-san,” he pleaded. Seeing Koushirou like this was painful to Mimi.
 
Mrs. Mitsuishi was reluctant to answer these questions, as she looked over in Mimi's direction. Mimi got the hint and started to stand.
 
Without realizing it, Koushirou grabbed the girl's arm, but didn't look her way. “No, wait! I want her to stay. She's my partner through all of this,” he glanced over at her, and quickly let go of her arm, “and my…friend…”
 
“Alright, if you insist.” She ran her fingers through her short, stringy blonde hair while Mimi retook her seat.
****
`That was very nice of him to insist that I stay. I'm even gladder that he genuinely sees me as a friend. It's like he's opening up more and finally letting me in to share something so personal.' Mimi was growing a bit overwhelmed, and felt like crying, but held back. `Thank you, Koushirou. I'm now curious as to what his real family is like. I wonder if they like computers a lot too.'
****
“Okay, let's continue on then. Now, your parents were married in 1987, but your mother kept her maiden name. Seems, that they had been together for a long time before marrying and unless you can manage to find people who were close friends to the two, then they could probably tell you why your mother kept her maiden name, but I suppose it's not any of our business or all that relevant.”
 
“No, it really isn't…” he stated bluntly.
 
“Anyway, I actually remember them.”
 
“Wait, are you saying that you knew my birth parents on a non-professional level?”
 
“In a way, but I didn't know them personally. I just knew of them, for the most part. I used to be an English Language Teacher at their university. I was just starting out here in Japan. I was in my late 20s at the time.”
****
`Wow, she must be older than she looks…'
****
“Your father was a very smart individual and was very talented when it came to mathematics and technological related things.” She laughed a bit. “All of that was way over my head. In my home country, I was certified to only teach math (and other subjects) on the elementary school level, English Literature at the secondary level, and English Language for all levels internationally. If I also remember correctly, your father seemed to be fairly well-known amongst his peers. I remember his constantly being invited for karaoke and the like.”
 
`Popular, eh? That's the complete opposite of me. I may be known, but not popular.'
 
“You know, now that I look at you, you seem to resemble your father a little bit. I don't know how I missed it! I can't put my finger on it exactly, I think it's your eyes, but there is something about you that reminds me of your father, but I'd have to say you're a clone of your mother from what I remember of her. You seem to have a lot of her features. Well, never mind that. I'll continue. Both your mother and your father must have met during their time at *Toudai, but I'm not too sure.”
 
“Tokyo U?” the two asked in surprise.
 
“Yes, one of the most well-known schools internationally, as well as one of the most difficult schools to get into. I've translated the entrance exams for Tokyo U, and the exam is very difficult,” she confirmed. “I think your father was there for mathematical engineering or something like that. Anyway, both of them graduated. Even though your father could've definitely ended up in a career to put all of his mathematical and engineering genius to use, he seemed to find the university life exhilarating. He decided to make a career out of it and, eventually, became a lecturer at Odaiba University.
 
“He was very well-known there. I got to know him after a while. I had a job there in the university's international department. I taught some of the subjects in English required for those coming from English-bound countries as most were still learning Japanese or taking Japanese language courses.
 
“I dropped out of the teaching profession about….14, 15 years ago and moved here to Nerima to work at this orphanage that my husband and I had taken over just a couple of years prior, so compared to other orphanages and agencies, this place is still fairly new. After coming here to work permanently, I realized how much I enjoyed helping children find homes. I found it to be more of a calling than teaching children or young adults. As for this particular orphanage, most here don't have any family at all. It's a small number, but still more than there should be.
 
“Now, I know that you're probably wondering about how, on paper, it may come across as saying you're not really a citizen of Japan, I guess you could say. You do understand, right?”
 
Koushirou nodded. Mimi just looked from Koushirou to Mrs. Mitsuishi in confusion.
 
