Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ The Cave of Wonders ❯ Cave of Wonders ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Seiko stood there, effectively hidden between the shelves of fresh French
bread and the soft green metal of the wine rack as she watched Takato help
the small line of customers that had formed over the past several minutes.
The young man never seemed to loose his helpful smile, even as one couple
that kept changing heir mind on what they wanted.

But as she stood there, Seiko reminded herself as to her mission: Rika was
pregnant, and Takato was the father. Sometime in the past few weeks the pair
had changed from fighters on the same team to lovers, and the life Rika now
carried within was proof of that change.

So now she was here, in the Matsuda bakery, to confront the young man
behind the counter and find out what happened between him and her
granddaughter. Only after the last customer departed would the troubled grandmother would step forward and get the answers she desired.

Takato sighed as the mad rush finally seemed to end, glad for a few
moments peace and quiet. That moment was shattered when a troublesome shelf
in the case before him decided to snap it's corner support and dump half a
mornings work onto the fragile rack of pastries below.

"Oh, crap!" muttered the Tamer as he opened the back sliding door and dove
inside, determined to save the hard work of his parents efforts. Thus
involved, Takato failed to notice the approach of one particularly determined
grandmother.

Seiko stood there for a long moment, not wanting to bother the young man as
he was obviously busy trying to fix the shelf so she waited patiently for
him a stopping point, only shifting once as her foot threatened to fall
asleep.

A hint of motion caught Takato's attention as he glanced out the front of
the case but unable to see more than a pair of women's pants and a black
handbag. Torn between keeping the customer happy and fixing the shelf the
young man decided to attempt both. "I'll be with you in just a second
ma'am..." he said, though his voice was somewhat muffled by the glass
between the two. "What can I get for you...?"

Seiko leaned over, careful to keep her voice low as this was between
her and Takato; telling his parents was to be Takato's duty, not hers. It
was with measured caution she gave the young man her reply.

"An explanation as to why my granddaughter is pregnant would be a good
place to start."

A loud THUD vibrated through the case as the back of Takato's skull
impacted against the sliding glass rails, caught completely off guard by the
request from the woman. Rubbing the back of his injured noggin the Tamer
stood up in disbelief as Seiko Hata stood there, arms crossed as she awaited
her answer.

** Oh God...Oh God...Oh God...** the young man chanted to himself over and
over, wishing he had heard wrong. But such was not the case; it was clear
that Rika's grandmother knew of her condition, and it was time to face the
music.

******************
The air shimmered slightly as Renamon phased into existence, her paws gracefully touching down upon the soft earth near the Koi pond.

The house and grounds were quiet; as mid-mornings usually were around the Nonaka household. As she paused to take in the sweet smell of blooming flowers, new memories created over the past few hours began to drift across her mind. It was then a small fish splashed in the pond, breaking her out of her thoughts and drew attention there as she knelt down. The ripples distorted the surface for a moment before the resuming its shimmering smoothness. But as she rested, her inner thoughts at the night before continued to nudge the back of her minds' eye.

*I look the same, but why do I feel so...different... inside...?* mused the fox as she leaned down, her right paw gliding over the water as she traced her outline into the cool liquid.

*Could it be that one kiss...from a human...is making me feel this way??*

It had happened innocently enough; another late night meeting-same as the dozen before- as Henry again offered his services as a sounding board for Renamon's concerns over Rika's ever-changing emotions. Ever since the...incident...with Takato in the park, the Digimon had been concerned for her partner's health. But a pregnant human was simply more than she could figure out on her own; mood swings with no warning were bad enough, but to see Rika crying without reason on the edge of her bed was enough to send the Digimon out for help. It was then she finally confided in Henry, and together they worked to help Renamon find her place in Rika's new life.

It was only when the tree branch they were resting upon broke did that particular meeting become unique. Only after a fraction of a second passed as the Digimon reached for the human to phase them safely to the ground.

