Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Masks ❯ Facing Old Fears ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 3: Facing Old Fears

Takato sat at the picnic table outside his high school across from Henry, simply staring at his food, when a small wrapped note slid toward him.

Takato's heavy eyelids slid up long enough to read, 'You rocked yesterday!' scribbled on the paper. Takato looked sleepily up at the smiling Henry, before crossing his arms on the table and using them as a pillow.

"So you go back out last night?" Henry whispered.

Takato mumbled and shook his head 'no' in his arms.

"Homework then?"

Again, Takato gave a 'no'.

"Did the Boy Wonder pay his girlfriend a nightly visit?"

Takato shot upright and gave Henry a glare that would of frightened the devil. But it only made Henry laugh louder. Takato sighed, "So she gave a thank you kiss, I … err Robin did save her life twice, you know?"

"I hear you guys had a big day, yesterday," Jeri smiled walking toward Takato and Henry with her own lunch tray in hand, "What happened?"

"Oh the usual," Henry said shoveling some mashed potatoes in his mouth, "Walk in the park, crazy woman shows up, we get beaten up by weird vines, a guy in tights and a cape shows up and makes us look like amateurs, nothing out of the ordinary at all."

"Was anyone hurt?" Jeri asked worriedly.

"No, Rika had a few scratched but … I think it was worth it for her," Henry replied smiling up at the blushing Takato, "Don't you agree, buddy?"

"What?" Takato asked looking past his two friends to a boy running out of the school screaming something about spiders, then dropping and rolling on the ground as if he was in fits.

"Calm down, Mameru," Henry said as he and Takato gripped his shoulders and tried to calm him down, yet he continued to scream that spiders were all over him.

"Not him too …" Takato said under his breath, as the boy continued to wraith in terror. He waited for some other boys came to see what was going on and helped restrain him, "You guys hold him, I'll go get a teacher!" he announced as he ran into the school.

---

Meanwhile, on top of the school a man in a straw scarecrow costume chuckled at the scene he created. "I've still got it," Scarecrow laughed.

"I think we've got you a target that will definitely get birdie boy out in the open," Harley Quinn said running up behind him with some folders under her arm. "Here look at these." She said pushing a folder at him.

"What the?"

"Opps!" Harley chuckled nervously, pulling the pictures away, "That's me and Mr. J from last New Years, look at these!"

Scarecrow looked at the photos of Robin and a red head with a spiky ponytail sharing a shy kiss, "Ah, the boy has a girl, yes, yes this is useful."

"We looked her up, Dr. Crane," Harley said smiling, "Her name's Rika Nonaka, and a lot of people call her the Pokemon Queen! Here's her address, he'll surely come running to save his little bed bunny!"

"Yes, useful indeed." Scarecrow scoffed, turning his back on the students and making his way into the shadows.

----

The night was clear and the full moon made it easily visible as Takato found himself in his Robin uniform and very much alone.

"Hello, Robin," a soft feminine voice called from a head of him.

"Who's there?" Robin asked, reaching for his belt, finding the voice eerily familiar.

"Don't you remember me, Robin?" the girl spoke again stepping out of the shadows, making Robin's eyes grow wide.

"Annie?" Robin gawked at Clayface's daughter, who he watched murdered years earlier.

"Why did you forget me, Robin? You said you'd never forget me," Annie pressed walking toward him, "Why did you lie?"

"Annie, I …" Robin gulped, "How could I possibly forget you?"

"You forgot me," Annie stated sadly. "You only think about her now, so you forgot about me."

"I don't know what you're talking about," Robin stated, struggling to keep his cool.

"She's talking about me, Gogglehead," Rika said, walking out from nowhere. "So who's it going to be, Takato? Which one of us has your heart? Me or clay girl?"

"You can't have us both, Tim," Annie continued for her, as they both walked toward the stunned Robin. "You have to let one of use die? Who do you want to be with you forever and who parish?"

"How can I choose?" Robin asked, backing away.

"You have to choose," they said in unison as a mountain of clay rose from the ground and began to suck them both into it.

"Robin! Help me! Don't let me die again!" Annie called, reaching out for Robin.

"Goggles, Takato, please, don't leave me! Please, help, help me!" Rika begged, reaching out with both hands from the opposite side of the clay pile.

"You can't have um both, Kid," Robin heard Clayface's voice laugh, "one's gotta live and one's gotta die. So which is it?"

