Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Renewal of the Forgotten ❯ I Spy ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
*Disclaimer: I don’t own digimon...big surprise huh?

Thus far: The two friends, Kayla and Emma, were finally reunited(with a small interruption from Gargomon)...

Kayla: Bastard...

...afterwards the two girls were finally let on to the reason why they were brought to the digital world. Digimon are slowly disappearing from the digital world because people in the real world have been slowly forgetting their existance, but if that weren’t enough a dark force is trying to help this process along...

* * *

The participants of the previous night’s camp out were woken by the bright, early morning sunlight. The sun brought with it that peaceful calm that only comes between the hours of six and seven in the morning. The time when the birds themselves are just barely waking, and the air is fresh with the scent of dew...

“RISE AND SHINE!”

The sudden burst of unwanted noise sent creatures skittering through the bushes and trees nearby.
Emma rolled over and covered her face with an arm. “Kayla, would you do me a favor and kill the alarm clock?”

“Mmm too tired. You do it,” she replied, rolling over onto freshly wet grass.

Emma raised her arm and formed her hand into a gun which she aimed in the general direction of Gargomon. She pulled back on the imaginary trigger.

“Pow. You’re dead,” and she covered her face with her arm again. Unphased, Gargomon continued.

“Aw come on guys! Time to get up, you’ve got a big day ahead of you!”

“If I can still hear your voice when I wake up in a few hours, I’m murdering you,” Kayla announced. Meanwhile hobbled footsteps arrived next to Gargomon and a throat was cleared.

“As much as this pains me to say, for once I agree with Gargomon. There’s much to do and very little time to do it in. So if you would kindly drag yourselves inside for some breakfast I’d be much obliged.”

Groaning from disdain and the act of stretching their limbs, the two girls rubbed the sleep from their eyes and slowly ambled their way towards the front door of Jijimon’s house at his much kinder command.
The food was once again served by the resident cook Coelamon, and with the smell of scrambled eggs in the air no one wasted any time getting their first serving of breakfast...with the exception of Gargomon whom Emma “accidently” and very discreetly locked out of the house. Oops, she thought with absolutely no remorse. Kayla laughed, quickly figuring out what her friend had done. Already seated at the table eating their breakfasts besides the previously mentioned humans, Jijimon and Coelamon, were Piyomon, Gomamon, Moosemon, and a newcomer recognized by the girls as Centarumon.

“Girls, I’d like to introduce you to Centarumon,” Jijimon announced. “He’s the resident medic.”

The girls, uncouth as they were, or perhaps they were just too tired to care, said hello through mouthfuls of food.

“Nice to meet you,” replied Centarumon. “As soon as you are finished with your breakfast I’d like to take a look at your injuries.”

BANG BANG BANG!

“C’mon guys, that’s not fair! I want breakfast too!”

Jijimon heaved a great sigh. “Will someone throw him some food before I develop another migraine,” he groaned, already massaging his temples.

* * *

“What are your injuries,” inquired Centarumon.

“My ankle. I got lost in the Native Forest and I kept tripping over logs and I think I twisted my ankle one too many times.”

“I see.” He examined Emma’s ankle, touching it lightly. “Does it feel any better today than it did yesterday?”

“Well this morning it felt a little better but now it’s starting to really hurt again.”

“Hmm, it probably felt better because you slept outside where the air was cool and because you didn’t put any weight on it while you were sleeping, obviously. It seems a bit swollen right now but I don’t think it’s that bad. However it would be wise to put ice on it for a while and afterwards I can put a brace on it.”

Emma nodded and he trotted off to fetch some ice.

“So, what do we do after this,” Kayla asked her friend. But Piyomon appeared just then and answered for them.

“After this we go to The Overdell to see Grey Lord. He’ll have further instructions for us. Jijimon was only able to give you the background story but other than that he doesn’t know much. Jijimon and the others are helping Grey Lord but even he doesn’t know all the details. But by now Grey Lord should have the information we need to continue.”

“Oh cool we get to go see Grey Lord!”

Kayla was confused. “Who’s Grey Lord?”

“He’s a Myotismon,” Emma told her.

“Ooh!”

Centarumon had now returned with a cloth full of ice. “Here, hold this against your ankle,” he said handing it to Emma. Then he turned to Piyomon.

