Doctor Who Fan Fiction ❯ A Growing Madness ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Doctor Who and its accoutrements are the property of the BBC, and we obviously don't have any right to them. Any and all crossover characters belong to their respective creators. Alas no one makes any money from this story, and it's all done out of love for a cheap-looking sci-fi show.
Chapter 2

Huge underground caverns stretched for miles. Rough-hewn caves dotted the walls of the vast spaces like some subterranean rookery. No light got down this far, save the natural cold phosphorescence of some mineral deposits.

Black light was beamed at intervals, transforming dull minerals into a rainbow fantasy of hidden colors. Oranges, ghostly greens, and reds shone out in the purple hued environment. White appeared phosphorescent purple, and blacks the darkest shade of violet. No normal light existed down here to show the true colors of this world.

Thousands upon thousands of Tetraps fluttered amongst the spires and stalactites. Aside from the alien environment, it seemed like a normal bustling population. Tetrap markets sold Tetrap plasma in squirt bottles. Tetrap males and females bustled to and fro from work to cave home. Tetrap babies clung close to their mother's oily breasts and suckled Tetrap milk. Except when everyone landed, they fastened upside down.

To a Tetrap, there was no sky. Human notions of up and down were not applicable. Their entire moon was honeycombed with similar underground cities. Only when they needed to hunt did they venture to the surface.

Yet, this civilization had a ruler. A great scientist who had brought their planet domination and the marvels of science. As before they flapped to their halls of leaning, but with a difference. Now science was a part of the curriculum. Strange new plants and creatures thrived on the planet's surface above. Tetrap scientists and technicians toiled away to produce devices to make life simpler.

But their lives were incredibly more complex. In one generation they'd graduated from living in caves, hunting bats to stabbing computer keys and sucking refined plasma. Such a quick transition did not come without a price.

A price paid to the Rani.

How cleverly they'd absconded her from Lakertia. Yet, how cleverly she'd plotted against this contingency. She well knew they'd bite the neck that fed them. And wove her counter measures accordingly. She'd given them their trinkets in exchange for her freedom. And it worked well. What better place to base her operations than a subterranean moon hurtling around a gas giant in some obscure star system"

Clad in scarlet, she rested hands upon slender hips. Allowed herself a smile of satisfaction. It had taken much time and energy to resume her research after the Doctor foiled her plans on Lakertia. But she'd learned from the experience. There would be no more mistakes. No more Loyhargil or Helium Two. From now on, it was biogenetic.

She'd courted with Dastari and the Third Zoners. Learned their precious techniques. Flirted with the opportunity of enslaving androgums, but abandoned that plan. They were simply too stupid to serve as good help. Too driven by their basic appetites. Yes, they possessed the necessary strength and energy, but they were obsessed with pleasure. Too much like the Lakertians. Genetic augmentation failed miserably.

The Tetraps were another story. They were intelligent enough to understand her science, yet not so driven by basic lust. A Tetrap could appreciate what technology brought.

Until she heard of the Mantissans. A race that manipulated its own genes to evolve. She just had to get her hands on one. Such a race was developing time travel and means of temporal manipulation beyond machines like a TARDIS. Some were rumored to have woven time travel ability into a psionic power akin to teleportation.

Carefully had she researched the more humanoid races. Their genes were easier to manipulate. Normal Mantissans were just too difficult to achieve what she wanted. As soon as she could change them, they'd adapt to change her programming.

But she'd done her research. Like the Time Lords, there were renegades from Genome society. One such person came to her attention when she landed on Mantissa. A young scientist named Fiona Vitreum. She taught telepaths to use their powers. And she had an insatiable hunger for science.

A hunger that the Rani exploited. Innocent, Vitreum became a good assistant. Tetrapbyria was fast becoming the center of the known academia. As a research center and arising galactic power.

