Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ War Diaries: Adventures Zero-Three ❯ Injustice for All ( Chapter 23 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
War Diaries

Entry 21 - Injustice for All

By Lord Archive

Digimon and most characters in this series belong to Toei Animation Inc.,
Sensations Animation, Fox Kids and others. They are used without consent.

----------------------

Iori knew Yume was trying to cheer him up during their travels, but she was really starting to get on his nerves. She shouldn't be trying to make him happy as he was a criminal who butchered several angel digimon and she knew it. She should be condemning what he did, not feel sympathy for him.

"I've never been here before!" Yume chirped.

"Neither have I," Iori replied. Nor any other Chosen as far as he knew. Koushiro's information on the city before them was sketchy as best. This was a place that most avoided. It wasn't evil in any way, but far too lawful, if there was such a thing. The angel digimon that had guarded the gem had come from here. Unfortunately, they hadn't been warned what the threat to that gem was.

"I don't think we should go there," Armadimon admitted. "They probably won't exactly... like us."

"What would be wrong with this city?" Bakumon wondered.

"It's the Digital World equivalent to the Japanese National Judicial Archives," Iori replied neutrally. "This is where criminals are prosecuted."

Yume blinked while her face paled. "They might arrest you!"

"Maybe," Iori replied as if he didn't care. He then held up his digivice which was flashing. "There's something in the city it's reacting to. A crest may be in there." He then proceeding to lead his reluctant companions straight to the largest and most ornate building of the city.

----------------------

"Court is now in session! The honorable Super Starmon presiding!" announced Starmon, a simple gray star with arms and legs capped with plain cowboy gloves, boots and a hat, who was acting as a bailiff in the enormous courtroom. Everything in the room was made to be adjustable so that any digimon, from a petty-thieving child to a world-terrorizing Ultimate, could meet justice.

Super Starmon, a far larger and shining silver walking star with bright white cowboy boots, hat and gloves, strutted into the courtroom and immediately took the seat of head judge. The two seats next to him remained vacant even as he questioned haughtily, "What criminal has been brought to face my merciful judgement today?"

"The Digital World presents D'Arcmon, who in her cowardice abandoned her post in the face of an enemy," replied Thunderballmon, a floating ball with small arms and legs and a yellow lightning bolt emblazoned on his forehead.

"How does the defense plead?" Super Starmon asked.

Swanmon, a giant white bird, bowed her head. "Not guilty, your honor. D'Arcmon was... engaged in one-on-one combat with Vadermon."

"And why does Vadermon and herself still live? If they fought, it should've been to the death," Thunderballmon retorted.

D'Arcmon, a female angel devoid of her swords, sat quietly. Tears leaked from her eyes as she studied the ground before her, unable to look anyone in the eye.

"D'Arcmon lost more than her fight with Vadermon!" Swanmon returned. "He tortured her using his superior power to do as he wished with her!"

"I see no wounds on her," Thunderballmon sniped.

"Not all wounds are visible. He hurt her mind!" Swanmon defended.

Super Starmon banged his gavel. "That's enough! Order in my court!"

Swanmon and Thunderballmon instantly fell silent.

"D'Arcmon, do you have anything to say in your defense?" Super Starmon questioned harshly.

D'Arcmon continued to cry silently.

"Then I shall pass judgement!" Super Starmon announced.

"I OBJECT!" a voice cried out from the court's audience.

Super Starmon banged his gavel. "Order! Order in my court!"

Who had spoken up was easily determined as all the local digimon around him had moved away from him, leaving the two humans and their partners directly in the sight of the angry judge.

Iori did not back down. "I was there! I can vouch for D'Arcmon! She was taken and tortured by Vadermon!"

"Arrest that human!" Super Starmon ordered.

"I'm a witness! I should be able to speak on her behalf!" Iori protested as a Starmon grabbed him.

Armadimon held Yume and Bakumon back from interfering. "This is something Iori needs to do."

