Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Oasis ❯ Oasis: Appearances ( Chapter 5 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

**Warnings/Disclaimer** AU Daiken/Kensuke, magic, love, etc. Yaoi, btw, so don't get all confused or anything. Ano…I know I said that Tai was going to be in this one, but…*sheepish grin* well, he plays an important part.

**Digimon, their characters don't belong to me. I do, however, own the concepts of 'Mancer, Glyphmage, and all the extra stuff like what Daisuke is. (tis my own creation, you know.) The characters Riku and Sorah are from the game Kingdom Hearts--*grin* I changed Sora's name to Sorah so you wouldn't get confused with which Sora I was referring to.

*Winner of herongale's Kensuke contest! Woo!

Onwards!

<c>Oasis

~Appearances~</c>

"What happened, Daisuke?"

"…it's a long story…"

Takeru shrugged as if to say, 'So what?', and settled himself onto the grass. Daisuke, knees to chin and arms wrapped tight, merely stared out over the water. The blond was silent, waiting patiently as he glanced over the turbulent water. The air was sweet here, in the lower Southern mountains. Summer scents filled with the faint smell of grass and sunshine. Familiar scents that were welcome and comforting things to Takeru.

He leaned back on his elbows, stretching out. Their band of ragtag refugees and mercenary-like guards had found this secluded plateau, with the stream and enough fertile and flat areas to farm. For several years now they had lived here, building homes, finding mates and making children-they'd almost be large enough for a town, soon. Takeru smiled, his longish blond hair falling into his eyes, and regarded Daisuke out of the corner of his eye.

Daisuke, who grinned and laughed and danced easily, a smile for everyone, cheerful and always wiling to help…had become a boy in deep soul-bruised pain in the space of less than a month.

"I meant, what happened to <i>you</i>? All you said was that you had gotten yourself kidnapped by three hired assassins-"

The sable-gold eyes flickered. "I did. That bastard Murasame wanted me dead-all I did was visit my mother's grave. When I went to leave the city, they jumped me. The next thing I knew, I was being drugged and carted half-way across the world. Almost got away from them a few times, gave them hell. But they used more drugs…" A flicker of distaste showed on his closed-off features, as if he was angry that he had been taken so easily.

"You could have called for help sooner, you know."

"I didn't think about that until it was too late," Daisuke admitted. "I didn't think that they'd drop me in the middle of the desert, you know, and leave me there." ~I didn't think I <i>could</i> be taken by surprise…~

Takeru chose his words carefully. "Is that where you found the boy?"

"…yes…" Daisuke's voice was a pained whisper.

"And?"

"And <i>what</i>? I found him, I brought him here-and he hates me for it-"

"Daisuke. Answer me truthfully-I <i>saw</i> the blood. I saw Ken's hand. He saved your life, somehow. Veem'th told me that you had been attacked. I don't question how he knew-he's strange enough already, but-"

"Leave it alone, Takeru, okay? Just leave it-it's hard enough as it is…"

Takeru growled in frustration, and grabbed the redhead by the shoulder with a fierce hand. "Don't try to shut me out-we're <i>friends</i>, Dai. Tell me what happened! It's been nearly two days and you haven't smiled, you've barely eaten, you don't even make <i>jokes</i> about yourself…what the hell happened to you!?"

Pain flickered across those dark eyes, as Daisuke carefully extricated himself from the grip. "I said let it be, Takeru. Please…you'll know about it when the time is right."

"No. I won't accept this-"

"You have no choice!" Daisuke snapped, and turned away. "Something <i>happened</i>, okay? Something that I'm not willing to talk about-it involves his family, mine…our lives…God, Takeru, I've really fucked up," he mumbled finally, and groaned as his head fell into his palms. "I'm doing it all wrong…"

<c>~\*/~</c>

The room he was in was small and cramped, the walls filled with various shelves in lines on the walls and chests resting neatly along the floor. Some were simple wood, aged and stained with wear, while others were shining metal, or stiffened leather dark with oils and age. Boxes and containers of all sizes cluttered the shelves. He had walked around the room and notices these things several times after forcing the thin blanket over the window and holding it in place with pried-up nails. Thank god it was the only window. Absently, he ran fingers through his hair, tugged with flicking fingers at the clothing they had provided. It chafed at his skin, uncomfortable and strange to him, as he passed unseeing eyes over the tiny boxes on the shelves, filled with herbs and other dried substances. Small and pungent bundles of other herbs, fresh and more potent forms, hung from the rafters. He rather liked it, really, although he wouldn't admit it to the girl that had control over the room.

Disquieted, Ken whirled in place and strode to the small and narrow bed, plunking down upon it with all of his built-up frustration.

