Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ X+Y=Friendship? ❯ Past the Mission ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Whew! That sure took me a long time huh? Sorry for the wait guys. School got really tough for a while, and I got writers block. Isn't that supposed to happen in the middle of the story? Guess not in my case. Anyway, here's the second part!

---------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------

"Boys! Time to get up!" a mother yelled across the apartment. Two groans were heard coming from both rooms. She smiled and went back to bed, glad that her sons were old enough to walk to school.

Osamu rolled over onto his back. 'Back to school.' he thought. 'Oh joy.' Since his glasses were below his bed on the nightstand, he climbed down the stairs blindly. He was used to the climb by now, so that there was not longer any fear of falling down, like he had done so many times in the past.

Fumbling around for his glasses, his mind started wondering. 'If only I can have five more minutes.' he thought'Man, I wasn't kidding when I told Ken the summer had gotten to me. Sheesh I'm lazy.' Finally finding the stupid things, Osamu slipped them on and watched to world come into focus.

"Osamu! Are you up?"

"Yeah Mom!" he yelled back to her. Yawning, he flipped on the light and padded over to his closet. Most of the clothes in his closet were hooded shirts. Hooded sweatshirts, hooded t-shirts, etc… That was his favorite thing to where. He didn't know why, it wasn't like it was fashionable or anymore comfortable that the other things he wore, he just liked them. But unfortunately, his school was a private school. And that meant dress codes. Boring and not to mention ugly, gray uniforms.

Grabbing the gray suit that was hanging neatly in his closet, he sleepily walked over to the bathroom. After finishing his morning routine, he stared at is reflection in the mirror. Neat, but chaotic at the same time, spiky blue hair, glasses, thin figure, violet blue eyes, the list went on and on. Most people considered him perfect, for even his teeth were straight and he'd never had braces in his life. He was also what some girls would call attractive, even if he was eleven.

Yawning again, he walked into the kitchen to find his younger brother eating burnt toast. "Hey Ken." he said "What happened with the toast?"

"Don't have a clue." Ken answered, his mouth full of bread crumbs. "This was sitting on the table when I came in here. At least it is better than nothing."

"True," Osamu said. "Excited about school starting again? You'll be in the 3rd grade this year. That's cool. What teacher do you have?"

"Kouzoumi Amiti, I think." Ken told him.

"I remember her. She's really nice, but I'll warn you, she's strict. But if you're on her good side, she'll be your best friend. Just don't cause her any trouble and turn in all your work. That's how you get on her good side."

"I see. I'm going to try better this year, hopefully I'll make my goal." Ken said, eyes suddenly attracted to the floor.

"All you really got to do is do your homework as soon as you get home from school." Osamu advised him. "Then we wouldn't have this 'I forgot to do my homework.'."

"Easy for you to say." the nine year old said. " You're a genius."

"That has nothing to do with whether or not your a smart person." Osamu told him. "Just try better this year. You have just got to apply yourself. That's all. Well Ken, it really has been great talking with you, but I've got to go. Are you gonna wait till Mom gets up, or are you coming with me?"

"Can I go with you? Please?" Ken asked, his eyes begging.

His brother smiled. "Come on Kenny-boy. Lets go."

---------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------

Sara wondered awkwardly around Tamachi Elementary school. One could tell just by looking at her that she was a outsider, for she absolutely did not look Asian. Most of the people had black or some kind of dark hair, so even blue, and she had brown with natural blonde streaks. Another thing, she didn't speak Japanese. She had been told by the principal that most of the teachers spoke English. That made her feel a little better but not much. 'Why couldn't I have just gone to a school in Mexico. I can at least get by there. Here... I don't know...'

As Sara daydreamed, she didn't realize that she was walking straight into the path of another student, who was also not paying attention. The girl and Sara collided and caused the other girl to drop her book. "Sorry." Sara mumbled, metally slapping herself, for she was sure that the girl could not understand her.

The blonde girl collected her books and looked at Sara. She had a confused look on her face. "Nihongo o hanashimasu ka?" the girl asked Sara

It was now Sara's turn to be confused. "What?" she asked.

The blonde smiled. "I didn't think so." she told Sara in plain English.

Sara was surprised. "Do you speak English?"

"Hai, I mean yes." the girl said. "My name is Matuso Itaria. And yes my name does mean the country I was born in. I take it your the new exchange student."

"Yes I am." Sara told her. "My name's Sara Adams."

"Dozo yoroshiku." Itaria said. She laughed at Sara's confused face. "It means 'pleased to meet you.'."