"Order! I will have order!" Super Starmon banged his small hammer repeatedly. "I do not take witness statements in my court. All that matters is duty! D'Arcmon failed in her task to defend the gem, regardless of her opponent. She should've have died protecting it. Her failure warrants death! Swanmon, your duty was to defend your client. You too have failed. HALLEY SQUALL!"

"NO!" Iori cried out as fiery rock after fiery rock smashed into D'Arcmon and Swanmon until both were no more than floating black pixels dispersing into the air.

"The human shall be tried in three days, after the damage is fixed," Super Starmon intoned. "Court is adjourned."

"By the four gods, I hope I'm not your defense attorney," the Starmon holding Iori grumbled.

----------------------

"What is up with this?!" Yume complained bitterly. "One judge and no witnesses! That wasn't a fair trial! They don't even allow visitation rights!"

Armadimon shook his head at the obvious statements the girl made.

Yume pouted. "What are we supposed to do now? Wait for Iori-sama?"

"There's nothing we can do for him right now. We have to wait for his trial and pray," Bakumon replied morbidly.

Armadimon sighed. "I suggesting going back to Babamon's house and meet up with Sayuri. We might be able to do more with her."

Yume waved her D-Terminal angrily. "Why can't she come here? This is more important than fixing a little mistake!" She then looked at her D-Terminal after it beeped. "Gee, thanks Koushiro. 'That sucks' isn't a good reply."

"We better hurry if we want to get there before sunset," Bakumon suggested.

"Fine," Yume clipped. "Let's go."

----------------------

Sayuri was tried and sore from working all day. Dealing with Yume was the last thing she had wanted. The girl had been sobbing, upset at Iori being arrested by some psycho judge and was clueless what to do about it. Not that Sayuri had anything to suggest, rather she just hugged Yume until the girl had cried herself to sleep.

Finally Sayuri had a moment of peace as she gazed into the night sky.

"That girl is your rival, is she not?" Babamon asked with amusement in her voice.

"Rival?" Sayuri returned with a blush.

"You both like that boy," Babamon told her knowingly.

"Well, yeah. But we're too young. It'll be years before anything will happen," Sayuri replied.

"Child, it's the little things that matter most in relationships, especially early on," Babamon advised. She then smirked. "And to treat one who is a rival with kindness is one of the 'little things' that'll help."

Sayuri almost laughed. "Too much of a big sister. I don't like it when someone's upset."

"I see." Babamon began to search her pocket. "You've done your part here. Tomorrow morning I suggest you take Yume back home and await the time for the trial. Being there with his friends to support him will be the best thing you can do for him now."

Sayuri shook her head. "I can't leave the Digital World just yet. We need to find our crests to deal with the evil Dark Seed Children."

Babamon pulled an item from her pocket and tossed it at Sayuri who looked at the golden necklace with deep purple a stylized image of an open hand on a shield imbedded on a crest clipped into the golden tag.

Sayuri stared at what was in her hand. "This is...."

"Your Crest of Responsibility," Babamon informed.

"Why do you have it?" Sayuri wondered.

"I held it waiting for you. I knew there would be a day you would come and prove yourself worthy of it. Had you not stayed, I would not have given you the crest and you would share in Iori's fate," Babamon intoned in a distant voice.

Sayuri blinked. "You knew this was going to happen? You saw the future? Why didn't you warn Iori?"

"Because the lad needs to place his heart on trial. Until he allows himself to come to terms with what he has done, he can not face the future," Babamon told her. "Whether he lives or dies is ultimately up to him."

"I see." Sayuri pouted. "Any hints on where Yume's crest is?"

"It is with you yet it is very far away," Babamon replied cryptically. "When Yume is ready, she will find it."

"If only I could be so sure of everything," Sayuri complained.

"Your sight is not lost, but hidden." Babamon smirked at the confused expression of the girl. "Time for good little girls to sleep."

----------------------

"My, my. Haven't you gotten yourself into quite a mess."

Iori looked up from where he sat in his prison and then hissed, "What are YOU doing here?"

Archnemon smirked at him while holding her hand to her chest defensively. "Is that any way to speak to your defense lawyer?"

"You're defending me?" Iori questioned skeptically.

