Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ New Addiction ❯ Deadly Games ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

New Addiction 5

Deadly Games

Disclaimer: I do not own tamers

The games Ai played with Perry were nothing like a game of monopoly or cards. It was like the kind of games Chip told her about. Levitating people in the air, playing with his ouiji board, and the kind of games that only no ordinary person would play. She continued to play with Perry until seven and she lost track of time.

"Oh no!" she exclaimed.

"What?" he asked.

"It's seven o'clock!" she said. "I totally lost track of time. Sorry Perry, I need to get going."

"No problem."

"I had a lot of fun. Thank you."

"Anytime."

She smiled, placed her palms on the sides of his face and kissed him on the lips. He kissed her back feverishly until they were both out of breath.

"I'll see ya," he said.

"Yeah." She pecked his lips and went downstairs to show herself out. She was dizzy, but not just from the drugs. She was convinced she was falling for Perry. Turning the corner, she collided with someone.

"Hey, watch it!" Ai shouted.

"You should be more careful," muttered the other person. She had red hair, sunglasses and headphones. She recognized her. "Ai?" she took off her sunglasses. But Ai was too stoned to recognize that it was Rika.

"What?"

"Ai, where have you been?" Rika asked. "Your mom called everyone asking where you were."

"I was just with a friend," she muttered, pushing past Rika. "Mind your own business."

"Well excuse me for caring!" Rika shouted, putting back on her sunglasses. "Geez…" Convinced there wasn't anything wrong, Rika continued walking. Her grandmother asked her to get some things from the store.

****

When Ai got back, she had an earful. "Where've you been, young lady?" her mother demanded.

"I was with a friend," she replied. "That's all. I lost track of time."

"Who?" Mako asked.

"Suzie," she lied.

Mako raised an eyebrow, "We had a picnic together in the park, and you knew that."

"I saw her on the way here," she lied again. "And we were just talking."

"And where did you go last night?" Her father asked.

"Didn't Mako tell you?" Ai asked. "I went to a party!"

"What kind of party?"

"Just a party, you know," Ai said, flustered. "A study party, games, food, fun…"

"Drugs?" Her mother questioned.

"What?"

"Were there drugs?"

"I dunno!" Ai shouted. "Quit asking me so many questions. I just went to a party last night with a few people from school and today I was at a classmate's house. All we did was study! Get off my back."

Ai stormed to her room and slammed the door. Already they were suspected she was taking drugs. Ai had to be more careful. A little sneakier.

***

Days past and Ai was addicted to pot and cocaine. She went to Perry often and he asked her to help pay for the drugs. Ai had no job, no money and she wouldn't get any drugs if she didn't help pay. Maybe Perry would break up with her if she didn't help pay. She had no choice but to snitch money from her parents. Ai hoped no one knew the truth about her, but one person did and soon that person was going to let her secret out.

Chip Honda. He saw Perry and Ai together in the street and he immediately knew what was going on between them. He couldn't let the stupid things he done in the past stop him from doing what was right this time. He knew that Ai wouldn't listen to reason, but he knew that someone else might. As Suzie walked to her locker, she felt someone grab her arm.

"Wha?"

The person turned her around. "Suzie, I've got to talk to you."

"Chip, what do you want?" she demanded.

"I know you hate me for what happened to you last year," he told her, "but I'm sorry for that. Listen, your best friend is in trouble."

"What kind of trouble?"

"She's doing drugs, Suzie."

Suzie laughed, "Ai? Drugs? You're joking. She's too smart for that."

"Of course she is," Chip said, "but she's confused. She's getting them from Perry Tusuko."

"You're lying," Suzie hissed. "I won't hear anymore of this. You're just blowing smoke about my best friend."

"Fine, you think I'm wrong, let's search her locker."

"We share a locker," Suzie said, "And I've never seen anything!"

"That's because she hides it from you," he said, "would she leave it so you could find it?"

"Okay then, I'll open my locker," Suzie said, "and I'll prove to you that you're wrong!"

Suzie led him to her locker, turned the knob and opened the locker door. The top part of the locker was for Suzie's things and on the bottom was Ai's things. She searched the bottom compartment but didn't' find a single pot joint.