"Nice to meet you too." Sara said "Hey would you mind helping me out a bit? I don't know my way around here."

"Sure." Itaria said. "I'll introduce you to people too. I'll bet its hard to come to a different country huh?"

Sara nodded. "You bet. I don't speak Japanese at all."

Itaria smiled. "So I noticed. Where are you from? America I assume."

"You assume right." Sara said. "I live in the state of Oklahoma. In a little town. The population is chickens." Itaria laughed. "No, really. There are about 33 people there and the rest are chickens."

"Strange." Itaria said. "So, do you know anyone here?"

"Well, do you count?" Sara asked. Itaria shook her head. "No." Sara looked at the mob of people.

"Well, Sara." Itaria said, stopping by a row of lockers. "Here's where your locker is." She looked at the name tags on the lockers and smiled. "Look who you got a locker next to."

Sara looked, but was confused. The tags were in Japanese. Itaria noticed. "Sorry, I forgot. The person is Ichijouji Osamu. He's a child prodigy." Sara stared at her. "Really, I'm not kidding. He's kinda cute too. Anyway, hey here he comes. Well, got to go. My lockers is over by the third graders." She sighed "See you in class."

"Bye." Sara said quietly. That girl liked to talk, she figured. As she turned from her locker to go down the hall, she bumped into someone for the second time that day.

"Gomen nasai." the boy said and started collecting his books.

"Um... Sorry?" Sara said, unsure of what the boy said. He looked up and Sara found herself looking into two violet/blue eyes behind his lenses. He nodded.

"Its okay." he said. "Your the girl from America right? The one the Akamiya's took in?"

Sara smiled and nodded. "Thats right. You speak English?"

"Well, what do you think I'm speaking?" the boy said sarcasticly. "Yes I can."

Not sure whether or not to be offended by the boy's sarcasticness, Sara asked him something else. "Do most of the people in Japan speak English?"

The boy shook his head. "No, not all of them. Some of them do though. I just happened to teach myself. It comes in handy for the reporters."

"The what?" Sara asked.

"Reporters." the boy reapeated. After looking at Sara's once again confused face, he went on. "You don't watch TV do you?"

"Whats the point. I can't understand a word they are saying." Sara told him, tucking a piece of stray hair out of her face. "Why?"

"Because you would know what I mean by 'reporters'." the boy said. "Just watch it sometime, whether you understand it or not. You'll probley see me on there. Anyway, I've got to get to class. So if you would excuse me, I have to go."

"Wait!" Sara said, before he could walk to far off. "Could you show me where my class is? I'm completly lost."

The boy looked down at the paper with her classes on it. "Sure. Its by mine anyway. Your in the lower class of math huh?"

"There are two?" Sara asked following the violet eyed boy.

The kid nodded. "Yeah, one for people who are new, like you, or people who don't understand it very well. I'm in the upper class. Its a bit more advanced than the one your in."

"I see." Sara said. They walked in silence the next minute or so. Until the boy stopped.

"Well, here's you class. Have you met Matuso Itaria yet?" Sara nodded. "Good, she's in your class. You'll get along with her well. Bye." And with that, the violet eyed kid walked off.

As Sara walked into the classroom her mind wondered. 'Well, this has been an interesting morning.'

---------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------

By the time that school was ending, Sara was about ready to say that she quited. Nothing had gone right today, starting with the third hour teacher anounceing that she was not going to speak English. That made a heck of a time for both Sara and Itaria, for Itaria had to translate for her. Sara walked into the class room and collapsed into a chair. The teacher stood up infront of the classroom. "Konnichiwa." she greeted.

"Konnichiwa," the class choursed.

The teacher smiled at them. She was a young woman, no older than 25. "My name is Kate Williams. I am a new teacher here. I used to live in America but I moved here during the summer. I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you. Now if you would be so kind as to stand up and introduce yourself and tell a little about you when I call your name. Since this is an English class, I would appricate it if you would do your best to speak English. If you can't thats okay. Sara Adams."

Sara, despite her age, almost cursed under her breath. Why, oh why did she have to be first? "Um.. Hi. My name is Sara Adams. I'm a exchange student here from America."

"Would you tell us a little about yourself Sara?" Mrs. Willams asked.

I thought that's what I just did. Sara thought to herself. Oh well. "Okay... I like singing, writing, I talk alot, and I love music."

"What's your favorite band?" a black headed girl asked.

"A*Teens, I guess." Sara said. "I really don't have one. I like alot of them."

"Do you have any siblings?" Itaria asked with a glint of mischif in her eye. She knew perfectly well that Sara wanted to sit down. She smiled sightly. Dang her.

