Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Trials of the Heart ❯ Just Friends? ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Just Friends?


Christmas. A time for gift giving and gift receiving. I not only gave out many precious gifts, but acquired ones as well. I cooked Matt some cookies, ones I made especially for him. He enjoyed them, I think, because he did walk me home afterwards. Oh, God, I was blushing bad!

"So, Sora?" Matt looked at me with those enchanting baby blue eyes of his. "I was wondering if you would like to go out with me tomorrow."

"A-A date?" I stammered. How stupid I felt! Oh, did I want to whack myself hard for this!

"Yeah. What do you say?" He grinned. "Movies, your choice, and a really fancy restaurant my dad told me about."

We were at my front door. Glancing down, I muttered, "Sure... What time?"

He laughed. "How's about 7:30 or so?"

I looked up at him. From the burning sensation on my cheeks, I knew that I was beet red. "Fine with me..."

I could have sworn his eyes twinkled as he walked back down to the sidewalk. "Check ya later!" he called, waving to me briskly. I watched him stride away, eyes eating up his entire figure. I leaned against the door and sighed heavily. Me, little old me, and Matt Ishada... On a date! I suddenly realized something... I had nothing to wear... I groaned. Tomorrow intended to be a long day...

~*~

"No! Not this either!" I cried, tossing what little clothing I had in my closet out, hoping to find something presentable. I couldn't say the I succeeded...

"Darnit! Why don't I have anything 'nice' to wear?" My date with Matt was at 7:30. It was already noon. Mainly, I had nothing to wear. Zip. Zilch. I cried out in angry frustration. I barely had enough time to go mall shopping, and I wanted to look good for him. I had to look good for him. My heart speeded up, beating against my chest. What if I wasn't ready on time or didn't look right? Would he forget me? Pulling out my savings pouch, I groaned. Shopping...

Shopping wasn't my best quality. Heck, it wasn't really a quality at all... I usually needed an opinion from someone else... My mom couldn't help due to her flower shop, and Davis and the others were busy with their own crisis. On times like these, I usually counted on my best friend... But now, I was afraid to hurt him... I think I already did, though he did not state it... Still, I needed help...

I picked up the and dialed. It rang. Once. Twice. "Hello? Kamiya residence," an older woman's voice greeted me.

"Hello, Mrs. Kamiya. I was just wondering if Tai was home..." I hesitated. Did I really want to do this?

"He sure is! Hold on a sec.," she answered. Muffled, I heard her call out his name and after a few minutes, the receiver was handed to him.

"Hello?"

Don't sound nervous... Act (oh jeeze!) casual. "Hey, Tai!" I said happily.

There was a sustained pause. "Hey, Sora!" he replied after a moment, fake happiness filling his voice.

I breathed in heavily. Should I? Well, here went nothing. "Hey, I was just wondering if you wanted to come shopping with me. I sort of need to pick something up." Oh Lord... What a cheesy excuse!

"... Sure, why not?" I exhaled. Her chuckled. "Whacha need? Let me guess, you have a 'hot' date with Matt tonight?"

I winced. He knew. "Well now," I giggled, "I can't keep anything from you, can I?"

"Nope!" It felt like he was smiling proudly, yet sadly. "I am, after all, your best friend." I couldn't help but notice how much emphasis he used on 'best friend.' I fought it aside.

"Thanks! I guess I'll meet you at your apartment, since it's closer..."

"Cool. Fine, whatever. See you then." He hung up, leaving me to listen to the droning dial tone for a moment. Smiling, I placed the phone back where it belonged.

"What was all that about?" Biyomon inquired sleepily, trudging towards me shakily. "You were yelling and throwing things just a little bit ago..."

I felt my lips curl up in a sweet smile. She was such a caring, loving creature. I hugged her. "It's okay Biyomon. Now," I said, pushing her gently towards the bed, "get some sleep."

She yawned weakly and sluggishly trailed to her sleeping spot.