Vitreum, one time assistant to the Rani, looked up from her console. Miserably she glanced at the oily muzzles around her. They all hung upside down in relation to her frame of reference. She sat up, pulling her violet sash with its metallic pins across her chest. Brushed off her violet quilted jacket. The white streaks in her hair glinted purple under the ultraviolet light. Luckily, it didn't hurt her eyes.

"Mistress Rani wishes you well, and gives you this gift of her affections," hissed Yettab, his tongue flicking between yellow fangs. In his claws he held a microcomputer bracelet, identical to the Rani's.

Slowly Vitreum reached for the bangle. Yettab slipped it over her thin wrist. "Ow!" she cried, feeling tiny pricks into her skin. Twisting the bracelet, she could not remove it, for it bonded molecularly to her epidermis. Just like the headpiece she always wore, she could not remove the device.

"Now you cannot leave us," he said.

"Where would I have to go"" she asked him, sadly. "it's my own fault this. Always messing things up for people."

She shuddered under the soft caress of a tongue against her cheek. Shivered as she half expected the tip to penetrate and hurl her into paralysis. Yet he was toying with her, as a cat is toyed with when its owner dangles yarn before its pouncing claws.

It was a psionic nullifier. Vitreum despaired as her psionic link crumbled. Perhaps it was just as well. If Callom couldn't find her, he'd have the sense to stay away and not be recaptured.

In her mind she saw him, frail and weak. Yet brave beneath the human frailness. He'd give his life to save hers, such was human self-sacrifice. She had a responsibility for his safety, and took it upon herself to ensure his escape. It was she who bundled him into the long-range transporter, urging him to teleport. To her terror she saw him dematerialize, only to fail to reappear to the coordinates she'd set.

The Rani sighed at the loss of her experiment. An anti-escape device was triggered, hurling the occupant of the chamber into hyperspace. It was as if Callom was trapped in the dimension through which he teleported. A half "port.

Hours ago she could swear she heard him. In their special rapport. But she was half drugged at the time. How could he possibly reach her when the Rani's TARDIS wound its way through the Vortex?


"Nae!" shrieked Callom, clutching his wrist.

The Doctor rushed to his side. "What is it?"

"Something burning... in ma arm," he gasped, twisting his hand over where the pain spread. "The burning traveling up . . ."

"He's too young to have a heart attack,"

"Do be quiet, Ace!"

Callom struggled to stop the tears flowing from his eyes. Slowly the pain died down, and he let go. On either side of him, Ace and the Doctor glanced at each other puzzled. "She . . . she's gone," he croaked.

"What do you mean, gone?"

"I canna feel her in ma mind anymore."

"That doesn't mean she's," began Ace.

"Shush, this is important."

"Oh, all right."

"Why else woulna I feel her?" asked Callom.

"Someone might have blotted out her thoughts, and terminated your psionic link. A local psi-damping transmitter would have that effect."

"It felt like pain, and then nothing. As if someone cut a phone line," gasped Callom, catching his breath. "Niver have I felt her so strongly, then so suddenly was it cut off."

"You're mind's accustomed to her presence. You were suffering withdrawal symptoms," explained the Doctor, gently. "The Rani must know we're onto her trail. Otherwise she would not bother to silence the transmission of Vitreum's thoughts."

"So what now, Professor?"

"We must rescue her, of course," said the Doctor.

"But how are we going to find her!"

"Simple. We let the Rani capture us."

"What? Are ye daft!" cried Callom. At almost the same moment Ace cried, "Are you mad""

"How else are we going to find her?" asked the Doctor.

"But she'll experiment on us and kill us, won't she," snapped Ace.

"Not necessarily. She may be ruthless and amoral, but she is still a scientist. And most scientists can be reasoned with, on some level."

"How are you going to reason wi' someone WHO's your worst enemy?" asked Ace.

"I didn't say that she was my worst enemy, Ace. Just that we've crossed swords in the paths of our journeys. She seeks knowledge for its own sake. Not for power, but because she is who she is. Unlike the Master, who wishes merely to rule the universe, the Rani wishes to understand it and make it in her own image."