*Don't worry Renamon, I've got you!* called out Henry's voice as his arms wrapped tightly around the Digimon, moving on pure instinct as he positioned himself to take the brunt of the impact on the ground below.

Renamon's arms wrapped around herself as she could still feel the protective embrace of Henry's noble gesture, her mind replaying the impact with the ground as Henry cried out in pain.

**Henry! Are you okay?!** was the first words out of the Digimon's mouth as she regained her bearings, looking down only to find the Tamer in tearful agony as wet, salty trails ran down his cheeks. Unable to catch his breath to respond verbally, the human nodded as his body slowly started to recover from the fall.

*I'll go get Dr. Mizuno! Stay here and I'll...* began Renamon, but the sudden tightness of Henry's hands around her upper arms gave pause to her words. Looking down, she saw the young man shake his head at her offer, his lips moving only slightly as he managed to get out a whispered 'Are you okay?'.

Renamon could only lie there, shocked to the core as Henry, stunned and possibly injured, cared more for her than himself.

It was all she could do to nod in reply.

A smile crossed Henry's lips as he seemed to relax at the thought his friend was unharmed. His grip relaxed, and for the next several minutes simply held onto her gently as if trying to reassure her he was okay. As each held the other, Renamon found herself looking.../really/ looking... into the young man's violet-tinted eyes. Even immersed by unshed tears, they still shimmered in a way Renamon had never noticed before until now. In all of her long life, the Digimon had seen every kind of anger and hatred reflected in the eyes of her opponents, but never before had she seen such depths of compassion and honesty.

It was then she found herself nose to nose with the Tamer, both sets of eyes locked onto the other, unable to turn away. Renamon felt her paw move on it's own accord, brushing the few remaining tears away as--for a reason she could not yet fathom--seeing Henry cry cut her to the core. The soft feel of Henry's hand upon her own cheek made the Digimon lightly gasp for breath; the gentle motions drawing her closer to the young man as now they were only inches apart.

In the months and years to come, neither could recall which one-if either-actually took the next step first. But no matter who found the courage first, the results would last a lifetime.

And, there, under the moonlight sky, Henry and Renamom kissed sharing with the other feelings they could not explain to themselves, let alone each other.

At least, not yet.

The sound of a distant car horn shattered Renamon's concentration and once again she found herself at the Koi pond, now under careful observation by one of the larger inhabitants. For a moment the two beings stared at each other until the fish, deciding more exciting things could be found elsewhere, 'plopped' and disappeared from sight. Once again, Renamon was alone with her thoughts Henry, the kiss they shared, and what it all meant.

However, the Digimon's stomach, apparently tired of being ignored, made its presence known by rumbling for some food. Tinting slightly at the noise, Renamon stood and moved her concerns about Henry to the back burner of her mind in favor of some delicious cooking that awaited her attention inside.

With a few measured steps Renamon slipped inside. With Rika being at a private school-- the district-wide teachers work day didn't apply to her--so she was in school like normal. And with Rumiko still on a photo shoot in London, the house was empty for most of the day save for Rika's grandmother.

A small smile played across Renamon's lips as she was still having trouble calling the elder woman anything other than 'Ms. Hato' or 'ma'am'. The woman wanted the Digimon to be a bit less formal; even to the point of calling her 'grandmother' since-according to Seiko-she was as close to Rika as any flesh and blood sister could be. While honored by the important position, it would be at least several months before she could call her something so casual as 'Grandmother.".

Speaking of which...

Looking around, Renamon noticed that Seiko was gone as well; apparently to her computer club or some other such errand. The rows in the carpet indicated the floor was freshly vacuumed; the soft fabric felt good under her paws as she went into the kitchen. A bowl of beef flavored rice was quickly fixed and Renamon decided to eat outside by the pond. .No sooner than she had taken a few steps her senses kick in, warning her that /something/ was wrong.

