Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Mixed Feelings ❯ Back Again ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Mixed Feelings 4

Back Again

The day finally came for Mimi to take her two-week break. Her roommate Alexis went to see you off. "The apartment's going to be so empty without you," Alexis said, keeping herself from frowning.

"Hey, don't give me that face, Alexis," Mimi said. "It'll be just two weeks. When I come back we'll have a party or something."

"Be sure to write."

"I will," Mimi promised, "and I'll call as soon as I land in Japan."

The two girls embraced and Mimi stepped away. She picked up her carry-on bag and before she walked onboard, she waved goodbye to her roommate.

"Sayonara, Alexis," Mimi joked.

Alexis chuckled, "Take care, Mimi."

Mimi sighed and went to her assigned seat. Unfortunately, it wasn't a window seat. Someone was already sitting in that one. She had the aisle seat. After putting her bag above, she sat down to look at her other tickets.

New York to Illinois

Illinois to Denver

Denver to LA

LA to Hawaii

Hawaii to Tokyo.

"I'm going to be in the air for a long time," she groaned.

****

Jun Motimiya was roommates with Yolei's older sister Momoe. They were both working part time and going to the university. Momoe worked part time in a dental office doing paperwork and Jun worked at a bakery. Today was Jun's day off, but Momoe had to work. Jun was working on an assignment for her English class.

She heard a knock on the door and went to answer it. It was Tai.

"Oh, hello," she said, welcoming him, "what brings you by?"

"Is Momoe here?" Tai asked.

"No, she left for work half an hour ago."

"Are you busy?"

"Just doing some homework."

Tai grinned, "I just had to tell someone."

"Okay, well, what is it?" she questioned.

"All that hard work paid off."

"Yeah?"

"I wanna show you something," he grabbed her hand and pulled her out of the apartment. "It's awesome."

"Tai, what's going on?"

"You'll see." He dragged her to his car, which was new and sparkling. It wasn't his old one.

"This isn't your car," she said as he urged her in. He hurried to the other side. "Tai, what's going on here? Did you get a new job?"

"You bet I did," he said, still grinning. "Just wait until you see my office!"

Within thirty minutes to an hour, they got to a big white building. Jun had to crane her neck to see the top. Tai put his arm around her and walked briskly with her into the building. They took the elevator to the 14th floor. As they waited, Jun started to interrogate her friend.

"Tai, how did this happen so soon?" she asked. "I knew you were studying politics, but, you've already made it?"

"Not quite," he said and the elevator doors opened. They left and went to his new and spacious office.

"What do you think?" he questioned, "high class, huh?"

When she got her breath back, she nodded and said quietly, "Wow." She touched his desk and went to the window. "Oh, Tai, you've got a wonderful view! You can see almost the whole city from up here!"

"I'm on top of the world," Tai said, coming to her side.

"Is this why you brought me here?"

"Yes. I had to tell someone." He went to his large chair, spun in a full circle and put his feet up on the desk, sighed and put his hands behind his head. "I'm telling ya, Jun, I've never been happier."

She walked to his desk and leaned forward, "what happened?"

"I made an essay," he replied, "spoke in my debate class and guess what?"

Jun shrugged.

"The president of this place happened to be there."

"No way!" she gasped, "and he heard you speak?"

"That's right, baby!" he laughed. "Right after I spoke, he came right up to me and said," Tai cleared his throat and made it low, bold and powerful, "'Son, that was the best speech I heard in years. Want a job?'"

"He was so impressed that he offered you a job on the spot?" Jun questioned in amazement, "Musta been some speech. Some people are afraid about standing in front of people."

"Well, I'm not." Tai said, "I'm not afraid of anything."

"What did your family say?" she asked.

Tai shrugged, "Hadn't told them yet."

"Wha?"

"You're the first I've told," he said, pulling his legs down and sitting up straight.

"I don't understand," she asked, "I'm sure you'd tell them first."

"They'll find out when they see the news tonight." He winked.

"When did this guy offer you a job?"

"Yesterday."

She was still rather uneasy, "Tai, why did you tell me instead of your parents?"

"I wanted them to be surprised," he explained, "but I still wanted to tell someone the good news, you know. You were the first one I thought of."

She smiled, "I'm touched. Wow, congratulations, Tai. I know you'll be wonderful."

"Thanks, Jun."

There was an odd silence. Since that day at Matt's studio when they told Matt and Sora off, they've gotten closer. It started out just bearing each other's loss. They were both hurt badly, feeling deeply for someone and not getting the same feelings in return. They were both in the same boat and it was their losses that brought them together. With a loss started a new gain. They never thought about it until now. Tai and Jun were friends and they spoke to each other a lot. Listening to each other when no one else would. It was understandable why Tai told Jun first than anyone else. Still, why her?