"I dinna ken how yuir goin to help Vitreum by selling out to the Rani."

"I won't be selling out to her, Callom. What kind of person do you think I am?"

"A daft chap."

"Got that right, squirt."

Right into Tetrap central they blundered. All three of them strained their necks taking in the height of the Great Chamber. The roof was so high they could barely make out the variations in the rocks. Scant crystals gleamed a gentle green.

"Wild!" gasped Ace, glancing around the chamber. "Like a discotheque in here!"

"It's the ultraviolet light the Tetraps use," explained the Doctor, kneeling by one rock. His straw hat glowed pale purple, as did the tips of his shirt. Alternating red and white squares on Callom's Highlander bonnet shone purple and light purple around his head.

She gasped, "Totally Brill!"

Ghostly shapes fluttered far away. Metal struts held up small spherical units with tiny holes in them. In and out poked the heads of Tetraps. This was their version of skyscrapers, only the stacks of spheres were like houses.

Small hovercraft buzzed by, filled to the gills with dozens of Tetraps. Squeaks and shouts echoed as they raced from platform to platform. No one took notice of the three strange creatures standing on the vast cavern floor. Mighty stalactites and stalagmites partitioned off the views of adjoining caverns. Each stretched for miles and miles into a homogenous gloom.

Yet, like a modern city the reds, oranges and greens of the fluorescent minerals lit up the dwellings like neon signs. Paints made of the minerals plastered cave walls in weird Tetrabyrian writing. "Look Doc, they even have graffiti!" laughed Ace, pointing to them.

The Doctor just shook his head. "Unbelievable. This shouldn't be!"

"They look like they're in London!" exclaimed Callom, scratching in front of his ears. "Complete wi' pollution and hover cars. If I didna ken better, I'd feel like I was George Jetson!"

"Why don't they notice us?" asked Ace.

"Perhaps we should draw some attention to ourselves. Sure you can manage that, Ace?"

"Yes," she answered, then stopped herself and glared daggers at him. "Hey!"

Callom covered his mouth to keep from laughing.

"Hey! Bat face!" shouted Ace, to a parked hover car. "Over here! Your mother was a blacking brush!"

"TahW?" hissed some of the Tetraps in the hovercar. Through their multiple eyes they fixed on Ace.

"Namuh?" said one, pointing to Callom and Ace.

"Amsalp!" called the Doctor, cupping his hands. "Eerf amsalp! Ees Eenar!"

"Tahw!"

Again the Doctor shouted, this time, jumping up and down, "Eerf amsalp! Eenar eht ees oot tnaw I!"

"Amsalp!" they cried in unison. Wheezing the engine up, the car sped in their general direction. Ace reached for her bat, but the Doctor stopped her.

Inches from them the car stopped abruptly. Hissing and licking their fangs the four Tetraps exited the car. Ace and Callom shuddered as they encroached. The teenager protectively wrapped her arms around the young Scot's shoulders. Callom gripped her hand tightly.

Calmly the Doctor doffed his hat and smiled. "Olleh! Eenar eht ees ot hsiw I."

"What the heck kind of language is that?" asked Ace, still clutching hold of a trembling Callom.

"Try English, spoken backwards," he stammered.

"You, will come with us," hissed the tallest of the Tetraps, spreading out its web arms to their full span.

An hour's journey by hovercar later, the doctor's party arrived. Smiles had turned to serious frowns as the Time Lord took in the view around himself. As for Ace, she moved closer to Callom, who himself sat on the edge of the hovercar seat. She could tell his skin crawled as much as hers seeing these Tetraps everywhere. Bravely he clenched his teeth and said nothing the entire trip.

"It's okay, squirt," she whispered. "The Doctor knows what he's doing. I hope."

