Doctor Who Fan Fiction ❯ A Growing Madness ❯ Chapter 11

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Doctor Who and its accoutrements are the property of the BBC, and we obviously don't have any right to them. Any and all fan fiction characters belong to their respective creators. Alas no one makes any money from this story, and it's all done out of love for a cheap-looking sci-fi show.
 
Chapter 11
Ace slipped off her satin jacket. Tied the garment around her waist. Callom's shirt was sticking to his sweaty chest. She could see the droplets glistening against his blond hairs. With the back on one hand and he wiped sweat from his brow.

"Did you have to go and make it as hot as all this?" Ace complained, readjusting her braids. Loose hair poked into her face. She struggled to French-braid Callom's long hair. Patiently he sat still against her tugging and pulling. The end result was amusing. "Och, I look like a real Highlander nau," he laughed.

"A genuine Jacobite," commented the Doctor. He wiped hands on his handkerchief, now a filthy sweat soaked rag. He'd rolled up his shirt sleeves. Long abandoned, his coat, hat and sweater were rolled up into a bundle and stashed near the control panel.

"How long d'ye figure on staying here?" Callom asked. "Surely it must be near hot enau t' escape."

"We must wait for the Karakulians to stop moving."

"How do y' reckon on that?"

"I don't know, Callom. I can give an estimate. . ."

"He really doesn't know, then," sighed Ace, nudging Callom's arm. Despite the sweat pouring down her face, she looked incredible. Those full red lips and sparking dark eyes appeared so vital. With his eyes he discreetly traced the curves of her cheekbones and oval face. Every minute she struggled against her own awkward feelings. He couldn't sense the exact thoughts, but he could feel the conflicting mental images. She still tried to interact with him as a child, and a peer. But something was making it intensely difficult. Those pictures of him were broadcasted strongly into his inner psyche. Images of him and her in strange locations. Pure fantasy.

Males were the ones who had such fantasies. But the books failed to make note that women also had fantasies about the opposite sex. Whoever wrote the biology texts about human sexuality was biased. "Och, this is daft! I gotta get a grip on mahsel."

Conveniently, he was concentrating on Raina. For any trace of psychic communication she'd broadcast. Pushing his feelings aside, he reached for her mind: *We're hot enau here, Raina

*Right. I found your colonists. Karakulian fodder

*(telepathic shudder) As I thought. But are ye okay? Seen any Karakulians?

*One or two have glided in here. But I'm hiding behind one of the incubators. I don't think they can see me. Even when they do, they don't know what hit them.

Back in the Embryo room, Raina crouched behind the incubation unit. Sweat dripped down her forehead. Her own body temperature struggled against the increased heat. On her lap she held the Growth Accelerator. It had done its work well. Already, some of the mutations had halted considerably. Considerably enough for the Karakulian technicians to notice. It was only feet away from her grasp.

Slowly she reached her geological axe. Scooting along she focused her mind as before. With a sharp blow she smashed down with the point on the sensor plates. They were pressure sensors. Quite by accident she'd discovered this was the right place on their casing. Anywhere else was incorrect, for the Karakuliananium casing was impenetrable. What could eat through the casing? She managed to examine the metal. Nitro-9 managed to blow them apart. But it was in short supply. If more Karakulians came into the room, they'd surely overpower Raina by sure weight of numbers. And she wasn't about to climb into a casing and escape that way. Just the thought of scrunching into that tiny seat was unbearable. To sit where they sat, those monsters that stole her leg. Unbearable. Just as unthinkable as sliding into a cavern.

***

Ace stood up, and dabbed more sweat from her forehead. Within the small room the air grew thick and moist. It seemed to hang just upon their skins. "Ugh," muttered the Doctor. "I suppose I did overdo it a might."

"Ye can say that again," muttered Callom. Swinging his shoulder bag onto his shoulder, he stumbled to his feet.

"Are you okay?" asked Ace.

"I'm fine. It's jest this heat. I'm no used to it."

