Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Love, Mimi ❯ In Which Our Adventure is Ended ( Chapter 9 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Love, Mimi
by: Akimi

Disclaimer/Author Notes: YES! Finally! It's DONE!!! Yay, that means no more guilt-ridden thoughts of "I really should be writing right now..." and no more planning out plots! At least... for a while. Yeah, I still have to deal with Heartbreakers... maybe I'll finish that one someday too. Anyway, I don't own Digimon. Terribly sorry for those of you who thought I did. But this story is MINE! Grr! I bite! Oh yes, and uh... review!
***
Chapter 10- "In Which our Adventure is Ended"

As Sora lay in bed that night, she could not keep her mind from reeling. So much had happened today! She and Mimi had talked about it for a long time before coming to any certain conclusions about what to do.

**flashback**

"So... did Matt say anything about me today?" Mimi asked hopefully.

Sora shook her head. "I don't think so. At least, he didn't say anything to me, anyway. Of course, we never really do talk, much more than exchanging pleasantries and stuff."

Mimi raised an eyebrow. "Exchanging pleasantries? Where'd you get that one?"

"Oh, I read it in a book somewhere!" Sora said, smiling. "I decided to start saying it. It kinda makes me sound smarter than I really am."

Laughing, Mimi replied, "Hun, you're smart enough as it is! And everybody knows it, too. You're smarter than me, and God knows you're a whole hell of a lot smarter than Tai is."

"Oh gee, now there's a compliment if ever I did hear one. I'm smarter than Tai! Now that my worries have been taken care of, I'll finally be able to sleep at night," Sora said sarcastically as she rolled her eyes.

Mimi laughed some more. One lenghty pause later she said, "So, there's really no hope of me and Matt getting back together is there?"

"Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say NO hope..." Sora replied. "But, if you want, I could bitch him out or something. Ya know, see if I could increase your chances at all."

After contemplating this new option for a moment, Mimi replied, "I guess it really couldn't hurt that much. I mean, at the very least it would send him on a real nice guilt trip, wouldn't it?" She really wanted to get back together with Matt, no matter what it took, and Sora could tell. She sighed.

Sora nodded. "Okay, I'll get him tomorrow at school. But which point do you want me to emphasize more, that this whole mess is all my fault and you're completely innocent, or the fact that you're completely heartbroken and you'll be emotionally traumatized for the rest of your life, requiring countless hours of laborious therapy, and may even be on the verge of committing suicide?" she asked. This produced quite a burst of giggles from Mimi.

"Uhh..." Mimi thought for a second, occasionally laughing at her choices. "Go guilt trip. That always works, and then when we have the ritualistic 'Getting Back Together Talk,' I'll tell him how it's all my fault and all that fun stuff. Sound good?" she proposed.

"Sounds great," Sora replied.

**end flashback**

Mimi hadn't been planning on returning to school tomorrow - the prospect still made her nauseous. Maybe it was a good thing that she wanted to stay home. And while Mimi was at home eating ice cream and watching soap operas, Sora would be at school, doing her part. This would all be resolved very shortly.

*

At 7:55 AM precisely, Sora pushed open the main doors of Odaiba High School like she usually did. She walked down the hall like a supermodel would down a runway, waving and cheerfully greeting nearly everyone she passed. This was normal; most of the kids she went to school with put a lot of effort into trying to be seen talking to people such as herself and Mimi. Then there were the people Matt hung around with, who were usually in the middle of the hallway. They didn't give a shit, but they'd say hi if they were facing her. Then more people that wanted to talk.

Before she went to her own locker, she made the daily futile attempt to go to the end of the hall and talk to the goths. They hated her. Mimi insisted they let this self-banished from high school society know that someone cared. Even though they were always rejected - Mimi was just like that.

A few minutes later, she casually walked into her first period class, algebra, which she shared with Matt. She set her book and notebook on her desk, then walked over to where Matt was seated, talking to a friend of his.

"Matt, we need to talk," she said ominously.

He looked up at her. "And what exactly is there to say?" he demanded cooly. He thought of his brief jaunt through the world of the popular and wondered what loose ends remained to be tied up.

This slightly exasperated Sora. "What are you doing for lunch today? 'Cause you, me, and Tai need to have a little chat."

"Oh joy. My most favorite people in the world..." he said dryly, rolling his eyes. Before Sora could reply, he added, "But, if you insist, we could go to my apartment. It's close, and no one else will be there."

