Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Playing the Part ❯ The Things We Do For ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Playing The Part

Disclaimer: Digimon is not mine. However…I do like the Sorato ending. But seriously, a word for Tolei: Yamato an astronaught?? What were you people thinking?!

A/N: Thanks for all the nice reviews! I'm glad you people like this fic! Sorry about the wait, I'm on holiday…and I write this fic in school. ^.^() That and I'm sick, the doctor told me I have a chest infection. *sigh* Now, normally I don't plug my webpage here, but I want more people to sign my guestbook…so, go there! (And sign away!)

http://www.envy.nu/smabbi Thanks! R&R, nice long ones!

(*)(*)(*)

Chapter Four: The Things We Do For 'Art'

"You want me to do what?!"

Takani-sensei sighed, "Sora, it's not that hard, really."

She scowled, "You've never seen me dance," stubbornly, she crossed her arms, "I'll make a complete fool of myself!"

"Sora, you have to! It's part of the play! Listen, it's going to be completely choreographed, there'll be other people dancing on stage with you, it won't be that bad!" Takani-sensei stared at his female lead pleadingly, wondering how he had managed to secure such a stubborn cast.

He sighed, Ishida Yamato was another problem, he watched the teenager saunter into the hall, greeting other cast members and waving to the anxious fangirls who were clustered outside squealing excitedly when their idol so much as looked at them.

It had become obvious after the first week of rehearsals that Yamato's fangirls were a distraction the cast couldn't afford, especially when several of them were found hanging from the lighting early one Saturday morning. They were now banned from the rehearsal area, but the number of them that waited outside never ceased to amaze the teacher, after all, Yamato wasn't that great, was he?

Takani-sensei sighed again, he was getting a headache, "Sora… at least talk to the choreographer, okay? It's only one dance and I really don't see why we should re-write the scene just because you don't feel like dancing in front of an audience."

Sora frowned, "Okay, I'll think about it."

"Good," he smiled, aware and relieved that the disaster was temporarily averted, "Can we get on with this rehearsal? Lord Capulet…where's Masa?"

"He forgot his script!" Someone called from the back, "He's run home to get it, said to go on without him!"

Takani-sensei rubbed him temples, it wasn't possible to go on without him, this scene consisted of Lord Capulet and Juliet, no one else. He closed his eyes, trying to dispel the pain in his head, this was going to be a long day.

(*)(*)(*)

"Sensei?"

"What now?" The rather tense teacher raised the half smoked cigarette to his lips, inhaling deeply.

"This can't be right," Yamato protested, waving his script in the air, "Look at this!" He waved the book in front of the teacher's face, almost knocking the cigarette from his lips.

"Mr Ishida, are you claiming that the playwright is wrong in some way?" Takani-sensei asked incredulously, "What's the problem?"

"There's a kiss written into this scene!"

Takani-sensei sighed, emitting a cloud of smoke, "Mr Ishida, this is the first of many kisses, get used to it!"

"What?" The teenager turned pale, "You don't expect me to kiss, Sora?"

The teacher flicked the remaining stub of his cigarette to the ground, grinding it out under his heel, "Surely you don't have a problem with that, Mr Ishida? After all, you are the one with all the fans are you not?"

"That's different!" The blonde protested, "Sora's my friend!"

"Mr Ishida, you will kiss her. You are playing Romeo, she is playing Juliet, it's a part of the play. Now, I suggest that you enjoy the remainder of your lunchbreak." He replied coolly, walking away.

"Damn it!" Yamato threw the script at a nearby tree, wondering how it was possible that one play could cause him this much stress.

"Yamato?" She approached him half-warily, "Is everything okay?"

He forced a smile, he really didn't want to upset Sora again, plus it seemed a silly thing to be upset over. Friend or not, Sora was a member of the opposite sex, and they were weird, if he told her what was bothering him, she would more than likely get insulted, "I'm fine, just a little stressed over all these lines we're meant to learn."

She laughed, "They're horrible, aren't they? I don't even understand half of what I'm saying sometimes!" She paused for thought, "Hey, are you doing anything tonight?"

He shrugged, running a hand through his messy blonde hair, "Just band practise. Why, what's up?"

"Nothing, I just wanted to know if you wanted to get together tonight and rehearse some of our scenes."

He raised an eyebrow, "Get together tonight, huh? Sounds good."

"Baka!" She hit him with a book, laughing, "You're so arrogant sometimes, Yamato!"

