Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Temporary Family ❯ Temporary Family ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Happy Thanksgiving, people! I’m taking a short break from my next story to write this one. It’s pretty short, and it only contains a few characters, so this will turn out to be a drabble. This story takes place on Thanksgiving Eve by the way. Happy Thanksgiving!


Disclaimer: I don’t own digimon, otherwise I’d be rich.





Temporary Family




It was Thanksgiving Eve. Everyone was preparing for tomorrow, when family and friends would come down and eat all sorts of goodies. This was one of the favorite times for the digidestined, especially for a select few such as Davis and Yolei, because this meant they could eat until their hearts’ content. TK and Matt, whose parents finally got back together with help from Tyler, were spending a family holiday at their grandma’s house. Yolei and her family went to her aunt’s house in Nagano for their gathering. Tai, Kari, and their parents went to Nihon-Bashi. Mimi, of course, was in America, enjoying the fine foods there. Sora and her mother went to her cousin Sara’s house in Kyoto. Joe, along with his brother Shuu, went with their parents to his grandfather’s house near Tokyo. Izzy and Ken, whose parents turned out to be college friends, took a trip to Florida, and Cody stayed with his mother and grandfather at his uncle’s house. Davis and Jun stayed home with their parents, since they didn’t have any other part of their families living close to them. The only one that didn’t have any family, aside from his digimon, was Tyler. His mom was dead, and his dad was kicked out of the country, so he was alone. Not that it bothered him, not too much anyway. He was used to being alone. He stood outside his door, watching the hustle and bustle of people as they prepared for Thanksgiving. He waved to his neighbors as they went into their apartment.
“Well, Smilomon,” he said, looking down at his digimon partner. “Looks like another holiday with ourselves.”
“Let’s not count it as a loss,” said the silver reptilian creature. “At least we each have someone to spend it with.”
“Don’t worry, I’m not.” He scooped up Smilomon and carried him inside. “So what do you want for Thanksgiving?”
************************************************** ********************************
“Well, another Thanksgiving time with our immediate family,” Jun said. “Not that I’m complaining.”
“Hey, lighten up,” said Davis. “The best thing about this is no school!”
“Davis, that’s a given for you. Besides, it’s only for a week.”
“Doesn’t matter. I’m not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. I think no school is the best part on any occasion, no matter how long it is.”
“Figures.”
“Well, I think the best part about Thanksgiving is the food!” Demiveemon said from atop Davis’ head.
“Demiveemon, all you think about is food,” Davis said, looking up at him.
“Davis, you eat just about as much as Demiveemon,” Jun said, chuckling. This cost her as a pillow from Davis’ bed found its way to her face, which she only laughed at more.
“Hey, Davis, where’s everyone else?” asked Demiveemon. “Why can’t we have Thanksgiving with them, too?”
“As far as I know, they’re all out of town visiting family,” Davis answered. “Matt and TK are at their grandma’s house with their parents, Yolei’s in Nagano, Tai and Kari are in Nihon-Bashi, Izzy and Ken are in Florida, and Cody’s at his uncle’s house.”
“What about Tyler?”
“Oh yeah, I hadn’t thought about him.”
“Doesn’t he have family here?” Jun asked.
“No,” Davis said. “Not immediate family anyway. His mom’s dead and his dad’s not in the country anymore.”
“That must be harsh. So he’s spending Thanksgiving by himself?”
“He pretty much spends every holiday by himself, unless he has Smilomon there to keep him company.”
“Oh.” Jun thought for a second. “How about we invite him to spend Thanksgiving with us? We could be like a temporary family! What’s more, we may be able to convince him to spend the night tonight.”
“Ask him to bring Smilomon with him too!” Demiveemon chimed in. “Then I can have someone to play with.”
“What about mom and dad?” asked Davis. “Do you think they will approve?”
“Why wouldn’t they?” Jun said. “They already met him on a small occasion, so I’m sure they wouldn’t mind. Besides, they’ll get a chance to find out more about him.”