"See, I told you!" Suzie muttered.

Chip took the magnetic mirror of the locker door. Taped to it was a bag of marijuana. "You didn't look hard enough."

Suzie gasped, "No…no. You put that there!"

"Would I try to make your friend look bad, Suzie?" Chip asked. "I really am a nice guy."

"Millie never told me that."

"I am now," he said, "I know I was a jerk then but I've learned my lesson."

"That's probably not even drugs," Suzie said, "It's gotta be something else."

"Its pot, Suzie," Chip muttered. "It's not Kool-aid or sugar or anything harmless…it's marijuana."

"And how do you know?" she asked. "You've done drugs before?"

"I found marijuana in Perry's gym locker," Chip told her. "And I kicked him off the soccer team for it. I knew you wouldn't believe me." He shoved the bag of pot in her hand, for her to deal with herself and he left her alone.

Suzie still could not believe it. Her best friend was hiding pot in their locker. She could get in trouble for this too if someone thought this was hers. 'Ai, what have you done?' she thought, slamming the locker door and shoving the pot in her pocket. She saw Ai coming and ran off to hide.

Unable to wait another minute to put drugs into her system, Ai hurried to the locker and turned he dial. Her mind was already fried enough and she could barely remember the combination. She had to try 5 times until she was able to open the door. She opened the door and took off the magnetic mirror, finding that the pot was gone. She panicked and searched the bottom compartment, thinking it must've fallen. Searching, she felt a tap on her shoulder. Ai turned, startled, to se her best friend with a frown on her face.

"Looking for this?" Suzie asked, holing the marijuana.

"Suzie--" she gasped. "Listen, I can explain…"

"Come on," Suzie said and jerked her friend up by the arm. She slammed the door and dragged her to the bathroom so they could talk. "Why, Ai? What's wrong with you?"

"How'd you find out?"

"Nevermind how I found out!" Suzie shouted. "You're too smart to take drugs. You got this from Perry Tusuko, haven't you? How long, Ai?"

"About a week," she replied.

"You could already be addicted, Ai! We're going to the principal about this."

"No, don't!" Ai grabbed her. "Please don't, Suzie."

"Ai, you're taking drugs! It's illegal!"

"You think you're so righteous?" Ai barked. "You had an addiction too."

"You're right. I did. I had trouble with food. I became bulimic but I'm not the one who's a pot head!"

"You…" Ai lunged toward her and they began to fight. But Suzie was a green belt. She grabbed her arms, twisted her around so she couldn't move. Suzie pulled her to the mirror.

"Look at yourself, Ai!"

Ai looked in the mirror. "So?"

"My best friend, taking drugs," she said. "I never would've thought of it. Ai, what's the matter with you? I thought we were best friends!"

"Funny, I thought we were too," Ai said.

"What?"

Ai tried to get out of her grasp but failed. "You're the reason why I did it."

"Me?"

"Yeah, you!" she snarled. "You think you're better than everyone else. Just a year ago you were bulimic and now look at you…you're dating my brother, you've got good grades, a green belt…you got it all and I've got nothing! You even have a neew best friend!"

"That's not true, Ai!"

"Isn't it? You and Millie---you're great pals now, aren't you? What about me? I thought I was your best friend."

"You are."

"Save it! You took everything away from me…How could you?"

"Ai, listen to me. I took nothing away from you."

"Liar…you took away the best friend I grew up with. You took my brother away and even my digimon partner. I lost Masahiko…"

"I didn't tell him to break up with you."

"It doesn't matter!" Ai shouted. "My life was falling apart and Perry was the one person I could turn to."

"Perry and the drugs?"

"So what if he takes drugs? At least he shares them with me. And he's really sweet."

"You have any idea how much drugs cost? Where'd he get the money for that?"

"I helped him," she answered.

"How?"

"I…got money."

"You stole it from your parents, didn't you?"

"Okay, so what if I did? Perry needed the money."

"Ai, this has to stop!" Suzie cried. "Let's go to the principal."

"No!" Ai screamed. "Don't tell anyone. My parents will ground me for life. I'll just quit, okay? I'll stop. I'll do it now. See?" she held out her hand. "Give me bag and I flush it."

