Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Mixed Feelings ❯ Interuptions ( Chapter 8 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Mixed Feelings 8

Interruptions

Ken and the others heard Davis muttering as he left the room. Then Yolei and Kari walked out, trying not to laugh.

"What happened?" Ken asked.

"They tricked me!" Davis retorted. "I thought Kari was in the closet and it was Yolei…"

"Sorry, Davis, we were just trying to teach you a lesson." Yolei said.

"Well, I've learned it," Davis muttered. "Y'know, I think I'll go now."

"Oh, Davis, you don't have to go," Kari said.

Davis shrugged, "I'd better go and call my parents. It's a time for family you know." He checked his watch, "Oh my gosh…I'd better go check on DemiVeemon! I got a package of Christmas cookies from my aunt and he's probably ate the whole box!" Davis grabbed his coat, "Merry Christmas, everybody!" He shouted as he ran out of the door.

TK's phone rang and he went to go answer it. "Hello? Hi Grandma…Merry Christmas…what? Grampa had an accident? But it's Christmas! Okay, I'll let Matt know. Don't worry Grandma, we'll take the next flight to Paris."

He hung up. "My Grandfather's been in accident. I have to go to Paris."

Kari gasped, "TK, I'm so sorry!"

"Is it serious?" Ken asked. "Maybe we should go with you."

"I don't think so." TK said. "My grandfather's been riding motorcycles all his life. He's a tough guy."

"I guess the party's over," Cody said.

"Yeah, thanks for coming everyone. Merry Christmas."

After some hugs and handshakes and a kiss from Kari, everyone left and TK went to pack for the trip. He didn't know how long he'd have to stay in France.

***

Grumbling, Izzy stirred his soup and watched it fall from his spoon as everyone else had a hearty turkey meal. How could he have gotten strep throat? Maybe someone from his workplace had it and he got it. When he tried reaching for a piece of turkey, Mimi slapped his hand. He ate his turkey soup slowly and was still playing with it when everyone else was done with his or her meals.

"Too bad Tentomon isn't here," he mumbled to himself, "then I could give this to him."

While Jun was sipping on some apple cider and looking at decorations and pictures, Matt approached her. "Hi, Jun. Thanks for coming. You enjoying yourself?"

Jun smiled, "Yeah." She let out a sigh. Why was Matt trying to be nice to her now when he broke her heart back when they were teens? Did she expect to forgive him?

"Listen, I thought about what you said and I'm sorry," Matt said. "I didn't mean to hurt you or give you the wrong idea. I thought you wree just another fan."

"Oh, just another fan, right?" she muttered. "If you didn't really like me, the way you like Sora, why didn't you just say so?"

"Huh?"

"Maybe you were just too nice…your crest of friendship would be in vain, is that right?" she demanded. "I don't need to be a Digidestined myself to know."

"I wanted to be friends."

"Sure you did."

"Really."

She laughed, "Had a funny way of showing it that day when you went with your friends. You know what I had to do get there? Just so I could see you? I know now that it was just a big waste of my time. You didn't want me there at all. Gee, you're a great friend, Matt. I think I know why you didn't be straight with me in the first place. If things didn't work out with you and Sora, there'd always be Jun, right? Ha-ha." She mimicked him, "I think I'll go to Jun, she's always liked me."

"It wasn't like that," Matt said.

"Hell it wasn't," she hissed.

"I'm really sorry," he began, reaching for her shoulder and she slapped his hand away.

"Don't touch me," Jun snarled.

"Can't we…just move on?"

"You hurt me bad," Jun said. "A thousand apologies won't change that. Evne if you were to do it in a song, it won't change a damn thing. Maybe in a few years it won't hurt as much and I know it'll be just a teenage crush kinda thing and who knows, I might just forgive you. But for now, I wish--"

"Is there a problem here?" Tai asked.

Jun let out a sigh. Tai was a lifesaver in the same way she was for him.

"No," Matt said.

"Then why is Jun's hand shaking?" Tai demanded.

Jun looked at her hand holding her cup of cider. It was shaking and the apple cider was splashing out of the cup onto her hand, scalding it since it was still pretty hot. She was so upset she was shaking and she didn't even know.

Tai went over to Jun. "You okay?"

She nodded.

"Listen, Matt, I think you've hurt her enough."

"I was just apologizing," Matt said in his defense. "I never mean to hurt people, you know that Tai."

"Oh, right," Tai sneered.

"Would you two stop?" Sora demanded. "Please, it's Christmas!"

"For once, I agree with Sora," Jun said. "I'd like to forget all the bad stuff for one night."

But Tai and Matt were not finished. Tai grabbed Matt by the collar.