"Sleep tight, Biyomon...," I whispered, tiptoeing to the door. I took one last glance at her peaceful slumber, then closed it behind me.

~*~

I figured Tai was waiting in his room when he didn't meet me at the bottom floor. Walking up the stairs, my mind wondered. I hoped that I had enough money... Also, I hoped that Tai was okay with all of this... He seemed so upset. Stepping up to the door, I could hear a small conversation going on. It was between Tai ad Agumon. Silently, I listened.

"Tai, where are you going?"

"I'm just going shopping with Sora for a little bit. She's got to buy something for her date tonight..."

"Uh... What's a date?" I giggled to myself. Silly little digimon!

Tai sighed. "It's where two people who care for one another go out together and eat or see a movie."

"Oh, I see now! Are you going on the date with her?"

"Me? No..."

"Why not? You care for her, don't you?" I gaped at those words, covering my mouth so that I didn't make a sound.

"Sure, I care for her... but she doesn't care for me the same way..." He scoffed. "We're 'just friends.'"

I stood there confused, dazed, and feeling guilty. I did hurt him... I never new he felt that way... I didn't know what to do. I knocked.

"Coming!" There was some rustling, then Tai appeared, smiling. "Hey, Sora! Let's go bargain hunting!"

~*~

"So, what is it you need, exactly?" he asked me finally, after the long walk of silence, while making our way down the mall's parking lot.

I blushed lightly and locked my hands together. "Well... I was hoping to find a semi fancy dress..." I looked away, embarassed.

He chuckled. "Where is he taking you?" I just had to laugh at his goofy face!

I giggled slightly. "Oh, nowhere special. Just to the movies and some restaurant that he hard about from his father..."

He lifted an eyebrow. "I suppose it's a really fancy one?"

I nodded, feeling my face heat up. "Yeah..."

He smiled, then ruffled the red mop of hair on my head. We stopped right by the opening, his hand still resting on my hair, fingers intertwined in the strands. Oh man! What was he going to do? My mind raced, and I quickly searched his eyes. They were serious. I felt like I was in a trance, lost within his deep brown eyes... He blinked and suddenly walked to the door. "Come on, Sora. Can't take all day!"

I stood there for a moment, trying to figure out what had just happened. Shaking it off, I scampered after him. "Wait up!"

Quietly, we came across the 'cheapest' dress store in the mall. 'Feminine Works.' I groaned and slumped. "I don't know if I can do this..."

Tai slapped me on the back reassuringly. "Never give up!" he piped, dragging me in by the arm. He spread his arms out wide, motioning to the racks of clothing. "Go, find what you desire..."

"O-Okay..." I glided past him, wondering what to buy.

~*~

"You can't be serious!"

"What?"

"You're going to wear that?

I looked down at myself. It wasn't a bad outfit. A lovely white blouse looked pretty darn good with a silky black skirt. Then again, the prices put together were rather high...

"Sora, Sora, Sora..." He shook a finger. "You want something glamorous for the one you like, right?" I bobbed my head up and down, blushing madly. "Then come here!" He snatched my hand and marched to a small rack. He searched through it rationally, yanking out anything he seemed somewhat interested in. After pulling out at least a dozen different outfits, he turned to me and gave a small 'V' sign on his fingers. "One of these should work," he advised. "Plus, they're probably cheaper than that set you have on!"

"Thanks..." Slowly, I moved to the changing rooms with my load. Tai was too cheerful. Glancing back, I noticed a sales clerk approach him. She said something while smiling, and from what I could tell, he became agitated, not to mention beet red, and stormed to his waiting seat. The lady just chuckled to herself and went on with her duties. I entered my small room confused.

I tried on a lot of dresses. Most received a 'It doesn't suit you,' or a 'It's not your color.' I was getting tired... It was already 2:30. I sighed. This was the last dress... It had to work. It just had to! Slowly, I revealed myself to Tai.