“Your father, along with some other university professors of the Tokyo area, was asked to attend a conference in New York. I was invited as well, given that I'm from there, but was unable to attend mainly due to work that needed to be done here. I can only assume that your mother really wanted to go as well. She was already pregnant with you and had to have been in her final weeks, or either you were an early birth. How she managed the flight is beyond me. I'm pretty sure that she was very healthy, but I know that if it had been me I would've been miserable flying such a long way while nearly 9 months pregnant. I didn't even like taking the trains when I was pregnant. That aside, all I know is that she and your father left with it only being the two of them, and returned with an addition. They stayed in New York for an extra month or so before returning with you.
 
“Every faculty member of the Odaiba University staff went out for a big celebration after your father's return. I was still there too, even though I was about to resign from the business.”
 
“Koushirou-kun…”
 
“Yes, he was born in Manhattan, New York at Mount Sinai hospital, not here in Tokyo or even Hikarigaoka or Nerima since you were living here with the Izumis.”
 
Koushirou nodded slowly, while Mimi took in all of the information. She found it interesting how she had an American friend who didn't know a thing about America.
 
“Up until recently, as you said, I always figured I had been born here in Hikarigaoka since I had lived here at such an early age, even though before the age of four, I don't have many memories. I've known for years that I'd been adopted, but didn't realize that due to a technicality, that I'm not a citizen.”
 
“Well, given the circumstance, you do qualify to be an American citizen, even if your parents weren't, but, your parents moved back here with you and as you know, Japan doesn't recognize dual-citizenship. You have until about the age of 20 to choose which nationality you want, but since your parents had no intention of remaining in the US for living purposes, they chose it for you.
 
“It seems that on the adoption paper, it said Japanese-American due to your being born there, so, like you said, it's just a small technicality.”
 
“I guess you're right, but it was still surprising to see that.”
 
“How long have you known about your adoption?”
 
“I don't know. I guess ever since I was about....eight or nine…”
****
`That would've been either our second year or third year at Odaiba Elementary.
 
`Maybe that's why he's so distant whenever he has to talk about anything dealing with family history, like Ishidzuka-sensei pointed out. He's been carrying around that secret for a long time now, and I guess it bothered him more than he truly let on, but I'm still curious as to why he's making such a big deal out of it. He's adopted, so what?'
****
“That's a long time to carry that type of a secret around, Mr. Izumi,” the woman stated. `Usually with the adoption of infants or really young children, the parents never reveal the fact since they wouldn't remember it anyway.'
 
Koushirou didn't even want to get on that subject, and changed it almost instantaneously. “You've mentioned all of these things, such as accomplishments, about my father, but have mentioned nothing about my mother, aside from both probably meeting at Tokyo University, that she'd had me in America, and that both were married when they had me. What exactly is she like?”
 
“She was very knowledgeable, just like your father, but I don't recall her being as popular as your father. She was one of my best English-Language students and I don't think she was there for a science-related major and was there for probably one of the arts. Like I said earlier, you do resemble her, only she wore glasses. She was a pretty woman, but quiet and probably led a lonesome life, I'd say.”
 
“Lonesome in what way?”
 
“Ironically, she lost her family when she was young too and grew up in an orphanage.”
****
`It must run in the family,' the girl muttered sarcastically in thought.
****
“Really?”
 
“Your mother wasn't from Odaiba, but wasn't too far from there as she was still in Minato. She was from the Shinagawa area. She lived at the orphanage, but was, unfortunately, never adopted. She managed to get into the University of Tokyo, and to pay for it, she'd applied for a scholarship through the JSA (Japanese Scholarship Association) and won a full one which was a blessing for her since she had no family to help pay for the expenses and she also didn't have to worry about working to pay school expenses, not counting stuff students would do outside of school of course, like trips and all that.”
 
“Mitsuishi-san, how do you know all of these things?” asked Mimi, who had finally grown tired of remaining quiet. “If you manage a lot of cases, how come this one is so memorable to you?”
 
“Like I mentioned before, this was one of my early cases and the case of Mr. Izumi here was a fast one, and I guess it's a bit more memorable because I knew his biological parents somewhat, due to their being former students of mine and because of my working with his father.”
 
