Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ The War to End All Wars ❯ The Visit ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]


These are the chronicles of the War to End Wars. One to whom the stories were told has catalogued these accounts. Every fact is true, every word spoken was actually spoken, no account was exaggerated or lavished with untruth. These are the words directly from the mouths of those who lived them. The Chronicles of the War to End Wars, written by Fontil Trigon.


Prince Taichi Kamiya of Fere stood on the battle ramparts of his families' castle. He looked out toward the setting sun. This day had been filled with possibilities, both for him and his fiancé, Princess Sora Takenouchi. Both their parents had agreed to this marriage, and, amazingly, they had decided they wanted to get married, and it wasn't some political decision.
Unfortunately, there was no peace in the land. Thern had destroyed the kingdom of Eladan two years ago. The Thern soldiers had killed the royal family of Eladan. The people of Eladan had migrated to many places, but the proud people were a scarce sight. You could tell one by the green and black they wore. It wasn't always green and black clothes, usually it was just an armband of some kind. The people wore it as a badge of honor. They had been the first to oppose the kingdom of Thern, and if that king had his way, the last. The Council of Fere had been debating the problem for many months. Some wanted an alliance with Thern, but others wanted to fight. Those that wanted an alliance pointed to Eladan as what would happen if they opposed Thern. Others pointed to the figures that kept fighting Thern, even though everything was against them. The kingdom of Helan was fighting Thern, along with Garh. Helan had sent an ambassador to Fere in the form of a boy named Izumi Koushiro. He was an eloquent speaker when need be, as well as a genius. He had come and solved problems in Fere that nobody had been able to solve for twenty years. Still, some members of the council opposed going against Thern in fear that they might be destroyed.
Then there were the nations that fought alongside Thern, such as Zeai. They had joined after they saw what happened to Eladan. The council members also pointed to Zeai as what they had gained, which included land that was once Eladan. The young prince shook his head at the cowardice of the members.
And then there were those who pointed to Edom, pointing out what could happen. The prince of that kingdom was stolen, apparently by Garh, though the people of Garh denied it vehemently. Trackers had gone after the kidnappers, but all they found was blood and a note. Your prince is dead. Tai shivered involuntarily, thinking that that might happen to Sora. The decisions were too numerous, and the consequences too catastrophic. His father did not know whether to fight or not, and neither did Taichi. Certainly, Thern had done some wrongs that should be answered for, but was war the right answer? Prince Kamiya did not know.
But that train of thought was disspelled from his mind as he saw his bride to be walk across the courtyard. She stopped to greet her friend and sometimes bodyguard, Takeru Takaishi.
Takeru was a powerful fighter, even though you would not guess it by looking and talking to him, but watching him in action was a thing of awe. No one could best him when it came to a sword or staff. Not even Jyou Kido, who was both a healer and master fighter. Even though Taichi had met Takeru when he entered the realm of knights at age five, he still knew barely anything about him. He knew he had a mother who was staying in the village, and that they had left his father. He did not even know if he had any siblings, or if his father was still alive. Both him and Sora were from Terla, another neutral country in the war.
He shook his head to clear his thoughts as Sora ascended the stairs.
"It looked like you were thinking hard before, so I did not want to disturb you." She told him with a light kiss.
"I was just thinking about the war, about Eladan and Thern."
"TK guessed that is what you were doing." Sora told him with a smile.
Tai chuckled. "You are the only one that can call him TK. Well, you and my sister that is. Even though he is only thirteen, he is such a good man."
"He is that. And he is in love with your sister."
"Yes, that is not too hard to see. When Jyou was teaching him, he did say that he learned fast. But not even Jyou knew how fast he would learn."
"No, I guess he did not. But I came here to remind you of the celebration we are having tomorrow." Sora told Tai as she intertwined his arm with hers.
Tai's face soured. "I would rather keep talking of warriors then diplomats. I do not see why we need this celebration.'
"The people requested it. They wanted to celebrate our marriage. You can't very well deny them that."
Tai sighed. "No, I guess not. Well, then, what is the order of things?"
"First we have entertainment, but that starts in the late afternoon, almost evening. I needed you to help me with all of the other arrangements, such as the seating of our guests. Should we invite Ambassador Koushiro?"
"I think that would be the proper thing to do, after all he did come here looking for our help, and we have given him none. It is the least we can do."
"Then, the next question will be will he accept?"
Taichi's face scrunched in a confused expression. "Why wouldn't he?"
"How would you feel if your country was at war and you were sent away to ask for help, none was given, then they invite you to a lavish celebration?"
"I see your point. Well, all we can do is ask. Who else are you inviting?"
"Well, our parents are inviting many of the lords and council members here about. I was planning on inviting TK, what do you think?"
"He won't like it, but tell him Kari is coming and he will be there."
"I suppose so. But it is getting late, and we should go in." Sora told him. He nodded reluctantly and walked in. A fire was already roaring in the common hall. Izumi was in deep thought, staring into the fire. He had on his usual blue shirt and red pants. Taichi sat down beside him.
"Izumi, are you all right?" The prince asked. But even as the words left his mouth, he knew it was a dumb question. But Izumi had a gracious facet to him, and demonstrated it by letting the stupidity go by without an insult.
"I wish I was Prince. I fear I may have to return to my kingdom soon."
"Why is that?"
"The situation is getting worse. Thern soldiers have started to overrun our posts. They are being slowed down, but they cannot hold out for long."
"I am sorry Izumi, about the Council I mean. If it was up to me, I would send help." Taichi promised. "And I am sure if it was just my dad, he would do the same."
"I believe you Prince, but the Council is still deliberating, and will still be when they invade Fere. I need to return."
"One man cannot turn the tide of a war."
"This I know. However, my king has told me before that I have a very commanding presence on the battlefield, and soldiers will follow me. While I myself do not see this, he says it is true."
"Then stay at least for one more week. We are having a celebration to honor mine and Princess Sora Takenouchi's marriage. Will you join us?"
"It would be very rude to not join in your happiness, even if I am privately grieving." Izumi accepted with a slight bow.
"Thank you Ambassador." Taichi returned the bow. He looked around the common hall, to see who else was there. His eyes fell upon Jyou Kido. He walked over. Jyou was describing a fight to a crowd of young knight trainees.
"Well, I blocked and kicked him in the stomach. Before he could recover, I used my fist, which was wrapped around the sword hilt, and hit him in the side of the face. That knocked him out, and I was able to capture him." He finished, accepting a cup of ale from a trainee.
"So, did Prince Taichi do what he said?" One asked.
Tai remembered the incident. "Yes, I had a swim in the Fountain with no clothes. Quite cold, if I remember right." Taichi surprised everyone, dropping both arms around two trainees. "But I beat him soundly one week after that.
"Only because I let you." Jyou retorted.
"Somehow I doubt that. Well, isn't anybody going to congratulate me for my engagement?" Tai asked, feigning exasperation.
There came a resounding chorus of 'No' from all around. "You don't think enough of your own prince to do this one simple task." Tai dropped his head and started to walk off.
Jyou laughed. "Alright, sit down and we'll tell these young cadets some of the times we had."
"We did have many a moment." Tai thought as he accepted the chair that was offered. They stayed up late, relating stories of old, telling tales of old, and scaring young ones with legends of old. Even Izumi was brought into it, telling several legends of his country. The storytelling finally broke up late at night. Prince Taichi dragged himself to his bed and fell on it, sleeping in his clothes.



