Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ War Diaries: Adventures Zero-Three ❯ Entry 22 - Nightmares ( Chapter 24 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
War Diaries

Entry 22 - Nightmares

By Lord Archive

Digimon and most characters in this series belong to Akiyoshi Hongo and Toei Animation Inc. They are used without consent.

Previous chapters have been updated. Mostly with grammar, but in a few places scenes were altered to correct for cultural and canon issues.

For Red Digivice Diaries readers: This chapter occurs days after RDD 20 and weeks before RDD 21.

-----------

Spring vacation saw the activation of two of Iori's classmates, Yume and Sayuri. Random portals opening signaled the arrival of the children Oikawa had infected with Dark Seeds as a new enemy to overcome. These Dark Seed Children coming into the power the evil spores had promised. The portals were the result of the children working to gain their own digimon partners. And with their own digimon and their own digivices, they have set out to gain even more power by hunting for dream related artifacts. To combat the Dark Seed Children's growing power, Iori and his classmates sought to find their crests to achieve Perfection evolution. Sayuri was given hers by taking responsibility for her actions, while Iori found his by placing himself to be judged. Yume has yet to find her crest.

----------------------

The shadowy alleyways were a maze. Each direction led deeper into darkness. Still, Yume ran as fast and as hard as she could. Where once the thrill of being able to use her legs freely had been a great joy, was now turned into a wish for her wheelchair as her strong arms made her faster that way on even ground. Away from what, she couldn't tell. Just that something horrible and evil was after her and it would devour her if it caught her.

Yume struggled to find a place where there was any light. Even a road would be comforting to her now. All she could see were foreboding concrete towers surrounding her, none even offering her a window to see inside in hopes of finding a person or digimon that could help her.

Where was Bakumon when she really needed her partner?

Turning down a new alley in hope of eluding her pursuer, Yume crashed into some small crates. She cursed the wooden boxes as she quickly regained her footing and continued her race toward unpromised salvation. She gave no thought to the probable pain from the likely scratches that her legs endured. She had no time to dwell on anything but fleeing.

A forced turn led Yume straight to a dead end. She would have to go back and find another route. That would bring her closer to the one who was out to get her, but she had no choice. Nervously she turned around and froze in horror. The evil being was at the mouth of the alleyway. She was trapped.

"I'm getting tired of these cat and mouse games," the evil creature spat, sounding as if spoken from two mouths, one male and the other female. She could not see the figure clearly. Just its piercing evil eyes and sickly bone-white teeth. "Tonight this chase ends! Don't you dare wake up this time!"

And Yume began to scream.

"Yume, wake up! It's the nightmare again! Please, wake up!" Bakumon pleaded desperately.

The crippled girl clutched at her rapidly beating heart. Her dilated eyes shook as they took in every aspect of her room. Reflexively, she pulled Bakumon into a fierce death grip of a hug.

"It almost had me. It was right on top of me," Yume whispered in despair. "What if I don't wake up the next time I dream?"

"You know that's impossible. Nobody dies in dreams," Bakumon tried to assure her. "Do you remember anything more from this dream?"

Yume shook her head. "Never saw it clearly. But what it said changed. It's like my dream remembers what has happened before."

Bakumon blinked. "That is weird."

Yume pouted. "And here I thought Iori coming back would end these nightmares."

"No such luck, I'm afraid." Bakumon tried to push her partner back down onto the bed. "Go get some rest. You shouldn't dream of that again."

Yume's strong arms easily defeated the pygmy-elephant's attempts. "I can't sleep after that dream." Despite her alertness, she still yawned. "I'm going to check the message boards."

"Yume..." Bakumon half-whined, half-growled, but she was ignored.

----------------------

"Are you okay?" Iori questioned as he pushed Yume towards school, their digimon trailing behind them wearing trench coats.

The girl turned in her wheelchair and gazed at him with heavy eyelids. "Yeah. I've just been having nightmares since our trip to the Digital World."

Iori frowned deeply. "What kind of nightmare?"

Yume shrugged tiredly. "I'm running through dark alleys, being chased by this evil... thing. It speaks with two voices. When it's about to catch me, I wake up."

"Hasn't Bakumon been able to help you?" Iori wondered.

"Not at all," Bakumon replied. "I haven't even been able to eat any of it."

"Do you think the dream might be caused by an outside force?" Iori asked.

Yume and Bakumon looked at each other. Their surprise at the question showed neither of them had considered that possibility.