“I understand that, but it just seems like the stuff you've mentioned is something a close friend would know, not a teacher or a co-worker.”
 
“Hm, just call me observant,” she smiled. “Those two were one of the more well-known couples around the Toudai campus, and it was a real pleasure working with Mr. Izumi's real father.”
 
“But how did you know about Koushirou's birth mother having to grow up in an orphanage too?”
 
“Well, when a child is brought in, it is customary to find out the parents' history.”
 
“So, what else do you know about my mother?”
 
“She moved to Odaiba with your father, and she became a grade-school teacher. She always seemed to enjoy children. She was a teacher at Odaiba Elementary School.”
 
“So both of my parents were teachers?”
 
“Yes, but I'd say for different reasons. Your father just wanted to share his knowledge of mathematics with everyone, which is why he chose to become a mathematician, but your mother seemed to enjoy helping others. While at Toudai, in her spare time, she'd actually go to the Tokyo Metropolitan Hachioji Children's Hospital to volunteer there as well as some orphanages, despite most being a bit of an inconvenience given where the university's campus was. She really did seem to love children due to how faithful she seemed to be when going. That was her extra curricular activity. I'm also assuming that's why she taught at an elementary school, to be with younger children.”
 
“At least we now know why math and all that technological stuff seem to come easily to you.” Koushirou nodded, but seemed to grow a bit bothered again. “What's wrong?” Mimi asked.
 
He ignored the girl's query, as he had one of his own. “You still haven't told me why I was left here, Mitsuishi-san. You're going on about how my mother loved being around children, and yet, she left me to complete strangers…”
 
“Sorry,” she apologized. She was purposely trying to avoid giving the inevitable answer. She heaved out a heavy sigh. “Poor Satoru-san and Miki-san…”
 
“Those were their names? My father's name was `Satoru' and my mother's name was `Miki'?”
 
“Fukami Satoru and Misayoshi Miki were their names. It was pretty sad, their situation.”
 
“It couldn't be helped, their having to leave me here, could it?”
 
She nodded sadly. “You see, you will never be able to locate them. They're both…”
 
“They're both what?”
 
“Maybe I'm not the right one to divulge this information to you. Since you already know of your adoption, maybe you should speak with the Izumis ab---”
 
“No!” Koushirou uncharacteristically shouted as he stood, pounding his fist down on the slick desk's surface in frustration.
 
It was at that very moment where Mimi truly felt sorry for him. She had never seen him get upset over pretty much anything to the extent that he'd raise his voice. She couldn't even recall an instance where she'd witnessed him losing his temper out of all the years she'd known him.
 
“They haven't told me anything after all of this time! What makes you think that they'd share that with me now? They had their chances and blew all of them! I had to find out for myself that I wasn't really their son and I just found out a couple of nights ago that I wasn't even born here in this country!”
****
`That's the night he walked me home…maybe that's why he was in such a hurry to leave. He must've discovered that he wasn't born here and wanted to get back home to check it out. Maybe that's also why he was acting so peculiar when we were out for karaoke. That was probably weighing on his mind. Wow, and for all of our sakes, he still tried to come along and join us.'
****
“I have a right to know all of this! I don't even know my real name!”
 
“W-well, your given name is Koushirou, but your family name was changed to Izumi. You had your mother's name. The Izumis changed it when they adopted you. Now, as for your parents, they are both…deceased. They were both killed in a terrible auto accident.”
 
Mimi gasped. Koushirou looked as if the entire world had collapsed down on him. He really hadn't been expecting news so drastic, nor did it come to mind, as he was the type to usually point out the obvious, even though Mrs. Mitsuishi had hinted at it earlier about how all the children of this particular orphanage usually had no family what-so-ever.
 
“They're d-dead?” he asked slowly, sitting back down.
 
“It was caused by someone driving under the influence. I can't recall the sentence that the person received for such a crime, but it won't do you much good given that he died a good while back. Either way, it was a blessing that you survived the crash.”
 