It wasn't fair.

It wasn't fair that he was almost trapped in this room, by his own will, no less, and the painful realization that he had perhaps made a mistake. He didn't like that thought-making mistakes was something that had been carefully distilled out of him. He <i>didn't</i> make mistakes.

~But Daisuke's <i>wrong</i>!~ his mind insisted. ~He <i>has</i> to be…~

He told himself that he was here because his brother had been right after all. That there were people out there trying to kill him, trying to finish the job started those years ago. He told himself that Daisuke had been a clever and distracting ploy until his brother had arrived. A clever boy with a clever way and a clever <i>clever </i>talk about-

Twitching, Ken turned his face away, ducking so that the fringe of violet hair fell across his eyes. ~He <i>lied </i>to me.~

He didn't know which was more painful to him, the thought that the caring and exuberant Daisuke had lied to him, or that he had betrayed his brother by breaking the rules. That Daisuke had <i>used</i> him. Used him and attacked Osamu and kidnapped him…

Brought him here, to the mountains where there was literally no one around for miles.

~I thought you wanted to get away?~ a quiet voice pointed out. ~I thought you wanted to see the world?~

~…I-~

Before he could finish the thought, a knock sounded at the door. The unnerving feeling in the pit of his stomach that had to do with <i>everything</i> that had changed in his life, everything from his new location, to Daisuke, to his brother, swelled inside him, choking. Ken forced it back with a swallow and a twist of his mind, pushing it away as he walked quietly to the door.

After unlocking it, and dragging away the largest chest from in front of it, he peeked around the edge, relief showing plainly when all he saw was a familiar pale face and lighter cerulean hair. "It's you," he said, finally.

Veem'th grinned at him, dressed in simple pants and a vest, and shrugged. "Hikari said that you weren't accepting anyone but her, so I thought I'd come and visit anyway."

Ken shrugged uneasily. "Yes," he said softly. "What did you want?"

"I can't even come in?!"

Murmuring an apology, he stepped back and allowed the dragon to pass, catching a whiff of the spicy sharp scent that followed, and smiled faintly. He shut the door firmly, and pulled the chest back in front of the door, turning afterwards to see Veem'th casually draped over his bed.

"So?" he said.

"So? Man, you humans. I come to be nice and be social, and you get all hostile. <i>So</i>," he emphasized, glaring at him in mock anger from his sprawled position. "I came to ask what you think you're doing."

Taken aback, Ken sat himself down upon the chest and frowned, glanced at his hands nervously twining in his lap. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"I mean," Veem'th rolled onto his stomach, legs bent until he was kicking the walls, and stuck out his tongue. "You're not in that oasis anymore. You don't have to hide, or avoid people. Like I said, your brother isn't here, so I don't think his rules would apply, right? So why are you doing this to yourself? Why are you doing this to Daisuke?"

Ken stiffened, his lips tight, anger darkening his eyes to a near-black. "I'm <i>not</i>-"

"Oh, I know you're not doing it <i>intentionally</i>, Ken." Veem'th waved a hand. "But it's really not the best thing you could be doing. You <i>could </i>be outside, walking the paths on the mountains. You could be fishing, you could be helping with the harvest. You could be watching the children, you could be mending things, helping people, being alive-"

"And Daisuke?" Ken bit off, his fists clenching. "What about him? He stole me away like some common thief-"

"Daisuke is nothing more than that," Veem'th pointed out with a grin. "We're <i>all</i> thieves and rogues and assassins, you know. Normal people escaping a war. But you <i>don't</i> know, because you're holed up in this room like a scared little mouse, waiting for the snakes to eat him. You don't go outside, you don't talk to anyone, you avoid it all-because of what? Some mistake? So what if he's a mancer-you, might I remind you, are equally dangerous and just as forbidden."

"You came here to tell me this?" Ken muttered, a dull flush rising on his pale cheeks. ~War? What war?~ He shook his head angrily. "I want you to leave!" he demanded and rose from the chest.

"Really?" Veem'th sounded a bit put out, his face falling, but he rolled off the bed, dusting himself as he stood, and watched Ken push the chest back out of the way. It made a squealing scraping sound as he did, and Ken yanked open the door. Veem'th grinned, a wide grin that showed sharp white teeth and walked up to the doorway. Ken stood stiffly, staring at him, daring him to do something.

In reply Veem'th said, in a soft matter of fact tone, "Daisuke thought you were going to die in that place. He wouldn't have broke his vows, if he hadn't."

Ken looked away. "…It doesn't matter."

Veem'th raised a brow. "Are you sure? Daisuke never lies, you know. He told you the truth about a lot of things."

