Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Mixed Feelings ❯ Nurse Mimi ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Mixed Feelings 6

Nurse Mimi

Mimi learned Izzy's workplace and decided to go visit him and invite him to have lunch with her. When she got there, he wasn't around.

"I'm looking for Mr. Izumi," Mimi said to the front desk. "Have you seen him?"

"Oh, Izzy? Yeah, he left for the day about an hour ago," the lady explained, "poor guy, he fell asleep at his desk again. I don't know how he does it."

"Good," Mimi said, "he needed some rest. Thanks." Mimi left the building and went to her car. As she drove back to her hotel, she had a feeling she should go and check on Izzy. She turned back around and went to his apartment and walked up the stairs. As she started to knock, she noticed that the door was partway open with his keys in the keyhole.

"He had to be very tired," Mimi whispered, pushing it open, "Izzy?" Mimi stepped in, took the keys out and locked the door. "Izzy?" She expected to see him passed out on the floor, or even his couch, but he wasn't there. She found him in his bedroom, tucked underneath the covers with his face into his pillow. "There you are."

"Who's there?" Izzy questioned, lifting his face up.

Mimi stepped closer, "Just me, Izzy. Mimi."

"How'd you get in?"

"You left the door open," she said, "now I was tired when I came back from NY but I had enough sense to shut and lock my door."

"I left the door open?" he turned and sat up. He was even in his business clothes and they were wrinkled. He moaned and touched his head.

"Oh, Izzy, you look horrible," she leaned forward and felt his forehead. "Is Joe a doctor yet? We should have him take a look to you."

"I'm fine," Izzy muttered, "just need some rest."

"You probably haven't been eating well, have you?" she interrogated, "what was the last thing you had?"

"Coffee. Lots of coffee."

She raised her eyebrow, "you've been living on nothing but coffee?"

"I'd eat an energy bar every now and then," he mumbled, leaning back down. Mimi groaned and left the room.

"Where' you going?" he asked.

"To make you something to eat!" she cried, "honestly, Koushiro Izumi, you being a whiz of everything in the world, I thought you'd know enough to eat healthy! Geez!"

"I do eat right," he grunted, "I was the only one that'd try Mrs. Kamiya's recipies and I loved them…until they made me throw up…"

"You change out of those clothes and slip into your pajamas. Do you even own pajamas?"

"I do," he said, "but I was too tired too…"

"You'd sleep better if you were in pajamas," she told him, leaning against the wall, "Don't you work in that?"

"Okay, I'll change."

"Good, I'll make you some chicken soup," Mimi said, "do you have some?"

"You sure you know how to operate a stove?"

Mimi pursed her lips angrily and walked out of the room to search the kitchen for a can of chicken soup. But she found hardly anything. Izzy obviously didn't have enough time to go food shopping; he was even nearly out of coffee. She sighed, "I guess I'll go buy him some then."

She picked up his keys that she had laid on the counter, left the apartment nad locked the door again. "How come everything messes up when I'm not here?" she wondered out loud as she got into her car, "Sora and Tai never told each other their feelings they had for each other, Matt's quiting the music business, Tai's a politician and Izzy's a workaholic with nothing in his fridge!" she pulled out on her street, "Auugh! It's so frustrating, my friends in these crises. I hope nothing else happens when I leave." She went to the super market and bought milk, a few cans of chicken soup, eggs, orange juice, bread and some other things that Izzy probably didn't own.

When she got back to the apartment, Izzy was sitting on the couch with a handkerchief in hand, watching TV.

"Why aren't you in bed?" she demanded, putting the groceries on the counter.

"Still couldn't sleep," he moaned. "Ran out of sleep aids and….achoo! I think I'm catching something."

"To bed!" she exclaimed, pointing to his room, "I'll bring you some soup in a minute."

"I've tried," he said, "but I've got a pounding headache."

She groaned and pulled on his arm, lifted it around her head and helped him to bed. She even tucked him in and pushed a piece of hair out of the way. "Izzy, you've got to take more care of yourself." She saw a picture of them together on his nightstand. He had another photo of her on his desk at work. "Maybe I should call Yolei."

He shook his head, "No, I don't want to ruin her holidays too."

"You sure?"

"Yeah. You don't have to be here either, you know."

"I've come down here to see my friends," she insisted, "and I've decided to see you out of all them. If you want to go to Sora's party, you've got to get yourself well. Try to get some sleep and I'll be right back with some chicken soup, okay?"