Quickly looking about, the Digimon saw nothing that posed a threat until she noticed Rika's door was ajar. Knowing that her partner always closed the door (a holdover habit when she had to hide her occupation as a Tamer) a slightly opened entryway might mean a burglar was in the home. Setting the food aside, the fox focused, then phased into Rika's room quickly, determined to surprise anyone foolish enough to threaten the home or those who lived inside.

With paws raised and energy ready to unleash, Renamon materialized to find....nothing.

It was only after a tense moment did the Digimon understand why the door was opened; Seiko decided to clean in here instead of letting her granddaughter do as was normally preferred Renamom was about to relax when something out of place caught her eye: an large part of floor remained untouched by Seiko's efforts.

Looking around, the tracks in the carpet covered the far side of the bed and around the baseboard, but stopped almost exactly where she was standing right beside the desk Rika used for schoolwork. But in front of her was a good 5 ft patch of carpet left untouched, something the elder woman would never do.

Unless...

Suddenly fearful that something might have happened to Rika which required Seiko to leave abruptly, Renamon turned to look for a clue...a note...any indication that might explain such an inconsistency. It was then her tail lightly brushed against the desk leg, causing the hidden book to fall for the second time this morning.

The soft 'thud' of the book hitting the carpet caught the Digimon's attention and she bent over, picking up the dog-eared volume. While familiar with the contents as she and Rika had looked at it a few times together, Renamon could not recall it falling so easy from it's hiding place as Rika picked that very spot so it would remain securely hidden. For it to fall so easily...

Renamon blinked as Seiko's scent-a scent that didn't belong on this book- seemed to linger on the covers as if she had been holding it for some time. But...that wasn't possible....

Unless....

The Digimon felt a lump in her throat as the pieces fell into place; the vacuum tracks that stopped at the desk, the ease of which the book fell, and the scent of Seiko on a book she was to never know about. It all could only mean one thing...

Seiko knew Rika was pregnant.

"By the Sovereigns ..." she muttered, knowing that Rika was unprepared for such an encounter. The Tamer had barely accepted the fact that she was with child; telling her mother or grandmother was a battle she was still unwilling to face at the moment. "But it looks like the battle was chosen for us Rika...?" muttered Renamon as she put the book back into its hiding place.

The Digimon closed her eyes; she had to do /something/. But what?

Knowing that Seiko could be anywhere, Renamon felt herself torn on what to do. Did she go warn Rika, or try to find Seiko first? The war within raged for a long moment before the Digimon decided that Rika had to know about the discovery first. That would give her Tamer time to find the words to say to her grandmother.

But she had to reach Rika first before Seiko did.

With all thought of food and Henry pushed aside, Renamon phased out of existence and into the treetops that lined the roadway. Leaping and phasing from one to the other, the fox headed for her Tamer's school praying she could reach Rika in time .
The wind whistled by her ears as she sped through the trees, yellow and white fur blending in and out of the foliage with a blur. Only minutes had passed since Renamon discovered evidence that suggested Seiko knew of Rika's pregnancy, but each tick of the clock felt like an eternity as the Digimon pushed her shadow phasing powers to the limit.
She had to reach Rika first.

**Rika is not ready for this!** thought the Digimon as she halted at an intersection, needing--but not wanting-to pause and catch her breath. Hidden in the trees, she watched the traffic pass below, the motorists unaware of the unique life form resting just meters above them.

Slowly the fox caught her breath, using the time to try and figure out the best course of action.

**I know Rika is strong, but if her grandmother confronts her about this now....** thought the Digimon as she shook her head at how potentially upsetting such a conflict would be. While Renamon respected Seiko Hana for her insight and understanding, she had also seen how human mothers worry over their young and could only assume with grandmothers it would be exponentially worse. The Digimon knew that Rika was still having troubles accepting her impending motherhood, and now was /not/ the time for a battle within the family. Her Tamer needed to be at peace with herself before confronting her family with the news.