Ken bared his teeth in an attempt to look angered, in an attempt to salvage his floundering resolve. "And how do I know <i>you </i>don't lie?" he hissed. "How do I know that attacking my brother was the best thing possible-he's my <i>brother</i>-How do I know that Daisuke is what he <i>says</i> he is?!"

"<i>Now </i>do you understand? Daisuke faces the same questions you do-he fears that you hate him for the very fact that he was forced to attack your family. He did leave your brother alive, did he not? From all accounts, by all actions you have taken, you <i>do</i>hate him…despite this bond your souls share. Despite the fact Daisuke is unable to go against his nature. He is a pure and beautiful boy," Even in the midst of his anger, Veem'th smiled mysteriously. "His kind usually are-I'm sure you'll discover this soon enough."

"I have no intention of staying that long," Ken replied in a soft neutral voice.

"I don't see how you have a choice, human. There will be a feast in one week to celebrate Daisuke's safe return and the wedding between Takeru and Miyako-you should be there."

Ken shook his head slowly. "I can't…"

"You can, if you want to. No one but yourself can control your actions. Besides…Daisuke would want you there."

<c>~\*/~</c>

Hikari stopped by a few hours later, knocking politely and waiting while Ken, even though he felt like having no other intruders, rose from the bed and pushed aside the chest. She bustled inward with a cheery smile for him, dropping off several bundles of linen and gathering up a box or two.

"Hello, Ken," she beamed at him, as he found his way over to the bed and sat on it with his knees pulled up. "Are you coming outside to eat with the rest of us today?"

Ken cast his eyes away. "I don't think so," he said, sounding doubtful and unsure.

Hikari smiled sympathetically, understanding, and moved to sit beside him. "Are you afraid that Daisuke won't talk to you?" She watched while Ken shrugged uncomfortably. "Tell me what, then?" ~He <i>must </i>know that Daisuke's only avoiding him because he fears something…doesn't he?~

Ken appeared to find the weave of the trousers over his knees fascinating. "I…" Hikari waited patiently. "I don't fit in," Ken whispered finally. "I don't belong here…"

"Why do you think that?"

Ken half-shrugged again, his posture indicating his deep unease at the situation. "There are people who would kill me if they knew who I was-my brother had to keep me somewhere safe-" The words began tumbling from his lips. Ken explained, painfully, how Daisuke had appeared, how he had taken care of him and the days they spent talking-the day that his brother arrived.

"-I told him to hide under the bed-I-I was breaking the rules-" Ken broke off suddenly and buried his head in his arms. "I <i>deserve</i> to be kidnapped-"

Hikari placed a hand on Ken's back, rubbing in soothing circles. "Shh, don't say that. Daisuke brought you here because he was worried for you. He won't say why, but he's determined to make you part of us." She smiled slightly. "And, knowing Daisuke, he doesn't make bad judgments. I'm sure he had a reason to take you away, Ken. I'm sure of it."

Ken nodded in minuscule movements behind his arms, his mind whirling in circles, feeling trapped and helpless and foolish. ~I wanted to leave…I wanted to get away…I've <i>asked</i> for this…~ "I have been an idiot," he said finally. "I overreacted, and-and-"

"It's alright," Hikari shook her head. "Everyone overreacts when they're frightened. You're in a new place-no one knows you and you don't know them. How are you supposed to know if you're safe? You have a very good reason to be frightened, Ken-but no one here will harm you. I swear. Come out then, and meet a few of my friends? A few of Daisuke's friends? We're his family, you know. You and us, we're all he has."

Ken glanced at her without raising his head. "So he told you about the bond?" His voice was low, curious, and a bit wobbly.

~Bond?~ Hikari thought, and wondered if she should ask Ken about this-but his expression seemed a bit under pressure. She could guess what Ken was so worried about, and smiled. Then she shrugged faintly, and replied. "He didn't have to."

Ken looked relieved, as if some hidden weight had been taken off his shoulders. "Then it's not a bad thing," he murmured to himself. "But…"

"I don't know who I should believe," he whispered after a long silence. "My brother says one thing, and Daisuke says another-How can they both be right?" Then, after a moment where Ken took several fast-paced breaths, he whispered. "What am I going to do?"

"It's your choice, Ken. Daisuke cares deeply about you-he cares about everyone to the point where his own life is meaningless. I think," Hikari paused to phrase her words as delicately as possible. "Perhaps you should discover what lies on both sides of the coin before you choose."

