Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Mixed Feelings ❯ Party On ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Mixed Feelings 7

Party On

Cody saw Yuriko leave the store and decided to go say hi to her. He had Upamon with him. She seemed to be very nervous, glancing around her every now and then. Not noticing Cody, she gasped when he touched her shoulder.

"Hi Yu--"

"Go away!" she exclaimed, zipping around.

Cody stepped back, "Hey, it's just me."

Upamon flew from his head.

Her face turned in a frown, "Oh, Cody. I'm sorry!" She shook her head. "You startled me."

"Are you okay?"

"Yes." She lied.

"You don't look okay."

"What's wrong?" Upamon asked.

She rubbed her hands, "I'm in trouble."

"What kinda trouble?" Cody questioned in concern.

Yuriko sighed and after a moment finally told him the truth.

"Cody, I'm being followed," she answered in a hushed whisper, looking around.

Cody exchanged glanced with his digimon. "Want us to check it out? Do you have any idea who it is?"

She shook her head. "No. Someone's always following me. I think he knows where I live."

"We'd better go to the police about this."

"No!" she exclaimed. "It's too risky."

"My dad was a policeman." Cody said, "it was his job to protect people. I might not be a lawyer yet, but I know that being stalked is a crime. Why didn't you tell me before?"

She frowned and shrugged. "I hoped the person would go away soon. Now I'm afraid to leave my house, especially at night."

"We'll find out who's following you," Cody said, "and I'm going to make sure you're safe. My friends TK and Kari are having a Christmas party on Christmas Eve. Would you like to come? You'll be safer with us."

She nodded, "if we don't find out who's following me, you'd think he'd go away and leave town?"

"Probably. Now let's go to the police station." Cody grabbed her hand. "I'm glad you told me about this."

"Thanks for helping me, Cody," Yuriko said.

Cody blushed slightly, "hey, I just don't like crime. My dad was killed because of it."

They went to the police station and Cody was with here while she told the police about her stalker, when she started being stalked and how. She said she never saw his face because he was wearing a ski mask but he seemed to be everywhere she went. Yuriko said that she often got strange phone calls, someone breathing heavily and saying, 'You can't hide from me,' before hanging up.

"Do you have any idea who could be stalking you?" the sheriff asked.

Yuriko shook her head. Cody wasn't sure if it was a digimon or a human, but whatever it was, he was going to bring it to justice.

After telling the police officers about her stalker, they advised her to take extra caution when she was alone and bring someone with her at night. Now that school was out for winter break, she wouldn't have to worry about being followed after her night classes. But if they don't catch him soon, he'll follow her again when school starts. Cody walked her home.

"I think you should learn kendo," he said.

"Kendo?"

"Yeah. If you see this creep again," Cody said, "you'll have to defend yourself somehow."

She giggled, "Oh, right, walk around with a stick. That would keep him away."

"How close has he ever gotten to you?" Cody questioned.

"Didn't you hear me tell the police? They asked me the same questioned."

"No. I was looking to see if they had any stalkers on file."

"Did you find any?"

Cody shook his head.

She sighed, "He keeps his distance, acting like he doesn't want me to know he's following me but I know he's there. Every time I look behind me, he dashes behind a tree or something. He doesn't say a word but I kind of have the feeling he knows me or he wouldn't be following me around."

"What do you think he wants?" Cody asked.

"I've wondered that many times," Nuriko replied, "but I guess it's clear what he's after. He's just waiting for the right moment to get me alone and…"

"I hope that's not what he's after," Cody said. "I'm pretty sure that's not it."

"Oh?"

"Well, if it was," Cody said, "he would've done it already."

"You're right, he would've." Nuriko sighed. "But it's creepy. He's out there somewhere. He doesn't say my name but I know he knows it. He's just watching me. He could be watching me right now."

Cody stopped and looked around. "You sure?"

"He's fast." Nuriko said. "He comes out of no where."

"Just remember what the cops said," Cody said. "Just be careful. If you see him again, just run. Run to me, the cops, anywhere. Don't try to confront him; you don't know who he is."

"Okay."

When she got home, she gave Cody a hug. "Thanks, Cody."

Cody blushed and patted her back. "Anytime, Nuriko…anytime."

She smiled and stepped back. "I just hope he leaves and I never see him again."

"Me too," Cody said. "Be careful and if you see him, call me and I'll be right over."

"I will," she kissed him on the cheek abruptly and they both blushed. "I-I'll, see ya." She went inside and shut the door. Cody walked home and he himself felt like he was being followed.

****

The day came for the two Christmas Parties. The older digidestined met at Matt's place for the party. Sora was very nervous. She kept checking the table to see if there were enough refreshments and that the decorations weren't about to fall down.

"Relax, Sora," Matt said, watching her walk to the punch bowl to add more ice for the seventh time. "You'll water the punch down."