"Great!" Sora smiled. "Meet me at the office after fourth hour." The discussion was ended as, simultaneously, she walked back to her seat and the bell rang.

The teacher, Mr. Hikomo, droned on and on about graphing linear inequalities all period while Sora twirled her silky red hair around her finger, occasionally casting glances at Matt that said "Don't you dare forget about lunch!" Matt would sometimes return them with childish faces, sometimes sticking out his tongue to top it all off.

Once, after this tongue sticking out ritual, they heard a sharp and abrupt cry from their teacher. "Ishida-san! Is there something you and Takenouchi-san would like to share with the rest of the class?"

"Uh... no, sir," Matt replied, avoiding his teacher's icy stare. When he resumed teaching, Matt presented Sora with a "Leave me alone now!" look, and she was only too happy to oblige.

Finally, the bell rang. Sora quickly jumped up and made her way out of the classroom. She walked briskly to her locker, shoved her algebra book in it, and ran to where Tai stood at his locker. She tapped him on the shoulder.

"Tai! What are you doing for lunch today?" she inquired.

"I was gonna go visit Mimi," he replied, like it was the most obvious thing in all the world.

Sora stifled a laugh and shook her head. "Not anymore you're not. You're coming with me and Matt."

Tai only blinked. "Uh... no. I'm going to see Mimi."

"You're not going to see Mimi," Sora countered.

"Oh? And why not?" Tai was growing irritated.

"Because she doesn't want you to see her. And besides, you're gonna come with me and Matt. I need to talk to you both."

This news left Tai dumbfounded. In any case, he wouldn't have been able to answer her anyway, because the bell rang, sending them both and a few other students scuttling off to their various second-period classes.

While Sora was playing badminton in gym class, Mimi was at home, pampering herself. She wanted to look as wonderful as physically possible for Matt. The facial was first.

Luckily, she had lots of recipes for at-home facial masks. "Let's see," she muttered as she looked through them. "Egg white - good for normal to oily sking, peaches and cream - good for normal to dry skin, avacado and buttermilk - good for normal to very dry skin, and oatmeal - good for all skin types. I think I'll go with the peaches and cream. It sounds yummy," she said to herself. (A/N: These are actual masks that I have recipes for! ^^ )

About 10 minutes later, Mimi laid down on her bed, Enya music in the background, peachy mush all over her face. She was fully prepared to do nothing but chill for a whole thirty minutes.

Meanwhile, Sora changed out of her gym clothes and back into her boring green and white uniform. She'd have to talk to Tai again - she hadn't had time to tell him where to meet her and Matt. Ugh. Sometimes, especially lately, Tai made her sick. But other times, she fervently wished it was her that he liked, instead of Mimi or anyone else. Well, she could talk to him later. It didn't have to be then.

Somehow, the time passed until lunch. Sora stashed her books and such, then walked to the hallway right outside the office, where Tai and Matt were both already waiting for her. No one spoke as they headed out to Matt's car. It had been mutually agreed upon that Matt would drive; it was, after all, his apartment they were going to.

The drive was silent and understandably tense, but, fortunately, very short. In two and a half minutes' time, they arrived at the apartment complex where Matt and his father lived.

Matt and Tai both had an aura of icy coolness about them that Sora found very difficult to deal with, especially as she ran to keep up with their brisk pace as they walked down the hall to Matt's apartment. It also didn't help that neither guy was even slightly interested in making any sort of small talk, be it with her or each other. Their stubbornness was very bothersome to our dear Sora, and she couldn't see how she was ever going to make Tai concede his loss, or make Matt get back together with Mimi. She didn't have much time to ponder, however - they had reached Matt's humble abode.

Matt let them in, and they silently sat down in his living room, Matt and Tai on opposite ends of the couch, and Sora on a chair. "Alright," she began, "we all need to talk."

"So talk," Matt said dryly.

'Thank God for that,' Sora thought. 'Hopefully I won't just be hearing my own voice echo off their empty heads.' She sighed tensely. "Tai, you get to be first."

Tai blinked, then motioned for her to continue.

"Look, you gotta get off this 'King of Odaiba High School' ego trip of yours. There are more guys in the world than just you, and it's a damn good thing Mimi isn't too shallow to fall for one of them. I know you enjoy haveing your little groupies, and I know guys have a tendency to want what they can't have, you especially. But nonetheless, get over yourself! Are we clear?" Sora asserted.

Nodding his head, Tai replied, "I think so... are you basically just saying that I have to let Matt have Mimi?"