<c>~\*/~</c>

~I have been a coward. I have been afraid. I have been afraid of leaving the safety of my Oasis, of the strong and powerful arms of my brother…~

~I have wished for change.~

~I am a hypocrite, to say one thing while I wish for another with all my heart. I am a coward, an atrocity that fears retribution for wars created long before my family existed. Retribution for a power that I did not want-~

~A power that I love.~

~I wished for change, and when it arrived in the guise of a slender half-breed manling, I seized the chance with my heart while my mouth cried out lies. I am bound to this change, bound to the boy, bound to my life and my power and my brother just as deeply…~

~I am ignorant. Naïve. I know nothing of the things shared between two people, I can only guess and receive hints from those around me. I know nothing of this war that sweeps through the land like the wind, led by a cruel man named the Kaizer. I know nothing but the whispers caught in passing.~

~I know nothing of the world outside the Oasis-~

~I wished for change, and I have received it.~

~I wonder…will I find that I am too afraid to seize it?~

~Will I find that the cost is too much?~

<c>~\*/~</c>

"I don't know what you've gotten into, Daisuke…but I'll trust you…"

"Thanks, cubling…" Daisuke waved a hand nonchalantly without looking back to the blond.

"Hey! I'm not a cub-" Indignant, Takeru shoved at the redhead with feigned anger. "I'm getting wed in a week's time. I'm not a cubling anymore. Idiot-"

Daisuke glanced over his shoulder, a flicker of mischief in his eyes beneath the mental exhaustion. "I see that Miyako managed to tame you nicely, then."

"Daisuke!"

"What-she didn't pull your teeth yet?" Laughter followed the words, as Takeru tackled him out of familiar habits, pushing him to the ground and rolling around, both of them wresting for the upper hand. Daisuke was laughing, for the first time in days, as Takeru straddled him and swatted at his head with gentle fists.

"Damn you," Takeru growled, baring his teeth in a mock-grimace and tweaked at Daisuke's hair. "You shouldn't ever be sad," he told him, and began systematically poking at his ticklish spots.

Laughing, Daisuke smiled up at him, then scissored his legs to catch at Takeru's bent knees, and pushed. In moments he was braced over Takeru, hands pinning the slender-boned wrists-a body he knew that was as deadly as any other weapon-and staring down into the younger Ishida's face. "Takeru-I'm <i>happy</i> for you and Miyako. I really am. I hope you have loads of children."

The blond smiled, azure eyes warm. "I'm happy to wed her, Daisuke…she's the closest thing I will have to a bonded. I am not one of your kind, you know-even though…"

A strange sort of pain flickered in Daisuke's gold and sable eyes. "Takeru, I never meant-" He sat back on his haunches, the boy from the Wolf-clan still sprawled beneath him in a achingly familiar position-

-and was relieved to feel nothing more than friendship. There had been a time that seeing Takeru in such a position would have sent a burning flame traveling through his blood, a need to touch and kiss and <i>feel</i>…

Now…

Something must have shown in his eyes, as he stared rather helplessly at the blond, for Takeru reached up and caught his face, kissed him soundly and with no other intention than comfort.

"I don't regret being with you," Takeru whispered after he drew away a fraction. Daisuke opened his eyes slowly, barely comprehending the understanding as he looked at the blond with simmered emotion. "Even though we both knew it wasn't going to last…I knew someone held your soul for you, so I wasn't sad…"

Grief twisted in Daisuke's features, sharp concentrated pain, as he pressed the palm to his cheek and made a small indistinct sound of distress. "Pray that Taichi returns soon," he said after a long pause, oddly. Then he pulled the mask back upon his face, smiled tiredly at Takeru and stood in a single lithe movement. "Let's go back, now. They'll start to wonder…"

Takeru knew well enough not to argue when Daisuke walled himself up in those hated barriers, those shields against hurt and pain. He knew better than to argue…

But he could still see the pain leaking around the edges, and it bothered him. He wondered, as they walked in silence to the upper ledges of the mountain plateau, what exactly had sent Daisuke's emotional barriers sky-ward.

<c>~\*/~</c>

Silence, icy and cold as death, reigned over the city of L'oira. People huddled in their homes, curled up near the fire or in their beds with nothing but fear coloring the room in stagnant waves. It reeked through the city in shallow twitchy waves. Animals were silent, waiting out a storm that had no natural beginnings.

Silence and fear worked as a team in that city, as the screams started again.

The Kaizer was in a rage tonight.

Inside the elaborate palace, in the higher rooms of the three conjoined towers, blood spattered the alabaster walls in steaks and smears. Two bodies lay slumped in a corner, while another man writhed on the floor, his face a rictus of agony, his eyes drawn back and bloodshot, glazed and vacant. He made a choking sound, flailed, and kicked his heels as something invisible seemed to be squeezing mercilessly around his throat.