“Ah, Piyomon, you’re here. Did you make the ankle brace that I asked for?”

“Right here,” she said and handed it to him. The brace looked like it was woven out of reedy or grass type plants.

“Woah, what’d you make it out of,” Kayla asked.

“Leather Plant. It’s a plant that has the durability and feel of leather, like the name says,” Piyomon answered. After a few moments of small talk Centarumon put the ankle brace on Emma.

“Well that should help until your ankle heals. Now I suppose the three of you should hurry off to see Grey Lord.”

“Tell Jijimon and the others goodbye for us, would you Centarumon?”

“Of course. Thank you for your help Piyomon. And good luck to all of you.”

With Piyomon leading the way, the three made their way across the eastern bridge into the neighboring jungle. They passed by a sleeping Aruraumon and a couple of quarreling J-Mojyamons. A vending machine at that point caught Emma’s eye. It looked like the back two feet were stuck in the semi muddy ground and the glass front was cracked, but it still seemed to be functional.

“Hey,” Emma pointed out the vending machine to the others. “It looks like the ones from the game!”

“What game,” her friend asked.

“The Digimon World game, duh! I’d kick it but I’d just hurt my ankle more.”

“Don’t worry, I’ll kick it for you...”

Kayla ran up to the machine and gave it a nice soccer kick. All of a sudden a red light started flashing along to a siren. A woman’s voice began yelling: Physical damage to the vending machines is not allowed! Self-destruct sequence now activated! T minus 5 minutes until self-destruct!

The girls looked wide eyed at each other and in a flash bolted away from the machine as fast as they could. Piyomon just shook her head not caring in the least about the vending machine’s warning. She was starting to wonder if all humans were this...dare she say, moronic?

* * *

Just a few minutes later the girls and Piyomon found themselves standing in front of the iron gate to Grey Lord’s mansion.

“Halt! Who goes there!”

“Quit it Flarerizamon, no one’s falling for that,” Piyomon told him. The two Flarerizamon guards came out of their sentry pose.

“Anyone ever tell you you’re no fun sometimes Piyomon?”

She merely replied with the smart aleck look on her face. She then led the girls through the gate into the front yard, which appeared more like a computer graveyard.

* * *

“Self-destruct in T minus 20 seconds...”

* * *

“Ooh, forboding,” Emma said in mock fright. Though the sun was bright outside in the Overdell, inside the gate both the mansion and the front yard were shrouded in a mysterious shadow that seemed to come from nowhere and yet everywhere at the same time. Every piece of technology you could think of from PC’s to PDA’s seemed to be scattered throughout the yard. The raised roots of trees intertwined with audio/video cable. The cord of one computer monitor was plugged into what seemed to be an electrical outlet in the ground, and the screen would flicker on and off every so often.

“Ack! What was that?!” Kayla yelled and nearly knocked over her friend.

“Ah! What was what?”
“That! ...where...it was there just a second ago!”

“What was it?!”

“I dunno, but it was over there,” she shrieked pointing over by a tree in the corner.

“It was probably a Soulmon. They like to sit out here and try to scare newcomers,” Piyomon told her. “Come on, let’s go.”

* * *

“T minus 10 seconds...9 seconds...8 seconds...”

* * *

Piyomon opened the front door and let everyone in. As they entered a figure was coming down the stairs. When the figure on the stairs saw the two girls he stumbled and grabbed onto the railing.

“You...you’re here. Piyomon you found them,” he said exasperated. “Where did you find them?” He made his way to the bottom of the stairs.

“I found Emma,” she pointed at the taller of the two, “in the Native Forest being attacked by Gargomon.”

Emma waved happily at their host.

* * *

“2 seconds...1 second........”

Silence.

Buzzing and electrical sparks spit out from the dollar slot. With a small pop one of the selection buttons flew off the machine. The light flickered out and the machine powered down.

“Son of a b*tch. I was hoping it’d actually do something this time.”

“Eh, better luck next time.”

The two J-Mojyamons continued their previous quarreling.

* * *

“And this is Kayla. She was led to File City with the help of a Gomamon where she was also attacked by Gargomon.”

“...myotismon...” Kayla mumbled, in a bit of shock at the sight of the vampire digimon.

“Oh, and this is Grey Lord,” Piyomon introduced him to the girls. Grey Lord looked concerned.

“Gargomon...is he...working for...”