He looked up and froze. His mouth hung open slightly in awe, and I decided to look away. It was a beautiful, long white dress made out of a very smooth material. It was also sleeveless, but instead came with matching gloves that came up past my elbows. Tai caught himself. Blushing, he nodded. "Nice. Very nice. I think that Matt will like it..." Lost. That's how he suddenly seemed to me... I gently smiled and returned to change.

Did I hurt him more? He seemed so sad... I, to myself, hoped that he was okay... My best friend, that's who he was. I didn't know what I'd do without him... I came back out, carrying my purchase carefully. "Ready?"

"Sure..." He stood up and walked over to the clerk at the register with me.

Smiling, the woman rang up the price. $75.00. I winced. I couldn't get the dress after all... "I-I'm sorry...," I muttered softly. "I think I'd like something-"

"Here you go, ma'am!"

Looking up, I saw Tai paying for the dress. He met my confused gaze and winked. 'For you,' he mouthed, picking up the package, careful not to let it drag, and started for the door. I stood, stupefied by his actions.

~*~

"Mom!" I yelled. "Matt's going to be coming!"

"I know, Honey!" She walked up to me and gave me a reassuring hug. She had tears in eyes. "Don't be nervous, that's the key thing. Everything will be fine!"

I smiled at her. "Yeah, you're right. I mustn't worry..."

The phone suddenly rang, causing me to jump. I laughed nervously while my mother answered the call. "Hello?" She listened. "Hold on, she's right here." Smiling, she handed it to me.

I placed the phone to my ear and whimpered. Oh please, I thought frantically. Please don't let it be Matt calling to cancel! "Hey, Sora," a male voice said faintly.

I let out a sigh of relief. "Hey, Tai!"

"So, you ready for your 'big date?'" he questioned, laughing.

"Uh-huh... I guess so..." Deep down, I was as nervous as heck, but I didn't want to upset Tai.

"Well then, I don't want to tie you down! Just try to call me afterwards..."

Tai... "Sure, I'll do just that," I whispered, grinning. The doorbell chimed. Oops, that's him now. I guess I'll talk to you later!"

"Have fun, Sora...," he mumbled, hanging up instantly. I felt somewhat disappointed... like I was hoping for him to say something more... Nodding it off, I ran to the door.

"Hey there, Sora." Oh Lord, Matt looked so good!

"H-Hey Matt...," I stuttered quietly, a blush appearing on my face.

"Shall we go?" He extended an arm.

My mind was blank... I wasn't totally sure anymore... I reached out and excepted his offer. "Ready as I'll ever be."

Oh, sure, I had fun. We went to the movies and saw something from America. 'Castaway'... Yeah, that's what it was called. It was okay, and I think Matt enjoyed it himself. Always did he keep an arm slung resting on my shoulder, and I just knew that my face was burning hot. The restaurant was fancy. Oh God, you don't know the half of it! It had large statues all over the place, with picturesque waterfalls, the works. The people there wore mink and had what seemed to be millions of pieces of jewelry on them. I felt like a pauper; Matt made it seem better. We ate, danced, chatted, you know the gig, while exchanging glances when the other wasn't looking. I finally felt somewhat tranquil around him now, and my cheeks were probably less flushed... At the end of our ordeal, walking to my house, he smiled at me and claimed to have had a great time! I went crimson.

Once on my porch, he turned to me, enchanting me yet again with deep orbs of blue. "Sora... I i want you to know that I had a wonderful time."

I melted. "I know... You told me that earlier..." I felt like I was his putty to mold...

He blushed, generally embarrassed. He cleared his throat. "Oh, yeah... Anyway, I want you to know that you're a great-- superb-- friend." He paused, looking around.

"F-Friend...?" I stuttered. Crick crackle crack... There went my heart...

"Yeah...," he muttered, fidgeting slightly under the pressure. "I would still like to date and stuff, but I think of you as a friend, a close friend, at the moment... Wait a while to see what happens..."

Do NOT cry. Not a single tear. "That's fine..." I shielded my eyes.