Sora smiled for the first time since school started this morning. "That's pretty much it!" She then turned to Matt. "And you." She shook her head before starting in on him, showing that she was very disappointed in him.

"Look, this whole thing with you and Mimi is a big mistake-"

"I realize this," Matt interupted.

"Huh?"

"I realized a while ago that my entire relationship with Mimi was meaningless and pointless, existing only so that Mimi could carelessly use me to get to my then best friend. I also realized that she's a bitch, to make a long story very short," Matt remarked dryly.

Sora dropped her forehead into her hands, producing a large smacking noise. 'This is gonna be harder than I thought...' she thought. "That is not what I meant..." she muttered, just loud enough that it was barely audible to Matt.

Rolling his eyes, Matt snapped, "Oh, sorry. Did I miss something? What else did she do that I forgot to mention?"

No sooner had he made this comment than Sora gave him a quick, sharp blow upside the head. "Just shut up," she demanded as she resumed her seat on the chair. "What I meant was the break-up. Your relationship was not meaningless or utterly futile or anything else to that effect. The only reason you two broke up is because Tai made an ass of himself and I made you buy into it. All that stuff about Mimi liking Tai, it isn't true. Do you understand?"

This verbal smack upside the head, combined with the physical one he received a few seconds prior, was quite enough to slam Matt back into reality. It was a nice surprise that, this time, the real world was much more pleasant that Fantasyland. He nodded. "You mean, I've been being an asshole for no reason?"

"Pretty much," came the reply.

*

Mimi looked at the clock. It read 3:43 PM. She returned her attention to her toenails, which were in the process of being painted a sheer shade of pink. Before long, she began to wish she had done her feet first. It is rather difficult to give yourself a pedicure if you have wet fingernails, you must understand.

Just as she finished, her phone rang. She picked it up and answered it with minimal difficulty, as her nails were considerably dryer by now. "Hello?" she said in her sweet, girlish voice.

"Hey there, girly! Guess what..." It was Sora.

"What?"

"You picked a smart one!"

"Uh... what does that mean?"

"Matt. I didn't even have to get into how you're so traumatized and everything. He came around on his own. All it took was a little smack and telling him that all that stuff I said wasn't true."

"So... we're gonna get back together now?"

"I would assume so."

"And Tai?"

"I think he'll be leaving you alone from now on."

Mimi didn't say anything directly to Sora, but Sora could hear a loud cry of joy and what sounded like Mimi celebrating. Sora laughed.

"Okay... yeah. Sorry 'bout that. But, thanks much, hon!"

"No problem. I'll let you go now, though. Ick. I got algebra homework."

"I'm sorry. I'll talk to you later, then."

"See ya."

There was a click as both girls hung up the phone.

Mimi fell onto her bed in a state of complete bliss. She became lost in her day dreams of Matt, and didn't notice as her mother got home from work at 5 PM.

Suddenly, she was startled awake by a knock at her door. "Wha...? Oh... come in!" she yelled as she got up. It was her mother.

"Honey, Matt's at the door for you." Mimi had introduced her parents to Matt, and they loved him almost as much as she did, which was quite a bit!

Her face lit up, and she started out, then looked down at herself. She was still in her pajamas! She quickly threw on a white tank top and some pink capris and slipped into a pair of pink flip-flops with a Hawaiin floral print on them. Now that she was dressed, she ran downstairs.

As she rounded the corner, she saw Matt standing in the foyer and looking very nervous: he was fidgeting, looking down at his feet and muttering something to himself. 'How cute!' she thought, smiling.

Slowly, she walked towards him, took his trembling hand in hers, and led him into the living room, where they sat down. Matt was silent the whole time.

The two of them sat in the quiet for a long, stretched out minute. Then all of a sudden, Matt gently took Mimi's face in his hands and kissed her. She felt his tongue pressing against her lips, and shortly their little peck evolved into something more.

When they finally pulled away, he looked her in the eyes and said simply, "I love you, Mimi."

He was quite surprised when Mimi practically jumped on him and hugged him. "I love you, too," she whispered into his shirt, just loud enough to hear. Matt kissed the top of her head, and then rested his head against hers.

The end.
***
Well, I hope you all liked it. If not, too bad - cause I'm DONE! I'll let you read anything you want into the ending. If it means they get back together - great. If it means all of a sudden he'll say, "But we're not getting back together!" and then she ends up with Tai - great. Whatever - I just don't care anymore. But that doesn't mean you don't have to review! Pretty please? Love you all muches!