“I was with my parents when they died?!”
 
“The papers mentioned an infant was with them, and I doubt reporters would make something like that up. If I'm remembering right, one of the officers or either the medics interviewed said something along the lines of its being `a miracle that the child survived the crash' since your mother was sitting in the backseat with you. She looked as if she had been trying to protect you, almost as if she knew something was going to happen. Your father died instantly, but your mother died in the hospital a few hours later, I think. Some said that she was clinging onto life to make sure her child was safe.”
 
The woman started to type something up on her computer.
 
“She had psychic abilities?” asked Mimi.
 
“Maybe, or either her sixth sense had kicked in.” She started to scroll through some files. “Everyone has the ability to use such a power, but not everyone is able to actually use them, I've always felt.”
 
“So…my mother saved my life?”
 
“It really looks that way.” The woman frowned. “Darn, looks like I can't find it.”
 
“Excuse me, but what are you looking for?”
 
“Well, um…Mimi,” it hit the woman that she didn't know the girl's full name, “I was looking for the news article about his parents' deaths. I can't seem to find it, but I'm sure that the library might have a copy of it. It happened sometime back in April of 1990.”
 
The woman put the computer into standby mode, and went back to Koushirou, who had been quiet for a good while. “You were originally sent to the Tokyo Metropolitan Child Guidance Center after your release from the hospital, due to where your parents lived, but given the situation, you were transferred here. At first, we thought that we would never find a family for you, until I remembered a couple who came in almost every week in search of a child to foster or possibly adopt, but seems that every time they were willing to adopt, turns out a relative was found, and the child ended up being sent to live with said relative. It's a rarity for this particular orphanage, but in their case, seems the actual child they would show interest in kept lucking out.”
 
“My adoptive parents?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“I thought that with adoptions, you place orphan children with blood relatives anyway,” Mimi pointed out.
 
“Yes, that is usually the case. We always search for family first but we were having trouble finding one for him. As I mentioned earlier, Miki-san grew up in an orphanage herself. Her parents and full background is unknown.”
 
“How come she was left at an orphanage?”
 
“I'm afraid I can't answer that one. I honestly don't know, and it's not listed here. You could always try going to the Tokyo Metropolitan Child Guidance Center and ask there. All cases start off there.”
 
“There was nobody on my father's side who could take me in?”
 
“Well, your father's parents had passed away many years ago and your father had no siblings or any other close family. We couldn't even find an aunt or an uncle, but we did manage to find someone coincidentally. The person we found was Mr. Izumi.”
 
“Wait, do you mean that he's related to me by blood?”
 
“Yes, he is. He was a distant cousin of your father's. When we first confronted the Izumis with this, Mr. Izumi mentioned how he knew of your father and that he'd married, but nothing else. He didn't even know that he'd died or that he'd had a child. We were all very surprised when we found out that Mr. Izumi was a relative of yours and was very willing to take you in.
 
“The two had been looking to adopt a child for a long while at the time. I'd say at least two or three years. See, before getting you, they were registered foster parents and would foster children regardless of the child's background. Mrs. Izumi would even volunteer here on Saturdays and Sundays. After they were blessed with you, they stopped fostering children. You should've seen the looks on their faces when they found out that you were going home with them.”
 
“Wow, I never realized I was that important to them,” Koushirou said in amazement, `but I still wish they would've told all of this to me directly. Why did they keep it secret from me?' He shook off that particular thought. “Mitsuishi-san, I know this may come across as an odd request, but do you have any photos of my biological mother and father?”
 
“I'm sorry. I do not have anything like that. We have nothing left back by them, and that includes photos. If it helps any, you could always try to find some information or class photos of them from the university they attended. They were both top students of their class.” Mrs. Mitsuishi stood.
 
“Okay, I will.” Koushirou stood up, Mimi took suit. “What year did they graduate from Toudai?”
 