For a second--one brief, intense moment bubble of hatred filled her heart for Takato Matsuda. After all, it was his actions that put Rika in her current state. In anger, her claws dug deeply into her palm before the Digimon caught herself and reigned her emotions into check.

**NO!** she shouted at herself for giving into such feelings. *Takato did not mean for this to happen and I will /not/ take matters into my own hands again!** It was then the Digimon felt a shiver run down her spine, the memory of Takato's neck wrapped within her claws feeling as real to her as the sun upon her back. The rage she had been trying to excise that night still called to her; demanding her she take revenge on who had hurt Rika. But then, the image of Rika's face that night in the park--full of both terror and love--overwhelmed Renamon's anger and brought her back from the brink.

"No...Rika loves Takato! I now know that to be true beyond all else! I will not let my emotions rule me, or I could lose Rika forever..." she muttered quietly to herself.

Over the next few minutes the Digimon's breathing evened out, the echo of hatred fading back into the hidden corners of her soul. As her paw unclenched, Renamon found herself at a kind of fragile peace. She was still upset with Takato; but the boy had made it clear his love for Rika was as true as could be. Rika's own confessions of love for the boy proved that her partner thought about her first lover in a most special way.

*I can not change what has happened; nor can the child's coming be stopped. Since the beginning and end can not be altered, I will help you along this path Rika, no matter who stands in my way!* Renamon whispered to herself, vowing to make Rika's trip into motherhood as painless as possible.

It was then the lack of background noise caught Renamon's attention. Clearing all other thoughts from her mind, Renamon focused her efforts once more on reaching Rika in time. With a graceful leap over the nearly-deserted intersection, the fox landed within the safe confines of a beautiful cherry blossom tree. After making sure she had not been spotted, the Digimon once more began to leap from tree to tree along the lined sidewalk as her race to reach Rika began anew.

Over the next few minutes the landscape blurred under the Digimon until at long last her target slowly came into sight. Tapping deep into her energy reserves, Renamon pushed the rest of the way in one powerful shift and vanished from sight.

"And as you can see, if we multiply the length of any two sides we get.....what? Any ideas class?" asked Professor Lethbridge-Stewert, his eyes gazing out over the gathered teens.

*Bored?* answered Rika as she glanced at the clock for what felt like the fifth time in as many seconds. The morning was dragging beyond belief, and all she wanted to do was get out of the class from hell and grab something from the vending machine. **I wish I hadn't skipped breakfast now...** she admitted, trying hard to ignore the empty feeling gnawing at her gut.

A small flock of birds landed outside upon the sun drenched grass, drawing Rika's attention to the freedom that lay right beyond the glass and metal prison she found herself currently inhabiting. Suddenly the flock spooked, flying off at a frantic pace as a large cloud blanketed the room with shades of gray.

With the impact of a freight train, an all-to-familiar tingle ran down Rika's spine, forcing her to jerk around and peered at a distant corner still shrouded by inky blackness. To anyone else it was just an empty mix of shadow and space, but to Rika it was clear that within those hidden depths she had company.

"Something wrong Miss Nonaka, or would you care to answer this problem for the class...?" asked the former Brigadier as he fixed the student with a gaze that--in years gone by-- held many a foe at bay. Despite being nearly 80, the former commander of a United Nations Intelligence Task force still carried himself with a air of authority that few could match. But the days of high adventures and galactic intrigue were long behind him as the quiet, studious life of a teacher now filled his days.

**DAMM!** cursed herself for being so blatant as she turned her head back to face her professor. "I...uhm...I..actually Sir I need to be excused...." she quickly replied, unable to come up with anything more creative.

Resisting the urge to sigh, Lethbridge-Stewert looked at the teen. **Do these girls have no bladder control at all??** he mused, not for the first time, at the inherent differences between males and females and /why/ couldn't these girls simply hold it until class was over? "Class will be finished in about 10 minutes Miss Nonaka. You may go then.." he replied as he turned back to the blackboard, determined more than ever to finish one lesson plan without half his class being gone to the bathroom for most of the time!