"Hey," he grinned, struggling to fend off her attack, "You should watch how you phrase things! I'm a hormonally charged teenage guy, a dirty mind is part of the requirement!"

She rolled her eyes, "Whatever," she hit him one more time for good measure, "My place? Around eight?"

He smirked, "Sure, that gives us plenty of time," he said, lowering his voice to a suggestive tone to annoy her.

Sora raised her eyebrows threateningly, "Run."

(*)(*)(*)

"Sora! Hey, Sora!"

She turned, not recognising the voice and regretting the fact she hadn't as soon as saw who it was. Motimaya Jun wore a scowl on her face. Sora sighed, "What is it, Jun?"

"What's this I hear about you and Yamato going out on a date tonight?" She demanded, glaring at Sora, "You know he's mine!"

Sora was tired, she had been at school all day, having classes and a two hour rehearsal after that, now, she had a shift at the flower shop, Jun's overbearing attitude was the last thing she needed, "Look, first of all, Yamato is my friend, so it's not a date and I can hang out with him if I want to. Secondly, we're rehearsing our parts for the school play and thirdly, he's not yours, Jun. I don't see your name branded across his forehead, and even if it was, he's free to spend time with whoever he wants!" With that, Sora pushed past the open-mouthed girl.

(*)(*)(*)

"Wait, you left her standing there?" Yamato burst out laughing, "Man, I wish I had been there! I'd have loved to see the look on her face!"

Sora mock-glared at him, then grinned, "Don't you get sick of her following you around?"

Yamato shrugged, "Yes," he shuddered, "Like the time she tricked me into a date."

She laughed, "And the time she followed you guys when you went camping?" She reached over, patting Yamato's head, "Poor Yama-kun, too many obsessive fans?" She cooed teasingly.

He sniffled, putting on his best sad look, "Yeah. There's only so much of me to go around!"

She rolled her eyes, tossing the script at him, "You hungry?"

"Not really," he replied, picking up the book and flipping through it, "Which scene do you want to rehearse?"

Sora reached over and grabbed it from him, "The balcony one, we're rehearsing it tomorrow. You're not supposing to use this anymore, Yamato," she scolded.

He pouted, "But I need it!" He whined, "Can't we use it this once?"

"No," she placed the book on the table, "You're not allowed to use it tomorrow anyway."

"But I know I'll really need it," he paused for a moment, looking up at her, "Weren't you making food?"

(*)(*)(*)

"…be but foresworn my love and I'll no longer be a Capulet!" Sora paused, racking her brain for the next line, "Uhh…" she looked at Yamato helplessly, "Prompt?" She asked hopefully.

He smirked, waving the book in front of her face annoyingly, "Uh…no? Whatever happened to: 'We're not supposed to use it anymore, Yamato!'"

She scowled, lunging for the book and almost falling off the sofa, which was serving as a makeshift 'balcony', "Yamato! How are we supposed to rehearse? Give me the script!"

He laughed, "This is much more fun, besides, you said -"

"Forget what I said! We need to rehearse!" Sora yelped, falling off the sofa completely. She landed on her annoying friends and snatched the book away from him.

Thinking quickly, he quickly flipped himself over, trapping her under him, "We're not using the script," he repeated softly, "Be a good girl and give it to me."

"I - uh…" She stared at him, feeling his breath on her face, "No?" It came out more of a squeak than in defiance. He's so very close…

He briefly wondered what it would be like to lower his lips and kiss her, feel her lips against him. What are you doing?! His brain was screaming at him, but he decided to ignore it, "Y'know," Yamato continued conversationally, "There's a kiss written in this scene," his breath quickened and he leaned in closer to her, so close that their noses were almost touching, "I say, we rehearse that part."

She swallowed, "I - uh…" What is he doing? Is he teasing me? She wasn't going to back down if he was, "Maybe, we…should -"

She was cut off as he pressed his lips to hers.

(*)(*)(*)

A/N: Does that qualify as a cliffhanger? I've always wanted to write one of those! *grins* Aren't I evil? I need lotsa reviews and people to sign my guestbook if you want me to continue! Nah, I'll write it anyway, just cuz it's really, really, fun! ^.^ But I'd like the reviews and signings. Enough Sorato for you peoples? Hope so. Well, guess I better get started on the next chapter…and finish off my physics assignment…Ja!

© 2001-07-15

Smabbi-chan

~~ For everyone who reviewed the last chapter and my inspiration ~~