Grimly Callom nodded. Lowered his eyes and withdrew into himself. He didn't even notice Ace's arm across his shoulders, jammed as they were together on the car seat.

Consulting his mystery watch, the Doctor grunted in self-approval. He slipped off his half moon glasses and replaced them in the inner pocket of his jacket. Calmly as ever he crossed his plaid pant knees and rested both hands on his question mark umbrella handle. "Ah, now we shall get to the bottom of this mystery, Ace," he said.

"Whatever. But you just remember why we're here, Professor."

"Not even for a minute will I forget," he assured, her, raising one finger and touching the side of his nose.

Dim blue lights outlined a door. The tall Tetrap gestured to another standing next to the passage. He raised a claw in salute. With a squeak, the guard raised his web gun to cover the hovercar passengers.

"Get out," he hissed.

Ace, Callom, and the Doctor obliged. With hands raised above their heads they marched into a long narrow passageway. Tetrap guards followed from behind them. A grunt for left and right guided them past small round doors lined with some sort of flexible rubber.

"Och, this looks verra familiar, Doctor," said Callom, speaking at last.

"Does it, now?"

"Aye. I think I was here before."

"Oh great," grumbled Ace.

Finally they were escorted through a large set of double doors. That same blue light reflected off its cold metal surface. One Tetrap guard raised his wrist, and spoke into a mini-computer bracelet.

Doors glided open with a metallic clanking. The Doctor raised his eyebrows, saying, "Rather melodramatic, isn't it?"

"No kidding, Sherlock," retorted Ace.

Huge glass cages were set into a series of walls. It was like walking into a natural history museum. Inside enormous jars floated life size dinosaurs and woolly mammoths. Along one wall were a series of bizarre squid creatures. The Doctor froze when he saw them.

"What are they?"

"Nestines," he gritted. "In their natural form. And those over there are Sontarans."

Callom followed his gaze to several short squat creatures, with massive limbs. Their domed heads with lipless slits sat on short necks. Each looked identical to the other. Metallic threads were worked into their skins.

"How'd she get her hands on them, I'd like to know? Sontarans are some of the most militaristic creatures in the Twelve galaxies! Here they are, minus their armor."

"This looks just like a zoo," said Ace.

"Aye," muttered Callom, shivering. His bare knees under his kilt felt like they were knocking together.

"Hang on, squirt." she soothed.

"I hate looking at dead things floating in jars," he gasped, turning pale.

"I'm not crazy about it either," she admitted. "I weaseled my way out of Biology, A-Level."

They came at last to a central chamber. Huge tubes bubbled and surged with a strange blue fluid. Many of them ran directly into the tanks. "Mm, large scale cryostasis," commented the Doctor, looking on in admiration.

Before them, with her back turned to them stood a shapely figure. Long hair rippled down its back. Her short tunic flared to a bell skirt over well-muscled legs. "Ah, Doctor. I should have guessed you'd visit me again."

"You've surpassed yourself again, Rani," said the Doctor calmly.

Whirling about, she folded her arms across her chest. Ace stared at the severe face and aristocratically chiseled features. "She's wearing too much mascara," she muttered to herself.

"Too kind, Doctor. I may return the compliment, but I won't. I do tire of your unexpected visits to my laboratories."

"You mean visits to your killing jar," coughed the Doctor. Lowering his hands, he marched right up to her.

"As always, your limited vision bores me, Doctor."

"Let's cut the crap," snapped Ace, walking up beside the Doctor. "Where the hell is Raina""

Amusement crossed the Rani's features. "Who is this spirited creature?"

"Er, this is my companion, Ace," stammered the Doctor. "She's young."

"I can see that," chortled the Rani.

"I'm not scared of you," said Ace, narrowing her young eyes. "Or all this stuff."

"I don't believe you are, human. I am certain the Doctor has said many unflattering things about me. But that changes nothing. He will not stop me again. Too many times has he meddled in my affairs."

"But why are you always doing experiments on people"" asked Ace, despite the Doctor's attempts to shut her up.