"It amazes me you're here when I expected you to become a professional soccer player," Jun said suddenly.

"Huh? How'd you know that?"

She grinned, "you told me once. Besides, I knew you played soccer. Davis was on your team. He wanted to become a professional soccer player too." Jun grinned, "then when you said you weren't going to do it, he didn't want to either. I knew he was just following in your footsteps. He wanted to be just like you."

"You give a guy a your goggles and he wants to be just like you," Tai sighed, "He's after my sister too."

She giggled, "I know."

"I don't wanna know what would happen if Davis became a politician," Tai groaned.

"Nah, he said he wanted to open a noodle cart."

"A noodle cart?"

"I know, but hey, they'd better be good noodles." She sat on the corner of her desk. "But at least he's got a dream. Mine's been shot down."

"What was that?" he asked.

"No, I really shouldn't," she said, shaking her head. "It's stupid."

"You can tell me."

"I wanted to marry Matt and tour with him," she groaned. "But that's not going to happen. He's quitting the music business after this tour and he's going to land on the moon. I bet he's going to marry Sora too."

Tai cringed at the thought of Sora marrying his best friend. "Oh."

"I told you it was stupid," she sighed.

"It's not stupid. Hey, just because your dream isn't going to happen, I'm sure you'll get new dreams."

"Yeah, something will just come to me while I'm decorating a cake," she sighed. "But it's a job for now."

"We all don't know what we want," he thought, "but things will work out. I mean, look at me."

She nodded, "I'd like to be here myself."

"You can, you know."

"What?"

"I can make you my partner."

"Really?"

"Yeah, just say the word. We can go to Mr. Hisoka now if you want too."

"Tai I thought I was your partner," a voice inside his desk said.

"What was that?" Jun asked.

"I dunno," Tai replied, pulling out the lower drawer and there was Koromon. "Koromon! How'd you get in there?"

"I was sleeping."

Tai groaned and pushed the drawer back in. "Sorry," he quickly said to Jun, who as smirking into her hand.

"No problem."

"So, how 'bout it?" he questioned, somewhat nervous. He pushed a lock of hair back. "Wanna be my partner?"

Jun smiled and put out her hand, "Sure. You've got yourself a partner."

Tai grinned, surprised and shook her hand in a business-like manner. "All right, partner."

She sat on his desk, grinning at him and he grinned back. They chuckled a little bit and when they got over their "pre-business giddy-ness" they became serious again and looked at each other. Jun leaned forward to Tai and paused. Their eyes began to close as their lips puckered up. They had only kissed once and that was when Jun asked Tai to tell her what she always wanted to tell Sora, as a way to help him get it off his chest. However, this kiss was different. They couldn't deny that. Matt and Sora were leaving their minds. It no longer mattered to them that they couldn't be together. Tai was now with Jun and he didn't care that Sora was with Matt. Maybe they did belong together.

The kiss ended and they looked back at each other, blinking. "Wow." Tai said.

"I'd say we sealed this more on just a handshake, huh?" Jun asked.

"Yeah," he ran his hand through his hair and got up. He took her hand. "Come on, I want you to meet the prez. I'm sure he can hook you up with a job."

*****

Picking up her drawing pencils in class, a thought of a new outfit came to Sora's mind. She came up with many different designs and styles since she started going to designing school. Her idea of being a fashion designer started out as just a little doodle in her mother's shop when it was slow. Now, her idea was a dream. Design seemed so natural to her. She didn't want to go back to soccer or tennis or help run the family business with her mother.

This was the last day of class until next semester and Sora looked forward to the Holidays. Her father would be coming home for Christmas and she was going with Matt to a hot New Years Party.

"Wow, that is really lovely, Miss Takenouchi." The professor said, looking at her latest design. "Very, exquisite. Unique. Love the flowers."

"Yes," Sora said, "I help my mother at the flower boutique." She shrugged, "I guess that's where the idea came from. I would just doodle when times were slow."

"Brilliant. Did you start out just by sketching a flower and adding a model to it?"

"Yeah."

"Someday, Miss Takenouchi, you'll go places. I'm sure of it."

"Thank you," Sora smiled as her imagination got ahead of her. Her mind was flooded with her designs and she pictured herself owning a boutique of her own, not of flowers, but of clothes. Dozens, and dozens of high fashioned clothes. Her mother wouldn't have to worry about the slow days anymore. She could merge her boutique Sora's and the family flower shop will be a flower and fashion shop. When the time for her mother to retire, she could take on the responsibility and her mother wouldn't have to work again.

'Someday,' Sora thought, holding her pencil between her fingers, resting her chin on her hand with a wide grin on her face, 'Someday.'

