Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Trials of the Heart ❯ And Then Came Pain ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

And Then Came Pain




"I love you... Sora...."

I know, I know.... Not exactly something that should be said at that particular moment, but... after what he was doing to her, I had to say it. He had no right! Keeping such things from those girls.... It would only cause pain. So much pain.... Someone had to tell them! And that someone was going to be me.

I walked off of the stage and into the layers of crapily hung curtains. Tonight would not be a fun night, and I knew it.... It ached in my bones; something painful was going to happen to me... that I was going to get hurt.... Oh well... at least she will know....

"Tai?"

What? I spun around. Low and behold... there she stood. Even though she was only in an old long sleeved t-shirt and pajama pants, she looked beautiful to me... not that I cared about looks.... She had always been angelic looking, but her personality was what really got to me.... "Yeah, Sora...?"

Her crimson eyes wavered, and she looked away. "I.... What did you say... back there... what did you...," she stuttered. A light layer of blush formed on her cheeks. I smiled. She always did get embarrassed easily.

"You heard me...," I whispered. "What did I say?" Walking up to her, I tried to bend down and look into her eyes. I had to look into her eyes.... To know that she knew... that she understood....

She suddenly snapped her head up. Tears...? Was she...? "You said.... Did you mean...?"

What was she talking about? 'Did you mean...?' Did I mean... what? Maybe... she wanted to know if I had meant what I said.... "Yes," I muttered, "I meant it.... Why would I lie...?" We were close now.... Almost nose to nose... 'cept that I was a little taller, but....

She looked so confused now. It made me feel so bad... like I had hurt her... but in reality, it was nothing compared to what Matt was doing. Speaking of which....

"Sora, I have to tell you something.... It's... it's important." Please... listen.... Don't turn away.

Here eyes studied me unsurely. "Tai... I'm with Matt.... I am sorry if I hurt--"

I grumbled, "Yeah, well... it's about Matt, actually...." Him and that 'Mandi' chick. I doubted that even she knew about Matt's little scheme.... "You see...," I started; I never got to finish....

"What about me?"

"Matt!" Sora cried. I let out a scowl. Darn it.... I made a guess that he had been listening to our entire conversation.... If so, then he was ticked....

"So, Tai," insisted Matt with a sneer, "let's hear it." He already knew what I wanted to tell her... and I knew that he didn't want her to know.... So I scoffed and crossed my arms. Said I:

"Nothing... at least, not anymore."

Matt chuckled and gently pushed Sora towards the exit. "He's only joking," he lied. "Go on out and dance a little while me and Tai have a chat." I was going to get it.... Oh yeah.... He laughed and waved and waited until Sora was out of hearing distance; and then he stormed right up to me and flung his fist into my gut. The impact created a sickening thwunk. I let out a gasp for air and fell forward. God... that had hurt. And I had a feeling that he wasn't done yet....

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" he demanded, picking me up to face him by my hair. Pain surged through my entire body. "Well?"

Better just tell the man. "Be... cause Sora has a right t-to know...."

His eyes rolled in a mock. "'Because Sora has a right to know'" he mimicked, then flung my head down. I fell without any true sound. The best thing for me at the moment was to just stay still and shut up. "Well, don't. Just leave her alone. Leave us alone," he whispered. The guy had rage packed up in every single syllable stated. Yup-- he was ticked....

With light taps, he left me to rot. So much for that friendship.... I guessed that I'd wait there until it was time for everyone to sleep. No... maybe I would go out sooner, but I had to avoid them.... I wasn't even sure if I could look Sora in the eyes now.... It would probably hurt too much....

"Nights are lonely, days are so sad...

I can't stop thinkin' about the love that we had....

And I'm dyin' inside... and nobody knows it but me...."

The words came from my mouth in a soft rasp, but... that was how I felt. Hell-- I wasn't even sure that those were the right words to the song.... 'Sora....' Would we still be friends in the morning? Or had I truly lost you this time? I didn't know... because only Sora would be the judge... and with Matt being the plaintiff, it'd be hard for him to lose.

~*~

Morning came rather quickly, and I had already begun to roll up my sleeping bag when Sora approached me. I greeted her with a fake smile; she greeted me... with sadness.

"Tai.... Matt told me that... that you're jealous...," she muttered.

What?! "He said what...?" What was he planning now? Upset-- yes. But jealous?

"Don't try... to lie, Tai...." Why did she look so hurt? "He said that you were trying to take me away from him...."

Shocked. That's all that I was. Shocked. "Sora... I would never...," I began.

"Don't!" she cried. She was crying again.... I had made her cry... again.... "Just... just leave me alone... okay? I want to be with Matt. Okay?" She looked up at me. I saw it in her eyes. She wasn't lying when she had said that she wanted to be with Matt... but she was when she told me to leave her alone.... No... Sora-- you couldn't....

"Sora, I--"

"Just... stop it. Please." Once she said that, she turned ("Goodbye, Tai....") and left the building... with Matt. Once again, I felt pain... but this time, it was in my heart.... Just like on Christmas... only it was much stronger.... With a cry of anguish, I fell to the ground and slammed my hands on the tiled floor. 'Sora... you idiot!' I didn't care who watched; Kari could even tell Mom and Dad later if she wanted too.... I just felt so... so stupid! I was my fault....

All my fault.

~*~

I walked down the cold, deserted streets of Odaiba alone. Kari had offered to tag along, but I insisted on her walking home with T.K. and the others. Every once and a while a car would sploosh past me; none of the stores were open, either. This scenario suited me right now, anyway.

It had just hit me that... I wasn't friends with Sora anymore... and that I hadn't accomplished what I had set out to do.... Why was my life turning into such a disaster? I lost two friendships... and maybe even a love.... God... I was so stupid.... I should have waited to tell Sora! Then I would have made sure that Matt wasn't around to interrupt. But... it was to late.

What had gone wrong? Why hadn't it worked? Well... for starters, I hadn't been thinking clearly. My rage had been way above its boiling point. Man... Sora was going to get hurt, and it would be all my fault....

I absentmindedly crossed the road. Did I bother to look both ways? No.... I was only thinking about my problems.... How many times had something actually been my fault? How many more times? Who would hurt me next? Who would I hurt next? And what would I--

Beep! BEEEEP!

What was that? I turned my head. A... a car...? My mind started shrieking at me to run... but my legs felt as though they had been glued to the snowy road by some invisible force. With a loud SCHREEEE! the car came towards me. It wasn't going to stop in time, was it? It was going to hit me... wasn't it?

I let out a small, weak, sad sigh. This could be the end.... I mean... how many people survive from car wrecks? And even if I did....

'Sora....'

~*~

A/N: Short, little chapter this time. Why? Well, partially because I have, like, five reports to type; and this next chapter (told by Sora) will be a long one... or at least I think so. Also... this is what you get when you drink two cans of pop, attempt to eat a tub of ice cream, and then try to stay up late on a school night.... ^^'' So please forgive me, mina-chan.... Oh, and the next chapter is called... 'I Love....' Sora will finally choose! (DUN DUN DUUUN!) But... will she be too late? And what of Taichi? Will he be alive to hear her choice? Only time (and the next chapter) will say. It should be up by next week!

And, might I add, I think that I've fallen in love with dots/periods! ....................... You can probably notice throughout this story.... Heh.... Bad Angel-Chan, bad. Well... please review! I will eat more ice cream until I have a certain amount of reviews! *thinks* But I don't know how many I want, soo.... I dunno-- surprise me. REVIEW! *sniffles* Please...? Sayonara....- Angel-Chan (.........................)