"I should have guessed," said Ace. "You're probably better off in freezing cold."

"Scotland summers dinnae get this hot. Or moist."

"Time we were going, children," said the Doctor. Both Ace and Callom saw him operate the door control. They held their breath as the panel slid open. First came the Doctor, stepping lightly on his feet. Back and forth he glanced, trying to spot any Karakulian patrols. So far, none appeared. He waved to Ace and Callom that it was safe to proceed.

"How much longer are we going t' snoop around like this?" Callom asked.

"Till we rejoin Raina. I had a feeling she'd try to help those colonists."

"Did the Karakulians really mutate them?" asked Ace.

"Raina was there. And she saw the evidence."

"Disgusting," muttered Callom, visibly repulsed at the thought of people transforming into the living bubbling lumps of hate.

"Doctor, there's a wee thing that's been bothering me," said Callom, slipping ahead of Ace.

"What?"

"Raina said that ye piloted the TARDIS to this planet, after the explosion. But ye say the TARDIS is trapped here."

"What's your question."

"How did ye get the TARDIS to work, t' get here?"

"It works for short hops, through space. What's damaged is the fourth dimensional control. The Karakulian weapon shorted out the temporal relays. Only the Dematerialization spatial controls are intact."

"Mind saying that in English?"

"I mean, the TARDIS can dematerialize into the Hyper space part of the vortex. That's the same dimension through which you pass when you teleport, Callom. But the ability to move freely in time is gone."

"If that's so, why was the ship disabled. It doesn't travel through time. And it was disabled."

"The ship wasn't disabled. Merely controlled by the Karakulians. The TARDIS, however, was disabled. Because of the mercury fluid links in the TARDIS. Luckily, the Dematerialization mains are an independent crystallocybernetic unit."

"He means the Karakulian's invention was too much for that Gallifreyan circuitry," said Ace.

"Whatever. But can ye fix it?"

"I did. But I've got to put that hyper drive remote control unit out of action, so we can escape."

"What do you want with those bits from that mind control machine?"

"Ace, it's not a mind control machine. It's a cerebral stimulator. And secondly, you'll find that part out later."

"When you figure out what you're actually gonna do with it, right?" said Ace. Pressing lips together, the Doctor said nothing.

Callom looked at Ace, and couldn't help but snicker. It was funny to see them arguing, despite all that was happening around them. By now she'd determined what each beaker held. The green sludge was a sort of plankton. It was basic nourishment for the Karakulians. Indeed she remembered seeing a lake full of such green sludge boiling with tubes. The tubes leading from these green filled beakers sloshed into the petri dishes. Those pieces of skin and muscle were her own tissues growing at a fast pace. Unfastening the Growth Accelerator, she removed it from the tripod. Unclipped the power source feeding into it. It had its own battery pack, and the LCD screen indicated a charge of two earth hours.

"Good," she nodded.

If those samples of tissue were in here, what other labs held such experiment? Only slightly limping now, she crossed to the door. Slid open the panel, and checked the hall. No Karakulians. The room she was in was on automatic. Her other hand jerked the tubes from the petri--dish incubators. Slowly, twelve hundred replicas of her skin stopped growing. And died. It wasn't a sin to kill simple tissues. yet it might be a problem later if what she suspected were true. Why the Karakulians wanted a growth accelerator. Or why they went to so much trouble to capture the Doctor. Slowly she racked her mind to the placed that she shared with Callom.

*Where are you now?

*We've got the Doctor! came his excited reply.

*I've got the device.

*Stay put! We're in the Power room.

*Why?

*The Doctor's gonna turn up the heat!

Hands to the sides of his head, Callom concentrated. "She's at the growth accelerator lab," he reported, staring half at his friends, half into another dimension. "Says she found a whole bunch of tissue cultures."

"I'm not at all surprised," said the Doctor, serious faced. "These must have been testing the accelerator on her body tissues. And the Rani must be somehow involved in this."

Then turning to Callom, he asked, "Ask her to give me a description of the wing she's in."

