Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Lost ❯ The More Things Change, the More they Stay the Same ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 5 - The More Things Change, the More they Stay the Same

"…and then you guys came charging over the ridge."

I glanced back at them. They looked a little stupefied. Of course, they'd been that way since I'd covered the T.V. show, and shown them my cards of the Digidestined to prove it. Then Cody seemed to shake himself out of it.

"So you're going to try to make Azulongmon back into an egg again?"

"That's the plan, anyway. He might evolve differently though."

"I don't think so."

This came from Izzy, who had been quiet during my entire story.

"Eh, Why?"

"Azulongmon told me once that there absolutely have to be digital sovereigns. So they are therefore required to maintain the mega level. When you release his data, Azulongmon will probably reform into mega form almost instantly."

"Oh, that's good."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~
~A week later~

Izzy was right, as always. Azulongmon came back as an egg, and three seconds later he was back to his mega self again. He confirmed the Infermon and that he had sent me a cry for help. The Digidestined immediately apologized, especially Mimi, who was as pink as her hair from embarrassment. Guilmon had stayed red, much to my surprise, but apparently Grani's data was holding him there. Currently I was in my room at Ken's place, packing. I gathered up my money, about two thousand in cash, which I had made, ironically enough, working in a bakery.

"Are you sure you don't want us to come with you?"

"Yes Ken, I'll be fine, I'm going home, that's all."

"Yeah, going home to fight another Tamer."

"If she's there, Ken, if she's there. And if things get hairy enough there's always the other Tamers."

"By everything you've said, they aren't going to care much for you."

"Perhaps not, but I've got to find out on my own."

He nodded. A need to do something alone was something he understood.

"Besides, if they don't like me and I need help, I'll email you, Azulongmon did set up that special message board…"

Ken smiled.

"Right."

"See ya, Ken."

"You will come back to visit right?"

"Of course!"

I handed him a green card. Azulongmon had explained how to use the green cards to cross between quadrants, if there was a green card there to target. I just hoped that the green card I had placed in my house still existed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I sighed and looked at the card in my hand. It looked almost identical to a blue card but was a shimmering greenish-white instead. Yamaki had said that it was found in the ruins of Takato's house. But it did nothing that anyone could tell, so they let me keep it. A souvenir of a dead man. A way to remember Takato, like Rika and those goggles she always kept attached to her waist. She hit anyone who asked about them.

Well, hitting people is normal for Rika anyway.

I walked home after school, gazing at the card like I always did. It had something to do with Takato, I knew it. I just couldn't figure out what it had to do with him. Then I crossed into West Shinjuku Park, and looked at the memorial for a while. Then as I exited, the green card in my hand glowed, and a digital field appeared out of nowhere.

What a day for Terriermon to be with Suzie…

Then, in the center where I was waiting, hoping whatever was coming through was friendly, formed a portal. Out of it came… a boy?

The boy was about my age, had somewhat unruly black hair, and gray eyes. He was wearing a light, black, long-sleeved sweatshirt with a hood, and some jeans. He had on a black belt, which had some card holders like Rika's attached, and was carrying a suitcase in his left hand which was covered by a black, fingerless glove that had the Catalyst's symbol on it.

Then, to my surprise a small red ball hopped out of the hood, landing on the boy's shoulder.

A digimon! But this guy doesn't have a D-Ark!

Then it spoke.

"Are we home yet?"

"Not sure Jyarimon, but we'll find out once the fog clears."

"Okay Takatomon!"

Takatomon!? As in… Takato?

I did the only thing that seemed appropriate under the circumstances.

I fainted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At the sound of a thump, I spun around and looked through the clearing fog to see… Henry? I sweat-dropped at seeing his figure laying there on the ground.

Well, he took that well. All things considered, anyway.

I also noted that he was carrying my green card. I left it where it had fallen.

Maybe if I leave, he'll think he was hallucinating. I don't think I'm ready for this.

*Takatomon! Leomon, Jeri, and Terriermon are coming.*

*Oh, boy. Let's Go! Which way is safe Jyarimon?*

*Towards school.*

*Great…*


We took off running towards school.