"Do your earth scientists ask the rabbits and bacteria if they can experiment on them""

"That's different!" said Ace. "We're sentient. They're not."

"To me, you are as monkeys," said the Rani. "Intelligent monkeys."

At these words, she seized Ace's chin in her long manicured fingers. "You are an excellent specimen, human. I can see you were well bred. Such drive to survive. Typical of your species."

"Let me go, you witch!" she snapped, raising her hands and bashing them down on the Rani's. Instantly a Tetrap smacked the teenager to the floor. Callom cried out in anger, knife drawn as he charged the Tetrap. "You leave her alone, y' beastie!"

Quickly the Doctor moved and pulled Ace from harm's way. So quick was Callom's reaction, that his dirk drew blood. Angrily, the outraged Tetrap guard spanned his wings to engulf the young Scot. The Rani lifted a restraining hand. "Do not damage the humans, Yettab. I will have use for them."

"Like you have use for every life form other than Time Lords?" asked the Doctor, as he supported his friend. "… shhh… Easy now, I have you."

Spitting blood, Ace shook her head. The whole room slowly orbited. "Oh, cripes what a blow!"

Instantly the Scot came to her side, and crouched on his haunches. The Doctor had Ace's head on his lap. Gently he took her head and shoulders onto his knees. "Rest easy, lass," he soothed, stroking her hair. She spat blood again, and coughed. Apparently her nose was bleeding. Carefully, the Doctor took a handkerchief and pressed it over her nose. Still stunned, she huddled against him.

"A typical human response to another human in danger. As I predicted," smiled the Rani, looking at Callom and Ace.

"We seek Raina," said the Doctor simply, helping Ace to stand shakily. "This human boy says that you are experimenting on her against her will. I have come to take her away. Whatever you're doing here on Tetrapbyria is your concern."

"True. But what gave you the idea Raina is here against her will" Or being experimented upon""

"She said so herself!" snapped Callom.

"Very well, she shall be released. Yettab…bring the human female!”

Cursing and swearing, a short woman with brown hair was brought forth, yelling curses that Ace knew well, in an American accent. "Damn you let me go!" she screamed.

"Raina!" cried Callom as they brought her out, and freed her wrists.

"Kid, you got back! Who is this?" Raina MacLaren pointed to the newcomwers.

“I presume you are Dr. Raina MacLaren UCLA/Berkely?" the Doctor asked.

"Yes, but who are you?"

"We are friends. Do you relinquish her?" asked the Doctor of the Rani.

"Take her from me. She has served her purpose," said the Rani, and they flung her toward the Doctor and Callom. She collapsed and landed on her knee, her khaki shorts and her t-shirt torn, her vest in tatters.

"Raina," whispered the kid as he held her, and the Doctor helped her to her feet. She promptly dropped to her knees.

"You're safe now," said the Doctor, helping her to sit down. "Relax."

She gasped, "Damn, I can't believe this nightmare!”

"Easy Yank," said Ace, walking up to her and helping to support her. She saw the full sized letter logo of a rock band she'd seen in the seventies, and four figures in black and white paint on Raina's chest, as the Geologist leaned on her.

"Vitreum, please, is she hurt?" asked Callom. "She wanted to come … she said she…with us!”

"Ah, yes, she may have said that at one point. But I assure you she is here because she wishes to be."

"What"" asked the Doctor, raising an eyebrow.

"Just show us where she is," coughed Ace. Callom tightened his grip on her protectively as he glared at the Tetrap guards.

"Right here," said the Rani. "Vitreum, why don't you come out. You have some visitors who are anxious to see you."

From behind one tank walked another woman. She was clad in a quilted jacket and tight pants. Her mop of brown hair was streaked with a few bleached white locks that hung over her eyes. Light flashed off the multiple pins adorning her velvet sash and the glasses on her nose. Her eyes were weary and tired. The face was soft and pale, with a pointed chin and freckles.

