Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ To Freedom ❯ Thoughts and Feelings ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Wings

Digimon belongs not to me, and who wants that kind of power anyway?

Chapter 3 - Thoughts and Feelings

"So, my little swan boy. You're human. Yet, you appear to be in no pain, have no injury. Care to tell me what made you turn back?"
Ken stared up at Oikawa, at the paper-white face, at the red eyes looking down on him. Ken glanced away, to the damp lakeside mud, to where that boy had dropped the arrow.

The arrow was broken in two, the wood stained red and the metal tip covered in dry blood. Ken picked up the halves, and held them out to Oikawa. He didn't look up.

Oikawa didn't say anything at first. He glared at the arrow halves, and Ken. Then he crushed the wood in his fist.

"Who healed you?" Oikawa at last said, his voice strangely cold and metallic, like the arrow tip in his fist. Ken whispered,

"I don't know."

"You don't know?"

"A boy. I don't know who."

"And what," Oikawa's voice threatened, "did you say to this boy?"

"Nothing," Ken said, uncomfortable. It wasn't a lie, it wasn't.

"Nothing? Well then, what did this boy say to you?"

"Nothing. He left. He went away. He was angry," Ken hurried out, "Please don't hurt me?"

Oikawa laughed. He threw what remained of the arrow to the ground, the tip now wet with his blood, and left.

He had believed him. Ken sighed with almost relief. He was safe. Oikawa had gone.

Ken felt himself change. It didn't hurt anymore, like it had the first time. Then it hurt like hell. Even so, he usually hated the transformation.

Ken's skin tickled as white feathers appeared.

He didn't now. The swan's mind wouldn't think, not like his would. He wouldn't worry over what happened, over the boy who was a prince. He didn't want to think about that.

And so, as the transformation completed, and he flew alone into the afternoon sky, he didn't think. There was only the flight.

And, temporarily, peace.

Daisuke, back at the castle, was not so lucky. He put his things away carelessly, distracted by thoughts of Ken, and the enchantment.

He was thinking of it when he pounded up the stairs, thinking of it when he collapsed on silk bed covers. And thinking that he could end it.

Daisuke sat up restlessly, glaring at pale green sheets, before he stood up. He would have to go see Ken. Soon. Tonight. There would be no other free nights for the rest of the week.

Oh, god the rest of the week.

Daisuke flung himself back on his bed. He was eighteen. Eighteen. And his parents were absolutely determined he would find himself a wife.

He stood back up, sweeping his gaze around the room. It was incredibly rich looking; the drapes were velvet, the tapestries that hung on the walls the finest in the land. He could have anything he wanted.

Except love. Oh, there was no shortage of willing candidates. It wouldn't be hard for him to find a wife, Daisuke knew. But he didn't want one. What he wanted...

Blue eyes that looked at no one but him, loved no one but him, soft midnight hair and pale skin. Soft smiles and adoration, where once there had been sadness, secrets and mystery.

God, Daisuke had met the boy only half an hour, but he knew him better than his parents, his sister, his best friends. Better than himself.

And when he dreamed... god, it hadn't all been pain.

There was no way. Just no way. He would go to the balls his parents had arrange, where they imagined he would meet some fine young noble lady. One who handled herself with dignity and respect, who way beautiful and clever, and who would steal their son's heart away at a glance.

God, if Ken were a girl, Daisuke knew there would be no problem. No problem whatsoever. His parents could deal with a fairytale life. But not his, never this.

Daisuke wiped his hand quickly across his eyes, angry at himself, angry at his parents. It wasn't fair! He couldn't be what they wanted and he couldn't want what they wanted and he was crying and he couldn't breath, it was just too much.

Daisuke gave a muffled scream, ran to pull open a window, throw his head out. He breathed deeply but raggedly. The air outside was cold, and he shivered.

He calmed down. And wondered, what would his parents think if he could them? What would they do if he told them?

The idea scared him, and he pulled his head back inside. He walked over to his bed, leaving the window open, and sat down.

They could disown him. They could humiliate him. But they couldn't change him.

He would go to their balls, their masquerades. He would not find they lady they dreamed of. What then would they do?

The answer came quickly, and felt like ice. They would choose for him. And he would marry whom they choose, unless.

He could run away. He could run away, run down to the lake, find Ken and tell him. But what then would they do? Ken was still a swan-boy, human only at night, or during one of the other mysterious time slots he had failed to mention.

What had he said?

"It was he who turned me and the others into swans, until some human should swear their eternal love for one of us. Until then..."

Daisuke felt giddy. It was so easy! He could go tell Ken tonight, and then he could run away. It was so obvious.

Daisuke lay down, breathing calmly. He was not crying. He knew what he would do, and he would do it tonight.

And Daisuke could not wait for night to fall.