Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Mixed Feelings ❯ Same Boat ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Mixed Feelings 2

Same Boat

Disclaimer: I do not own Digimon.

Izzy always knew what he wanted to do. It had to be something involving computers and technology. He was going to go to Tokyo U after high school but he didn't tell Yolei he was accepted. Yolei thought they'd go to the same college together. He and Yolei became an item not long after the fall of Malomyotismon and the Digiworld was safe from danger. He wasn't planning on dating anyone, but the two just happened. They were comfortable with each other. They did projects together and were growing very close. Izzy wasn't a romantic, but he liked spending time with Yolei. He was now a senior and she was a sophomore in high school.

"Hi, Izzy," said Yolei, sneaking up behind him in the computer lab and putting her arms around his neck. "Whatcha working on? Need any help?"

"No," he replied, turning around, "Yolei, listen, I have something to tell you."

"What's wrong, Izzy?" Yolei asked.

Izzy sighed. "I've been accepted to Tokyo U. I'll be leaving right after graduation."

"Oh, Izzy, that's…that's wonderful!" she exclaimed. "I'm so happy for you!" she put her arms around him.

Izzy looked surprised, "I thought you'd be upset. The truth, Yolei, how do you feel?"

Yolei frowned, "well, I'll miss you. But, I know they have a good computer program there. You'd do great. We'll write each other all the time. I'll come and visit you too." She matured over the years. She didn't want him to go too far from her, but she didn't want him to hang around for her. It hurt her, though. What would she do while he's away? She put on her best smile. "I'm proud of you, Izzy."

Izzy smiled at her trying to be strong and wrapped his arms around her. "You can come to Tokyo U after you graduate. We can go together."

"Yeah," Yolei said, nodding, "that's great."

****

In New York, Mimi was preparing to graduate High School. After she graduated, she planned to go to the modeling school in New York. Since Mimi began living in New York, she dated many guys. Almost every weekend, she would go out with a different guy, probably doing something entirely different than the date before. Hot-blooded American teenage boys were almost lined up to take the Japanese-American girl out on a date. It wasn't until her senior year of high school when Mimi decided she wanted a more stable relationship. Her good American friend--Michael--also a digidestined, have become quite an item. Boys were jealous; and the couple awed girls. Michael had plans to go to New York University, just like everyone else, but he wasn't sure what to major in. He was the son of a major movie star but he didn't really want to follow in his father's footsteps.

They both worked part time at the mall to save for college. Mimi was at her desk studying for a test, or at least trying to study.

"I can't wait until graduation," she groaned, "I'm tired of studying! Why would I have to study anyway if I'm going to be a famous model?" She leaned back in her chair and daydreamed, what it would be like to be a hot supermodel. She would be famous worldwide and very rich with a big house on the hill, a big swimming pool and a tennis court--not that she liked tennis but all the rich and famous people owned tennis courts. When her friends came to visit her, she could play tennis with Sora all the time. Mimi sighed, she missed her friends from Japan, even though she did love America quite well. Part of her wanted to go back home. She made a personal note to visit her friends in Japan and take a semester break when she enrolled in modeling school.

****

Joe Kido was attending medical school and working at the hospital as an orderly. There, he met a blind patient named Gwen and fell in love with her. He visited her whenever he could and when they had surgery done on her eyes that could bring back her eyesight, he never left her side.

{Author's Note: I'm using my fan-made character Gwen from my other fanfic 'Blinded by Love' you may want to check it out}

When Gwen got her eyesight back, she went back to law school to become a lawyer. Gwen and Joe became a serious item and dated when they weren't busy with work or school.

"You're going to be a doctor soon, Joe," she told him as they were at his apartment watching a movie. "Just two more years of medical school."

"Time flies, doesn't it?" he asked, clasping his palms together and leaning forward on the sofa. "I only worked so hard to become a doctor because that's what my dad wanted me to be."

"You don't have to be a doctor if you don't want too, Joe," Gwen said. "Be what you want. Jim decided he didn't want to be a doctor anymore and went to folklore and myths. He's Mr. Takenouchi's assistant."

"Yeah," Jim said, "but now that I'm in medical school and so close to becoming a doctor, I feel this is what I got to be. It's…my calling, you know? I've got to stay reliable and doctors are one of the most reliable people in the world."

Gwen nodded and smiled, "well, Soon-to-be Doctor, I'm sure you'll make a great doctor."

Joe smiled back, "Thanks, Gwen."