"Okay."

She smiled and went to the kitchen to put the groceries away and cook the soup. After it was cooked, she poured it into a bowl atop a plate. She put crackers around the plate, added a glass of milk and a glass of orange juice with some asprin and a cold pill. She had it on a tray that she too bought at the store and went to give it to Izzy.

"Room service," she said, stepping inside.

Izzy, after having some sleep, opened his eyes and sat up. She put the tray over his lap and handed him the asprin and cold medacine, "here, take these. They'll help you feel better."

He popped them into his mouth and washed it down with some orange juice. He observed the tray. "I didn't know I had a breakfast tray."

"You don't," she said, "bought it at the grocery store with the food and medacine. I had a feeling you were out of that too."

Izzy raised an eyebrow, "why'd you buy this?"

"Because you probably haven't gone shopping in weeks," she replied. "I'll be right back. Now you make sure you finish that! I slaved over a hot oven for you." She grinned at stepped out of the room.

Izzy looked over the tray. Instead of the crackers being in the soup, they were around the outside of the bowl. It looked quite restaurant like. He broke some crackers in the soup, grabbed his spoon and took a bite. To his surprise, it was delcious. He ate it all.

A moment later, Mimi returned from watchng TV in the next room. She was impressed that it was finished.

"Wow."

"It hit the spot, thanks Mimi," Izzy said. "I didn't know you could cook."

"Hey, anyone can open up a can," she stated, "and I worked as a waitress in a restaurant. Some of the cooking can rub off."

"Well, it was delicious."

"Good. Anything else?" she asked. "There's some left."

"Really?"

"Yeah."

"Okay, sure. With toast and milk please. No juice."

She picked up his tray and returned with more soup, crackers, toast and just milk. He gave her his best smile, though he was started to feel the effect of the cold pill making him drowsy and sat up. She placed it over his lap and said his thanks. As she was about to leave the room, he spoke up.

"Uh, Mimi?"

"Yeah Izzy," she turned around.

"I um," he looked down at his bowl, thinking of what to say. "I uh, I'm glad that you're back."

"Missed me?"

Izzy nodded, "yeah. And thanks for coming in and checking on me. It's uh, very nice of you."

She smiled back, "why thank you Izzy. Let me know when you're finished." She closed the door behind her and went to watch TV and make herself something to eat. Izzy didn't let her know he was done, so she decided to go and check on him. Five spoonfuls of soup and a chunk of toast were left but he had finished all of his milk. Izzy was too full and too tired to finish. He'd fallen asleep.

"Aww," Mimi sighed, tiptoeing to his bed. She lifted the tray from him and went to put it away. She came back to pull the covers up to his chin and tuck a piece of hair behind his ear. Izzy was in need of a hair trim and shave but Mimi was still able to find herself to attractive to him. For a small second, she forgot that she was together with Michael and Izzy with Yolei and Mimi leaned over and pecked his cheek before leaving him again.

After doing some dishes and a little cleaning, Mimi wondered what else to do to help Izzy. She bought him some groceries, fed him and gave him medicine and cleaned up. Was there anything else? She looked back at Izzy's bedroom. He was sleeping soundly. Rest was what he needed, but she wanted to do something more to make him comfortable. Maybe a nice backrub would make him feel much better.

"Stop it, Mimi!" she muttered herself, "Izzy's a man, he'll be okay. You've got more friends to visit." As she went to the door, she stopped and looked at Izzy's keys she had placed on the counter. After a moment's consideration, moaning, she walked to the counter, picked up Izzy's keys and left.

In the morning, she'll come again.

****

Izzy woke up the next morning around 11:30. As he was going to the bathroom, he saw movement in the kitchen.

"What the?" He came closer and found Mimi cooking over the oven. "Mimi? Where you here all night?"

"Good morning! Sleep well?"

"I did, thank you." Izzy said. "But--"

"No, I didn't stay here after you fell asleep," she said, breaking eggs into a pan, "I just went home so you could rest. I let myself in with this morning so you could have breakfast."

"You didn't have to do that," Izzy said.

"It's okay, Izzy," she told him. "Now, how do you like your eggs?"
"Over easy."

"Okay," she put a lid over the pan, "they cook better this way, over easy, with a lid over it. You want breakfast in bed? I can--"

"I've been in bed long enough," Izzy sighed. "I think a shower will make me feel better."

"Make it a quick one," she insisted, "you don't want a cold breakfast, now do you?"