"You think you're better than everyone else!" Tai shouted.

"That's not true and you know it!" Matt exclaimed.

"Stop it!" Jun put her drink down and pulled on Tai's shoulder. "Tai, please!"

Mimi heard the commotion and went to break Tai and Matt up. She move in between them, slapped them both hard in the face to bring them in their senses and pushed them back. Gwen and Joe stood up in surprise.

"That's enough! Now quit it!" she snarled. "It's Christmas and your stupid bickering has gotten old! It was old when we were kids in the Digiworld. We are a team, have you forgotten that? You have, haven't you? Well I haven't! Even all the way in New York, I haven't! We are still a team. We've pulled through many things. Remember all the evil digimon we've fought together? We still got through as a team and now you're willing to throw that away over something like this? It's nuts! The only thing that can take us a part is each other…and the only thing that can keep us together, is each other. How you want it, is up to you. Why is it that everything goes down when I'm away?"

"What are you talking about, Mimi?" Sora asked.

"What am I talking about?" Mimi retorted. "What do you mean, what am I talking about?! An evil digimon was on the net while I was in Hawaii and our 'Courageous Leader' over here didn't' think to call my Dad's cell phone! I would've helped! When I was in NY there was that problem with the digimon emperor and Maloymotismon and all that…now, I've come back for the holidays and everything's so different! Matt is becoming an astronaut, Tai's politician and Izzy's sick as a dog! Am I the only sane one left in the group here?"

"I'm still sane as I always was," Joe muttered.

"Good, I'm glad I'm not the only one," Mimi put her hands on her hips. She saw Izzy again attempting to get some pumpkin pie. "Izzy, no!"

"Rats," Izzy slumped back in his seat. "I hate being sick!" He resumed to his soup, which was now cold. He gummed on some jell-O, wishing to get well very soon.

The phone rang. Sora answered it.

"Hi TK, yes, he's here." She held it to Matt. "It's TK."

Matt went to get it, "Hey, li'l bro, how's your party going?" he asked and added mentally, 'hope it's better than mine.'

"Matt, have you heard from Grandma?"

"Did she fall asleep on you again?" he joked.

"Not that Grandma from the country!" TK shouted then let out a groan, "I meant our Grandma that lives in France."

"No."

"Grampa's been in a motorcycle accident," TK informed, "We've got to leave for Paris."

"Oh no," Matt groaned.

"I'll meet you at the airport. I've booked us a flight for eleven o'clock."

"So soon?"

"Yeah, but Christmas is a time of family. And you know Gramdpa's been wanting us to visit him lately."

"Okay, I'll get ready. Bye."

"What did TK say?" Sora asked.

"My grandfather's been in an accident," he replied, still looking at the phone. "I have to leave for Paris right away."

****

Cody took Noriko to the spot she talked about at the party. She shivered. "Cody, what are we doing here?"

"You said you see this guy all the time here, right?" he asked.

"Yes."

"Maybe we'll see him and find out what he wants."

"He won't come if you're here."

"I know," Cody sighed. "But I was prepared for this." He reached in the back of the car and pulled out a small box. "My dad showed me how a wire works."

"Cody…" she began. "You sure? Maybe we should…"

"This is our only chance to find this guy." He insisted. He put the earpiece on her ear and hid the wire in her coat. "I won't be far. I'll just be down the block in the car. Just let me know when you see anything, okay?"

She nodded, "I'm scared."

"I won't let anything happen to you," he said. "Trust me."

She swallowed and got out the car. He drove away as she walked up the sidewalk and looked around. The street was quiet. No one was there. 'Come on, where are you?' she thought. 'I know you're here.'

"See anything yet?" buzzed Cody's voice.

"Nothing." She answered, pressing the button on the earpiece. But right after that, there was something. A fog began to thicken. It wasn't regular fog. It was purple. Noriko shivered and felt a pain in the back of her neck. She didn't know if it was just the memory of the dark spore or if a piece of it was still in her neck.

"Hello?" she said, turning around. "Someone there? It's you, isn't it?"

She wondered if she was just losing it. He wasn't there. Not even carolers. The street was empty.

Then he stepped through the fog. There he was, dressed in black and a ski mask over his face. He wasn't hiding behind things like he used to. It was almost like he was waiting for her.

"Why do you keep following me?" she asked.

"To give you a warning," he replied.

"Just who are you?" she demanded. "Are you a digimon…in disguise? Are you using someone's body like Malomyotismon did to poor Mr. Owikawa?"

"No."

"Oh, so you're just a sick pervert then, huh?" She remembered Cody was waiting for her. She pressed the button, "Cody, he's here." She whispered.

"I'm coming," Cody said.