She hesitated and gave it to her, following her to a toilet.

"See? It's all gone," she said, "pot going down the potty! It's out of sight out of mind." She flushed and threw the bag away. "No need to worry. I'm going to quit. I promise. Just don't tell anyone."

"Ai, it's hard for someone to quit once they've been addicted," Suzie said. "I'm still recuperating from bulimia. Sometimes I get the urge to binge. You can't do it by yourself."

"Yes I can. You said so yourself. I'm smart!"

Suzie couldn't believe how her best friend was talking. She sounded like a crazy person.

"Don't' tell anyone about this. Not Kazu, not Mako, not anyone! Got it? I'm serious, Suzie, you tell anyone about this, then we are no longer friends."

"Ai…"

"There's no point, because today, I quit."

Suzie so wanted to believe her.

"Promise me you won't tell anyone, Suzie. Please, promise me!"

Suzie opened her mouth. "I promise."

"Thank you, Suzie." Ai hugged her. "You're the best."

***

After that strange day at school, Suzie went Rollerblading to the park to clear her mind. Would Ai really stop? Or was she just saying that to save her tail? Suzie wished she spent more time with Ai. Then she never would've gotten so low. Suzie didn't see the crack in the sidewalk and her wheel got stuck. She fell down on the cement and tried to push herself up.

"Fancy seeing you again, Suzie," said a familiar voice as someone helped her up.

"Huh?" Suzie asked when she was brought to her feet. She smiled, seeing Abby's smiling face. "Abby!"

"Don't you remember how to blade?" Abby teased.

Suzie frowned. Abby's joking and kindness brought tears to her eyes.

"Oh, hey, I'm sorry!" Abby said. "It was just a joke! Did you hurt yourself on the way down?"

"No…no, it's not that, Abby." Suzie muttered.

"What's the matter?"

Suzie's lip quivered. Abby took her to a bench to sit down and talk it out.

"You okay? What's wrong?"

"I've got a problem," Suzie said though her tears.

"I'm a good listener," Abby said.

"But I don't know if I should tell you," Suzie said. "It's supposed to be a secret."

"Oh, I see." Abby nodded.

Suzie swallowed and finally came through. "It's about my best friend. She's in trouble."

"Trouble?"

"She's…doing drugs."

Abby gasped. "And I'm the only one you told? Shouldn't you have gone to her parents?"

"Yes, but she told me not to tell anyone," Suzie clasped her hands together between her knees. "If I broke my promise she'll never talk to me again. She said we'd no longer be friends."

"That's harsh, but you don't believe that's true, do you?"

"I don't know what to believe. I would've got straight to the principal but she said she'd quit. I saw her throw the pot away so maybe she'll come clean if I don't tell anyone."

"You think she will?"

"I dunno."

"You know, once she's addicted," Abby began, "it'll be tough for her to stop."

"I know…I know…" Suzie sniffed, "if only I knew what to do. It's my fault anyway."

"Your fault?"

"Yeah, she never would've started this if I only spent more time with her. I went through bulimia rehab with a new friend of mine. She used to be mean to me and now…Ai thinks she's my new best friend."

"Ah."

"And her boyfriend recently broke up with her. She was going through a hard time."

"Still no reason to turn to drugs."

"I know, but maybe she will stop."

"You sure you want to take that chance? Maybe she will stop but you don't know for sure," Abby explained. "She'll be mad at you for telling someone, but it sure beats the alternative, don't' you think?"

"Yeah."

"I'm not going to tell you what to do," Abby said, standing up, "But I will tell you what I'd do if I was in your shoes. I'd tell someone right away and make sure she gets some help."

Suzie nodded.

"I've got to go," Abby said. "And remember what I said. Take care, Suzie."

"Bye Abby," Suzie said, watching her leave. She sighed. Abby was right. But Suzie didn't know if she would still be able to tell someone. She wasn't like Abby. Abby would've taken care of it immediately, but Suzie was afraid. Suzie decided to wait. Maybe Ai would keep her promise and quit so she wouldn't have to do the impossible.

TBC