*****

Matt walked into a coffee house for a quick smoothie while he was on the run. He felt a little torn between what he wanted to be. What was his calling? He made a high school band and he was the singer, but will it last forever? He noticed someone familiar from the corner of his eye in a booth as he was leaving the coffee house.

"Huh?" he mumbled and went to the booth. "Hey, TK! What are you doing here?"

"Matt!" TK cried. He looked up from a black and white writer's journal. "I'm just doing an assignment for my writing class."

"Since when did you decide to become a writer?" Matt said, sitting across from his brother.

"Since it became so natural," TK said, "and besides, I thought the class would be easy. So, what's it like being out of high school, big brother?"

Matt let out of sigh, "it sucks. I don't know what I wanna do."

"I thought you kept saying you're going to be a famous rock star," TK said, taking a sip of coffee, "oh, coffee is so gross! Ick!"

"Well, after I became one, I'm not sure if the glamour will stick," Matt said, "and why are you drinking coffee?"

"I thought if I was the right environment," TK said, "I'd be able to write something. Many famous authors write in coffee houses, look around you! People will read poems here every Friday."

Matt took a look around. TK was right; there were people writing on something at almost every table.

"Whoa," Matt mumbled. "So, TK, what are you writing?"

"Oh, I'm supposed to write about my worst fear," TK said.

"Bugs?"

"No!" TK groaned, "You know, a point of my life when I was very afraid."

"TK, I don't think your teacher would understand the time when we fought Devimon in the digital world," Matt smirked.

TK laughed and shook his head. "Wrong again." He looked down at his page and Matt leaned forward to sneak a peak. He got the title: 'My Worst Fear.'

TK continued to write, "I'm writing about the time Kari disappeared. I've never been so afraid in my entire life."

"Oh, that's sweet, TK!" Matt grinned.

"It's not funny, Matt," TK sneered. "I was very scared for her."

"Sorry, so what've you got so far?" Matt asked, "Can I read it?"

"I'm not done, but, okay," TK handed it to him.

My Worst Fear by Takeru Taikashi

A time when I was very afraid was when a very good friend of mine disappeared. Not only did she disappear once, but twice. I was just in grade five when it happened. Something strange was happening to my friend. I don't know if she was sick or if she was fading away. She left class and I got a strong feeling that I should go find her. I went everywhere looking for her--I even tried the girls' bathroom. My heart was beating like a hummingbird's. I was afraid I lost her forever. I found her outside sitting by herself. She was scared. She told me that things were trying to take her away. I told her how I felt about her, that I cared too much about her to let someone take her away. Then I left and I shouldn't have done that. That was when she disappeared again. I looked all over for her and I was so afraid that I lost her for good. But my hard work paid off and I found her.

"I'm still trying thinking of an ending," TK said.

"Are you going to show Kari this?" Matt asked, handing him the notebook back.

TK shrugged, "maybe."

Matt grinned, "my brother the novelist."

TK laughed, "my brother the undecided graduate."

Matt scowled and leaned back, "Hey, I'll think of something. My band is going to do one more album before we split up. It's going to be special, Out of this World."

"I hope so."

"No, really, that's what the title of the album will be. Out of This World." Matt explained, "See, we're going to do music videos with a space them."

"Space?"

"Yeah."

"You're not thinking of becoming an astronaut now are you?" TK asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Maybe I am, maybe I'm not," Matt shrugged. "Gotta consider the future, you know."

"Yeah, well, I'm sure you'll find something. Hey, you should probably take Gabumon with you to the moon!"

Matt laughed as he stood up, "That doesn't sound like too bad of an idea. If I wanted to become a scuba diver, I couldn't' take him with me because he'd stink!"

Both brothers laughed and Matt patted TK on the back. "Well I gotta go. We start shooting the video today. I just came in for a smoothie."

"Tell me how it goes," TK said, "and…GOD SPEED!"

Matt sighed and walked away. TK chuckled as he took another drink of coffee, "man…this stuff's nasty!"

*****

As for Kari, she wanted to become a teacher. She studied hard all the time. She wanted to be the best schoolteacher in Japan. The problem was, she didn't know it was so hard to become one. She was still in school herself and had time to change her plans. Tai changed his plans from being a professional soccer player and became interested in politics. He was planning on moving out of the apartment and saving enough money. Kari knew it was just a way for him to get his mind of Sora. He was still in love with her, even if Sora began dating Matt.

