Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ The War to End All Wars ❯ The Brothers ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Tai sat down beside his bride-to-be, briefly glancing over at his sister. Takeru was sitting right beside her, and next to Sora. TK had to have arranged it that way on purpose. Cody was sitting on the other side of Tai, with Tai''s father on the other side of him. Sora looked up, concerned as a soldier whispered into Takeru's ear. Takeru nodded.
"The scouts have seen some movement in the fields. I'll go check it out, then report back to you." Takeru promised Tai. Tai nodded. Takeru walked through a small set of doors, while the musicians came in at the opposite end. The lead musician walked up to the Royal families.
"I am honored that you have chosen us to perform for you this night." The blonde-haired boy announced. They started the song, and went into several others. They stopped, then the bandleader stepped up again. "This is a personal favorite of ours. It's called Raggle Taggle Gypsy-o." The leader started singing.



There was three old gypsies came to our hall door
They came brave and boldly-o
And one sang high and the other sang low
And the other sang a raggle taggle gypsy-o

It was upstairs downstairs the lady went
Put on her suit of leather-o
And there was a cry from around the door
She's away with the raggle taggle gypsy-o

It was late that night when the lord came in
Inquiring for his lady-o
And the servant girl, she said to the lord
She's away with the raggle taggle gypsy-o

Well saddle for me, my milk white steed
My big horse is not speedy-o
And I will ride 'till I see my bride
She's away with the raggle taggle gypsy-o

Now he rode east, he rode west
He rode north and south also
Until he came to a wide open plain
It was there that he spied his lady-o

How could you leave your goose feather bed
Your blankets strewn so calmly-o
How could you leave your only wedded lord
All for the raggle taggle gypsy-o

Well what care I for my goose feather bed
My blankets strewn so calmly-o
Tonight I lie in a wide open field
In the arms of a raggle taggle gypsy-o

How could you leave your house and your land
How could you leave your money-o
How could your only wedded lord
All for the raggle taggle gypsy-o

Well what care I for my house and land
What care I for my money-o
I'd rather have a kiss from the yellow gypsy's lips
I'm away with the raggle taggle gypsy-o


Amidst the applause, another musician ran up to Matt. He listened intently for a few seconds, then nodded. He slipped his guitar strap up over his head and laid his guitar down.
"If your majesties will excuse me, I have word of an urgent matter that needs my touch. Until I play for you again." Matt excused himself and walked towards the doors. Walking down the hallway, he passed another person. They nodded at each other, but did nothing else. Until it hit them who they had just passed. They both stopped and turned.
"TK." Matt greeted his brother quietly.
"Matt. And I'm Takeru now."
"Yes, I can see that. I wondered where you and Mom went."
"Well, now you found us. And what are you doing here?"
"I'm playing for your royal families." Matt shrugged.
"You mean you are bringing the fight here. This is a place not touched by war, Matt."
"Not touched by war, Takeru? Every place has been touched by war. Whether you like it or not, the war is coming here."
Takeru approached Matt. "Is that a threat?"
"No, a warning. What are you doing here?"
"It seems that a lot of people have been giving me warnings. I am the bodyguard to Princess Sora. And what are you doing here? Don't pretend you're just a musician. I was trying to believe that it wasn't you last night. But you are probably the only one who can beat me. Don't bring the war to me, Matt. I don't want any part of it."
Matt laughed. "You don't want any part of it? Well, I'm sorry Lord God Takeru, but you are going to be dragged into this war like everyone else. Who gave you permission to make your own little peace? Who gave you permission to sign a treaty with yourself, not going to war? I have news that may be new to you and your kingdom Takeru. The war is here, whether you want it or not. And where did you and Mom run off too?"
"We ran here, believe it or not. What did you want us to do? Stay and die?"
"No, but I would have gotten you out."
TK whirled on his brother. "You? You were too busy showing your vindictive streak, going off to fight and leaving me and Mom to fend for ourselves. You asked who gave me permission to sign my own little peace? Alright, maybe no one did, but who gave you the permission to go off and leave a woman and a five year old child at home!!" Takeru screamed the last part.
"I was trying to save Dad."
"Dad was dead already and you knew it. Since you have this bloodthirsty nature in you, you left us to see blood!"
"I left you to try and stop them from killing the rest of us! You don't remember it Takeru, but I do. They ripped through Eladan like it was a sheet. They rode straight up to the castle. They dragged Dad out and made him kneel before them. Then they drove their horses over him, while he was still being forced to kneel. That was when I arrived. I took down one of them, and then the Royal Guard trainees arrived. That was all that was left Takeru, the Royal Guard trainees. We held them off of the second floor of the palace. That was when I ran back for you. But you were already gone. When I ran to help them again, they were being pushed onto the second floor. I told them to run. Some did, others covered our retreat. We broke through the stained glass, you remember that big window? Well, we broke it with our escape. The townspeople started to help us escape. They were cut down when the soldiers tried to follow. We did get away, but I didn't want to look behind me to see the price. Some of the trainees left then, and some stayed with me. Through all the travels, now only Willis and Elessar are left."
"Willis and Elessar are alive?" TK asked, hope rising.
"Yes. And they are no longer trainees."
"What about Grondin?" TK asked, mentioning one of his friends.
"He died on the staircase." Takeru looked away. "He died, thinking he was protecting you. But you had already gone."
"He died because he had to protect your escape. If you hadn't ran away, then everyone could have gotten away." TK retorted.
"TK, neither of us are going to concede we are wrong, so let's just pretend that we are in agreement."
"Alright Matt. What exactly are your intentions?"
"You'll see soon enough. Are you going to give me away?"
"No Matt, I won't. Not this time."