“No,” she shook her head. “He’s just an idiot.”

“Ah...him. Anyway, lots to do.” He clapped his hands together. “Very important question: You both have your digivices, do you not?”

The girls fidgeted in their pockets and held up their digivices: Kayla her purpleish-grey one, Emma her dark crimson one. Grey Lord seemed very relieved.

“Good, it worked.”

The girls exchanged confused looks.

“And I assume Piyomon that you’ve realized you are the digimon partner of one of the girls?”

She nodded. “Yes. I’m Emma’s partner.” Emma smiled proudly at her red and black Piyomon.

“Good...and what about you?”

“Um...I haven’t found my partner yet,” Kayla replied, a little sad. Before Grey Lord could say anymore a Gaurdromon appeared from one of the doors in the side of the foyer and rolled up to Grey Lord. In a mechanoid voice he delivered an urgent message.

“Sir, we have a complication with the experiment in Laboratory X-2. We require your assisstance.”

If Grey Lord could go any paler than his natural skin color, he would at this moment. “Yes, right away,” he replied. Before following the Gaurdromon he turned to the trio. “Piyomon, would you be so kind as to give the humans a tour. Afterwards you may head to the dining room for some lunch.”

Piyomon nodded stoutly and Grey Lord hurried after the Gaurdromon.

“What kind of experiment is he working on,” Kayla asked. Piyomon shrugged.

“He tells me about some of his experiments, but not all. Not a single digimon here knows about every single experiment he runs except for Grey Lord himself. Except perhaps Lady Riza.”

“Who’s Lady Riza?”

“A DarkFlarerizamon. I can introduce you to her later. Right now I’ll give you the tour. Let’s start this way and I can show you what I’ve been working on since I’ve been here.”

Piyomon led them off to the right and through the same door that Grey Lord and the Gaurdromon exited through. Offhandedly, Emma made a mental note about how Piyomon’s somewhat quiet and stark disposition seemed to lighten a bit since they entered the mansion. Entering a corridor the three walked passed several data storage devices that looked as though they were being penetrated by a bulbous plant-like root system. Kayla uttered a noise of disgust.

“What is that stuff,” she asked as they stepped over a particularly large - and pulsing- part of it.

“I asked the same question when I first came,” Piyomon answered. “As far as Grey Lord knows someone slipped up in an experiment involving plant digimon DDNA. This was the result. It gets in the way at times but as far as we can see it’s harmless.”

They were now at the end of a corridor and Piyomon opened the door straight ahead of them. She stepped aside to let the girls pass then entered herself and closed the door. The girls found themselves in a small rectangular room. A small table sat behind the door littered with stacks of VHS tapes. A cabinet was on the wall above it, doors slightly ajar. Another larger table sat against the wall opposite the door supporting a television set, VHS player, a desktop computer, and another machine whose function was undeterminable. In all corners of the room sat looming piles of things you’d easily find at a flee market. The finishing touch had to be the bulbous plant material that covered the walls, ceiling, and a good part of the floor like odd living wallpaper.

“Well this is where I work,” said Piyomon simply. “I guess you could call this my own personal laboratory.”

“What...exactly do you do in here. It just looks like you watched a bunch of videos...,” Emma trailed off. Kayla picked up a tape off the stack closest to her.

“Of the first season of Digimon,” Kayla finished.

“Well that’s basically what I did.”

“But...why,” asked Emma. She was still gawking up at the mutated vegetation on the upper wall and ceiling.

“Well, Grey Lord never gave me much instruction about what he wanted me to do. He said just review the tapes and he’d come ask me about them later. It was about a month before I realized he wanted me to review the digital coding on the tapes.”

Kayla tried to understand but ended up with a “...Huh?”

“That’s what that machine is for,” and Piyomon pointed at the funny machine whose function was previously undeterminable. But noticing the still befuddled looks on their faces she explained further. “Here, I’ll show you,” and she took the tape from Kayla’s hand. Piyomon hit a button on the funny machine, as well as the button on the computer monitor, to turn them both on. She pushed the tape into the machine, which Kayla thought looked like some advanced cousin of the VHS player, and clicked an icon on the computer. A program began to run. A line ran horizontally across the screen; in the top half of the screen played an episode from the first season of the series Digimon: Digital Monsters, while in the bottom half of the screen was showing a matrix-like coding. Comprehension now dawned on the two girls.