Kari licked her finger and yawned before turning the next page. "I hope I don't give my students this much homework. If I do become a teacher, maybe I'll teach second or third grade. It's easier." Kari folded her arms onto her book and fell asleep.

*****

Jun paced the doors outside of the studio. She knew Matt was in there and Sora was probably with him too. Jun still had some things she wanted to say to Matt, but she couldnit if Sora was there. Jun didn't have enough strength to walk in there alone. She sighed and sat down on a bench.

"It's useless," she mumbled.

"What is?" asked a voice standing over her. She turned and saw Tai.

"Oh, hello, Tai," Jun said.

"Hi Jun." Tai said. "So what's so useless?"

"Well..it's nothing."

"Try me." Tai sat down.

"Well, I was thinking about Matt," Jun explained. "They're shooting for his new album. I'd like to go in and talk to him but I don't think I can."

"I bet Sora's in there," Tai said.

"Is there, something you want to say to her?" Jun asked.

"There are some things I've always wanted to tell her, but never got the chance."

"This may sound silly, but, ah--" Jun trailed off.

"What?"

"Well, you still like Sora and I still like Matt," Jun said, "maybe we can walk in together and try to make them jealous. Worth a shot, wouldn't you say?"

Tai stared without replying.

Jun groaned, "I knew it was a cracked out idea."

"Maybe not," Tai grabbed her hand, "come on." They walked inside the studio together and sure enough, there was Matt with is band and Sora standing off to the side. Tai and Jun came up beside Sora and Tai made an effort for Sora to become jealous by putting his arm around Jun.

"Hi, Sora," Tai greeted.

Sora smiled but didn't say hi to either of them. Jun and Tai exchanged glances. It didn't appear to be working. What were they doing wrong? Matt was still singing and didn't pay any attention to them. Tai decided to sit down and he took Jun with him.

"It's not working," he whispered to her.

"Matt's still singing," Jun said. "He's too busy to notice us now."

"So we should just wait until they're done?" Tai questioned.

Jun nodded, "let's just be patient."

"Okay." They sat next to each other in silence, watching the practice. When it was over, Tai and Jun stood up to approach Matt and Sora.

"Hey, Matt," Tai said, "nice little performance. Out of this world."

Matt smirked, "well, it is the name of the album."

"Oh, right."

Jun made an effort to make Matt jealous by taking Tai's hand and pulling it up so that his right elbow was resting on her shoulder and her fingers were interlocking with his. She smiled at Tai and he smiled back. He put his other arm around her.

"So," Jun said, "how long are you going to keep shooting?"

"For a week or so," Matt shrugged, "we'll have to get everything so perfect, you know."

"But you guys already are," Sora said, putting her hands on his shoulder. Jun frowned. She was about to say just that.

"Thanks, Sora," Matt said.

There was an uncomfortable silence and Jun and Tai took this as their chance.

"Sora, I have to talk to you!" Tai cried, letting go of Jun and grabbing Sora's hand. He led her away from Matt before Matt can say another word and then he felt Jun pull on his arm.

"We have to talk, Matt," she muttered, pulling him to the opposite corner.

"Tai, what's wrong with you?" Sora shouted into a whisper.

"I've wanted to tell you this for a long time, Sora," Tai said. "So please, just hear me out. The least you can do is just listen to me. I've always cared for you. It was great having a girl like you on the soccer team and when you left, I was heartbroken. I actually cried when Datamon kidnapped you back in the digital world and that was the first time I cried since we were there. I bet the only other time I cried was when Kari got sick. It was all my fault that you were kidnapped and I'm sorry."

"Tai--" Sora began.

"No, just listen to me," Tai continued. "Let me finish."

Tai kept talking to Sora as Jun went on talking to Jun. They had to get their feelings out in the open. "I know you think I'm just another fan," Jun said, "but I really did like you. I was hurt when you never gave me the time of day."

"Jun--" Matt said.

"No, just listen to me," Jun stressed, "I've wanted to say this for a long time. Yes, I may have…thrown myself at you, but I couldn't help it. I made a mistake, but all I wanted was to get to know you a little better. It was mean that you left me behind and drove away when you went on that trip with your friends. If you didn't really like me, why didn't you just say so? You were trying to be nice, but you really didn't mean it, did you? You didn't want to hurt my feelings, but guess what, you did. You broke my heart and I'll never forgive you for it."

She stopped for him to reply. He said nothing. He looked away. He couldn't' even apologize.

"I hate you, Matt," Jun said, her fist tightening, "I never thought I'd hear myself say it, but I hate you. I can't stand to be around you anymore."

