Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Reflection ❯ Reflection ( One-Shot )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Digimon: Reflection Disclaimer: Like I have to do this again. You know the drill.

Author's Note: This is for Cyn-sama's Be Nice To Jun contest. It's SilvorMoon who got me liking Jun in the first place, so I better thank here, too! Thank you for Nowhere Near!!

This is Jun's POV, in case some dimwitted person couldn't figure that out. ^_~

Revision Notes: Mostly minor rewording, with some fixed tenses, but there's also no longer any mention of romance in this fic, due to the fact that this makes it fit better with the sequel.

Reflection



I always knew.

All along, I've known that Daisuke was special. He's always had this... aura... around him; even as a baby, it told me that he was destined for greatness. Now I find myself gazing at a picture of him, crying softly as I remember every single mean thing I ever did to him because I was jealous.

Yes, jealous. The great, ever popular Motomiya Jun is jealous of her little, unpopular, ne'er-do-well little brother. Mostly, it's because for all of my friends, my popularity is hollow. Oh, most of my friends would be surprised to hear me say that, then probably think I was having a weird day. That, or shun me until the far side of forever. In fact, they'd probably do that if they learned that I even had coherent thoughts. I guess, though, that the mask I've built up around myself is the only thing keeping me from going insane. For all of my friends, Daisuke has the one thing that I never have: Friendship.

I suppose that's odd, me the one with all the friends, him the one with friends who barely say two words without putting him down somehow... though that's changed. When they started to learn of the artist in him, the part that he never showed the world, things began to change, and he changed with them. He went from the jerk girl-chaser to the deep artist, a true friend to all who wanted it. Surprise, surprise, he never got into my circle - well, the counterpart in his school - but then, I don't think he wanted to. He wasn't about things like popularity and gossip, his heart was only good for true friendship.

I suppose the thing I hate most about this is not knowing: not knowing when I'll see him again, or if some new Digimon is going to hurt him.

Yes, I know about the Digital World. I cornered Veemon one day when Daisuke had to leave him at home -- I also made him promise not to tell anyone that I knew. If Daisuke only knew how often I've covered for his friends. Like Mom and Dad would even notice he was gone... I know that it's not their fault they're always away from home, it's their jobs, but still... Hey, someone just knocked on the door.

I open the door slowly, to reveal Daisuke's five closest friends. Ken's holding Daisuke's goggles, and every single one of them has a sad expression. "Oh, no! Did something happen? Tell me he's all right!"

Ken speaks: "There... there was an accident. He... he didn't make it. We couldn't get the body."

I can tell, from the way their staring at me, that my eyes got hard, not wide or sad. I suppose the anger is to be expected; I can read between the lines. Some big, bad, Digimon got behind their lines, and managed to get in a strike at the leader of the Digidestined. "C'mon. You better come in." As they file past me, I can see the emotions running over everyone's faces. Ken, demolished: he's lost the one he loved most in the world, the first true friend he's ever had... I don't think he'll last very long now. Kari, shattered: the one true constant in her world, aside from Takeru, is gone. Takeru himself, confused: nothing like this was supposed to happen to any of them. Miyako, shocked: she still hasn't grasped the magnitude of the whole thing. Iori, solid: he's grieving, on the inside, but he's not letting it take control. Out of all of them, he's the only one who's going to be able to fight for the next while. I hope he's up to it.

Me, Enraged. Mad that I couldn't be there beside him, help defend him, because of a simple little thing like destiny. It wasn't my destiny to be one of the Chosen Children. But destiny or not, I'm joining them now. "Give me his D-3 and D-Terminal." They seem shocked at the revelation that I know about them. Or maybe it's the steel in my voice. Softening it, I ask again, "Please... For Daisuke?" Ken hesitates, nods, and hands over the two devices. Why am I not surprised that he had them?

I hold the D-3 in my hand, running a finger along it's edge.This is for you, Daisuke. For you and to take back every single mean thing I've ever said and done to you. As I open the D-Terminal, I walk over to the family computer. "Dejitaru geito, opun!"

*** To Be Continued ***