"I … I … I …"

---

"I DON'T KNOW!" Takato screamed, sitting up in his bed, breathing heavily. He brought both his hands to cover his sweat-covered face. "Annie …" he sighed. Takato then took a glance at the clock, which said 12:22 A.M, before kicking his feet out over the side of the bed. "Maybe … it is time I let you go."

Takato reached over to the drawer on his night table and pulled out a small, framed photo of his old family. He saw himself a few years ago, his hair was a different color but it was he. A read headed teenaged girl had her arms around his neck and an older teenaged boy had his hand on his head ruffling his hair. Beside the boy was a stiff looking older man in a tux. And in the back was a brooding man in his late thirties.

"I miss you guys," Takato sighed, before putting the photo back where he got it. He then pulled the costume from under his mattress; the night was still young and there was a Scarecrow to track.

---

Meanwhile, Rika sat in her room, trying to concentrate on setting up her card deck with some new cards she bought earlier that day. "What's the deal with Robin," She asked out loud, "I know I know him from somewhere else … but I can't put my finger on it. He is a hell of a kisser though …" she added drifting off dreamily.

"What am I doing?" she asked herself, "I'm the Digimon Ice Queen, I don't go Ga-ga over some exceptionally hot guy wearing skin tight … form fitting … tights over his … nicely shaped tush-STOP IT!"

"Am I interrupting your conversation with yourself, Rika?" Renamon asked fazing into the room.

"Don't know what you're talking about," Rika said quickly, not looking up from her deck.

"You've been thinking about the so-called 'Boy Wonder', haven't you?" Renamon asked.

"Don't see where you got that idea," Rika replied dully.

"You let your hair down and brushed it without tying it back up," Renamon pointed out, "I have never really seen you do that before."

Rika unconsciously reached up and twirled a strand of her hair, which came down just below her shoulders when freed. "Damn observant fox," she complained, before glancing up at her Digimon Partner, "Any idea who's behind that mask?"

"All I can tell you is that we both know of him. I at one time thought that I knew him, but I am rethinking that fact now," Renamon stated nodding slowly.

"Any names, maybe?" Rika pressed.

"I am afraid I cannot say," Renamon stated, "I have given my word to secrecy, please forgive me."

"Fine," Rika sighed before standing up only to throw herself down on her bed unceremoniously, then brought her fingers to her lips, as if remembering the sensation of kissing Robin.

The Boy Wonder's kiss had a sweet taste. She could taste cola and a breath mint, but under all that she could taste the faintest hint of bread. "Bread?" Rika asked, her eyes narrowing slightly, but quickly shook her head, "It couldn't be … probably gets bread at Taka- Gogglehead's. Might ask Goggles about any teenaged boys who come in tomorrow," She spoke more to herself then to Renamon as she rolled over and hugged her pillow.

She then closed her eyes, as sleep began to over take her, not noticing the gas grenade that had been thrown through her open window.

---

"Quiet night," Robin said as he glided through the air over an alleyway, and landed gracefully on the top of a chimney. "With Scarecrow in town I figured I'd at least hear one scream… where could straw brain be?"

He pulled back his glove and saw the time was two thirty AM. "Better head back for some shut eye, but might just check on her real quick on the way …" He then pulled his grappling hook from his utility belt and fired it at a overhang across the street.

Robin swung to Rika's two-story home, and crawled silently along the roof. He rubbed the bare part of his arms, the chilly night air made him tremble slightly, but then something made his blood run cold. "Her window's open … it's a cold night, and she barely opens it during the summer."

He stealthily made it to the window, and easily recognized the sound of someone crying. He quickly flipped through the window and gasped at the sight of the proud Digimon Renamon curled in a ball on the floor and tears flowing down her muzzle.

"Please … someone please … please let me out … too tight … can't breathe … let me out … please …" She whimpered as her body trembled with sobs.

"Claustrophobia," Robin nodded as he helped Renamon to a seated position and looked into her glazed over eyes, "Renamon, your not trapped, it's an illusion. Relax, it will pass soon … it's alright now …"

"Ta-Takato?" Renamon gasped, "Help me. Let me out, I don't like it here, please …"

Robin sighed, before glancing around Rika's room and finally caught eyes on what he was looking for, Rika's D-Arc. "Renamon, will you let me use Rika's D-Arc on you, I'm not sure if it will work but if it does it will help you."