Armadimon glanced at his partner. "You think the Dark Seed Children are attacking Yume's dreams?"

Iori nodded. "They have been chasing after dream related artifacts. They may have figured out a way to attack Yume through her dreams." And possibly block Sayuri's precognition as well, but Yume didn't need to know about that.

Yume's eyes were filled with fear. "If I am being attacked, what happens if I die in my dream?"

"I don't think you can die in a dream." Iori paused in thought. "Though do try to remember it IS a dream. Once you accept what's happening is a dream, you should be able to control it to a degree. Possibly being able to fight back."

Yume nodded shallowly. "I can try."

----------------------

"Hey, Taichi, what brings ya back to this lowly school?" Daisuke chirped, waving towards the middle school.

Taichi scowled darkly at the boy. "We need to talk."

Daisuke looked at his predecessor strangely. "You just got the news from England?"

Taichi folded his arms. "You have no idea how many weddings go on during a weekend. Not to mention having to replace flowers for morons who left arrangements out in the middle of a typhoon."

Daisuke shrugged. "Okay, so you were busy. Still, it was five days ago. And what can I say about it? I wasn't even there."

"Yes, but V-mon was. Why didn't you try to contact anyone when you had him evolve?" Taichi growled.

"Well, didn't exactly have time to do that. By the time I was able to contact him, the battle was already over." Daisuke put his arms behind his head and looked away. "He only told me he fought the Dark Seed Children. He wrote nothing about the fire department treating his wounds, let alone the news crew. By the time I learned of that, it was on television here."

"What the hell was V-mon doing in London, anyway? He's your partner. If those kids attacked you, you'd be defenseless," Taichi barked out.

"Oh, yeah, V-mon would make such a difference alone against them," Daisuke sarcastically replied. "V-mon was having dinner with Sorcerymon's family. He is her boyfriend, and they've gotten rather close."

Taichi raised an eyebrow. "London's Sorcerymon? The one whose partner died?"

"Yep." Daisuke nodded. "They started dating at Hikari's wedding reception. She was introducing him to William's family when the attack happened."

Taichi tapped his fingers against his elbows. "This is really bad timing for that. We're at the start of a new threat, one that already defeated Imperial Dramon, and your partner has gone AWOL."

"In case you've forgotten, Iori is in charge of the new team to meet that threat. We've helped out to give them more experience, but they'll be the ones to solve this," Daisuke retorted.

Taichi held up his orange D^3. "If it was solely up to them, I wouldn't have this. I don't think you'll have the luxury to just guide Iori's team like I was forced to do for yours. This seems to be a whole lot worse than what you had to deal with. Or have you already forgotten what Iori just went through? Can't forget they're out-numbered and out-gunned. The Dark Seed Children took on the London team at full force and managed to win."

"More like they retreated. Besides, we've all had our trials. Sure, we'll be around to help them out, just as you were for us when we really needed it, but when the time comes Sayuri and Yume will find the answer to the mess," Daisuke almost spoke sagely.

Taichi slapped the back of the boy's head. "Don't go with that destiny crap. I'd rather find a solution together as a group than let this get out of hand and need those two to pull off a miracle to save our asses. If that ever happens."

Daisuke scowled. "You better get to your school, Taichi. Don't want to be late."

Taichi growled and stomped off.

----------------------

"Excuse me, Mr. Yamazaki?" Sayuri called out at the end of the school day before her teacher could leave.

"Is there something you need?" Yamazaki questioned with a smile, not missing that Iori and Yume standing behind her.

Sayuri nodded. "I've been talking to my friends about dreams we've been having lately. I was wondering if you knew anything about them in general."

Yamazaki shrugged noncommittally. "Can't say I know a whole lot about them. Barely remember most of the ones I've had. Just that dreams often reflect what you're doing during the day. Some say you can see the future in dreams if you can decipher their hidden meaning. And others suggest you can take control of your dreams if you know it's a dream."

The three students all frowned at his statement.

"Nothing more you can say that might help?" Yume almost pleaded.

Yamazaki looked at her with concern. "Is something wrong?"

"I've been having recurrent nightmares. I'm being chased by something out to kill me," Yume explained.

Yamazaki nodded to himself. "If I remember right, that's supposed to mean you're running away from some sort of responsibility or from a person. That if you turn and face it, you can conquer it."

Yume frowned. "When I turned to look at it, it verbally threatens to kill me and leaps to attack just before I wake up."