He sighed and grinned. "Great, Sora." He hugged me suddenly, causing tears to begin to show. Without noticing the wetness forming on my face, he strode down the walkway, backwards, and waved. "See you later, Sora!" he bellowed, then glided away leaving me with a broken heart...

~*~

As soon as I made it in my room, I hurtled myself onto my tidy bed, sobbing heavily into a pillow. My heart ached; my whole world seemed as though it were nothing. My mind repeatedly tried to inform me that he still wanted to see each other and be friends, but I didn't care. I was just grateful that Biyomon was able to sleep through my rasping tears. Why? I thought. What did I do wrong? I clenched my fists and allowed the sadness envelop me.

I laid there for a while, collecting my thoughts, both my mind and heart bawling uncontrollably. Then, a voice filled my head. 'Just try and call me afterwards.' I glanced, with blurred vision, at the phone resting on my dresser. I was beginning to realize that I needed someone to talk to. Sniffling lightly, while wiping away strewn tears, I traveled to my dresser. I picked the phone up shakily and dialed.

It rang once. "Hello?"

"Tai...," I muttered, chuckling, "did you stay up and wait for me to call?"

He laughed. "Caught me!" All at once, I could make out the faint sounds of a t.v. in the background. "So, how'd it go?"

Heaving a sigh, I rasped, "Well, I had fun, as did he..." I hesitated, eyes beginning to swell up. I stifled a cry.

"Sora...? Are you alright?" he inquired, alarmed.

I held back the pain, or at least tried to. "He... He said he just wanted to be friends..." No longer could I hold in my suffering. I sobbed on the phone, sliding down the side of my dresser to the floor, bunching up. I must sound so weak to Tai... I thought. He'll probably hang up...

What I heard next startled me. He sang. The song was one that we had once used as our song of friendship... I quieted down to listen. "Every now and then, we find a special friend who never lets us down..."

I smiled, brushing away my tears, and picked up where he had stopped. "Who understand it all. Reaches out each time you fall. You're the best friend that I've found..."

I was beginning to feel better. A lot better. My life may be confusing but as long as I had my best friend, I'd be fine. I closed my eyes and sang softly with Tai, laughing and putting my heart back together.

~*~

A/N: Konnichiwa, minna. After getting all those reviews for 'Anything For You'(That's the most any of my stories have gotten so far!) asking for sequel, I decided to add this to the little series. It's more or less a love triangle between Tai, Sora, and Matt, so you get both Taiora and Sorato. *Cringes* Don't kill me, I am a pure Taiora fan... I am going to write a third one based off of Matt's POV so please be kind!! ^-^'' This story was written out first in my smallest writing, and it filled three notebook pages front and back exactly. When typed in Corel WordPerfect, it filled over nine pages... Hehe...

As for the last episode of Digimon02 in Japan... I am glad that Miyako and Ken were the official couple in the end! They look so kawaii together!^-^ And for those of you who saw the clip or the pics, so what if Sora's kid looks like Yamato's and vise versa... They were never standing close together like Miyako and Ken, so...*grins evilly* Perhaps a certain 'D' word happened between the so-called couple.... DIVORCE! ^o^ Mwhahaha.... Happens when you least expect it.... My heart bleeds... -_-' *COUGH*NOT!*COUGH* >_<

*Sighs sadly* I have been having a bad year... A friend of mine had surgery on her back not that long ago(She's doing quite fine, though.) and there has been a lot of people at my school threatening others... But now, something happened that scares me... A kid I know from Gym class committed suicide Wednesday night(March 28, 2001)... I did not find out until first block Thursday morning...(I ,along with so many others, cried) Although I didn't know him as well as some of my friends, I still knew him... Nothing ever seemed wrong, except for his poems about dying. Everyone loved him. He was the kind of person who enjoyed to make you laugh. But know he is gone. I will be writing a small story dedicated to him using one of the chosen children. Please, minna, I want you to understand that there is always a better alternative. And if you know anyone who you think is on the brink of suicide, PLEASE tell someone... Thank you...-~Angel-Chan~