For a moment, Callom moved his lips silently as he thought the information to her. Seconds later, he opened his eyes. "Raina says she's proceeding to a room we saw on the way. There's a sign, with letters."

"Can you project an image of what she's seeing into my visual cortex?" asked the Doctor. "I'll let down my barriers so you can get it through."

Before his eyes materialized an image, superimposed on his own sight. "Ah, that's a Karakulian Embryo room. Raina's found it."

"There's a set of these tubes running here," she said. Raising her hands, she grabbed the metal bolts and twisted.

"Nobody could open that," said Ace. "She'll need a torch for sure..."

"Wait," said the Doctor. "I do believe our friend is quite strong."

Raina wedged her ice ax between the bolts and the door. Pushing down, she managed to pry the locks loose.

"Why do I think what she did was too easy?" asked Ace.

"The Karakulians don't' expect anyone to get into that wing."

"But she's Karakulian fodder for sure," said Callom, temporarily breaking concentration. The picture faded from the Doctor' view. "No wait, she says she sees nothing. But I'm worried."

"Keep a mental link with her open. I'm nearly down."

On the power room the three companions now sat. Wisely the Doctor had barricaded the door next to Callom. Ace was keeping stock of her remaining cans of Nitro-9. Only two were left.

Tucking his plaid under his thighs, he sat near one terminal. "Seems strange they'd have the city brain in here," Ace muttered. She started to French braid Callom's long hair. Patiently he sat still against her tugging and pulling.

Near the power turbines, the Doctor removed a panel from a large computer bank. On his back, he reached up inside at the machine's insides. "No, Callom, this isn't the city brain. But these are access panels to the environmental controls of the city. If I can remember the right access codes, I may be able to change the weather."

"Ye done wi' the pulling yet, lass?" Callom asked.

"Oh, yeah. Now you've got Johnny Tremain's hairstyle."

Callom stood, and walked over to one of the monitors. In its surface he could glimpse his reflection. The end result of Ace's styling was funny.

"Och, I look like a genuine highlander now," he laughed.

"A real Jacobite," commented the Doctor. He wiped his hands on her handkerchief, now just a filthy sweat soaked rag. Callom was impressed. Ace had actually read that book by Esther Forbes. The same lass didn't bother reading old stuff, off a scholastic list. As for himself, Callom devoured every classic he could get his hands on.

"If you flood the city with heat, what's to ensure that they won't see you, at least?"

"Your point?"

"Your body temperatures about thirty degrees lower than ours. You say you're setting temperatures to flood at the human body range. What good will it do for you?"

"But that's precisely what I want."

"What? After what we went through to get you back?" demanded Ace, outraged. "And you say it was a waste of time."

Scooting out from under the computer bank, the Doctor sat. "Ace, let's get one thing straight. I totally appreciate you efforts to liberate me. really."

"Then what are you going on about?"

"I want to have them find me, so you three can escape. I want to get into the place where they have their secret weapon."

Ace slipped of her satin jacket. She tied the garment around her waist. Callom's shirt was sticking to his sweaty chest. she could see the droplets glistening on his blonde hairs. With the back of one hand he wiped the sweat from his forehead.

"Did you have to go and make it as hot as all this?" Ace complained, readjusting her braid. Loose hair fell into her face.

He'd rolled up his shirt sleeves. Long abandoned, his coat and sweater were rolled up into a bundle and stashed near the control panel.

"How long d' ye figure on staying here?" Callom asked. "Surely it must be near hot enau t' escape."

"We must wait for the Karakulians to stop moving."

"How do y' reckon on that?"

"I don't know, Callom. I can give an estimate..."

"He really doesn't know, then," sighed Ace, nudging Callom's arm. Despite the sweat pouring down her face, she looked incredible. Those full lips and sparkling dark eyes appeared so vital. With his eyes he discreetly traced the curve of her cheekbones and face. Every minute she struggled against her own awkward feeling. He couldn't sense the exact thoughts, but he could feel the conflicting mental images. She still tried to interact with him as a child, and peer. But something was making it intensely difficult. Those pictures of him were broadcasted strongly to his inner psyche. Images of him and her in strange locations.