"Oh…" Sora mumbled.

"I think there's enough party food," Matt said, "Besides, I'm sure everyone will bring something."

"You sure?"

Matt nodded. "It's just a party. So let's have some fun. We know our guests. It's not like you're in an important business meeting or anything."

Sora sat down. "I know. I just want everything to be, well, perfect. I want nothing to go wrong."

"It's a Christmas Party, Sora. What could go wrong?"

Before Sora could answer, the doorbell rang. Their first guests arrived. Sora got up to answer it. 'I hope it's not Tai and Jun…don't let it be Tai and Jun!' she thought as she opened the door. "Hello!"

It was Mimi and Izzy. Mimi had a fruitcake and Izzy carried presents. He was still a little under the weather but he came anyway.

"Oh, Izzy, you look horrible." Sora whispered.

Izzy groaned, "I'm okay."

"Better than the last few days anyway," Mimi said. "Poor guy's became a workaholic! How does he do it?"

"Let me take those, Izzy," Matt insisted. As he took the packages, Izzy sneezed on him.
"T-tha-achoo!" Izzy sneezed. "Oh, sorry."

"No problem," Matt grumbled as he walked away with the packages and took a handkerchief to wipe himself off as Izzy blew his nose into his own.

"Let me get you some cider, Izzy," Sora said as she put the fruitcake on the table.

"Thanks, Sora," Izzy mumbled, sitting down wearily. Mimi sat next to Izzy, quite cozily.

"Haven't you been getting enough liquids?" she asked.

"Yes, Motherrr," Izzy muttered.

"Maybe you should take another week off from work," she advised.

"I can't afford to miss any work," he said.

"You probably went into work when you never had to," Mimi said.

"He has." Sora said, giving Izzy his cider. "I always see a light on at his business and I know for sure it was Izzy's office when I go to class."

"Work won't kill me," Izzy said he popped two cold pills in his mouth and washed them down with the cider, which he choked on.

"You okay?" Mimi asked.

"Yes."

Mimi frowned, "I think I should've stayed home with you."

"I'm better now, really."

"Well, when Joe gets here he can take a look at you."

"Mimi…"

Sora and Matt exchanged glances and grinned. Izzy and Mimi were acting as if they were a married couple.

"Now Izzy, you've got to take care of your health," Mimi insisted, "If don't have your health, you have nothing."

Izzy took another swallow of his cider and groaned.

****

Kari and TK were also throwing a party that same day. Kari, however, was more relaxed and didn't fuss over the decorations and food. She had everything planned out and ready to go.

"Okay, we've got decorations, games, food, music, presents," Kari said, pointing at each of the items and chuckled. "I think we're ready to go!"

TK put his arms around her. "It'll be the best Christmas party."

She turned around and put a party hat on his head. "You bet. Nothing will go wrong."

"So how do we look?" Patamon asked, walking out with Gatomon wearing party hats. Gatomon was wearing garland as a shawl.

"Let the party begin!" Gatomon exclaimed.

TK and Kari laughed. Kari happened to glance up and notice they were under the mistletoe.

"Hey, look, TK." She said, nodding up.

"Oh…"
Kari giggled as TK leaned down to kiss her. His lips were just inches a way when the door opened, someone ran up and yelled.

"Not so fast, TL!"

TK groaned and pulled away from Kari. "It's TK, you moron!" TK grumbled. "And don't you know how to knock? Or ring the doorbell?"

"Hmph." Davis rolled his eyes and smiled at Kari, "Hi Kari, this is for you!" He handed Kari a present that was poorly wrapped.

"Oh, why, thank you, Davis." She took the present and put it down with the others. "You're free to any of the refreshments."

"Thanks, Kari. Don't mind if I do!" Davis said and Kari went to put on some music. Davis started to make a plate of finger food under a watchful eye from TK.

The doorbell rang. "I'll get it." TK said.

Davis bit in a carrot and glared at TK as he went to the doorbell. He saw the mistletoe and a thought came to mind. 'Hmm,' he thought, 'I forgot to kiss Kari under the mistletoe once, but I'm not going to forget this time!' while Kari was looking the box of Christmas records and tapes, trying to make a decision of what music to play first and TK was getting the door, Davis dashed to the mistletoe, grabbed it and stuffed in his coat pocket before anyone noticed. He laughed quietly to himself as he ate more finger food.

Noriko and Cody were the next guests. Cody took of Noriko's coat and handed it to TK to put away.

"Hi guys!" Davis said with a mouth full of celery, trying not to look suspicious.

"Can I have your coat, Davis?" TK questioned as he put Cody's and Noriko's coats in the closet.

"No you can't have my--" Davis began with a shout, "I mean, my coat? Oh, sure! Sure!" Davis took off his coat, "thanks man, I'm roasting!"

TK raised an eyebrow.