Davis thought about it for a second. “Sure,” he said, looking at his sister. “Let’s give it a try.” They walked out of Davis’ room into the living room where their parents were.
***************************************************************** *******************
“Well, we have enough food here to last us until next Thanksgiving,” Tyler said, looking in the cabinets at the stock of food there.
“Don’t forget the food in the training room as well,” Smilomon said. “If we add that, then we have enough to last two more holidays.”
Tyler laughed at that. “That’s true,” he said. He grabbed a can of stuffing from the cabinet and studied it. “Stuffed turkey, or no stuffed turkey?” he asked, turning to Smilomon.
“Stuffed,” Smilomon said.
“My sediments exactly,” Tyler said, setting the can on the counter. Just then, the phone rang.
“Don’t tell me someone’s ordering tea at this time,” Tyler said to himself as he walked over to the phone. “Jones’ Tea Service, may I help you?”
*Tyler, what’s going on?*
“How are you, Davis.”
*I’m doing great! Say, what are you doing right now?*
“I’m preparing for tomorrow evening.”
*Are you going to be by yourself for Thanksgiving?*
“No, I’ll have Smilomon with me. We’ll be spending Thanksgiving here.”
*Not this time.*
“Really? Why not?”
*Because the both of you are coming here!* a shrill voice that had a slight lisp on it shouted in the phone. Tyler pulled the receiver away from his ear before any damage to his eardrums could be done.
*Demiveemon, I was just about to say that!* Davis said, getting back on the phone. *Anyway, it’s just like he said, you guys are spending Thanksgiving with us.*
“Did your parents approve?” Tyler asked.
*Yeah. Me and Jun just talked to them, and they said it was alright. Bring some clothes too, because you’re staying overnight.*
“You asked them if we can do that too?” Tyler asked incredulously.
*Yep. We’re getting the guest bed made right now. So hurry and make your way over here.*
“Uh, okay. We’ll see you guys there. And thanks.”
*No problem. We’ll see you guys shortly.*
“Alright, see you.” Tyler hung up the phone and turned to Smilomon.
“Well, looks like we’ll have to cancel Thanksgiving here,” he said, walking back into the kitchen and putting up the can of stuffing.
“Where are we going?” Smilomon asked.
“Davis and his family asked us to come over and have Thanksgiving with them. I’ll have to bring some extra clothes as well, since they want us to spend the night tonight.”
“How nice of them.”
“Considering that they’re the only ones out of everyone else that doesn’t have any other family close to them to spend this holiday with, I guess it wouldn’t hurt them to have someone else there.”
“Hey, the more the merrier.”
“That’s true,” said Tyler, heading to his room with Smilomon right behind him. “Anyway, let’s pack and be on our way.”
*********************************************************** **************************
“I’ll get it!” Davis called as a knock sounded at the front door. He opened it to see Tyler standing there with a half smile on his face, and Smilomon sitting on his shoulder.
“Hey, glad to see you made it,” he said, ushering Tyler in. “Come on in.”
“Thank you,” said Tyler. “You guys really didn’t have to do this.”
“Well, we didn’t want you to spend a holiday by yourself this year. We wanted you and Smilomon to be around some family.”
“We’re not even related,” Tyler said, smirking.
“Just think of us as a temporary family, then,” Davis said, grinning.
“Smilomon!” Demiveemon called, coming into the living room followed by Jun.
“Hey, Demivee,” Smilomon said, hopping off of Tyler’s shoulder and greeting his digimon friend.
“How are you, Tyler,” Jun greeted Tyler, giving him a small hug.
“I’m doing great,” said Tyler. “Thanks again for having me here. I hope we won’t be a burden to you.”
“Not at all. We’re glad to have you here,” said the kids’ mom as she came into the living room from the kitchen.
“Besides, no one should be alone this time of year,” said their dad, coming from the guest bedroom.
“Mr. And Mrs. Motomiya,” Tyler said, bowing to them. “It’s a pleasure to meet you again.”
“No need to be formal,” Mr. Motomiya said with a laugh. He walked over to Tyler and took his bag. “Come on, I’ll show you to your room.”