“So you had to review that,” Emma pointed at the bottom half of the computer monitor, “and look for anything funny?”

“Right,” said Piyomon. “It turns out Grey Lord wanted me to look for a sequence in the coding that would help us find a way to get you two here, as well as send you your digivices.”

Things were finally starting to make some sense.

“And you really found a way to contact the real world by watching old tapes of a fictional cartoon series,” Emma asked almost unbelievingly.

“I was skeptical at first too...but amazingly enough we...,” she suddenly paused mid-sentenced and snapped her attention to the small table in the corner looking hawk eyed. The girls turned and looked in the same direction but couldn’t find what had caught the bird’s attention. A few moments silence passed and then...“I know you’re there! Don’t try pretending you’re not! I know you’ve been spying on me!”

The two friends exchanged curious looks then returned to gazing at the small cluttered table waiting for something to happen. But again there was silence. Without warning Piyomon launched herself under the table sending the stacks of tapes on the floor and on the table to cascade onto the floor like an avalanche of black plastic. The moment she did so something streaked out from under the table so fast it looked nothing more than a grey blur and dived into another one of the junk cluttered corners in the room. Without falter Piyomon chased after the blur and herself dived into the pile of junk. Again the grey blur fled from its previous hiding spot to another. It continued like this for several minutes, with the girls squeezing together against the door to stay out of the line of fire. Finally, and not soon enough as far as Emma and Kayla were concerned, Piyomon had the grey blur cornered as there was no where else to hide. It made malevolent hissing type noises at Piyomon, but stopped when the two girls approached.

“Hey, it’s a Gazimon,” Kayla said to her friend. Emma nodded.

“Finally I’ve got you,” Piyomon yelled scathingly at the Gazimon. “Now tell me why you’re in here!”

The Gazimon said nothing but merely gazed unblinkingly at the shorter human.
“Well,” Piyomon demanded, “Are you going to answer me?”

Gazimon looked at the Piyomon, then back at the girl. Then making what looked like another attempt to escape he ran...but not for the now unguarded door but for Kayla’s leg, and he clung to it like a small child clings to their parent’s leg. Instead of trying to kick him off like Emma half expected her to do, she stayed calm and looked at the Gazimon with an air of comprehension.

“It was you in the back yard,” she stated. Emma had a second of confusion followed by an instant understanding.

“Wait, you were the little punk that tried to electrocute me, weren’t you,” she yelled suddenly angry.

“I thought you were trying to attack her,” said the Gazimon, obviously indicating Kayla.

“I wasn’t attacking her! I was trying to pull her away because I thought YOU were trying to attack her!”

Not giving Gazimon a chance to answer, Piyomon continued her interrogation. “Why have you been spying on me?”

He took one more glance up at Kayla before answering. “Because I was trying to find out how to get to the real world, and I knew you were helping Grey Lord find a way.”

“And why were y –,”she paused, “you!...,” she said accusingly, leaning towards him. “You were the one who started the unauthorized data transfer.”

“I had to,” Gazimon said after a long pause.

“Oh, really?” If Piyomon had eyebrows they would have been raised. “And why was that?”

“I had to find her,” and again it was apparent he meant Kayla. The expression on Piyomon’s face did a complete 180.

“Wait...that would mean...you’re her partner.”

“I thought that would be obvious by now,” replied Gazimon with a bit of a snarky quality to his voice. Piyomon was deemed speechless for several moments, apparently thinking things through in her head.

“Well if you knew you were a partnered digimon why didn’t you just tell us instead of spying on me for a month?”

“Because I didn’t know at first, same as you. I just had this overwhelming urge to go to the real world because I was searching for something.”
Piyomon appeared dumbstruck by this latest comment, her beak hanging open just slightly. At that moment the door opened and Grey Lord entered. He observed the scene in front of him and upon seeing the Gazimon clinging tightly to Kayla’s leg said:

“I take it you’ve found your partner digimon.”

~~~

Author’s Note:

First of all, thanks to the few people that reviewed. It means a lot to me, you have no idea. I honestly thought no one would read this thing. It’s already chapter 8 and the story only seems to be getting started. Next chapter however introduces a couple new characters including the villain. This story will get rolling soon, bear with me. I guess that’s all I have to say for now. Again thanks for reading.