Males were the ones who had such fantasies. But the books failed to notice that women also had fantasies about the opposite sex. Whoever wrote the biology text about human sexuality was biased.

"Oh, this is daft," he snorted to himself. "I gotta get a grip on mahsel."

He focused on Raina. For any trace of communication she'd broadcast lately. Pushing his hormonal feelings aside, he reached out again:

*We're hot enau, Raina

*Right. I found the colonists. They are... Karakulian Fodder.

*Ugh. As I thought. But are ye okay? Seen any other Karakulians?

*One or two have glided in here. I'm hiding behind the incubators. I don't think they can sense me. Even when they do, they won't know what hit them.

***

Back in the Embryonic lab, the geologist crouched behind the unit. Sweat dropped down her forehead. Her own body temperature struggled against the increased heat. On her lab she held the Growth Accelerator. It had done its work well. Already, some mutations reversed.

Considerably enough for the Karakulian technicians to notice. It was only a few feet away from her grasp. Slowly she reached her hand out to its base plate. Focused her mind as before, in the cell. She pressed her hand to one of the sensors, for pressure detection, she guessed. By accident she'd discovered that this was the proper weak place on the casing to focus this new destructive force of her mind.

What could eat through the casing? She managed to examine the metal. Nitro- 9 managed to damage them enough to stop them temporarily. Unfortunately, it was in short supply here. If more Karakulians cam into the room, they'd surely overpower Raina. She could only immobilize one at a time.

She wasn't about to try concealing herself inside a casing.

Ace had stood again. Within the room the air grew thick and moist. Humidity hung on their skins. The Doctor muttered, "Ugh. I suppose I did overdo it a might."

"Ye can say that again," muttered Callom. Swinging his bag onto his shoulder, he tottered to his feet.

"Are you okay, Cal?" Ace asked.

"Fine. Jest the heat. I'm nae used t' it."

"I should have guessed. You're probably better off in freezing cold."

"Scotland summers dinnae reach this temperature. Or this humidity..."

"Time we were going, children," said the Doctor. He tied his extra clothes into a bundle with his necktie. Both Ace and Callom saw him open the door, and held their breaths as it slid open. Hanging his bundle over the end of his umbrella, he casually stepped into the corridor. Back and forth he glanced, trying to spot any Karakulian patrols. "Ally, ale, oxen free," he announced, waving to them to join him.

"How much longer are we going te snoop around like this?" Callom asked.

"Till we rejoin our geologist friend. I had a feeling she'd try to help the colonists."

"What's wrong wi that?"

"did the Karakulians really mutate them?" Ace cut in.

"Raina was there. And she relayed the evidence to our Scottish guard."

"Disgusting it was," Callom grunted, visibly repulsed at the images of people transforming into wizened wads of hate.

"Doctor, there's a wee thing that's bothering me still."

"What, lad?"

"Raina said ye piloted the ship to the surface, after our TARDIS crashed. I remember Ace'n me being inside w' Raina..."

"What's the question?"

"How did the Karakulians get the TARDIS into the city?"

"Easy. The Karakulians transported it here."

"But why didn't we just go back, with the colonists, to escape. How badly is it damaged?"

"The fourth dimensional stabilizer. The Karakulian weapon shorted it out. Only the dematerialization is working, for short hops through space."

"Meaning, in English..."

"The TARDIS can still pass through hyper space in the Vortex. That's the same dimension you pass through when you port, Callom. But the ability to move freely in the fourth dimension... time... is gone."

"If that's so, then why was the ship gonzoed?" asked Ace. "It doesn't travel through time."

"The ship wasn't disabled after all. Merely controlled by the Karakulians. The TARDIS was disabled. The fluid links were vaporized. However, the demat's a crystallocybernetic unit."