That evening, Jun, Davis, and Tyler, along with their digimon, sat in Davis’ room talking and joking with one another. Jun and Davis were glad to have him and Smilomon around. Not only did Smilomon keep Demiveemon occupied (they both tended to rant on the same subject about everything), but they found out that Tyler really does have a sense of humor. Mr. Motomiya took a liking to the twenty year old, noticing how well matured he was. Tyler stated that he was kind of forced to grow up that way.
“So there’s no family anywhere near you?” Mrs. Motomiya asked Tyler at dinner.
“None that I know of,” Tyler answered. “Whatever family I have must be in the country. That’s where I grew up before coming here.”
“I don’t mean to pride in your personal life, but was your dad a good man?” Mr. Motomiya asked.
“It’s okay. He was actually a great father, and a great husband to my mom. When she died, things kind of took a turn for the worst. To make a long story short, my so-called step mom managed to get my dad kicked out of the country while I was at summer camp. She didn’t tell the authorities about me, so I ended up having to survive on my own.”
“I’m sorry,” said Mr. Motomiya apologetically. “I didn’t mean to-”
“No need to apologize,” Tyler said, dismissing the apology. “I managed to deal with it as best I could. I’m making a living for myself selling tea.”
“Really? What type?”
“Various combinations. I utilize my martial arts training to come up with new ideas for different types of tea. It’s pretty complicated.”
“I can imagine,” said Mrs. Motomiya. “Well, just know that you’re always welcome as part of our family.”
“Thank you, ma’am,” Tyler said, sincerely.
“Maybe you can be more than just part of our family,” Mr. Motomiya said with a grin. “Jun just turned eighteen last month.”
“DAD!” Jun cried, blushing madly. Davis, Mrs. Motomiya, and the digimon burst out laughing.
“What? She’s old enough!” Mr. Motomiya said with a shrug.
“DAD, STOP IT!” Jun was blushing to the point that her face was redder than Davis’s hair.
“Uh, that’s okay,” Tyler said with a nervous chuckle. “I don’t see myself getting married anytime soon.”
“Why not?” Mr. Motomiya asked.
“Well, for starters, I’m only twenty. In my eyes, that’s a bit too young of an age to be married. In any case, no offense, but I only go for women that are in my age bracket.”
“Which is?”
“Will you stop asking him unnecessary questions?” Mrs. Motomiya scolded her husband. “It’s not your business to know things like that! Plus, you’re embarrassing him.”
Everyone laughed some more. Tyler decided that he’d rather liked the Motomiyas. They were pretty much a rambunctious bunch, and he now saw where Davis got his personality. He wondered why he didn’t take the time to get to know them more sooner.

That night, as they readied for bed, Davis and Tyler were in the bathroom brushing their teeth and discussing tomorrow’s events.
“What’s your favorite thing about Thanksgiving?” Davis asked Tyler.
“I don’t know,” Tyler replied. “I never really sat down and thought about it. I venture to guess yours has to do with no school?”
“How did you know?” Davis asked, leveling a fake glare at him. “Did you read my mind?”
“Davis, anyone in their right mind can read you like an open book. When it comes to holidays, you’re known for jumping off the walls because there’s no school.”
“Hey, like I told Jun. I’m not looking a gift horse in the mouth. Some of the classes in school I can deal with, and a lot are like *ick*!” He emphasized the last part of his statement with a grimace.
“Well Davis,” Tyler said, cleaning his toothbrush and putting it back into his bag. “The only thing I can say is that you have to bowl through it. If you ever want to achieve your goal of selling noodles, then you’ll just have to endure those icky classes you so hate.”
“…I suppose you’re right,” Davis said, gathering his hygiene stuff. “I’d better go to bed before I conk out talking to you.”
“What’s the matter, can’t hang?” Tyler asked, smiling. Davis looked at him and smiled back.
“We’ll see you tomorrow, Tyler,” Davis said, heading off to his room.
“See you,” Tyler said as he turned off the bathroom light and walked to his bedroom, where Smilomon was already sleep next to the bed. He changed into his pajamas and hopped into bed, and lay there staring at the ceiling while thinking about today’s events. First he and Smilomon were going to have Thanksgiving by themselves, and now their in a guest bedroom of the Motomiyas’ home. Tyler smiled as two words, spoken by Davis, came into his head.
‘Temporary family,’ he thought to himself. ‘I wonder what it’s like.’ With that, he rolled over and went to sleep.



Told you this was pretty short. Anyway, I hope you enjoy it.