Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Rebel Girl ❯ What do you need? ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER EIGHT
 
Kari kept trying to persuade Davis to eat something.
 
“I'm not hungry.” he simply said.
 
She sighed, and then summed up all her courage to ask Davis, “Why couldn't you be happy for me and TK?”
 
Davis remained silent, once again not moving of making a sound. “Well?” she replied. “Why couldn't you just move on instead of doing all this to yourself?”
 
He turned to face her. “It's not that I couldn't accept the fact that you were with TK.” he said. “It's the fact that I still didn't get to be with you.”
 
Davis kept on explaining that all he ever wanted was to be with her. Kari was the only girl he ever loved, the only one he could ever fell love for, and the only one he wanted in his life.
 
“No one else in the whole world can make me feel the way you can Kari.”
 
Even if he was able to move on, Davis would never feel for another the way he felt for Kari. A relationship with anyone else would only look like… no… would be a sham.
 
However, Davis also wanted Kari to be happy. Even if that happiness was not with him. “I just never told you that because I thought I sound like a jerk, and you'd laugh at me.”
 
Kari wasn't laughing but she was smiling. Davis however was still looking gloomy.
 
He went on to say that if she wanted to be with TK, or someone else, Davis would only want what's best for her. “Even if that means… walking out of your life forever.”
 
Kari wondered how he could say such a thing. “But Davis… I'd still always like you best.” she said trying to make things better. “I mean… sure we wouldn't be together, but we'd still be great friends.”
 
She even reminded Davis that, even though their adventures were well behind them, and they hadn't seen their Digimon for a long time, Davis still had the Digi egg of friendship.
 
“Huh?”
 
Davis did remember the Digiegg of friendship. It chose him because he knew how to make friends deep inside, and he knew how to keep his heart in the right place, but he just shook his head. “Kari that doesn't work in this situation.”
 
True he said he could probably accept Kari wanting happiness from someone else, but one thing he could never, ever, truly accept would be that he wasn't with Kari. Even if he was able to find someone else… his heart would always remain with her.
 
Love was much different than ordinary friendship. The Digiegg of friendship had nothing to do with Davis' current problem. As much he did like having Kari for a friend… it just wasn't going to work.
 
“That's why I did all this.” he said. “It's just not going to work… it's just too much for me, and I'm not interested in finding anyone else if I can't make it work out.”
 
Kari could sense Davis was starting to act all compassionate again. The side of him she thought had long since ceased. “So?” she asked.
 
“So what?”
 
“So… do you really want to keep doing this?” Kari replied. “Look at what you've done to yourself? You're making yourself sick like this. You need rest, you need food… and you need me and your friends.”
 
“Well what about you?” Davis quickly cut in.
 
Kari winced. “Me?
 
“Yeah… what do you need?” Davis replied. “I mean, look at it… you know I'm unstable, there's not much you can do to help, so what are you trying to accomplish here?”
 
Kari almost felt hurt at that statement, but then she realized she couldn't answer him as she didn't have anything to say. Davis was right in a way, all here little investigating, interventions, and trying to help only made things worse.
 
Davis got suspended from work, and now he was trying to distant himself from everyone in the world.
 
Davis sighed to himself. “Look… I'll think about it okay… but I'm still not coming out.” He said to her softly. “I just want to be alone.”
 
Kari decided to leave feeling as if she hadn't made things any better. “Why… why can't I ever help anyone out right?” she kept on asking herself.
 
Meanwhile
 
Davis finally started eating his lunch, but he was still locked up in his own darkness to really enjoy it much. “What's happening to me?” he kept on thinking to himself. “How did I let this happen?”
 
The truth was… as much there was a part of him who enjoyed scarring girls away, and showing them who's boss, he did know that he was hurting them a little, not to mention humiliating them completely.
 
He really had changed. From being a hero who used to risk his life for anything and anyone, the kid who believed in courage, friendship and Miracles… to a Rebel rocker who knew nothing but hate and misery.
 
He was actually starting to realize as if for the first time, just what a jerk he was starting to become… and he knew a lot of jerks in his time before being a Digi-destined… but he really didn't know what to do.
 
Even if he stopped and went back to being plain old Davis, what good would that do? All his true feelings still belonged to Kari, and that was something that would never change… something he could never get back.
 
Not to mention he really made a lot of girls upset with he Rebel Girl song. He had a sick feeling there wasn't going to be any forgive and forget, why should there be? He hadn't been very pleasant or merciful lately…
 
“What am I going to do?”
 
Meanwhile
 
“What am I going to do?” Kari wondered.
 
The way Davis was acting, you'd think he was almost afraid to ever be seen again, but that wasn't her real problem now. She was really thinking hard about what Davis said.
 
What did she need?
 
She was even starting to get the impression that “What” she needed was not really what Davis had meant, but in fact “Whom.” Who did she need.
 
Sure she broke up with TK, and was real worried about Davis, and Davis did say blurt out some pretty hard things about him liking her. She really felt confused, she didn't know what to do.
 
It wasn't like she was actually considering going off with Davis, that would only seem like pity, and besides, her break-up with TK only seemed to be one of those “Pause” things.
 
She sighed heavily. What could she do between two guys she really liked, and make things all clear again?