I might as well get checked in while I'm here…

For my little side trip here, like the overprotective father he had become, Azulongmon had worked with Zhuqiamon and a Datamon to keep me enrolled in my last month of high school under a new identity. Peachy. Grey contacts, black hair dye, and my lack of goggles would be all that stood in the way of the others recognizing me. At least it made sense. The girl was about my age, so it made sense that she might be enrolled in school, and, knowing my luck, the same school I went to.

I hid my suitcase outside, strolled into the main office, and spoke to the secretary.

"Hello, My name is Taisushiro Kamotozumi. I'll be starting here on Monday."

Yep, that's my new name. Catchy, huh?

"Oh, hello Mr. Kamotozumi, we have your things ready here. You should go find your locker and find your homeroom teacher. Since school just got out she should be here."

"Right, thanks!"

I walked out of the office. I found my locker quite easily, to my astonishment, and seemed to have no luck finding my homeroom, which I expected.

Ah, there it is. Why do I have a feeling of impending doom?

I swallowed nervously, reached out, and opened the door. The only visible sign of my grief was a slight widening of my eyes, and I swore I was sweating bullets. Inside though, I was screaming and crying like a baby. I looked full into the figure of a slightly older looking Ms. Asagi. I should have backed out quietly and tried to make a run for it. But I didn't. I became a sudden idiot and spoke.

"H-Hello…"

She looked at up at me from where she was grading papers.

"Hmm?"

"My name is Ta…Taisushiro Kamotozumi. I start here Monday."

"Oh, so you're the new student! I'm Ms. Asaji, your homeroom teacher. I'm glad you're here. I have an aptitude test I want you to take to see exactly what you're capable of. I would have given it to you Monday, but since you're here now…"

"Right. Thanks."

I've gotten a test from Ms. Asaji of all people, and I'm not technically a student here yet! So, why hasn't the feeling of doom gone away?

Then I heard a familiar, cold, hard voice behind me.

"I'm here for my detention Ms. Asaji. Hey, who's the twerp?"

My eyes narrowing I spun, and found out why the sense of doom hadn't dissipated with the test. I was looking full into the face of Rika Nonaka.

"WAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!"

My eyes widened, I took a step back and tripped over my own feet, arms flailing wildly, flinging various pages of the test everywhere, and screamed like a schoolgirl as I landed on my butt.

"Owwwww."

I could hear Ms. Asaji sigh.

"Taisushiro, meet Rika Nonaka. The first thing you can do Rika, is help Taisushiro here gather up his testing materials. He starts Monday."

I slowly got to my feet and joined Rika in picking up the scattered test. I extended my hand.

"Call me Tai."

She narrowed her eyes and growled at me. I gulped and took my hand back.

Same old Rika… I hope she gets along with the others better than this…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I sighed. I always sighed at the sight of Shinjuku Park these days. Ever since Megidramon, I've always felt horrible here. I shook it off and brightened up. I was going to meet Henry! I skipped up the steps to the clearing and saw Henry on the ground…

"Henry!"

Terriermon and I shouted and ran at the same time, each of us reaching his side. Henry sat up groggily.

"Jeri? Terriermon?"

"What happened to ya, Henry? Was it a digimon? I can take him!"

Henry blinked, then his face paled and he started babbling.

"Ta-Ta-Ta-Ta…"

"Snap out of it Henry. What happened to you?"

"Takato…"

"What?"

What did Takato have to do with this?

"What about him, Henry? His ghost come up out the big rock in there and say boo, or somethin'?"

"Terriermon… It's called a memorial."

"Momentai, Henry, momentai."

"Terriermon! Henry! Just tell me what happened."

"I was walking out of Guilmon's shed when the green card glowed, and a digital field appeared with me in the center, and this green portal appeared. Then this guy hopped out with a Jyarimon, and it called him Takatomon. He must have dyed his hair or something, because it was black, but it was him! I'm sure of it!"

"Henry… Are you sure you just haven't eaten too much of that slop Guilmon wouldn't eat at school? You're acting a little crazy."

"I think Terriermon's right, Henry. With these strange attacks you've been under a lot of stress, we all wish Takato was still with us."

It had started innocently enough. A Goblimon and a Keramon had been running amok in downtown Shinjuku. Henry had gotten a call from Yamaki, who asked him to look into it, effectively ruining our date. Since, the attacks had been getting stronger and stronger, and it was now really obvious we were fighting other Tamers.

"Maybe you're right, Jeri. Green portal. Heh. It does sound like a science-fiction movie."