"Anything, just please … please help me …" Renamon cried, trembling more.

Robin took Rika's deck and began to search through it before his eyes lit up behind his domino mask. He then looked up toward the sealing, "Please, God, if you ever, ever going to help me, help me here," He then took the card and the D-Arc, "Digi-Modify! Anti-Toxin!" He said loudly as he swiped the Anti-Toxin card. "Please work …" He whispered, as he watched to see if it had any effect on the Digimon.

"T-Takato?" Renamon asked, as her eyes focused and she found herself leaning against Rika's bed.

"Where's Rika?" Robin asked, standing up and letting his cape drape over his shoulders.

"I … I don't know …" Renamon said, steadying herself, "I was watching her about to go to sleep then suddenly I found my self in that excruciating small room … I am uncertain what happened to her …"

Robin then glanced over to Rika's pillow and found a small note. He quickly grabbed it up, "Hello, Birdboy, it has been too long since we met last, I do hope you are doing well. I have your girlfriend right here with me; her fear was quite an entertaining one I might say. But, I am afraid she may be cheating on you, Timmy my boy, she keeps calling out for some Takasho or something like that, hard to understand with her sobbing and her animal's screams while I try to write this. Or could that be what you are going by these days? Whichever the case, if you wish to see her healthy and alive again, come to this address without any of those interesting Digi-things. I look forward to seeing you again, Mr. Drake. Your friend, Dr. Crane."

"Scarecrow …" Robin growled venomously, as he wadded the paper in his hand.

"I'll bring her home," Robin said as he started toward the window.

"Rika is my Tamer," Renamon said, struggling to stand, "I'm coming too."

"The fear toxin still has you weak, you'll only be in my way," Robin stated coldly, "Scarecrow can still effect you, but he can't mess with me. My worst fear is already happening."

"Good luck, Takato," Renamon nodded after the boy had already disappeared.

---

Robin made his way to an old alley in down town Shinjuku as the note directed. His heart was beating so hard he was afraid if Scarecrow were close he would hear his heart easily. Then Robin heard a vaguely familiar voice. It sound almost like Rika, but her fire and confidence was missing. "D-Daddy … don't go … please don't go … no …" he heard, as he approached the teenaged girl with her face hidden with her knees and hand from her place on the ground. To Robin's fear, it was in fact Rika.

"Are you ok?" Robin asked using his low 'Batman' voice.

"T-Takato …" Robin heard Rika murmur, and he froze in his tracks.

"Don't h-hate me," she cried, pressing her hands so tightly to her face her fingernails cut into her forehead, "Please don't leave me, please don't hate me, please!" She cried out, her body trembling with loud sobs.

Robin, forgetting the fact he was in costume, quickly went to her side, "Rika, I could never hate you, never," He said pulling her to him, futilely brushing away at the river of tears coming from her glazed over eyes. "Fight it, Rika, you're stronger then his toxin. Where's my Ice Queen?"

"T-Takato … Daddy … I'm sorry … please don't hate me …" she whimpered into his chest as if she couldn't hear him at all.

"Takato?" Scarecrow called from the shadows, "Boy, you are beginning to gain more names then your ex-partner."

"What are you doing here? Why have you Ivy and Harley come here?" Robin asked letting the trembling Rika go, and standing to face the psychopath.

"You think we're it, 'Takato'?" Scarecrow laughed, "We have a whole bunch of buddies who want to see your wings clipped and have some robin stir fry!"

"I don't care, if you mess with anyone in my city," Robin growled, giving Scarecrow a glare that would of made his 'father' proud, "I will hunt you all down, and make you sorry."

"You can not take fear tactics on a master of fear, Boy Wonder!" Scarecrow laughed.

"Oh really, what are you afraid of?" Robin asked, letting his cape wrap around him. "Do you know, Dr. Crane, what they do to people like you in Japanese prisons, a little man like you, near feminine frame? Oh I'm sure they will treat you really nice."

"You'll have to have me arrested first," Scarecrow back stepped slightly, "You aren't The Batman."

"You're right, but he taught me everything I know," Robin stated stepping toward the now slightly trembling criminal.

Scarecrow brought a vial of green chemicals from his belt and prepared to throw it at Robin, but suddenly the vial exploded from an 'R' shaped throwing star flying through it. The chemical spilled on the screaming Scarecrow's face. A moment later the arch criminal dropped to his knees crying out for mercy from 'the Bat'.