Archnemon nodded. "Afraid so. Apparently no one else wanted to help you."

"So what am I being tried for?" Iori asked bitterly.

"Contempt of court," Archnemon replied simply.

"And...?" Iori pressed.

"That's it," Archnemon returned.

"Nothing about making Armadimon dark evolve? Killing all those angel digimon?" Iori almost pleaded.

"Why, no. Super Starmon considers that a favor to him. That just might get you off the hook," Archnemon replied. "It wasn't your duty to protect the gem. The guardians were supposed to do that or die trying. If you hadn't done it, he would have."

Iori punched his cell wall, causing a small crack. "Why do they even let him judge over them? His trials aren't fair!"

"Well, seems they gave him total control after an incident a few years back when he was just a Starmon. Back then there were three judges of adult level, one for each of the three types, and verdicts were decided by having two of them agreeing. There was a digimon of... questionable tastes and no one liked him. He was accused of 'hurting' baby digimon, but the vaccine and viral judges weren't convinced he was guilty. Starmon was outraged they'd let him go free. He evolved and killed the other two judges and then sentenced the digimon to death. At the time, the digimon agreed with him," Archnemon informed.

Iori's lips flattened. "I guess I can understand that, but what he did yesterday to D'Arcmon and Swanmon...."

"Is proof of his absolute authority," Archnemon finished. "That wasn't the only case to end like that. He's gotten quite out of control, but other digimon are either afraid of him or support him to a degree. Just a few weeks ago a Starmon and a Revolmon were put to death for letting a toy thief escape punishment."

Iori paled. "No... We were the ones to handle Solarmon. They didn't do anything wrong."

Archnemon laughed hollowly. "Tell that to the judge."

"Why do they let him continue?" Iori questioned.

"Well, Holy Angemon had been one of his supporters. That guy was all stuffy and does everything by the book. And when you've got two Perfects working together, there isn't much opposition that can be mustered," Archnemon replied.

"I see." Iori scowled. "You can enter my plea as guilty. I have nothing but contempt for this court."

"Thank you," Archnemon chirped. "I won't get killed this way."

----------------------

Monday may be a school day, but you wouldn't know it with the audience at Super Starmon's courtroom. The whole room was filled with humans and their digimon partners, and not all of them from Odaiba. The presence of Archnemon in her human form caused quite a commotion among them mostly for her reputation but some of the foreign Chosen were shocked to learn that she was in fact half-human. There were many local digimon as well, who mostly sat to the back and sides of the room.

Starmon, the acting bailiff, nervously called out, "Court is now in session! The honorable Super Starmon presiding!"

If Super Starmon was surprised or worried at the sight of a small army of Chosen and their digimon, he did not show it. He merely took to his seat and began the case. "What is today's case?"

Thunderballmon bowed toward the judge. "The Digital World presents Hida Iori who showed extreme contempt of court by interfering with the due process of Judge Super Starmon's verdict."

"How does the defense plead?" Super Starmon asked.

"Guilty, your honor," Archnemon replied simply and proceeded to leave the courtroom entirely, and was quickly followed by Starmon and Thunderballmon.

The audience said nothing, waiting to hear what Super Starmon had to say. Each Chosen griping their digivices tightly.

"Any last words before I execute you?" Super Starmon questioned, seemingly not noticing the events around him.

Iori glared at the digimon. "You alone decide guilt or innocence without hearing all the facts? You act as executioner? And you call yourself an 'honorable judge?' What gives you the right to decide who lives or dies?

"You have none! You are a bully throwing his strength around to do things as YOU please! I am most certainly guilty of contempt of this court and any other court you brandish your false justice! I may be guilty of letting my emotions get the better of me which led to the deaths of many innocent digimon, but I at least know that I made a mistake. I will atone for what I have done. I will get the gem back and I will do what I can to help those hurt by the loss of the digimon I killed."

Iori pointed at Super Starmon. "The one who should be on trial now is you! For the murder of a D'Arcmon who did her duty at great cost and Swanmon who was defending an innocent digimon. For the countless other digimon you've passed verdict on. Do YOU have anything to say in your defense?"