Rika frowned, her fists clenching as she needed to get someplace private to talk to her partner! *Renamon wouldn't be here if something wasn't wrong!* She had to get out of class..now!

Then, as with so many things, necessity proved to indeed be the mother of invention as a brilliantly perfect blossomed in her mind. With a sly grin that none of the others could see, Rika raised her hand and called out..."Uhm...Professor Stewert...?" she asked, sounding as polite as possible..."but I'm in the middle of my period and I need to go fix my pad. May I please be excused?"

Deafening silence filled the room as the entire class of young women turned and looked at Rika. Lethbridge-Stewert paused in mid-equation, beyond shocked. Turning, he rocked slightly on his heels for a moment, meeting her gaze evenly. "I see..." is all he commented on out loud as he resigned himself to try again another day as he had no right to deny her time to..adjust..herself. "Then take care of you needs, Miss Nonaka. You are excused...".

With a nod of thanks, Rika left with mixed feelings. *That worked, but I know that little 'trick' is going to be all around school by last period.....* she thought, suddenly wincing at the mental pun she just inadvertently created.

Shaking off the urge to groan and ignoring the several 'thumbs up' given by her classmates, Rika paused as she glanced at the now empty darkened corner. Projecting a calm exterior while fighting to keep her fears in check, the Tamer strode into the hallway and down towards the rest room, only pausing to open the door. Slipping inside, Rika hoped and prayed that her everyone was she cared for was okay.

A few minutes later after Renamon fully explained the situation with Seiko and what conclusions the grandmother must have come to by now, Rika silently fumed for a long moment. Then, in a moment of eloquence, the young Tamer summed up this most recent turn of events in the most fitting way possible.

"Aw...FUCK!!"

******************
The outside world vanished for Takato, every sense now focused inward as his fragile universe collapsed in on itself. The Tamer gasped deeply for air, trying to steady his jumbled thoughts as his nightmares about this moment came true at once. It was only through some dire need to avoid attracting his parents attention that gave him the willpower to keep from fainting right there.

"I can't..not here..not now..!" he begged softly, looking at the woman with an expression that bordered on terror.

Seiko stood there for a moment, not sure if this was some well-crafted ploy at delaying the truth or if it was something else altogether. "Takato..." she began quietly, meeting the teen's gaze firmly. "I have a right to know, and your parents will find out sooner or later. You should stop this and accept the fact that...".

"No!" he pleaded, the shift in his eyes from terror to panic caught Seiko totally off guard and the tremble in his voice shook her to the core. "I can't...!" he urgently pleaded..."not here. Please!".

"Takato....".

The fear in his voice was almost a physical entity itself as his gaze saddened. "Please...you don't understand! If they find out...they'll take away...they won't love me anymore...!"

Had it not been for the look in the boy's eyes, Seiko would have thought he was kidding. No matter how chaotic the world was, one constant remained the same; a parent would always love their child no matter what. With her own life experiences giving the unique clarity of hindsight, she knew how foolish Takato's thought was. **But, he doesn't have those experiences yet, does he..?** Seiko mentally asked herself as she watched the boy for a long moment. To him, the fear of losing his parents love was as real and tangible as the counter he now gripped with white-hued knuckles.



Catching the teen off guard, the woman suddenly stepped forward towards him. But rather than a scolding or derisive laugh, Takato was shocked when she wrapped her own hands around his as if to lend him her strength. Squeezing his fingers gently she helped pry them from the edges of the counter as a softly whispered 'It's okay Takato...I understand..." crossed the distance between them. "Not here...not now." she conceded as hints of color finally drained back into Takato's face. "But soon..." she added, making it clear that while she understood his fears they would not be more important than her concern for Rika.