Robin went to work tying up the Scarecrow upside down from a light pole. "Who's with you? I know Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn, but who else?" Robin asked grabbing him by the collar, "Answer."

"Please, mercy Batman, mercy," Scarecrow cried, not even aware of Robin's presence.

"Damn," Robin cursed, before the loud sobbing behind him reminded him of his other worry.

"Rika?" Robin asked using his Takato voice, looking down at Rika who was curled in a ball on the ground. All he got was a series of mumbled sobs, but he could make out his own, Ryo's, and Renamon's names and the occasional 'Daddy'. He quickly pulled off his cape, and wrapped it around Rika's trembling shoulders and picked her up to cradle her in his arms. He was more the a little surprised at how light she felt.

Robin quickly made his way back to her home, and climbed into her window.

"Rika?" Renamon asked worriedly approaching the two Tamers.

"She's going to be alright, just a strong dose of fear toxin," Robin said laying her down in her bed, and pulled the blankets up around her. "Keep a close eye on her until the toxin is out of her system," Robin instructed, starting to move away from a bed until Rika reached up and gripped his arm almost painfully.

"No, goggles, don't leave, don't leave me alone," She whimpered fearfully. Robin glanced back around in shock, only to see her eyes were still glazed over.

Robin let out a sigh of relief, before taking off his mask followed by his gloves, boots, and vest. "Mind going to my place and picking up my long pajamas, and dropping these off?" He asked, handing the outer bulk of his uniform and his cape to Renamon. The Kitsune Digimon nodded and phased out, leaving the two teens alone. Takato sighed sitting down on Rika's bed, before freezing as she literally crawled in his lap.

"This is going to be a long night …"

----

Rika moaned as the morning sun's rays shown on her sore eyes. Her head pounded but for some reason she had never felt more content in her entire life. She could almost imagine she was with the guy of her dreams with his arms around her waist, and her head resting on his chest, listening to his heart beat and slow steady breaths. And as her mind focused awake, strangely the fantasy didn't fade at all.

Her hand went up to what she was laying on, it was smooth, somewhat soft, but firm almost like a muscular chest. Then she 'eep'ed at the voice, "Stop it, Guilmon, that tickles …"

"WHAT THE HELL?" Rika exclaimed sitting quickly to see Takato still sleeping soundly in her bed, one of his hands unconsciously still resting on her hip. Her eyes then widened when the hand slid down over her butt down to her thigh, "YOU GODDAMN PERVERT!!!!" She screamed elbowing the unconscious Takato in the crotch, waking him up immediately.

Takato screamed in a high-pitched voice, as she literally kicked him out of the bed, and continued to stomp the poor boy while he was on her hard wood floor. "Get up, and GET OUT!" She screeched, as Takato tried to shield his face from her brutal kicks. "GET OUT! GET OUT! GETOUTGETOUTGETOUTGETOUT!!!!!"

Takato scrambled on his hands and knees, praying Renamon would show up and save him, but alas she was no where to be found. Takato pulled himself to his feet and made for the stairs leading to the front door, but as soon as he got upright, one of Rika's school books made contact with the back of his skull sending him tumbling down the stairs.

Takato landed on his hands and knees and quickly made a dash for the door. He got there and began fumbling with he lock, as he glanced back at the approaching red-faced, pissed Rika drawing closer. He finally got the door open and shot out with a shout of "I'MSORRYRIKARENAMONWILLEXPLAINSORRYSORRY!" and with that he made a mad dash for home.

Rika stood there steaming, watching him run down the street. She shook her head, trying to steady herself, when a strange thought entered her mind, "When did Gogglehead get muscles?"

----

"So he got Crane," Two Face sighed from his desk, "Ivy, Harley, go get straw boy out of jail before he draws too much attention."

The two women nodded and exited before Two Face turned to the large mass of clay, "Ok, think you can handle one of these 'Digimon'?" Two Face asked, smirking at the confident laugh the mutation let out.

"Boss, only one way to find out huh?" Clayface laughed, but first I gotta find out about these kids, play my cards right and I won't have to fight at all."

"Whatever," Two Face said, flipping his coin, "Do with the brats and Digimon what you want. But I want the bird alive."

To Be Continued …