"MY defense?!" Super Starmon yelled in outrage. "Boy, this is my court! You have no right to tell me what to do!"

"Courts exist to determine the guilt or innocence of individuals to protect the community!" Iori retorted before turning the audience. "Digimon of Judicia, has Super Starmon acted to defend you or to hurt you?"

The local digimon began crying out names of other digimon killed in the court, including Ogremon, Cyclomon, Starmon, Revolmon, Angemon, D'Arcmon, Thunderballmon, Kokuwamon, Hagurumon, Patamon, Tsukaimon, Kapurimon and Tokomon.

"How many, Super Starmon? How many have you killed in your court? How many times did you ignore pleas of innocence? How many have you wrongly murdered?!" Iori once more turned to address the audience. "I ask the digimon of Judicia: for the crime of murder, how do you find Super Starmon?"

"Guilty!" the local digimon replied in unison.

"For the crime of abusing power and justice, how do you find Super Starmon?" Iori pressed.

"Guilty!" was the reply once again.

"I am the judge here, not you!" Super Starmon shouted in rage. "I now pass judgement! HALLEY-"

Blinding light engulfed the courthouse. When the light subsided, Iori held a tag in his hand with a yellow stylized image of balanced scales in it.

"This time I will do this right. I am not evolving Armadimon for myself or clouded in anger. I do it for the digimon you killed!" Iori cried out.

"Armadimon evolve!" A pillar of light surrounded the armadillo digimon. When it subsided a large yellow ankylosaur dinosaur digimon stood in his place. "Ankylomon!"

"Ankylomon super-evolve!" Light enveloped the giant dinosaur who turned to stone and grew in size. The earthen body exploded away revealing a giant silver idol. "Shakkoumon!"

While this evolution was similar as the jogressed form with Angemon, Iori immediately noted the lack of miniature wings on the back and the crown on his head was much simpler without any crosses upon it.

Super Starmon seethed. "I will abide to no more disorder in my court! I declare BOTH of you guilty of contempt of court! HALLEY SQUAL!" The giant star raised his hands and a multitude of fiery rocks zoomed straight for the idol.

Shakkoumon opened his eyes, sucking into them the fiery meteors that threatened to crush him and Iori. "Taste your own judgement. Ruling Spirit!" The metal idol's eyes once again opened, this time shooting red energy powered by the absorbed attack right back at the shocked and outraged judge.

"NO! I am justice!" were Super Starmon's final words.

"May you live up to those words in your next life," Iori prayed. He was promptly hugged by two young girls and joyful cries filled the courthouse for the first time since Super Starmon took the judge's chair.

----------------------

Yume let out a roar of a yawn.

"Having trouble sleeping?" Sayuri questioned.

Yume pouted. "Been having nightmares since Iori got arrested."

"And for some reason I haven't been able to help her with them," Bakumon added with a frown.

"Ah." Sayuri nodded.

"So what happens now to Judicia?" Yume asked, gazing over the city and happy to be leaving it.

"They'll return to the old way of judging crimes, with three judges and no threat to those protecting or prosecuting the accused," Sayuri replied. "Thunderballmon has quit entirely. He prosecuted digimon fearing for his own life."

"Ah, so it's just like court at home now," Yume observed.

Iori walked up to the girls. "Let's go home."

----------------------

Author's Notes:

It's been a while. ^^;

Finally a new part up and living up to the rules I placed on the authors of my Diaries Universe. Update once every six months or risk losing control of your series. I'll try to apply this to ALL my series for myself, that way I can get some forward motion on them.

Japanese judicial system:
Once arrested in Japan, you are guilty until proven innocent. While there are prosecuting and defense lawyers, there is no jury. It falls upon three judges to first decide if the defendant is innocent and then to decide the appropriate punishment.

Coming up next chapters:
Dark Seed Diaries 3: Masks People Wear
The Dark Seed Chosen go after the prize known as the Mask of Dreams, however that mask is in the hands of Edmonton's team.

War Diaries chapter 22: Nightmares
Yume must decipher the meaning of her horrible nightmares.