Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Zone Diaries ❯ Entry 02 - Innocent One ( Chapter 2 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
Innocent One


By: Theodore 'Blitz' Leung


blitzbit@hotmail.com


Disclaimer: I don't own Digimon. Toei Animation Inc. does. All original characters and Digimon introduced in this series of fics belong to me or other respected authors. Please ask for permission if want to use them. This fic is based within Lord Archive's Diaries universe, and is written with permission. Thank you.


I smile, I cheer, I keep my head up. They would say I'm just high on happiness. I prefer to think of myself as an optimisit. Many would wonder what that meant, others would ask if I even knew what I just said. I guess that's what they think of those my age.

~Frederick Sean Frayn

* * * * * *


He kicked his legs idly, laying on his stomach, propped up on his shoulders, watching the T.V. screen with interest. The young boy was tiny, only 4'4" tall, but showed within his eyes maturity beyond his years.

"And today's top story: Cummer Valley Middle School terrorized after a reported 'monster attack'," the reporter announced, standing near a scene with toppled cars and destroyed properties. However, to the boy's eyes, the school remained relatively untouched. "No one can prove the existence of these monsters, though the staff and students of the school adamantly speak of this attack. Whatever happened to these so-called monsters is unknown."

The T.V. shut off quickly, leaving a black screen for the boy to stare at for a brief moment.

"Monster attack? Outrageous," a female voice remarked from behind. The boy rolled onto his back, looking up towards the female figure. "Do you believe that, Frederick?" He glanced towards the screen once more, before turning to face her.

"As much as I'd like to agree, mom, I feel there's a strange hint of truth within the reporter's words," Frederick answered. She rolled her eyes, carrying the basket of laundry to the living room and settling down on the couch, preparing to sort the recently cleaned clothing.

"Give me proof of their existence, and then I might believe it," she spoke bitterly, yet hesitantly. Frederick sat up, gazing at his mother, perplexed by her attitude. He understood his mother's need for proof, being a scientist, but to almost hesitate…it was unlike her.

He decided to ignore it, seeing his mother absorbed in the laundry, sorting and folding articles of clothing, placing them onto the table afterwards. Climbing to his feet, he headed to his tiny room, shutting the door behind him. He bathed himself within the darkness of the room for a moment, before flicking on the light switch, flooding the room in light. Clambering onto his desk beneath the window, he looked out towards the night sky. Down twelve stories below were the streets, its lights illuminating the night sky. The plaza sat at the merge of the major intersections, mostly closed except for the Mac's, Harvey's, and Swiss Chalet situated there. He followed the western road, Cummer, leading towards the school reported to have been attacked by monsters. As much as he liked to believe the fictions nature of monsters, his heart ached for some truth in those words.

"Snap out of it, Frederick, you're becoming irrational," he told himself, crawling off the table and settling down in the chair, leaning back for a moment, gazing towards the moon from the apartment complex. Wanting to distract himself, he reached into his school bag, removing a grade five math textbook. Sliding the notebook out next, he reached for a pencil within the assortment of writing utensils in a can. He began to drown himself within the math, clearing his mind from monsters…

* * * * * *


Frederick Sean Frayn, age ten, fifth grade student attending Finch Public School. He currently wore blue shorts and a matching coloured T-Shirt. The school day was cancelled, the municipality pronouncing that area of the city hazardous until an in-depth investigation was completed. However, an advisory basically placing everyone within the affected area on house arrest was ignored by this young boy. Instead, he was at the scene of the crime, first hand looking upon the destruction wrecked by the monsters. Though the area was sealed off, there was no sign of any activity within the vicinity. He signed softly, hoping for more signs of life on a scene of supposed 'on-going-investigation', despite the fact he was travelling illegally.

He turned away in disappointment, only to find a young girl across the street, sitting on a bench near the playground there. Frederick watched on curiously, surprised to see someone else out here. He approached her cautiously, wondering what she was doing. He was surprised to find her typing on a laptop computer in her lap, and even more surprised to see that she was possibly no older than he was.