Something invisible, untouchable, but <i>there</i>-his own hands left desperate instinctive scratches along the column of his neck, against his cheeks. The man, innocent and young, but with a strange reddish hair and small tanned body, arched his back as his eyes bulged, coloring a dark red in his struggles.

The Kaizer, seated sideways in his carved throne, giggled shrilly, his eyes bright and burning on his victim as he whispered words, and waved his hand, releasing the restraining glyphs and <i>pulled</i> the boy to his unsteady feet. He watched the form waver, the eyes stare blankly as the chest heaved and the blood from burst capillaries leaked into the tears of pain, coloring them a reddish tint.

"I think I'll let you live for maybe two more minutes-if you can keep standing, that is." Smiling a cold dark smile, he formed a glyph of Cut and severed the Achilles tendon in the boy's right foot.

Screaming a harsh and voice-broken scream, the boy hunched, leg drawing up and foot flopping, blood drawing thin lines down his heel-but he remained standing.

There was a quiet knock on the door. The Kaizer narrowed his eyes, turned his head. "What?"

The door opened, and a dark-eyed man flowed into the room. Dressed in long black robes and cloaked from head to foot, the man knelt just inside the doorway as the Kaizer, Osamu, sniffed in disappointment and turned his gaze back to the boy he was fascinated into hurting, and waved his hand negligently. "It's <i>you</i>," he said disparagingly. "Why am I not surprised?"

The figure, skin bone white against the blackness of his robes and stark lusterless hair, merely bowed his head, his lips tight with a thin smile. "Sire," he murmured in a voice modulated for court. "Ishida has awakened. Would you like me to send for him?"

<i>That </i>got the attention, as the Kaizer paused in igniting tiny patches of skin with a white-hot flame, and turned his unreadable eyes behind tinted lenses to him. "Ishida? Yes, do so. I have questions to ask. I'll be in my library," he drawled, and flattened a palm towards the boy. "N'ocix du'Vahkse morr."

The boy fell dead.

The man left the room, a brighter gleam in his eyes and a flicker of a grin on his face.

The Kaizer laughed.

<c>~\*/~</c>

"Will you tell about Daisuke? I don't know much about him, except for what he's told me…"

Hikari turned from looking through a small chest of wrapped and dried roots and smiled slowly. "It's not a great story, Ken. Daisuke has suffered a lot of pain before he came here."

"He told me about his mother, about how she died and that he left-he said he was half-bred." ~He showed me his power,~ he thought, in a quieter voice and bit at his lip. ~He showed me himself, what he was…but I still don't <i>know</i> him.~

"When Daisuke was eleven, he left the house of his stepfather, and traveled the road. He fell into a deadly fever. My brother Tai and Yama-Takeru's brother, were traveling and Yama found him. They took him in, raised him, taught him all sorts of stuff that kids need to grow."

~Yama…~ Ken thought. ~Could it be that the 'Yama' from Daisuke's past is the Yamato that was with my brother?~

That didn't make sense. Blinking, he shook himself mentally and caught the next phrase of what Hikari was explaining. She had traversed the room again, and settled onto the bed with dainty movements.

"Daisuke was…different, back then. It was just him, Tai and Yama back then, before they came back the city most of us lived in before the war. He was-closed. Quiet. Like he had built a wall around himself because of the things he feared. Over time his barriers came down, his laughter and his heart showed true, and things were good. Our little family was growing bit by bit, person by person, and Daisuke-Daisuke was Daisuke, finally, and he was happy."

"He was always teasing me," Ken remarked shyly. "He would say I had to be ugly, to hide myself in the trees. He said that I was half-nymph, or an air sprite, because he could never catch me."

Hikari laughed a delighted giggle. "Oh that must have been strange for you, to go so many years without contact, and suddenly get <i>him</i> of all people…"

Ken smiled wider, and shrugged. "I don't mind-but tell me more about him?"

"Well…" Hikari seemed to gather her thoughts, delving inward and slipping to a somber frame of mind. "He left at thirteen to find his father, and he refused to tell us where he went, but when he came back…when he came back, the war had started and so many people were dying, or dead-"

"What is this war?" Ken whispered, confused. "I heard Veem'th mention this too-"

"The war was started by a boy calling himself the Kaizer, and to this day he continues to wage war against the borders of the country. His palace is L'oira, the capital-taken from the previous king. The Kaizer is an evil, cruel and cold-hearted creature-" Hikari shuddered. "His decree forced us to all leave, forced a <i>lot</i> of us of go into hiding. He began to kill the half-breeds, and people were starving, dying, because of his power-hungry rule."

"One night Tai and Yama had to kill over a dozen guards to get Daisuke out of the city safely-and then Yama disappeared. We haven't seen him since." Her face grew paler, and she pursed her lips. "Tai hasn't been the same, and when Daisuke was kidnapped-something broke. He began taking days at a time to go and search for him-this is the longest he's been gone."