"Wrong again." Her stalker said. He pulled off his mask. She gasped. She knew who it was.

"Hey, I know you. You were one of the kids Mr. Owikawa kidnapped."

He nodded, "it's spreading, Noriko."

"What is?"

"The spore."

She reached her hand to her neck, "but they were taken away. Right after Mr. Owikawa died."

"But the influence is still there," he said. "Ken still has it but he was able to fight it."

"I don't understand."

"It's coming, Noriko," the young man said, almost mad, "It's coming and no one can stop it!"

"You're not making any sense," Noriko told him. It was just like he said in her dream. "What's coming?"

"What's happening, Noriko?" Cody asked.

"It's just like what happened in my dream," she said. "Cody…get over here!"

"You're wired, aren't you?" her stalker asked.

"No."

"You thought I was a serieral killer or something," he said.

"What did you expect me to think?" she demanded. "You were following me all the time. If there was danger, why didn't you just call me and tell me so instead of playing games with my head?" She backed up.

"Are you scared of me, Noriko?"

Noriko's instincts told her to get the hell out of there. She turned and started to run away. "CODY!" she screamed.

He followed after her. She could hear him. If the guy really were one of her friends, he wouldn't try to freak her out like this. She would've found out there was a problem from the other dark spore kids long ago.

"You can't run from it. You can't hide. You can't stop either! It's coming Noriko! No one can hide from it!"

Before he could grab her, Cody tackled him to the ground. Noriko gasped and turned around.

"Cody," she cried. "He's crazy! You've got to stop him."

"Get in the car, Noriko," he told her, pinning the young man down with his kendo stick to his neck.

"Cody, what are you doing?"

"Just get in the car!" he insisted, exasperated. He didn't have time to explain. Noriko got in the car.

"You didn't have to bring your boyfriend, Noriko," her stalker said, wheezing. "I'm not going to hurt you."

"Why have you been following Noriko?" Cody demanded, pressing his kendo stick to his neck. "What is it that you're after?"

"If you let up a bit so I can breath," he gasped, "I'll tell you."

Cody sighed and pulled his kendo stick up of his neck but pushed it on his chest to keep him pinned to the ground.

"You're a digidestined, aren't you?" he asked.

"Yes."

"Where's your digimon?" he asked. "You'll need him."

"Huh?"

"You'll have to fight again. Have you been to the Digiworld lately?"

"You're not making any sense!" Cody shouted. He grew tired of him.

"I'm not going to hurt anyone."

"Then why have you been following Noriko? You're insane!"

"We all get a little insane sometimes," he said with mad smile on his mouth. "It's not me you should be fighting. "It's them."

"Who?"

"It's coming."

"What's coming?"

"The end of the Digiworld. The end of both worlds."

"No way. We took care of that years ago!"

"I know. I was there," he said. "I was one of the kids with the dark spores. It's got me…and soon it'll get Noriko, Ken and the others."

"I don't get it."

"Something's happening to the Digiworld. It's gonna happen all over again. There's a new menace and it's after the kids of the dark spores then after that it'll be the digidestined."

"Why?"

"They need hosts. We destroyed Malomyostismon but his data, all that evil data remains in the Digiworld."

"We'll fight him again if we have to."

"It's not him, dude. He's gone. You won't be fighting Myotismon, you'll be fighting a bunch like him. Mr. Owika's date preserved the Digiworld but Malomyotismon's data is festering the Digiworld and turning some good digimon into bad digimon. And others…others can't get a body so they have to enter human bodies. I've got one now…and I can't control it!"

"And that's why you've been following Noriko…"

"Yes. I was making sure she wasn't becoming like me. I've been following the others. You've got to keep them from getting to the Digiworld. I missed it so I went there. A digimon took hold of me and I…" He pushed Cody away. "Get out of here! You're in danger! I can't control it anymore!"

"I'm not leaving you!" Cody shouted. "We can still save you."

"No, it's too late for me!" he was glowing on all fours. "This my fault. I brought this on my fault because I wanted to be cool and smart like Ken Ichijoji. Man…I should've listened to him! Why didn't I listen to him when he said we didn't want to become like him?"

"What do we have to do to stop it?" Cody asked. "How do we--"

"Like I told Noriko, you can't stop it," the kid said as another voice took his over. "You can't stop it!"

As Cody stepped back, he wished he had Armodillomon with him. The kid took on a hideous digimon form and Cody had only his wits and kendo stick to protect himself.

The digimon attacked Cody with a spiny arm, sending him into a lamppost. The digimon turned and started walk away.

"Cody!" Noriko got out of the car and ran to Cody. "Cody!"

She bent down to him and gasped. "Cody--oh, nnnnnoooooo!"

TBC