“Let's see, both were postgraduate students at the time, so they would have been in…the Class of '85…”
 
“Mitsuishi-san, first, I would like to apologize for the inconvenience and my outburst earlier…”
 
“It's no problem, Mr. Izumi.”
 
“Also, I would like to thank you for all of the help you have given me. It is because of you that I now know of my biological parents and have an idea as to what they were truly like.”
 
“Well, in a way, I was at liberty to share this information with you. I was technically obligated to. With these types of cases, the files aren't sealed off.”
 
“Meaning?” asked Mimi.
 
“I think Mitsuishi-san means that I could come and get this information at any time I wanted, as I had the right to.”
 
“That's correct.”
 
“It still would be nice to know what my parents looked like.”
 
“I know this isn't going to help much, but all you have to do is look in the mirror. You resemble your mother, especially with your red hair and those plain, black eyes of yours, I think, belong to your father. The main difference, though, is that your mother wore glasses and you obviously don't.”
 
Koushirou forced on a partial smile. He didn't find that response all that flattering, as he would rather see it for himself. “Thank you very much,” Koushirou bowed.
 
“Y-yes, thank you,” Mimi bowed as well.
 
With that, Mrs. Mitsuishi showed them back to the lobby, where they thanked her again and walked out of the building, only in silence. They just continued their brisk walk, Mimi had no idea where her friend was headed, but just followed along anyway. Koushirou still had one question that remained unanswered that he knew Mrs. Mitsuishi couldn't answer. `Why were they so eager to adopt a child and what made them foster children to the extent that Mitsuishi-san was implying?'
 
“Koushirou?”
 
“Oh, what?”
 
“I-I'm sorry about what happened to your parents,” Mimi spoke up, not knowing exactly what to say. She just felt obligated to say something.
 
“It's okay Mimi-san. I am just glad that I found out the truth about them. I can now rest a little better knowing.”
 
“Why do I have this feeling that there's more to this situation than you're letting on? Is being adopted the reason you seem to be jealous of your future brother or sister?” The question caught the young computer whiz off guard and definitely wasn't expecting that type of a question from the popularity queen. “I can tell that you're bothered by the Izumis having another child. The fact that you're willing to move out showed me that.”
 
“Move out? I'm not planning on moving out…yet.”
 
“But you made that random statement about how the place is going to be crowded in about a year and how you'd like to get in contact with your real parents.”
 
“I just feel like I'm going to be in the way and want to give them their space which would be perfect for the new addition.” He sighed. “I'm not even their real son, why would they bother with me when they can have a child more worthy of carrying on the family name of Izumi?”
 
“Izumi Koushirou!” Mimi bellowed, her hands on her hips. Koushirou stopped walking while other people passing them by glanced over at the two curiously. “You stop that right now! Mr. and Mrs. Izumi love you very much and having a baby is not going to change the 15 years of love they've shown for you! I would expect this attitude from a child, but not someone your age!”
 
“You don't know what it feels like!” Koushirou nearly shouted at her, irritated by her criticism of him. “You don't know what it's like knowing that you're in a family that you don't even fully belong to! You don't understand the mixed feelings that I constantly have because I appreciate them and all they do for me, but then feel a bit of resentment towards them for not telling me that I'm not really their son and then feeling like a spoiled ungrateful brat for feeling any type of negativity towards them at all! And now, all of a sudden, they're going to have a child of their own---a real child for them. One who will know and understand his place along with his real mother and father. I'm not even a real Izumi…I only have the name!” After saying all of that, his heart ached. He didn't even understand what had come over him to even say all that he had. He just felt emotionally drained. “sorry for yelling, it's not your fault…” he muttered, quietly.
 
“No. I-I'm sorry,” Mimi hastily apologized. “You're right, maybe I don't understand and I never will be able to, but I do know one thing…”
 
“What's that?”
 
“I know that you should just give it a try and stop jumping to the conclusion as to what your life will be like with the upcoming addition. It would make Mrs. Izumi very happy. Having a child is one of the most important and meaningful times in a woman's life. Try to be happy for her and quit being so selfish over it.”
 