Kari looked for TK, wondering what was taking him so long. He had told her he would be gone for a few minutes, just to check on something on the battlements. Just as she was thinking that, he slipped into his seat. She looked at him, surprised that she had not seen him come through the main door. That surprise turned to concern as she saw his face. She grabbed his arm.
"TK, what's wrong?" She pleaded to know.
He shook his head. "Ask me later." He replied, looking intently at the musicians. The one playing the flute was concentrating too hard to notice that Takeru was staring at him. However, when the song stopped, the flute player looked up, and gazed coolly right back into TK's eyes. Elessar could see that TK had already talked to Matt. TK risked a quick look to where the musicians had come through and, as Elessar knew, where Willis was staying with their weapons.

Tai looked at Takeru strangely, wondering why it had taken so long, and why he had not reported to him as he promised. When Takeru said he would do something, he would do it. He must have been upset by what he saw. But, Tai shrugged it off, turning his attention back to the small boy next to him. Now the prince was positive that the boy had been the one he fought last night. He would have him arrested after the feast. But just as Tai was planning on how to do it, an arrow sunk deep into his chair, right next to his head. A second did the same to his dad's chair. Everything was silent.
"I apologize, King Kamiya." A voice called out. "But it was necessary. Now, I have another arrow trained on you, and one on your son. It would be unwise to do anything. Cody, go open the doors." The voice ordered. Cody nodded and ran off. Tai finally found the origin of the voice. It was a floor above them, standing on a ledge overlooking the banquet hall. It was the musician leader. He had on a weathered green-black cloak, with black pants and a green shirt on under. The colors of Eladan.
"Why are you doing this?!" King Kamiya demanded to know.
"Because you have one of my men in your dungeon." Matt calmly replied.
"Ken Ichijoji." Izumi spat. "So, you are Zeai?"
"No!" Everyone was surprised at who said that. It was Takeru. "No, he is my brother. His name is Yamato Ishida." TK told the others quietly. Tai was shocked to hear the name. Ishida had been the royal family of Eladan.
"If you are the prince from Eladan, why do you attack us like this?" Sora asked.
"Since you have not joined in the fight, you have, in a sense, joined with Thern." Willis answered as he strode through the doors, weapons in tow. Tai could see two guards laying face down on the stone behind him.
"You did not help us, so you hindered us." Mimi told them.
"Willis, Elessar, when did I ever hinder you?" TK asked, standing to his feet.
"TK!" Willis exclaimed. Then, he looked at Matt. "I take it you and Matt already had a talk?"
"We did. Now, answer my question."
"Very well TK, you hindered us when you did not fight with us. And I don't mean when Thern attacked. I mean afterwards, when people started hearing of the Runya (pronounced roonya), and how they attacked Thern. You had to have known it was us." Willis finished.
"Yes, I did know it was you, both by your tactics and your name. But I already had a job, protecting Princess Sora from my enemy. Which was occasionally Thern. I dispatched spies and assasins, helping you."
"I'm proud. Cody, go get Ken."
"Why exactly did you steal from us?" Tai asked, recovering from the shock that Takeru was actually royalty.
"You were given gifts by Thern. They took those items from Eladan. We took back what was ours. Plus, we needed the gold. Elessar, go get the scrolls." Matt ordered. Elessar dutifully nodded and walked off.
"Scrolls? What do you want scrolls for?" Takeru asked, genuinely confused.
"For a reason." Willis answered, looking over his shoulder as Elessar exited the banquet hall. Matt's men had already covered all the exits.
"We didn't have enough time to get them last night. That was the primary reason for coming here. Whatever else we grabbed was just a bonus."
"You took two tapestries. Do you plan to sell those?" King Kamiya asked.
"It's a possibility."
"We're back!" Cody called out as he and Ken walked through the doors.
"Where's Elessar?" Ken asked as he accepted a sword from Willis.
"He went to get the scrolls. If you will excuse us, we need to plan our next move." Matt bowed to the royal families as he and his main people started to converse. Tai glanced at the man nearest him. If he moved fast enough, he could catch him unawares. If only Takeru took the other man. Tai glanced at Takeru. Takeru shook his head, then nodded upwards. There, on the balcony, were two archers. Tai shrugged. Takeru knew as well as he did that those wouldn't prove that much of a problem. Why was he stalling? Was it because he didn't want to go up against his brother? Possibly, but Tai had to do something. The prince looked accusingly at Takeru. Takeru nodded this time over at Sora and Kari. That stopped Tai. It would be likely that they would be harmed if a struggle happened. But he still had to do something.
"I have it." Elessar announced calmly as he strode into the room.
"Finally!! We almost have all of it!" Willis exclaimed.
"Yes. We do. But now, the question is how do we get out of your borders safely?" Matt asked TK, crossing his arms.
Cody glanced at Sora. "What about the beautiful Princess Sora Takenouchi?"
"I don't know Cody. That could be tricky." Ken told the smaller boy, thinking of the consequences.
"And very, very, dangerous." Tai promised.
"If we were scared of danger, we would have gotten out of this business long ago. It might be a good way to get away." Willis reasoned.
"I don't know. Mimi? What do you think?" He asked his singer.
"I don't think we should."
"I think we should." One teenager stepped up.
"Michael, you do know that they will come after us if we take her?" Mimi asked.
"Yes, I do know. But they won't attack if we have her." He replied.
"Let's do it Matt." Cody told his leader. Matt looked down into Cody's eyes.
"Right. Princess, if you could come with us." Matt asked, holding out his arm. Tai made his move. He jumped, knocking down the nearest man. He took that man's sword as another ran for him. Tai turned and jumped away from the blade. The man stopped at a command from Matt. Tai turned to Matt. Matt had drawn his sword and held it at Tai. The Prince of Fere smiled and charged. The force of his blow was blocked by a powerful block on Matt's part. Matt pushed Tai back and dropped, doing a sweeping kick which knocked Tai's feet out. Tai fell hard on his side. In an instant, Matt's blade was pointed at Tai's throat.
"Stop." A small voice called out. "I'll go with you." Sora said quietly.
"You are lucky to have such a fiance. Why one like this would accept you, however, is beyond me. Let us leave. But first, I do believe Elessar has a trick to show you." Matt told them, gesturing at Elessar. Elessar nodded and prepared as the others left the hall.
"Now watch my hand closely." He ordered all the onlookers. He closed his hand and turned it down. Then, he pointed it at them, and opened it suddenly. What looked like a yellow wall of haze flew from it and settled among them. Elessar then turned and left.