"I"ll just help my self," Davis put his coat on the hanger very carefully, making sure TK didn't see the mistletoe sticking out of the pocket. He couldn't contain himself. It would be only a matter of time until he'll be locking lips with Kari.

****

When Joe and Gwen came to the party, Mimi asked Joe to give Izzy a look. Joe never went anywhere without his hospital bag. He was always prepared.

"I feel fine!" Izzy coughed as Joe was looking in his ears. "It's just a cold."

"How long have you had this cold, Izzy?" Joe asked, taking out a thermometer.

"A couple weeks," Izzy replied. He saw the thermometer, "please tell me that's an oral thermometer. I've been babied enough."

"Oh, Izzy, stop it!" Mimi muttered as she stood over him with crossed arms. "I didn't come all the way here to see my friends sick. Geez, why does everything go crazy when I'm away? You're sick and afflicted, Matt's becoming an austronaught, Tai's parters with Jun Motimia. It doesn't make sense. Am I the only sane person in this group?"

"Well, it's nice to see you back, Mimi," Joe said as he put the themometer in Izzy's mouth. Izzy looked around the room with an angry look in his eyes. If only he had his laptop…

"You think Izzy's going to be well enough to play a snowball fight?" Matt asked with a big grin. "Tai will be here in minute."

Izzy groaned and blinked his red, bloodshot eyes. Joe took the thermometer out of his mouhth and looked at it. "Hmm, 99.9."

"That's good, right?" Izzy asked with a sneeze.

"Well, it's just a few degrees over normal temperature. Open your mouth again, Izzy." Joe took out a tongue compressor as Izzy opened his mouth. "Wider."

"I can't!" Izzy coughed.

Joe mashed down Izzy's tongue, forcing Izzy's mouth wider. He took out a long cotton swab-like thing.

"Just hold still, Izzy."

"Whar aw ya gunna gwooo wiff what?" Izzy asked with his mouth only slightly bigger than his eyes.

"It's called a throat culture," Joe said.

"A wha whutur?"

"It doesn't hurt," Gwen advised.

Joe placed the thing inside Izzy's mouth and touched his tonsils with it. Izzy almost gagged.

"Uh-huh," Joe said. "I think you might have strep throat, Izzy."

"Strep throat?" Mimi gasped, "isn't that serious?"

"It can be if it goes untreated," Joe said. "Don't worry, I'll write you a prescription for some antibiotics."

"Thanks, Joe!" Mimi exclaimed.

"No prob. Now you get some rest and maybe a job where you don't have to work too much."

Izzy moaned like a little kid, "but….oh…" he gave up and his head fell into Mimi's lap. Mimi put a few hairs away from his face.

"I'm sure he'll get over it eventually," Mimi said, patting Izzy's back.

"Are you two an item now?" Sora asked, raising an eyebrow.

"What?" Mimi questioned, appalled. She laughed, "no, oh no. I'm seeing Michael back in NY. You remember him, right?"

"Michael, that's right," Sora nodded. "Why didn't he come with you?"

"He's seeing his parents," she replied. "And didn't you know Izzy is seeing Yolei?"

Izzy's cheeks would be red with embarrassment, but he was already asleep in Mimi's lap. He wouldn't do that if he was healthy, but he was tired, sick and too drugged to know what he just did. The doorbell rang but Izzy slept through the noise. Mimi looked down at him.

"I know Izzy could sleep like that," she said. "And he had trouble sleeping too."

Matt opened the door and saw Tai with Jun.

"Hey Tai," Matt said.

Tai nodded, "hi."

He and Jun walked inside. Jun tried not to look at Matt as she began taking off her coat. Tai finished taking it off for her.

"Thanks," she said.

Matt put the coats away and Jun sat in a wooden chair. She saw Mimi with Izzy.

"Oh, hello. Mimi right?" she asked.

Mimi nodded, "Hi Jun."

"Cider, Jun?" Sora asked.

"Sure, thank you," Jun replied, also trying to be polite.

"Whoa," Tai said as he saw Izzy. "What's the matter with Izzy?"

"It started out as a little cold," Mimi explained, "but when Joe came he found that it was turning into strep."

"Lucky for him Joe always keeps his medical bag with him," Tai said.

"Hey, someone has to be prepared around here," Joe said.

"Maybe some beef jerky shakes will make the guy feel better," Tai joked as he took the seat next to Jun.

"I heard that," Izzy muttered, sitting up and rubbing his forehead. "That's not funny."

"Sorry."

Jun sipped her cider. Sora gave Tai a cup, avoiding his eyes.

Now that everyone was at the party, it was hard to find words. Izzy was still too tired to communicate; there were still issues between Sora, Tai, Matt and Jun. Gwen and Joe didn't really know what to say.

"How about some dinner?" Sora asked finally.