"Yes. I have one sister. She's two years younger than me." Sara said. "Her name is Kara."

"Thats cool." Mrs. Willams said. "You can sit down now Sara."

Mrs. Willams continued to go through the list. When she reached the R's the door to the classroom opened. Sara gasped as the boy she had met earlier that day stepped in. "Sorry I'm late. Nakai-san held me late."

"Do you have a note?" Mrs. Willams asked. The boy walked up to her and handed her a piece of paper. She read it than nodded. "Thank you... whats your name?"

"Ichijouji Osamu."

"Thank you Osamu." Mrs. Willams said. "Would you please take a seat next to... Sara isn't it?"

Sara nodded. The boy walked over and sat down next to her. "Hello again." he said.

"Hi." Sara said. "Your Ichijouji Osamu? Itaria told me about you."

"Yes. What did she tell you?"

"That you were really smart and stuff. " As she said this Osamu rolled his eyes. "Go figure." he mumbled under his breath.

"What is that supposed to mean?" Sara asked him. "I think that's really cool."

"Yeah well, you would, wouldn't you?" he asked looking at her. His eyes had a look in them that sent chills down her spine.

"Sorry." she said. "I didn't know you took it so personally."

"Well," Osamu said, looking down at the paper that Mrs. Willams had begun to hand out. "I do. I don't really like to talk about it okay?"

"Okay..." Sara said. She decied to shut up before she made him even more angry. The paper that the teacher had handed out was just a quiz sheet on what you already knew about English. Sara filled in the boxes and looked over at Itaria. Even thought the girl spoke English, she was getting stuck on some of the harder questions. She looked to her left at Osamu and was surprised not to see him there. Sara looked up and saw him handing in his paper. She stared at him as he sat back down.

"What?" he snapped.

"Nothing," Sara said. "I was just surprised you handed the paper in so fast. I mean I live in America and you still beat me. Half the kids in here aren't even half way done."

"English is easy to me." Osamu replied simply. "Don't stare at me like that. When you speak about five other languages, this is nothing."

"You speak five different languges?" Sara asked, her eyes widning. "Wow. Cool."

"I guess." Osamu said. 'Greek gods this girl is annoying.' he thought. 'Five more minutes till 3:05. Thank the Lord.'

The bell rang and the kids all jumped and collected their bags. "Hey Itaria?" Sara said. "Could you help me."

Itaria was mumbling to herself in Japanese. "What? Oh, sorry. What do you need help with?"

"Well, do you happen to know how to get to Tamachi T.M?" Sara asked. "Thats the apartment buliding I live in. Its not far from here."

"No actually I don't." Itaria said. "Why don't you ask Ichijouji? He lives in that apartment building."

"No thats alright.' Sara said. "I think I've bothered him enough today. Is he always that snappy?"

"Thats Ichijouji for you." Itaria said. "People have turned him that way though. They tease him alot, for being famous you know. But everyone who has actually made friends with him say that he's really nice. Just got to get to know him I guess. Anyway, you'll have to ask someone else. Sorry."

After asking about five people, she came across an older boy who could direct her where she wanted to go. Sara ran for most of the way, until she noticed the blue headed person infront of her. She slowed down to a walk, keeping her distance from Osamu.

But Osamu could sense that he was being followed by someone other than his little brother. He turned around to see the girl from class following him. He groaned. She was the last person he wanted to see at that moment. "Whats the matter Osamu?" Ken asked him.

"Nothing Ken." Osamu said, turing back around. The girl seemed to notice that Osamu was not in the mood for her and kept her distance. Osamu continued walking, noticing all the way that the girl was following him. When he arrived at his apartment building, he was surprised to see that the girl followed him into the elevator. "You live here too?"

Sara nodded. "Some one just told me to follow you and I did. You led me here. Thanks."

"Yeah well." Osamu said, a slight sneer on his face. Sara noticed his bad mood and didn't speak to him for the rest of the way. As the elevator came to a stop on her floor, Osamu watched her leave. 'Thank you God.' he thought, glad to get her away from him.

---------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------

The next week was very hard for Sara. Not getting some of her assingments in was a problem, because she didn't understand them, or doing them in English, where that was forbiddin in one class. Sara wished that she was back in Oklahoma where she knew the languge and could get along with the people. 'Why did I ever want to do this?" she asked herself. As she arrived at English class she took the last empty seat, which was, to her bad luck, next to Ichijouji Osamu. The boy had done nothing but glare at her since that first day at school, and she avoided him as much as possible. Itaria turned around and gave her a pitied look.