TK was the first to awake. He was leaning against the wall, where he was thrown when, whatever it was, had flown from Elessar's hand. He crawled over to Kari first.
"Kari, are you okay?" He asked as he looked at her pale cheeks. He shook his head, trying to stop staring at her beautiful face. He shook her gently. She awoke with a start, accidently slapping TK as she did so.
"NO! What? TK, oh my, did I do that?" She asked, pointing to the red slap mark on TK's cheek. TK just smiled and nodded. He chuckled at her actions as he crawled to Tai. He awoke less violently. But that wasn't the case when he was fully roused.
"We must go after them this instant! Don't try to smooth me over Takeru!" Tai raved.
"It was your brother that took her! You will be with me, hunting them down! Who is with me?!" Tai called out in a strong voice.
"Silence!" A stronger voice ordered. King Kamiya looked around. "Yes, we must go after them. But not in a rage and disorder. The ones going will be assembled in the courtyard in one hour. That gives you enough time to pack clothes and for food to be readied. Now go!" The king's words set everyone in the banquet hall into a commotion. The king walked out of the hall into the outside. The sun shone down on him brightly. How long had they been unconscious? King Kamiya shook his head at the treachery. And from the prince, well, now king, of Eladan. What had Takeru called him? Yamato. Yes, he did remember a Yamato. He would continue to remember a Yamato.


The rescuers were assembled in the courtyard in less that forty minutes. Tai leading them. Tai looked with pride and confidence over his men. He saw one man that surprised him.
"Izumi, you do not have to accompany us."
"But I do. Besides, you might be going near Helan."
"As you wish Ambassador. Jyou, I knew I would see you out here! And Takeru! I am sorry for my rash words earlier. I guess everyone that is coming is already here."
King Kamiya stood on the dais overlooking the courtyard. "Go, bring the Princess Sora back. Try to do as little damage as possible. I bid you all farewell." The horses hooves pounded just as the King finished his speech. Tai's father turned back to the castle, wondering why Kari had not seen them off.