"Great, I'm starved!" Izzy exclaimed. "I'd like three peicies of white turkey, mashed potatos, yams and--"

"Izzy, your throat's nearly closed up," Mimi said.

"What?"

"Yeah," Joe said, "you won't be able to eat solid foods for quiet a while."

"How am I supposed to get better if I don't eat?" Izzy demanded, his voice very hoarse.

"We're not going to starve you, Izzy," Joe assured as he stood up at the buffet table, "there's something you should be able to eat here. Um….well, You can drin some cider and eat some…"

"I've got some Jello," Sora said.

"Yeah, Jell-O!" Joe exclaimed.

"Jell-O? That's my Christmas dinner, cider and jell-O?" Izzy demanded.

"You might be able to eat some mashed potatos and gravy," Mimi shrugged. "Here, I can put the turkey in a soup. I learned how at the resturant I work at in NY."

"Soup?" Izzy questioned, "that's all I've had the last five days! I'm tired of soup!"

"Well, mister," Mimi muttered, putting on an apron, "if you just take care of yourself, you wouldn't have to worry about getting sick!"

"OH, but, Mimi!" Izzy pleaded as he followed her in the kitchen.

Jun leaned over to Tai, "Is it just me, or do they act like they're married?"

"I was just about to say the same thing," Tai said.

***

Yolei and Ken were the last two come to TK and Kari's party. With all the couples, Davis felt like a 3rd wheel but since there were 3 couples it was more like 9th wheel.

"Hey, Yolei," Davis said, "I thought you were dating Izzy."

"I am," Yolei said, "but Izzy couldn't come. He's too busy and he's also feeling sick."

"Oh, poor Izzy," Kari said. "I remember he got sick after my mother's recepies. 'Course, they'd make anyone sick."

After a Christmas dinner, Davis got down to business. He went to the closet and quickly grabbed the mistletoe. He hid it in Kari's bedroom closet and hung it up. On the outside of the closet, he put a note.

There's a special gift in here for you.

He went back, whistling like he did nothing wrong and waited for Kari to come in the closet. He saw Ken talking to TK and Cody about Noriko's stalker. Studing to be a detective, Ken was into the conversation.

"Do you see him at the same place every time?" Ken questioned.

"What difference would that make?" Cody asked.

"If you see him at the same place very time," Ken began, "then he probably isn't dangerous and isn't following you too often"

"I've seen him at other places," Noriko said, "but I often see him in the same place every time."

"Where?"

"It was back when we were kids," Noriko excplained. "You two followed me into the park and that's when we saw Mr. Owikawa."

"Hmmm," Cody and Ken said, holding their chins.

"That's weird," TK said. "Could he be one of the other kids that had the dark spores?"

"I don't know," Noriko said, "if it was, he wouldn't try to hide from me. He wears a ski mask."

"I bet it's a digimon," Cody said.

"A digimon?"

"In a human disguise," Cody explained.

"I had a dream," Noriko said, "I keep having this reacuring dream. Wherever I turn, he's there."

"Does he hurt you?"

Noriko shook her head. "That's the weird thing. He doesn't do anything at first. He just stares at me for a while. Then he says, 'it's coming.'"

"What's coming?"

"He doesn't say. He just says, 'it's coming. It's coming and no one can stop it.' And then he leaves."

Davis looked around for Yolei or Kari but they weren't with TK. 'Finally,' Davis thought, 'Kari's not with him!' He gasped when he saw Kari go down the hall by her room. He hid around the corner, and waited. Davis walked into the room and saw that the closet just closed. A grin came on his face as he went to the door and walked inside.

"Hey," he said, trying to sound suave.

The person inside grabbed his shirt, pulled him further inside and kissed him fully on the mouth. Davis' eyes nearly popped out of his sockets.

'I didn't know she had it in her!' he thought.

Davis kissed back, his hands rubbing up and down the girl's body. He felt her leg wrap around him. When things started to get hot and heavy, the door opened. He looked out to see Kari with a camera.

"Hi, Davis!" she took a picture of him.

"Kari," Davis said, "What are you doing out there?" He walked out of the closet, "wait, if you're out here, then?" he back in the closet and saw Yolei. "Aaah! Yolei! Why? Oh! I thought you were Kari!"

"And I thought you were Ken!" she exclaimed. "Oh, that's disgusting! I can't believe I…"

"But you're dating Izzy!"

"Well, things are complicated between us now," Yolei said.

Davis went out the room, looking like he was sick. Yolei turned to Kari.

"You owe me," Yolei said with a serious look on her face. "If Izzy finds about this…"

"Don't worry," Kari said, waving her camera, "he's not going to know. I know when I saw that not eon my door it was from Davis and not TK. TK has better handwriting."

"We do tricks at Halloween," Yolei said, "not Christmas."

"I know," Kari giggled, "but anytime's a good time to teach Davis a lesson!"

TBC