~…he <i>is</i> the one I fought in the Oasis. <i>That's</i> how he knew of Daisuke-~ The words were on his lips, as he put several odd-shaped pieces together and made them into something he could understand. ~The only thing I don't understand is why he was with Osamu-why he and Daisuke fought as they hated each other-that doesn't make <i>sense</i>-~

And truth be told, there was too much that didn't make sense to him. Too many pieces of the puzzle were broken and scattered. He directed a frown at the floor, as Ken shifted himself into a position where his chin dug into his knees and Hikari waited in silence, and slipped into a rapid-fire thought sequence.

~Daisuke's half-bred-raised by this Yamato, the same my brother seems to be acquainted with-but-~

~They fought-a ruse?~

~Diversion?~

~What does my brother have to do with this?~

"Hikari," he said after a moment, feeling grateful she had interpreted his silence and waited patiently. ~I still feel something is missing-something-I'm forgetting. Dammit, why can't I remember!?~

"Yes?"

"I need to talk to Daisuke-could we go and…find him?~

"I'm not entirely sure," she replied seriously, a laugh-gleam in her eyes and a smile hidden behind her words. "I do need to see some patients of mine, and check the conditions of several children-perhaps you could help me carry the necessary supplies?"

In the end, in the face of her tact and polite offer, in the face of his fear and overwhelming unfamiliarity, Ken didn't find it very hard at all to smile and nod acquiescence.

<c>~\*/~</c>

It took the better part of a minute for the word to spread that Daisuke's mysterious foundling had finally unlocked himself and appeared. It took less than two minutes for the people, mostly younger kids waiting at home while older siblings, adults and parents were out in the small plateaus of the fields, to find illogical excuses to be outside, and in the vicinity of the excitement.

By the time Ken, who was trying very hard not to stare at everything himself, realized he had a group of children under the age of twelve following him just when he had more or less accustomed himself to the sensation of being looked at again.

Hikari was helpful in that sense, in the way she chatted to him about random things and introduced the braver few of the group of curious children. He managed to smile shyly for them as they stared with wide eyes and fought the urge to jump into something high and peer between the branches, fought the nerves that were keeping him jumpy and on edge.

A half hour passed, as Ken would wait outside, seated in the shade of the small stocky housing, watching the children with wary eyes even as they reciprocated and stared back, giggling and shuffling just as shyly as he felt inside.

"Ken, this is the last house-then we'll find Takeru and ask him about Daisuke, okay?" Hikari called from a window, leaning out to smile at him. "It will take a while-why don't you and the children go and watch the practice?"

The children, five in total, grinned in response, and the chatter started immediately-apparently the awe-inspiring new arrival had passed over to more familiar and well-loved pastimes.

"Yes, tell Riku I said it was okay-take Ken with you!" she called over her shoulder. "Be <i>nice</i> too!"

"Yes, 'Kari!" Then, as small figures and wide excited grins darted in his direction-Ken felt a stab of panic as hands grabbed any available part of his body, mainly clothing, and began to tug. "Come on-you'll like this, we don't <i>ever</i> get to watch practice unless it's 'portant cuz it's <i>dangerous</i>-" one of the children, older by the rest by a year, informed him proudly, white teeth flashing in against tanned skin.

"Um…"

"Come on-you're slow! Come on come on! Practice is fun!"

Ken twisted his head back to glance at the building he had been pulled away from, and made panicked eyes at the grinning Hikari, knowing she wouldn't help, knowing he was doomed-

-and felt the first trickle of laughter thread into his mind. ~I must look like an idiot, getting tugged around by children and panicking-~ The children were innocent-they couldn't ever bear any harm towards him, not with open smiles and insistent voices, not with purity shining brightly against Ken's crumbling reserves.

"All right," he murmured back, and smiled his first true smile since the Oasis, and found himself in the middle of a loud and raucous group of cheers-oddly sounding like crows-as the children danced him down the path to a lower meadow-like plateau.

He was laughing by the time he stumbled to a stop, leaning on a stunted pine growing crooked compared to the slope of the mountain, feeling ridiculous and unable to find it in himself to care. The children, the oldest named Kira leading them on with hoots, ran to greet a group of young men around Ken's age.

Ken didn't notice-his eyes had caught the view, and it stole the breath from his lungs.

With a soft gasp of wonder he raised his head fully, staring out over the small gently-sloping fields, the altitude lending a hazy quality as he tried to look everywhere at once. They were on a mountain, that he knew, but this-

This was <i>beautiful</i> and incredible and-

"Hi there," a low voice holding a hint of laughter called out. "You must be the "Ken" that Kira claims wants to watch practice."