"I know I was a coward not trying to save you," Tai said, "and I let you get away. But why, Sora, why did you quit the team when you had feelings for me? Why did you have to run to my best friend? Didn't you stop to think that I'd probably feel the same way?"

"I…I dunno," Sora whispered.

"You don't know?"

Sora frowned and looked at the ground. "I'm sorry, Tai. I didn't know what else you have to do."

"I'm sorry too," Tai said. "Sorry that I had to change everything about me because of you. I'm sorry that I wasted my time loving you when you didn't love me back. Now, because of what you did, we'll never get a chance. I hope you're happy. Have a nice life…one that I couldn't share with you."

After talking to Matt and her emotions brought on tears, Jun walked to Tai and pulled on his hand. "Come on, let's get out of here, Tai," she said pathetically.
"Yeah," Tai muttered, stepping away. "I think we've said all we needed to say. See ya around."

Tai and Jun walked away with their relief, leaving Sora and Matt alone with their guilt.

"I deserved to hear that," Sora mumbled. "I don't blame Tai for feeling that way."

"I should've just been straight with Jun," Matt said. "I think it's a good thing I'm not going to stay in the music business. I don't want to give any more fans the wrong idea."

*****

Tai and Jun walked until they got to the bridge.

"So much for making them jealous," Tai mumbled.

Jun wiped her tears. "I feel so much better now." She said, "but I wish I didn't have to say it."

"I should've had that talk with Sora years ago," Tai said, leaning against the railing. "Maybe the way she'd reply would be different."

"What did you want to say to her back then, Tai?" Jun asked, interested.

"Hmm?"

"Pretend I'm Sora," Jun stepped in front of him and smiled, "and tell me what you've wanted to tell her. Not what you just told her now…"

"Well, Jun--"

"No, I'm Sora now, for the time being." She pushed him gently, "remember? Come on, Tai, I'll be Sora and you just tell me all the good things you wanted to tell her."

"Oh, Right…Sora," Tai smiled, "well, ever since we were kids, I always liked you. I felt so honored to have you on the soccer team and I was glad we went to the digital world together. I wouldn't let anything bad happen to you. I love you, Sora."

Jun sighed and tucked a piece of hair behind her ear. "Then what?"

"Well, I always imagined that Sora would say the same thing back."

"Okay. I love you too, Tai."

Tai sighed and looked down, "I wish I got to hear her really say that."

"I'm sorry you got hurt, Tai," Jun said.

"I'm sorry you got hurt."

There was a small silence and Jun looked up at Tai's eyes, "after you told her and she told you, what happened next?"

Tai smiled and felt a little awkward for a moment. He caught Jun's gentle stare and blushed. Deep down, he felt something inside. "Then we'd, um," he lost his voice, "she would smile and then I'd…" his words failed and he took Jun in his arms softly and looked her over. He somehow hated Matt for never getting to be this way with Jun. It was all she wanted. Tai then forgot that. It didn't matter anymore. He'd told Sora how he felt about her then and how he felt about her now, how hurt he was for her leaving him for his best friend. There was no point in dredging it. Tai got lost in Jun's eyes and she spoke quite shakily.

"And?" she asked, "then, t-then what?"

"Then," Tai said slowly, lowering his face to Jun's, "I would, kiss her."

Jun's eyes widened as their lips met. She always dreamed that it would be Matt kissing her but instead, she was getting the kiss from his best friend. It didn't seem to matter. The two were in the same boat. They were hurt from the ones they loved. It was only natural that they would turn to each other for comfort. Tai's lips felt so soft and he kissed her the way he always wanted to kiss Sora but never go the chance. Jun didn't seem to mind. Her eyes relaxed and she kissed him back with fervor. It felt so good to be touched, kissed, and cared for this way. They stopped kissing and pulled back, gasping for air and staring into each other's eyes.

"Whoa," was all Tai managed to get out.

"Yeah," Jun agreed, also taken back.

"Some kiss."

"Uh-huh."

"Well, uh…" Tai let go of her and stepped back. He cleared his through, "that's what I always thought would happened with me and Sora."

"I guess things never do happen like we expect, do we?" Jun asked.

"No, unfortunately," Tai said.

"Do you feel any better?"

"A little, thanks."

There was a small awkward moment a silence. Tai took her hand. "I'd should get you home."

"Okay, thanks, Tai."

Neither of them knew it, but that was the beginning of their new relationship.

TBC