Izzy went to the bathroom while Mimi continued to cook him a breakfast of eggs, toast, sausage and orange juice. For herself, she made scrambled eggs. After an eight-minute shower, Izzy came out by the time the table was already set wearing his bathrobe.

"Wow, it smells great," Izzy sat down by his plate, "I could smell them in the shower."

"Oh, I almost forgot," Mimi said, moving to the fridge.

"Forgot what?"

Mimi placed down ketchup and a bag of jellybeans, "I remember you said you like your eggs with ketchup and jelly beans."

Izzy gasped, "You, you remember that?"

"Of course I did!" she exclaimed, sitting in her chair. "I don't know anyone else that eats their eggs with kechup and jelly beans. Hmmph, no wonder you're so ill."

"It's no crazier than eating eggs with maple syrup," he said biting into toast.

"Oh no?" she demanded, pouring a glob of maple syurp on her plate and dipped her eggs into them. "Don't knock it until you've tried it!"

"Mimi…"

"Ohh, no," Mimi said, holding a forkful of scrambled eggs marinated with maple syrupt, "try it! You'll try my eggs and I'll have some of yours."

"Well, since you've said it that way…" he opened his mouth and accepted the eggs. To his surpise, it was quite good. The syrup made the eggs sweet. "Hey, not bad. Now," he squirted ketchup on his eggs and sprinkled jellybeans over it. "It's your turn to try mine."

"I accept your challenge." She opened her mouth and he put the forkful of jellybeans, ketchup covered egg inside. The ketchup made the eggs tangy and the jellybeans were tart, sweet. It was a whole new egg-eating experience. "Eggs with ketchup and jellybeans. Who knew?"

"Glad you like them, Mimi," Izzy said, taking a bite of his own eggs, "wow, Mimi. These are great eggs."

"But they're just how you like them. Over easy with ketchup and jellybeans."

"Yeah, but they're--they're fantastic," Izzy said, "almost as good as my mom's. Do you cook sometimes at that restaurant you work at too?"

"Just sundaes and things," she replied, "but I do cook at home. Alexis and I take turns."

"Alexis?"

"My roommate."

"Oh."

They finished eating in silence. It was the best breakfast either of them ever had, and it wasn't just the food. It was the company.

After breakfast, Mimi picked up the plates. "I'll do the dishes for you."

"No, no--," he said, taking her hand, "You cooked, I'll do the dishes."

"Izzy, you're tired and sick," she said.

"Mimi, really, I can do the dishes," he told her. "I'm feeling better anyway."

"Why don't you go and get dressed?"

"Hey, this is my place. I can do my own dishes."

"Fine," she said, "I'll wash my dishes, and you can do yours."

Izzy chuckled. "Deal."

They washed their own dishes, rinsed and dried them. Izzy rubbed his neck as he put his last dish in the drainer.

"Your neck hurt?" she asked.

"Just a bit."

"Here, sit down." She pulled him to the couch, made him sit down in front of her and she sat on the couch as she started to rub his neck. "Let me see if I can get these knots out for you."

Izzy would've protested, but he didn't. It felt good. Her fingers went in little circles on top of his skin. Yolei used to do that. He missed her and hated that he couldn't' be with her around the holidays. He hoped she was having fun in Kyoto without him.

Mimi patted his shoulders when she was done.

"There now, better?" Mimi asked.

"Much, thank you." He got up, "I'll go and get dressed. Then we could--"

"Oh, sorry, Izzy," Mimi said, "but I promised Sora we'd go shopping together."

"Oh." He frowned and quickly smiled, "have fun then."

"You, mister, take care of yourself." She grabbed her purse, waved goodbye and then she was gone.

Izzy let out a sigh as he got up to get dressed. The phone rang as he pulled on his shirt.

"Hello?"

"Izzy, hi." It was Yolei's voice.

"Hey, Yolei." Izzy cleared his throat. "It's nice to hear from you. I hope you're not mad that I can't come over."

"I understand, Izzy," Yolei sighed, "you're a busy man. If you can't come to Kyoto, maybe I can come over there when you're available."

"Sounds great."

"You okay? You sound…"

"Yeah, I've got a bit of a cold," he sniffed. "Nothing serious."

"Well, you keep drinking plenty of liquids."

Izzy walked his refrigerator. Mimi had bought apple juice, grape juice, orange juice and other drinks for him.

"Don't worry," he said with a grin, "I'm covered."

TBC