He took in her words, and slowly nodded. He knew deep down that she was right, but he still couldn't help but feel a bit insecure over the entire situation. There was still that tiny fact that he wasn't really the Izumis' son and the fact that they still hadn't told him about it. They did take him in, they did take care of him, and he really did appreciate that, but at the same time, he still felt out of place when around them and as the years were going by, he was feeling more and more awkward around them.
 
The two continued their walk and ended up back at the Hikarigaoka Station. Koushirou mapped the route, laughing a bit at the irony of the situation of when he and the others were trying to get back to Odaiba from Hikarigaoka before, and missed their stop to transfer and ended up in Shinjuku. After mapping the route he told Mimi, “Let's make sure we're awake this time so that we can make our transfer.” Mimi laughed a bit.
 
When the two finally arrived back in Odaiba, it was nearly 15:00 (3:00). Mimi hadn't even noticed. After exiting the station, she stretched her arms out due to sitting for so long, even if the train ride was only about an hour. “Here we are back in Odaiba. What should we do next?”
 
“Well, I wanted to go to Toudai and Odaiba University to learn more about my birth parents,” Koushirou simply stated. `I really wish I wasn't so curious about them now, but I mustn't share what I'm doing with mother or father. It'll probably make them feel bad.'
 
“But aren't all of the schools closed on Sundays?”
 
“It shouldn't be. I'm sure the campus is open all year round, and some students are still studying or participating in club activities, even though most universities are already in their spring vacation.”
 
“Oh.” She looked down at her watch. “But, um, I…”
 
“You don't have to come along if you don't want. I know you're anxious to get away from me,” he told her half-jokingly.
 
“No, that's not true!”
 
To Koushirou, she'd obviously missed the joke. “Well, you are coming across as a person who has something else to do.”
 
“Well, I was planning on going to…”
 
“…the party Sora-san is throwing?”
 
“W-well y-yeah.”
 
“No surprise there. I knew about it too. Taichi-san invited me. I was planning on going until, well, you know. You should really go, though. Your friends will be there and you really shouldn't waste your time on me…”
 
Waste my time? I chose to spend my time with you! Just for that, we're going to that party later! Now, since we're back in Odaiba, why don't we head over to Odaiba University and then we can go to Tokyo U and while we're at it, we can go by Odaiba Elementary to learn more about your real mother! They're bound to have photos of past instructors.”
 
“That's a great idea, Mimi-san! Odaiba Elementary School probably would have something like that! I didn't even think of that!”
 
“Let's go see what we can find out!”
 
Koushirou smiled…it was a genuine one. “Right.”
 
The two started to walk away from the station, when Koushirou asked, “Mimi-san, are you sure you don't want me to take you to the party? I'm sure that going there would be a lot more interesting and fun than spending time gathering information with me.”
 
“I'm sure. We can go later, now let's head over to Odaiba University since it's the closest.”
 
`Hmm, if going to the party, I should definitely apologize to Sora-san for the late arrival, but there's still that chance that we might not make it, due to how adamant Mimi-san is on going to all three places,' Koushirou concluded in thought. He then remembered something else. “Oh, Mimi-san, I forgot to apologize for earlier.”
 
“What for?”
 
“For when I ignored you. I'm sure that's what caused you to leave in the first place. It hit me while riding back that that was why you probably left.”
 
“I was just hungry and thirsty.”
 
“Oh yeah, it was getting late. Well, after Odaiba University, if we don't make it to the party, since I doubt we'll be able to head back to in-land Tokyo to go to Toudai, I will treat you to a meal.”
 
“Y-you don't have to.”
 
“No, I insist. I really want to, given the day and all.” Mimi had no idea what he had meant by that, but nodded. `This is a nice day to me, and it's our last free full day off, also, the company of Mimi-san made it even nicer. I should do something for her to show my appreciation.'
 