"Great! Now are we still on for our date?"

"Of course!"

Our date wasn't as much fun as it usually was. I think Henry was still thinking about what he saw in the park. We were sitting on a bench back at the park when Leomon lumbered out of the woods.

"We've got a problem…"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The test wouldn't have been pleasant under any circumstances, but having to do it with Rika staring daggers into the back of my neck? That was so much worse it wasn't even funny. I was about four o'clock when I exited school, and got my things. I checked into a cheap motel and unpacked. Then Jyarimon and I decided to go to a store to get something to eat. As we left I saw a black-haired, green-eyed girl with a Keramon walk by.

Keramon! That's Infermon's rookie form!

I followed at a discrete distance and hid.

"Keramon, do your worst."

"Of course, Mistress Delia."

Digivolution_

Keramon Warp Digivolve to… Armageddemon!


Armageddemon roared and started rampaging down the street. I noted with some surprise that Leomon was hopping away over the rooftops. It didn't take long for him to come back. Or I should say it wasn't long before SaberLeomon came back, MegaGargomon close behind.

Wow. Jeri Biomerged without me making her, maybe I won't have to do anything.

This, of course, turned out to be a false assumption. Henry and Jeri may have had two to one odds, but Armageddemon had type advantage and an active tamer.

*Jyarimon…*

*Right Taimon!*


Well, even if he wasn't broken of the mon part of the name, at least he was calling me Tai.

Biomerge
Digivolution_

Jyarimon biomerge to… ChaosGallantmon!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I grinned behind my faceplate. Even if the circumstances were grim, it was a thrill to be MegaGargomon again.

"MEGA BARRAGE!"

Voice: DIGI-MODIFY! Hyper Speed Activate!

Wha? This is a mega! It shouldn't be possible for it to have a Tamer!

Then it roared, a chilling, feral sound.

Sounds like Megidramon… Wait! Megidramon was a mega without biomerging! I guess it is possible…

Then, I felt something crash into me from behind. Armageddemon's tail.
"TWIN FANG!"

SaberLeomon crashed into Armageddemon from the side, forcing it away from me.

"ULTIMATE FLARE!"

The attack hit Jeri head on and flung her into the building behind her. She struggled to stand back up.

"Jeri! GAGRO MISSLE!"

Voice: DIGI-MODIFY! Taomon's Talisman Spell Activate!

Nuts…

The barrier didn't deflect all of the attack, but it weakened the explosion enough that Armageddemon's strength was able to easily withstand it with no damage done.

Voice: DIGI-MODIFY! Power Activate!

"BLACK RAIN!"

Armageddemon's type advantage is really helping it…

Armageddemon's Attack knocked me back before I fell over. While not out of the fight by any means, it would be awhile before I could get back to my feet, given I'm basically a turtle in all this armor.

Armageddemon reared back and fired at Jeri.

"ULTIMATE FLARE!"

There was a huge explosion as it hit.

"Jerrrrriiiii!"

Then, a strange, hauntingly familiar voice drifted out of the smoke.

"Nice try, but I'm afraid you'll have to try again."

When the smoke cleared there was a black knight kneeling in front of SaberLeomon with a raised shield. Armageddemon did not look amused. The knight spoke again, holding its right hand behind its cape.

"What's the matter, Armageddemon? Too afraid to attack when you don't have type advantage? Like when you took on Azulongmon?"

Armageddemon snarled.

"I don't have to answer to you!"

"No, you don't, but on the other hand…"

And with this it brought out its right hand from beneath the cape.

"You do have to answer to her…"

The hand opened to reveal an unconscious black-haired girl.

"Mistress Delia, I believe you refer to her. Retreat, and she will not be harmed."

The Armageddemon did as asked and retreated a short ways. The knight tossed the girl to Armageddemon.

"Leave or face my wrath."

After the Armageddemon left, the knight turned and lifted the feline digimon. He then handed her to me, and turned to leave.

"Who are you?"

He seemed to hesitate a little before answering.

"I am ChaosGallantmon. I serve Azulongmon. The girl and her Armageddemon, then an Infermon, fought against, and almost deleted Azulongmon before I intervened. I have tracked her here, to the southern quadrant. Goodbye, Henry Wong. We will meet again."

Then, he turned and left, going over the rooftops. I would have followed, but I was too slow, and I had Jeri to worry about.