The teen regarded the woman, not sure what-- if anything-- to say. Another full minute passed before he could find his voice. "T..thanks Ms. Hata..." politely replied the young boy as he squeezed her hands lightly in return. "But you...I should...I /need/ to talk to someone Ma'am. There's so much...I just can't....." stammered the Tamer carefully as it was clear he had questions that badly needed answers.

Seiko stood there, watching as Takato tried to do the right thing despite his innate fears, and felt that perhaps she had underestimated the boy. With a nod of her head, she gave the teen a soft smile. "Then today, 4 P.M. at O'Grady's, that little bistro a few blocks over?" she instructed. "I am meeting my computer club there at 3 and we will be done before you arrive. Will that be okay?"

Blinking, Takato nodded, knowing the place quite well as he made deliveries there often. A small bubble of fear surfaced in his mind as he could be recognized there and it could get back to his parents. But as he saw the stern look on Seiko's face he realized that couldn't concern him now; she had given him a reprieve from facing his parents and there were questions he had to ask. **Besides, I'm sick of not knowing! I'm gonna be a dad, and I have /got/ to start learning what to do!....** he reminded himself.

"Takato, is everything all right out there?" came his mom's voice from the kitchen as the woman checked again...for the 12th time that morning....to make sure her son was doing okay behind the counter.

Grateful beyond measure that her hands were probably buried in dough up to the elbows, Takato called back..."Just fine mom! Trying to fix this stubborn rack is all....!" he said, trying to avoid lying and that wasn't one... exactly.

"We're almost done son.." called his father as the elder man of the family put the final delicate touches on a few special order pastries. "I'll be out in a few minutes to take over..".

"Okay dad. Thanks!" he called back, looking at Seiko with a slightly confused look as the young man wasn't quite sure what he should...or shouldn't do...next. "I..uhm..guess...I'll see you...around 4 then ma'am?"

Seiko patted his hand before pulling her own away, nodding in agreement. "I will see you then Takato" she replied before turning and walking towards the door. "Oh..Takato...?.." she quietly called before grasping the handle.

The Tamer looked up, feeling the blood freeze in his veins for a moment. "Uhm...yes ma'am...?"

"Don't be late." she 'suggested'.

With a nod, Takato made it clear he /fully/ understood what was expected of him.

Now satisfied that the teen was taking the situation with all the seriousness it deserved, Seiko opened the door. But before she stepped out into the late morning sun, she paused.

"Do you love her?"

The question hung there for several long seconds as Takato tried to find a way to explain what he felt for the young woman. "I know...I know I love her with all my heart, and I would die for her without a moments hesitation." he replied, the conviction and honestly in his voice beyond reproach.

Seiko blinked, not quite expecting that as a reply. But as a hidden smile slowly began to cross her lips she nodded in approval of the answer. "Good..." she replied before opening the door and stepping back onto the concrete sidewalk, leaving Takato alone with his thoughts.

As the time ticked by, Takato felt more and more unease at the impending meeting. He knew that what was said and done over the next few hours could change /everything/ about his relationship to Rika and how he was viewed by Seiko.

*You can't mess this up Takato!* the teen mentally reminded himself as he fixed his hair for the final time. *Everything is counting on me not screwing up, and I don't get a second chance to make things right! Rika and the baby are counting on me and I will /never/ let them down! I promised Rika and I'm going to keep my word!*

With a slightly surprising surge of confidence, the teen grabbed the small spiral notebook that contained all his ammunition to show Seiko how serious he was taking his responsibility and tucked it under his shirt out of sight before jogging down the stairs. Calling back to his parents that he was headed out for a while, the teen wasted no time in darting around the back of the bakery. Picking up his Sunday best suit that had been secretly wrapped in a plastic bag and lowered by a rope out his window minutes earlier, the Tamer took off full for speed for Henry's, needing a safe place to change.

*Don't worry Rika! I promised I would be there for you, and I'm going to show your Grandmother how much I love you no matter what it takes!** he thought as every tick of the clock brought him closer to his moment of truth...

To Be Continued....