Yamazaki blinked. "Okay... Well, I said I didn't know a lot about them. You should check out the library and see if they have any books that can help. If it really does become a problem for you, you may want to see a doctor."

Yume shook her head furiously. "I've had enough of doctors for a lifetime!"

Yamazaki gave out a short laugh. "If only we can get that choice. I'll see you all later."

"I guess we head for the library," Iori groused in a low voice as the teacher left the room.

Yume pouted. "You don't have to go with me. I can get the books by myself. It's my problem."

"Even if this isn't being caused by the Dark Seed Children, you need help with this. And we are a team," Sayuri told her seriously. "If you need me, just call out for me and I'll be there."

"Call for all of us, we won't let you down," Iori corrected.

----------------------

Koushiro looked ready to pound his head into his table. It would not be the first time, as the bruise on his forehead attested too. "You RODE Godzilla, calling out 'Ya Mule!?'"

"Well, Eric and Lopmon did most of the calling," Ken replied.

"WHY did you ride Godzilla?" Koushiro cried out.

"Well, it was more of a Godzilla sized Agumon, and Taichi of that world was bonded to it and he was the one to dare us to do it," Ken explained.

"You know, when I asked you to detail the trip for me, I thought it was only going to take a few days. But what you've been telling me is totally and utterly insane," Koushiro grumbled out. "What crack-whore put these worlds together, and why did he share with you? We're not even half-way done yet."

"I wish whoever chose me hadn't." Ken sighed. "It was a long, weeeeeeird trip. One I don't recommend to anyone else to go through."

Koushiro smirked. "Eric is of the opposite opinion. Apparently he had a blast."

"And added to his harem. Though he doesn't seem to realize he has one, despite some of the other world versions of him weren't exactly virgins." Ken shook his head. "There were good times, and it certainly helped me heal, having to face myself a few times."

"So, it wasn't a bad trip for you after all. Seeing those other worlds and what could've been if things happened differently in the past. Giving you a chance to help them and yourself in the process. Still sounds like a bad sci-fi show, though." Koushiro smiled slightly. "So, what happened next?"

Ken rubbed his chin. "Was that the Dalek Invasion or me dying horribly as 'Ken Blackadder?'"

Koushiro's head crashed onto the table.

----------------------

Yume's head bobbed up and down, her faced buried into a book about dreams as she sat in her bed. Her eyes grew heavier with each passing second. She struggled to stay awake. To not fall asleep when the Dark Seed Children may be lurking, ready to drag her into another nightmare.

Slowly the girl slumped backwards, the book sliding out of her hands and off the bed.


The shadowy alleyways were a maze. Each direction led deeper into darkness. Still, Yume ran as fast and as hard as she could. Where once the thrill of being able to use her legs freely had been a great joy, was now turned into a wish for her wheelchair as her strong arms made her faster that way on even ground. Away from what, she couldn't tell. Just that something horrible and evil was after her and it would devour her if it caught her.

Yume struggled to find a place where there was any light. Even a road would be comforting to her now. All she could see were foreboding concrete towers surrounding her, none even offering her a window to see inside in hopes of finding a person or digimon that could help her.

Where was Bakumon when she really needed her partner?

"I was getting tired of waiting for you."

Yume froze. From one of the alleyways ahead of her the figure emerged. How did it get in front of her? She edged backwards, preparing to turn around and run away.

"Do you honestly think you can outrun me?" the figure taunted, floating forward without moving its legs.

Yume couldn't help but step backwards. She needed help. She wanted her friends here with her more than anything. She could almost hear Sayuri's words from before. To call out to her for help and she would be there. With nothing more that she could possibly lose, she cried out, "Sayuri! Bakumon! Psychemon! Armadimon! IORI-SAMA!"

"Crying out for help won't save you. Time for you to die!" The shadowy figure leapt back as a pillar of sky-blue light erupted between it and the trembling girl. A growl escaped from its throat seeing the light pillar fade away revealing the girl's allies.

"You're really here!" Yume cheered seeing Sayuri, Iori and their digimon looking around in confusion.

Iori puzzled look only lasted a second before his eyes hardened on to the shadowy figure. "So, this is Yume's dream. Let's take care of her attacker, Armadimon."

"Armadimon evolve!" A pillar of light surrounded the armadillo digimon. When it subsided a large yellow ankylosaur dinosaur digimon stood in his place. "Ankylomon!"

"Ankylomon super-evolve!" Light enveloped the giant dinosaur who turned to stone and grew in size. The earthen body exploded away revealing a giant silver idol. "Shakkoumon!"