The two then went back to the station to pick up a map to find a route to Odaiba University…
 
Author's Notes
 
Note 1: Toudai is short for Tokyo Daigaku = Tokyo University. I had Koushirou and Mimi react in the way that they did due to my, at the time, having started up with the series Love Hina. In a way, it was used as an inside Love Hina joke. The main character, Keitaro, was trying to get into Tokyo University, but he kept failing the university's entrance exam. I just assumed that getting into the school was very difficult, given the way Love Hina made it seem.
***
Note 2: The only thing I know is that Mr. Izumi and Koushirou's father are distant relatives. They never once explained how, but I'm going with the whole cousin scenario. It makes the most sense, thinking about it.
~*~*~*~*~*~
Fic Chapter Changes
 
The first change has a lot to do with a line that was dropped. The line, “Wow, you were here the entire time,” said Koushirou in astonishment, was originally, “Here I am looking all over for you, and you were here the entire time!” Doesn't that sound a bit more aggressive and confrontational than the other line? I felt that this line was much too hostile sounding given his character. He almost came across as angry to me, which is another reason why I changed it as I prefer surprise over that. Besides, later on, Koushirou will end up showing intentional anger and lash out and also an emotionally-driven type of anger.
 
Mrs. Mitsuishi's job at the university that Koushirou's birth parents attended was changed slightly. I wrote that she was an English Language Teacher at the university. Originally, I had that she was just a student teacher. I also gave the woman a bit more concrete background.
 
I added in the year that Koushirou's birth parents were married (1987), like it says for the original Adventure series. Originally, to keep Koushirou's mother's maiden name, I wrote that his parents had never wed, but decided to stick to canon for this rewrite. To keep that Koushirou's mother didn't change her family name, I just wrote that she kept her maiden name and changed the conversation up a little bit to compensate.
 
I dropped a flashback. The flashback was from chapter 1 when they were first given the assignment and how Koushirou was talking to their teacher in hopes of getting out of doing the assignment. Mimi was thinking back to it after Koushirou mentioned how long he'd known of his being adopted. Originally for that scene, which I failed to mention, iirc, was Ishidzuka mentioning how he'd looked back on older assignments dealing with family and how Koushirou's work was always less than satisfactory.
 
I changed Koushirou's mother from being from Odaiba to Shinagawa. I get the impression that during her time, Odaiba wouldn't have been very residential yet.
 
I gave a name to the children's hospital that Koushirou's mother volunteered at and added that she volunteered at orphanages as well.
 
I changed the given name of Koushirou's birth father from Hiroaki to Satoru, mainly for its meaning. Hiroaki was a random name I chose. Satoru, depending on the characters used, can mean “fast learner” and “knowledgeable”. Oh, and everything mentioned about Koushirou's biological father is true (the name is still made up though, as it was never given). He was a genius mathematician who was a lecturer “at the university”, but I don't think it was ever mentioned as to which university. There was virtually no information given on his mother, other than his father married her in '87.
 
For the record, there is no such place as Odaiba University.
 
This is just a comment about the orphanages and adoption agencies. They do exist in Japan and all that, but to my knowledge, there are none in Hikarigaoka (there is one in Nerima, though) and there isn't one in Odaiba.
 
Originally, I had that Koushirou's biological mother grew up at the Odaiba Adoption Agency and for Koushirou to go there to get more information on her, but instead, I had Mrs. Mitsuishi mention the Tokyo Metropolitan Child Guidance Center, which is a real place.
 
I added in a bit more dialogue between Koushirou and Mimi when leaving the orphanage. I had Koushirou express his feelings and doubts more than I did for the original version of this fic. Originally, Koushirou came across more so like a child who didn't want to lose his parents' attention to a new sibling, but as you can see for this, it's a combination of things making it more difficult for him. This was what I was originally trying to convey, but, for the original, with the wording, I'm sure most got the impression that he was acting like a jealous sibling.
 
I had Koushirou more willing to attend Sora's party compared to how I originally wrote this.
 
The ending was changed. This does occur in the story, the dinner thing; I just have him asking her in this chapter as opposed to a future one.