"Hello, Doctor," she said in a British accent, English crisp and precise. "I have heard much about you. It is a great honor to finally meet you in person."

"Tell them," said the Rani, folding her arms across her chest. "They accuse me of kidnapping you."

"Are you being held here against your will?" asked the Doctor.

"No," she said simply. He eyed the microcomputer bracelet on her wrist.

"What do ye mean, no?" cried Callom, confused. Still he crouched next to Ace.

"I was afraid you'd come after me," she said dispassionately. "I thought I told you to leave."

"Ye said fer me to save mahself! Before ye stuck me in that transporter!"

"He's right," said Raina. "but don't expect HER to help!”

"Do you think I want to be burdened with you?" she asked, flatly. "You, always tagging along at my heels like some lap dog? You had your chance, and you failed me. I didn't want you to come back."

"Nae, it canna be true," protested Callom, distressed.

"What are you talking about?" asked the Doctor.

"The Rani let me help him escape. She knew you'd be at those coordinates."

"I don't believe this!" cried Callom. "You canna mean what yuir saying!"

"Believe it, she's sold out," Raina said bitterly.

"Doctor, I am the Rani's assistant. I am helping her to build a better world for the Tetraps. Is it too much to ask to be let to help a civilization flourish?"

"Yes it is! I mean, no it isn't," stammered the Doctor, tapping his umbrella.

"You after all, interfere in the affairs of other people," Raina pointed out.

"Yes, and that's what I do well. I'm just concerned about the direction in which the Tetraps are evolving!"

"So you are against interference?"

"No, that is to say, I support what you are doing, Rani and Vitreum. I would love to hear what you're doing. Lately I have seen the error in my ways poking my nose into your experiments."

"I seek to assist the Tetraps in building a better society," said the Rani.

"And I am helping her. I don't want to come back with you."

"But I want to help too!" snapped the Doctor, stamping his foot in frustration.

"Forget her," said Vitreum.”
 
"We're just pawns to her,” snorted the geologist.

"No, Doctor," said the Rani. "Your loyalties exist elsewhere. If you leave now, my Tetraps will guarantee your safe conduct. You may even take these two humans. But the longer you stay, the more I am convinced you are meddling in affairs that don't concern you. I no longer wish to reshape the Universe, only study it."

"That may very well be but…” the Doctor stammered.

"Doctor, take this boy, and leave me," said Vitreum. "And take the human woman as well."

"No Vitreum!" cried Callom, in anguish. "Yuir daft! she's controlling yuir mind!"

"Callom, she's betrayed us," Raina said flatly.

"Stop your whimpering, boy," snapped Vitreum. "I never wanted you to come along with me in the STAGE! You just got in the way!"

"But the training you gave me . . . when you had me come to you …on EARTH!” Callom spluttered.

"Your powers are useless, and you are too. Your father was right about you. I merely came to Earth to kidnap you and Dr. MacLaren."

"No!" Callom violently shook his head, not wanting it to be true.

"Doctor, I ask you kindly to leave me. It is unfortunate that you wasted your time and energy to find that I am unwilling to come with you."

"I understand, Vitreum," he said, raising his hat. Turning to the Rani, he said, "Sorry to have troubled you. Must be going."

"What the hell?" coughed Ace. Raina helped her to her feet, and the teenager let the human woman help her along.

"We're leaving. If Vitreum doesn't want to come, that's her decision,” the Doctor announced.

"We canna leave her," sniffed Callom.

"We have no choice, she's made her decision, I'm sorry kid... we can't trust her," Raina gritted.

"Look, the Rani's not endangering anyone. I see no evidence that she's working on anything threatening right now. So we'd better get back to the TARDIS."

"I'm not going till you explain . . ." Ace snapped.

"Just for once in your short life, do what I say, Ace!" he thundered.

"Touchy, isn't he?" Raina asked as she helped Ace along.