Blinking, Ken tore his eyes away from the view, and eyed the speaker with caution. "I am-but it was Hikari who suggested that we watch the practice. To be honest I'm not sure what that means, but they-" he indicated the group of children with a shrug and smile "-seem to be rather excited. I assume it must be fun."

The speaker, a boy with pale clear jade eyes and silver hair, watched him with a faint smile. "It's just practice-our style would become useless if we didn't keep ourselves on the up of it, no?" For a second his eyes flickered over Ken, taking him in and warming slightly. "Perhaps you will join?"

Ken shrugged, feeling oddly warm around this exotic-looking boy. Pale skin glistened in the sun from a sheen of sweat, the skin a smooth color shades lighter than his. Clothing that was a tad tight graced his form, while an odd-looking stick, straight and about the length of a sword, was propped casually over his shoulder.

"Maybe," he said noncommittally.

"My name is Riku," the boy said with a small smile, the jade eyes bright against his face.

"Hey-don't let Sorah catch you eyeing the boy-he'll ream you, Riku!" a boy, younger, blond, called good-naturedly from the sides.

"If Daisuke doesn't kill him first!" another laughed, and elbowed his neighbor.

Riku cast a grin over his shoulder, shrugging eloquently, and tossed his head. "You can sit over there," he said to Ken. "If you want to participate, give us a yell. Otherwise-" he turned to face the crowd. "Line'm up!"

Ken made his way to where the children were chattering excitedly about who would win, wondering faintly what this practice was, and made himself comfortable against the short wiry grass and stony earth. "Who is that?" he asked quietly to Kira.

"That's Riku-he's in command after Takeru, because he's a good fighter and level-headed. Takeru-" the boy noted Ken's confused look, and elaborated. "is the third-Daisuke is second, and Tai is leader. Like a chain."

Ken nodded with this simple explanation. The children yelled suddenly-he jumped-and the unusual sound of clacking wood echoed. His startled gaze flew to the group of young men, fifteen or sixteen in total, and blinked.

~Practice…is swordsmanship? Veem'th wasn't kidding when he said they were mercenaries-" his eyes glanced from form to form, noting strengths and weaknesses alike as they went through a series of katas and exercises. "I see why Riku holds position," he murmured. A smile grew on his face. ~Perhaps this won't be so bad after all.~

<c>~\*/~</c>

"Takeru!"

Lost in his thoughts, his worry, the blond barely acknowledged the call until small hands grabbed at his wrists, startling him into looking up. "Hikari?"

She smiled at him, apologized and released her grip. "Have you seen Daisuke?"

Takeru frowned. "I was with him at the pool, but…he went cold on me, 'Kari. I don't know where he went."

"Oh dear…That's not good, is it…"

"No…something's really bothering him. Hey," Takeru looked over and raised a brow. "Why are you out here?"

"Ken decided to come out," Hikari winked, "And we were looking for Daisuke."

"Really, now…he left that damned room?"

"Walked right out-and the kids dragged him off to watch practice."

"I see-and you want me to go rescue him?"

Hikari flashed a grin and did her best to look innocent. "I never said that."

"Didn't have to," Takeru rolled his eyes. "Women," he muttered. "You're always playing word games."

<c>~\*/~</c>

"Like what you see?"

Ken raised his eyes to meet Riku's, smiled faintly and shrugged. "The view is beautiful. I've never seen anything quite like it."

A secretive glimmer flashed in the boy's eyes, as he stood over Ken. "You could improve it-wanna try your hand?"

Blinking at his phrase, Ken tilted his head. "Are you asking me to practice with you?"

"Come on, we won't hurt you-"

Ken raised a brow, and got to his feet. Dusting himself off he said, "And if I hurt you?"

Riku laughed, and Ken felt a jolt of competition course through his blood. He wordlessly held out his hand, smiling faintly, and received a wooden sword. He hefted it, gauging balance and gripping the smoothed wooden handle. After a second thought he toed off his boots and stood in the rough ground barefoot.

"You sure are a strange boy," Riku murmured, watching him test the ground. "But that's okay-I'll go easy on-"

Ken blurred in, his sword tapping against Riku's own and away again as Ken flashed his own grin. "Who said I was easy?"

Startled, on the defensive for the first time in a long time, Riku blinked and slowly smiled.

They were well into the fight, trading blows and silence with precision and calculation, the others gathered in the loose circle to watch the newbie and Riku battle it out with disbelief etched on their faces. It was how Takeru found them, locked blades and sweating, the others cheering as Ken danced away again, his feet kicking up dust and grass.