As he drew closer, he began to notice her features more: shoulder length blue hair tied back into a pony tail. Her emerald eyes gazed down towards the screen, intent on her work. The white blouse and skirt she wore, both embroiled with gold lace, gave off an aura of innocence. Yet, the clear distinguishing feature on her was the silver bracer on her left arm. On the inside section of the bracer was an LCD screen, spreading the length of the item. At the wrist of the item was a small slot, as though something could be inserted, but what eluded the boy.

A cat-like growl surprised him as he was close, within arms reach of the girl. She quickly looked up, a hand placing on the small, white, ball-shaped item on her shoulder. The thing had small cat ears and it twitched as though it were alive. Much to Frederick's surprise, it was alive, growling once again, the eyes of it opening and glaring. He paused for a moment, but did not step back, only locking his gaze towards the female's eyes, as she did the same. They gazed at each other, as though bound by some strange fate.

"It's cute," Frederick remarked, smiling sincerely, stroking the tiny animal against the cheek with a finger. It growled again, biting at his finger. Though it stung, Frederick shrugged it off, finding the attack cute in a strange way.

"Excuse me…" the girl spoke softly, closing her laptop and standing up, looking away from the boy. She stood a good two inches taller than he. "She doesn't like the attention…" she continued, bowing her head apologetically. "I'm sorry, but if you'll excuse us, we'll be going now…" With those words, she left quickly.

"B-But…?" Frederick spoke, blinking in surprise by her sudden retreat, reaching out with a hand for her, but by then, she was already far away from the park. Slowly, the young boy curled his hand, sliding it back to his side, watching the girl run off. "Who are you…?" he wondered.

"Hey, Frederick!" a female voice shouted. He jumped with a startle, turning around to see a more familiar face walking towards him. The young boy smiled, waving a hand to greet the new comer.

* * * * * *


"So, who was the girl?" Kayrina asked, leaning back against the park bench. Her school bag lay between her legs, though it appeared heavier than usual. Frederick gazed towards the direction the mysterious girl took flight towards.

"I wish I knew, but she seemed afraid…" the small boy answered, returning his attention towards Kayrina. He noticed her gaze was towards the torn up parking lot of her school. "Do you know what happened…?"

"Of course I do, I was there after all…" Kayrina told herself silently, watching the war zone she witnessed only the other day. "A monster…a Digital Monster…for some reason…but he wouldn't believe me, it's too farfetched to believe. But if anyone…"

"Kayrina…?" Frederick whispered, breaking the female from her trance. She gazed towards him, blinking for a moment, regaining her composure. Knowing Frederick had her attention completely, he continued. "You knew what happened here, that's why you called me." She nodded slowly.

"Despite his age, he's probably more mature than I am…I think he'll understand…" Kayrina thought, watching that naive and innocent smile on his face. "And though his optimism may seem childish, that mixture of maturity and childishness be may just right for this fairy tale…"

"Kay…it's getting stuffy in here…" a voice groaned, muffled. The bag between her legs began to jump, shifting for a moment as the zipper became undone from within. In the next instant, a lizard head popped out of the bag, gasping for air, and surprising Frederick. "Yeah!" he exclaimed, stretching his tiny limbs out, before his eyes fell upon Frederick. "Ummm…hi!"

* * * * * *


"So…this is a Digimon…" Frederick concluded, patting the red lizard Digimon known as Tricemon on the head. It lay snuggled in Kayrina's lap, almost like a cat, just more reptilian. "And he was involved in yesterday's incident?" Kayrina nodded, looking down at the Digimon.

"He says he's my partner…but neither of us knows what it means…" the female added, stroking Tricemon's back gently. It shivered, rather enjoying the touch.

"A Digital Monster…our parents would have a field day with something like that…" Frederick commented, not exactly smiling, but his voice still cheerful.

"Yeah…they would…" Kayrina replied softly, leaning back and closing her eyes tightly. She recalled when she first met Frederick: it was at a small gathering where all the scientists and researchers gathered together, to meet their co-workers. Not many children were present, in fact, she only recalled there being four at the party. There was a pair of siblings who sat in the corner, the older brother consoling his younger sister. She was crying, pained by leaving her previous location. However, the one person who caught his attention was a blond haired boy waiting in a different corner, but was smiling, for some strange reason.

"There are things just out your control, there's no use worrying about those things," he told her at that party, something she didn't expect the, then, seven year old child to say. They stayed in contact often afterwards, living not too far from each other. Though they weren't exactly close, they confided with each other, almost like siblings they never had.