"Good afternoon children." Mrs. Willams said as she stood up in front of the class. Her bright, cheerful attitude almost alway's brightend Sara's day, no matter how much of a rut she was in. "How is everyone today?"

"Fine." the class choursed.

"Well, thats good. At least we don't have a class room full of duds, right?" she asked. The class smiled at her. "Today, we will be doing a packet of papers. You can work with a partner if you would like. If each of you would please come pick up one."

As Sara made her way to the class, she found Itaria. "Next to Ichijouji, huh?" Sara nodded. "I pity you. Something has seriously got that boy in bad mood."

"Want to work together?" Sara asked.

"No thanks." Itaria told her. "I work alot better by myself. Anyway, why do you need to work with anyone. Your a native speaker to English!"

Sara laughed as she picked up one of the packets. "True." As she came back to her desk, she noticed that alot of people had suddenly crowded around her table. Osamu was in the middle of it all, looking slightly annoyed. Sara sat down and looked at her paper. 'This is such an easy class. Well, at least I can pass one.'

"Hey do you know the answer to number three?" one girl asked her friend.

"No. Hey Ichijouji, whats the answer to number three?"

When Osamu remained silent, the girl leaned over the table and look at his paper, while copying it on her own. All the other kids noticed her doing this, so they followed her example. Osamu was looking like he had just about had enough. When the fith person he caught cheating off him, he slammed his pencil down, making everyone jump. He gathered his belongings and walked up to the teacher. Mrs. Williams class room was connected to another, kind of like a tech-ed building. Osamu asked her quietly if he could go in the other room to work. The teacher nodded.

With Osamu gone, the kids took it upon themselves to cheat off the next person who could speak English well, Sara. This started to bother Sara, so she did the same Osamu did, left the room. As she walked into the next room, Osamu looked up. "What? Come to cheat off me too?" he asked as she sat down.

"Why would i need to cheat off you? I'm from America, remember?" Sara said, amazed that he would even consider her doing that.

"Yeah, well." Osamu said. " Being able to speak English never stopped anybody else, why sould it stop you?" he asked.

"Because I'm not like that?" Sara said.

"Thats what they all say."

"What in the heck is your problem?" Sara asked him, throwing her pencil down. "I've tried to be nothing but nice to you. Why are you such a jerk?"

"Jerk!" Osamu yelled at her. "Jerk! Okay, fine, I'll tell you why I'm a jerk. Because all my life its always been like this. People wanting me to do things for them, people praising me. Its alway 'Osamu this,' and 'Osamu that'. I never hardly have any free time, I'm always on TV, or doing some stupid, worthless, interveiw, and I never have time for me! I hate that they take advantage of me. Thats why I'm a 'jerk' as you called me." Osamu took a deep breath and glared at the floor He had to get ahold of himself.

His outburst silenced Sara. "I'm sorry." she said. "I didn't know."

"Yeah well now you do." Osamu said. He collected his things, and for the second time that hour, left the room. Sara sat there in silene as he exited. She really couldn't blame him fro being mad, she would be too if she were in his place. But that still was no right to be mean to people. "Stupid kid." she muttered to herslef, childisly.

---------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ichijouji!"

Both of the brothers turned to see a plump little teacher running towards them. Osamu groaned inwardly. It was his math teacher. "Yes, Izumi-san?"

"I have a favor to ask of you." Izumi asked him.

'Like thats new.' "What is it?" he asked her politly, despite his inward feelings.

"Well, I was talking to the teacher of the lower math class, Toumi-san, and she said that one of her students is needing help in math. I would like to know if you would tutor her."

"Why not." Osamu said, his spirts dropping at once. He was hoping that it was just an extra credit assingment, but this was even worse. He hated helping people. It was no the helping he hated, it was them asking him for help, the cheating off him. "Who is she?"

"I've got the name here." Izumi told him. She handed him a small piece of paper. "Thank you so much Ichijouji. Anyway, I've got to go. Thank you again!"

Osamu waved goodbye to her and looked down at his younger brother, who was waiting by his side. "Ready to go Ken?"

The eight year old smiled. "Yep! Who are you helping, nii-san?" he asked, his face curious.

Osamu shrugged and opened up the piece of paper. When he saw the name on it, his heart almost stopped.

'Sara Adams'

---------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, so who was surprised at the end.

Ken and Rose: Not us.
You two shut up! I was not asking either of you. 100,000 Whose Line is it Anyway points to whoever can figure out what Itaria's name means and the Japanese in the script.

And always, please reveiw!