Impressed by the sheer grace of the two sparring in the center, Takeru stopped on the rise of the path and stared. "He's good," he muttered, as he saw Riku miss a hit and Ken slip to the side. "Who the hell <i>is</i> this kid?"

<c>~\*/~</c>

"You wanted to see me sir?"

"Ah, Ishida-" the voice seemed pleased to hear him. "I am up on the balcony. Join me."

So Ishida did, his bruised ribs protesting the strain of climbing the ladder, his instincts screaming at him, and pulled his icy mask on his face as he came around the corner and knelt.

"How are your injuries?"

"Healing," he said shortly.

"Mm…Ishida-tell me something. Is it possible that you have encountered that <i>boy</i> before? It certainly seems as if you did-"

"I-" Ishida paused, looked up with a calm expressionless face, and shrugged. "In the years before I served you, he and I met and had a disagreement. We fought-but it was interrupted. His name is Daisuke-his mother was whore to some creature." Inwards he turned away, shamed at how easy the words fell from his mouth. "His stepfather tried and failed to kill him and he showed his face in the city I was in at the time. He joined forces with the mercenaries that continue to elude you now."

The Kaizer, seated in one of the straight-backed chairs with a book on his lap, kept a long and dark look fixed on Ishida. The blond didn't dare look away, didn't dare twitch his face.

"I see. All the more reason to hunt him down, then. It has come to my attention that the assassin I had been hearing rumors about was none other than that creature-"

"Sir?" Ishida hardened his mask, allowing his anger to show, hid his startled fear. ~…he knew…~

"So I have begun preparations."

<c>~\*/~</c>

"You're just full of surprises," Takeru called down, and grinned. "Not everyone can defeat Riku-you must be lucky."

Ken glanced up at him, blinked and frowned curiously. "You're Takeru-?"

"Yes," the blond replied. "'Kari sent me to get you, but I didn't expect to see you and Riku duking it out."

"He's very good," the silver-haired boy replied, and a glance traveled in Ken's direction.

Takeru rolled his eyes. "You stop that," he said. "Making eyes at Ken isn't going to help."

Riku grinned. "Why not? He was <i>made</i> to be looked at."

"Well, not <i>now</i> he wasn't," Takeru swiped at the paler boy and made a face. "Have you guys seen Daisuke?"

Ken raised his eyes to Takeru from the task of slipping into his footwear at the mention of the name, but Riku shrugged. "Haven't seen him, yet. It's too bad, though, I was hoping for a good spar today."

"Riku, don't piss him off today," Takeru muttered and shook his head. "Not until Tai's back. Right now he's…he's gone cold again."

Surprise flashed in jade eyes. "I see. Did something happen?"

"Not yet." Takeru turned to Ken. "Are you ready to go?"

Ken was standing stiffly, hands clasped around his waist and his eyes blank. He had raised his head to stare towards the village, a strange look of unease in his eyes. "Is Daisuke okay?" he asked softly.

"I don't know…I was hoping that seeing you outside would help, but I don't know where he is."

"I don't understand," Ken replied, and finally turned his head to face Takeru.

"Come on." The blond said a farewell to the practice group, smiled at the children and began to walk with Ken. "I think he's upset about something. I saw him by the pool and we talked for a bit-He thinks that he's doing something wrong, if you hate him, and all. He's…emotionally sensitive to things like that. He's special, Daisuke is."

"Yes…and I don't hate him," Ken whispered. "I was angry with him, I was hurt, and scared, but I could never hate him."

Nodding, Takeru kept his silence until they reached the lower houses. "Are you going to tell him that?"

"Yes. I have to ask him something…"

"Yeah? About what? Maybe I can help."

Ken paused, gave him a piercing look as if he was thinking over something in his head, and looked away. "It was about…my brother," he whispered.

"He and Daisuke fought, I take it?"

"Yes…but I don't understand why. There's something I'm missing-" They walked to the small clearing of sandy and grass-less ground, pounded flat by feet and the small stocky mountain horses.

"Takeru-can I-"

But Takeru wasn't looking at him anymore, Ken noticed. The blond had fixed his incredulous gaze on the gates of the smaller stronghold walls, disbelief and surprise etched. Curious, Ken followed his gaze to where the gates, open as usual, led him to see down the mountain path to where several weary horses were traveling in their direction.

"It's…it's really him!"

Grinning suddenly, Takeru raised his hands to cup around his mouth, throwing his head back and howled out a greeting and a summons. The wolf cry echoed, as people raised their heads. A figure, still far away to be indiscernible, raised a hand and waved. People were running into the square, confusion lanced through Ken as he stumbled back to a safer spot.

Tai was home.