"I won't let you get away with hurting Yume," the floating pygmy elephant-like creature hissed. "Bakumon evolve!" A pillar of light enshrouded the little elephant. When it subsided a three-meter tall ape with yellow fur stood in her place. "Hanumon. Bone Rod!" The large ape threw her bone weapon, but the enemy merely faded into the shadows only to appear behind them.

"Don't think you can continue to escape us," Shakkoumon spat before calling out his attack, launching numerous spiked discs.

The shadowy creature seemed to float away from the attack, but discs proved to be too numerous as it received a slash to its side. "You will pay for that!" Fading once more into the darkness, it reappeared in front of Iori and slashed the boy's chest with its claw.

Before the team leader hit the ground from the surprise attack, Hanumon wrapped her muscular ape arms around the fiend. It accomplished nothing, as she was quickly overpowered and hurled bodily against a concrete wall.

"Iori-sama! Hanumon!" Yume cried out. The boy clutched at his chest, while the ape struggled to stand up. Shakkoumon seemed to waver, his power waning due to his injured partner. Her eyes then moved to Sayuri, who had yet to do anything but look at something that was in her hand. "We've got to help them! You promised me you'd help!"

"It is near, but Yume needs to find it," Sayuri breathed out, her words not sounding like they were her own.

"Sayuri!" Yume screeched, her desperation increasing as the shadowy creature assaulted Shakkoumon ruthlessly.

"I'd like to know how I have this," Sayuri told her, turning around to show a light-blue crest with a stylized image of a cloud sitting in her hand.

"What?" Yume questioned in surprise.

"Not the Crest of Dreams! I will take that!" the shadow launched itself for the girls.

"Payback," Iori spat, getting up just in time to punch the enemy with all his remaining strength.

Yume nervously reached out and touched the crest in Sayuri's hand, causing a blinding light to flash from both the object and from Hanumon.

"Payback, indeed... Hanumon super-evolve!" The ape stomped each foot deep into the ground. With a bestial yell, she stretched forward and slammed her fists hard, burying her hands into the ground. Yellow fur turned brown, ears grew several times their original size even as the rest of the body bulked out. The howl turned into a trumpet as her face rearranged to that of a very furry elephant, complete with long tusks. "Mammon! CHARGE!"

The shadowy fiend cursed viciously as the wooly mammoth stampeded straight for it. "You won't win." And the giant mammal crashed into it, continuing on until it burst through a concrete wall.

Reality literally cracked. Like broken glass, the buildings began to fall apart and the dream finally came to an end.

----------------------

Sayuri sat up from her bed with a jolt. "Psychemon, was that just a dream?"

The psychedelic-fur-wearing lizard poked her head above the foot of the bed. "You mean watching Iori and Shakkoumon fighting some shadow before Hanumon super-evolved and slammed it through a wall?"

Sayuri stared at her partner before leaping out of her bed and rushed into the main room to use her family computer. Seconds after logging on, Yume and Iori came online as well.

The girl leaned back, staring disbelievingly at the computer monitor. "They all had the same dream."

"Really?" Psychemon wondered.

Sayuri nodded slowly. "Yume has her crest, and Iori even has claw marks on his chest."

Psychemon cringed. "Ouch."

"At least they aren't the deep cuts they were in the dream," Sayuri remarked with relief in her voice. She then smirked. "Looks like we may be the last to evolve to Perfection."

Psychemon let out a sarcastic laugh. "I'd like to see her do that outside of a dream."

----------------------

Author's Notes:

After many delays and cursing of 'real life,' FINALLY another chapter. But I'm afraid there may be some delay on the next chapter as it will be more of a 'movie' in terms of length.

Next chapter: War Diaries 23 - The Great Meeting
The aftermath of the Dark Seed Children's battle against the London team was broadcast over international news. The governments must deal with damage control as the existence of digimon has become public knowledge. A United Nations meeting like no other is held, with the leaders of many Chosen and Digi-Destined teams present-- whether the kids want to be there or not.


For those following the adult series of Red Digivice Diaries, Daisuke isn't exactly being inconsistent with what he says here and 'will be' saying in a few weeks during RDD 21. While in one he calls on destiny, and the other he denies it: in both he's functionally saying 'not my fault.' He doesn't want to take the responsibility of the events in England, nor did he want to acknowledge that he might have gotten a girl pregnant. He would if he had to, but in both occasions he didn't see the need to take it.