"Too much of a field day…" Frederick spoke softly, still watching over the small Digimon. "I don't think it would be very pleasant for your partner if they found out…" Kayrina nodded in agreement, eyes still closed.

"Hey…" Tricemon spoke softly, catching the attention of the pair. He leapt onto the ground, looking up towards the sky, behind the school.

"What's wrong, Tricemon…?" Kayrina asked, gazing down towards the Digimon for a moment, before following his gaze towards the clear sky. Frederick did the same.

In the next instant, a sphere of energy blasted towards the sky, barely passing over the corner of the roof and sailing overhead the trio, who could only watch in awe. After a brief moment, it dissipated, leaving a clear sky once more.

Without any other incentive, Kayrina broke into a run, to determine the source of the attack. Tricemon was quick to follow, drawn by the same impulsive thought that struck Kayrina. Frederick was taken by the pretty light show for a moment, and by the time he realized Kayrina's move, he was far behind. He ran as fast as his young legs could take him, trying to catch up.

* * * * * *


They turned to corner, only to have a cloud of dust engulf them. Both Kayrina and Tricemon covered their eyes, the dust storm passing by quickly. Once safe, they opened their eyes, only to see a cloud of fragments floating upwards from a crater, the sight familiar to them.

"Wha-What…?!" Frederick exclaimed, surprised, and pausing behind Kayrina. She glanced back towards him, the first time seeing such surprise from the young boy.

"F-Frederick…" another, soft voice, spoke out nearby. A trio of eyes glanced down at the ground in front of them, only to see a black bear cub laying on his butt. Frederick knelt down, gazing towards the emerald eyes of the cub, small, almost the size of a kitten. The ruby claws glistened in the light, showing their sharpness, yet it emitted no fear. The scared glimpse of the bear cub quickly turned into a smile, leaping towards Frederick. "I finally found you, Frederick!" it exclaimed within the safety of his arms.

"A-Are you a Digimon…? And…did you do that…?" Frederick asked, pointing towards the crater, but still watching the tiny animal.

"Y-Yes…but I didn't do it…" it answered, gazing towards the crater, the cloud completely evaporated. "She did…" it spoke softly, pointing with a claw. They looked up, following the ruby claw, seeing a pale skinned, human female who was hidden behind the cloud before. She stood over six and a half feet tall, wearing a black, sleeveless vest of armour and a metallic, armoured skirt that hung down to her knees. Slung under her right arm was a large cannon, pointed towards the crater. Her head looked towards them, crimson eyes watching them intently, shoulder length white hair finally setting after the resulting blast of wind from, what was most likely, her attack. Her right arm fell to her side, the cannon dissipating in a brilliant flash of light. She stepped away from the sight of the battle, turning her back towards the Humans and Digimon.

"Wait!" Kayrina yelled out, though the large female paid no heed to the words of the young female. Instead, she continued only, walking past another girl who was also apparently watching the battle.

"It's you…" Frederick whispered, recognizing the other spectator as the same girl he tried to talk to before. Her eyes remained shut, her laptop open and held in the palm of her right hand. Without saying a word she closed her portable computer and turned around, following in the wake of the larger human.

Kayrina made no other attempt to stop them, only to watch them disappear once more.

* * * * * *


Kayrina and Frederick sat back on the park bench, smiling as they watching Tricemon and the cub, revealing his name as Catavamon, play, chasing each other around the park bench.

"They're like little kids," Kayrina commented, enjoying the sight of the Digimon laughing and playing without a care in the world.

"So, I have a Digimon partner now, I wonder what it means," Frederick questioned out loud, though no one could answer.

"I want to know who that girl is…" the other remarked, gazing out towards where the mysterious girl headed towards. She noticed the mountains of the Digital Zone in the distance.

"There's no use thinking about it now," Frederick spoke, returning his attention to the playful Digimon, smiling. "The answer will be revealed in time…we just have to wait." Kayrina nodded, agreeing.

"Yet…my mind can only linger on such thoughts…" she told herself, but also taken by the atmosphere radiated by those smiling around her. She had to smile as well, letting her mind rest, even if only for a brief moment in her life, leaning back and closing her eyes, bathing in the light of the sun.

Fin