It was a good thing he did. Tai woke with a start, wondering why he had done so. The second chime of the alarm answered his question. He jumped and grabbed his sword, which was still lying where he threw it, on his chair. He ran out, meeting Takeru and Jyou as he did. They all ran out into the courtyard. On the ground were four guards. Whether dead or unconscious, Takeru could not tell. A black figure was walking out.
Tai ran toward him. "Who are you?" The figure paused and turned. Suddenly, something small hit Tai, and he went flying sideways. Jyou ran after his prince, only to be confronted by another man. Takeru kept walking towards the strange figure. It seemed that every conspirator wore a dark cloak that covered his or her face.
Tai scrambled up as fast as he could. The figure before him was slightly smaller then himself. Tai raised his sword, as did his opponent. They both charged, meeting halfway. Tai swung high, but it was blocked. Each time Tai swung his sword, it was blocked, and followed by an attack. But then Tai would block and attack.
Jyou slowly drew his sword, pointing it at his antagonist. The man drew his sword almost reluctantly. Jyou charged and swung, putting enough force into his swing to make the stranger back up two paces. The figure then retaliated, but Jyou blocked.
Takeru calmly drew his sword. The obvious leader of the group drew his own sword confidently. Takeru allowed himself a small smile. He had yet to meet his match, and it seemed such was the case with this man. Takeru decided not to waste any time, and threw himself eagerly into the fight. To his surprise, an equally masterful block met each of his masterful moves. The stranger seemed to be expending no effort at all, but his fluid movements and strain he was putting on his muscles betrayed that thought. He met one of Takeru's powerful thrusts and used his own weight against him, pushing him away.
"We have what we need!" He called out to the others. The one Tai was fighting nodded and ran to the wall. Tai barely had time to wonder how they were planning to escape when he saw the rope hanging down. He quickly followed it to its source. Another figure was on the top, wedging a rope arrow into the stone.
Jyou's opponent was less willing to give up the fight, but he moved back just the same. Takeru ran toward the leader, but he was blocked by Jyou's opponent. Jyou and Tai ran toward the leader as the smaller one started climbing the rope. The figure produced another sword, beckoning Tai and Jyou. They both charged, swinging on the outside. Their strikes were blocked.
"Go!" Takeru's opponent urgently yelled to his leader. The leader flicked his gaze over to his man, then nodded. The leader pushed Tai and Jyou away. Before they could recover, he performed an inhuman kick, both of his feet leaving the ground. His feet found their marks on Tai and Jyou's faces. The figure then grabbed the rope and hauled himself up. Takeru's opponent was not as good as the leader. He was failing. Takeru saw his chance. He raised his sword above his head and brought it down. The sword flew from his opponent. The leader at the top of the wall hesitated. Takeru's opponent quickly rolled, knocking Takeru's feet out from under him. "I'll be fine sir! I'll get back to you when I can!" He called out to his leader. The leader hesitated once again, then nodded and threw himself over the walls, outside to safety. The figure then raised his hands.
"Surrender?! After all that, you want to surrender?" Takeru could not believe it.
"All that matters is gone. Safe from you."
"And what would be so important?" Tai asked, coming to face his prisoner.
"That which is not yours." He replied with a smile. The first vestages of dawn broke, flooding over the ramparts, allowing his enemies to see his face for the first time. Tai had assumed the man with which Takeru was fighting was around their ages, but he could not tell. Now though, he saw it was true. The boy had blue hair and large, defiant eyes.
"What is your name, renegade?" Jyou asked, putting his sword blade under the defiant boy's chin.
"Ken Ichijoji." He replied, unflinching.
"We'll teach you to steal from the Royal Palace of Fere." Tai informed him. Ken looked back with a smile on his face and a twinkle in his eye.
"I doubt it."