*****

Side by side in the library, Ken and Yolei were working on a project together. They worked together on a lot of projects, helping with assignments. Sometimes they studied at each other's dorms. They warmed up to each other and were more comfortable. They still hadn't gone on a real date. Yolei was still wondering about her relationship with Izzy. It was hard being in separate schools, very hard.

Ken looked at Yolei as she hooked a piece of hair behind her ear. When they decided to call it a day, Yolei asked Ken what his plans were for the holidays.

Ken picked up his books. "I'll have Christmas dinner at my parents'."

"Yeah, me too," she said, "my mom always cooks a good meal. Her pumpkin pie is delicious!" she smacked her lips. They left the school library and walked down the hall.

"Can't beat my mom's yams," Ken teased.

"Oh?"

"Yeah."

"Well, I guess I've got to try some to make sure."

"Good. And I'll have a piece of that pie too. My mom also makes good pumpkin pie."

Yolei chuckled and rolled her eyes as they left the hall. "What about New Years?"

"I dunno."

"Well, Kari called me and invited me to her party." She said. "Since I'm going anyway, wanna join me?"

They stopped when they outside. It was quite chilly. He didn't answer her.

Yolei cleared her throat, "Izzy is busy. I already invited him and he said he couldn't make it. I think he'll be staying with his parents for the holidays."

Ken looked back at her in disbelief. It was true that Izzy was a busy guy, always working on something, but he wouldn't say he couldn't come visit his girl, would he?

Unless Izzy and Yolei were having problems, but she hadn't said anything before.

"We can talk about it later," Yolei said, shivering. "Merry Christmas!"

"Yeah, you too." Ken said. He waved at her as she took a bus back to her street. Maybe he would spend new years with Yolei. He didn't want her to be alone.

****

As Mr. Kamiya turned on the news, he was surprised to see his son being interviewed. "Well, I'll be. Honey, get in here! Kari!"

"What?" Mrs. Kamiya walked out of the kitchen, and Kari, holding a book, came out of her room.

"What's up?" Kari asked.

Mr. Kamiya could do nothing but point. Kari and Mrs. Kamiya gasped.

"Is that…is that my brother?" Kari questioned.

"Can I just say hello to my family quick?" Tai asked the interviewer. He didn't wait for a reply and went on talking, looking at the camera, "Look everyone, I'm on TV!" On his arm was a lady, no one other but Jun Motimiya.

Kari screamed, "Oh no…oh no! Tai is dating Jun…oh I hope Davis isn't watching this!"

****

"Tai and I are partners," Jun said to the reporter.

Davis was drinking a soda while he was channel surfing. He choked on it when he saw his sister live, on television, standing close to his crush's brother.

"What the?! First Matt, then Jim and now Tai?!" he demanded. "What is this world coming too?"

His parents, however were thrilled. "My baby's going to become president!" Mrs. Motimiya cried. "Isn't that wonderful?"

"Sure is, when are you going to going to do, son?" Mr. Motimiya demanded.

"I uh, wanna open a noodle cart." He answered dumbly.

"A noodle cart?"

"Hey, someone's gotta do it!" he jumped up, "why do you have to compare me to my sister, she's had crushes with every person and I've stayed true to my Kari!"

Mr. Motimiya glanced at the TV. "That'll be hard seeing that Tai is partners with Jun, won't it? If they get married, we'll be family, so…"

"No, no!" he ran to his room, screaming. "It's bad enough she's dating TB!"

****

Around midnight, an exhausted Mimi landed in Japan. Over 8 hours of the day were wasted by either flying in the air, landing, taking off or waiting for planes. Mimi was beat but fought to keep her eyes open to hail a taxi cab.

The taxi cab driver came to take her luggage and put it in the seat. He took a look at her and seemed to recognize her.

"Wait, are you a model?" he asked.

"Not yet," she replied tiredly. "I'm in modeling school."

"Wow, can I have your autograph?" he held out a pen. "Sign my…" he searched for something for her to sign and finding nothing, he offered her his hand. "Uh, my hand?"

"Sure." She scribbled her name on his hand and he opened the door. He asked her what she was doing in Japan.

"Used to live here," she yawned, "moved to New York when I was about thirteen. Back here to see some friends."

He dropped her off at a hotel. She was too tired to carry her bags, but she forced herself to keep going. 'Soon,' she thought, 'I can go to sleep!'

She registered, took her key and went to her room. She didn't even bother changing into her pink pajamas. She just dropped her luggage down in a corner, kicked off her shoes and fell atop her bed. Within seconds, she drifted off to a deep slumber.

It was good to be back in Japan. She was tired, but she was glad to be back.

TBC