"He means the Karakulian's inventions fried the timing?" Callom said.

"Yeah, whatever. But can you get it working again, Professor?"

"Of course I can," the Doctor snorted. "But I've got to put that Karakulian remote controller of hyper drives out of action, so we can escape."

"What did you do with those circuits from the mind controller?"

"Ace, I told you it's not a mind control machine. It's a cerebral stimulator. And secondly, you'll find that part out later..."

"When you actually figure out what the hell you're going to do with it, right?" said Ace.

Clenching his jaw, the Doctor trudged on ahead. He said nothing. Callom looked at Ace, and stifled a laugh. It was funny to see them arguing, despite all the dangers that could happen in any second.

*** "I never volunteered for morgue duty," Callom complained. Sweat still plagued him. Mute footsteps passed in front of him. In his hands the Doctor clutched a small box. he walked backwards in front of them, like some bizarre pied piper.

"This way folks," he said. "Flight for Cerise leaving in five minutes."

"Look out, Doctor!" Callom cautioned.

So intent was the doctor on walking backwards, that he tripped over a nearby section of floor. Control box and Doctor crashed backwards. Time lord hit floor as the box flew through the air out of his hands. Right into Callom's. The Scot dived right under the unit.

"Ye gotta be mair careful, man!" he snapped.

"Right, right," grumbled the Doctor, rubbing his backside. Callom reached out a large hand, which the Time Lord reluctantly grasped. He pulled up, and dusted himself off.

"Thank you. Good teleporting, m'lad."

Thirty figures tramped past them. "Wait!" the Doctor shouted, grabbing the remote.

Callom shook his head. Then he winced at the blackness curling in front of his eyes. For a moment he rubbed them. Had to focus. Fight the urge to pass out. Regaining control, he dashed after the strange parade. Through steel corridors the melancholy toy soldiers passed. Until they stopped in front of a strangely coded door. Out the door they continued, onto the battered pockmarked surface of Karakul itself. Callom drew in a breath. He'd not seen it before, on the outside. So blissful did the open spaces to him seem , that he forgot the blackness in his head. Overhead, the gray clouds whirled, mirroring the gray metal underfoot. Huge spires interconnected with long tunnels rimmed the horizon. Immediately ahead of the party, Callom spotted three or four round disk buildings suspended on high poles, like towers.

"Where'd the Jetson's come in," he wondered.

Then he realized they were Karakulian craft, in their support columns. Identical in size and configuration to the one that latched onto the Cerise so long ago. Dragging his feet, he caught up to the Doctor. Metal landscapes stretched as far as his eyes could perceive. Expect for the distant high mountains that peeking behind the saucers, Callom could see no other planetary features. Not even the forest was visible, except on the distant mountains.

Up an inclined plane they stumbled. Just before the hatch, Callom stopped. Still the Doctor treaded backwards with his control box in front of the lines of colonists. Callom and the time lord bracketed the door while the strange cargo filed inside.

"Now leaving on runway ten," Callom joked somberly. "Dinnae ferget t' check yair baggage through to the colony."

"That's the last one," the Doctor smiled. "Come on, we've gotta set this for take off."

Inside, Raina and Ace puzzled over the alien controls. Raina leaned against one panel, and muttered, "Seems simple enough."

"If you can know Karakulian scribble, that is," Ace said.

"All these saucer craft are the same. Liquid ion propulsion creates an air cushion to take off. Then antigravity kicks in. This knob controls the horizontal movement.... and this one here controls the vertical..."

"Great, if you're going to the outer limits, Yank."

Raina winced. Unlike the spherical Aries command deck module, the Karakulian saucer had myriad systems that seemed incompatible with the Earth technology. But the Doctor had somehow miraculously spliced them together. He'd taken the wires from the Cerise's hyper drive control and grafted them into the Karakulian circuits. All Ace and Raina had to do was weld the framework of the remaining orbital craft to the saucer once they were in orbit. Then, thirty slumbering mutants could be pushed through the docking ring in silence.

"Are we ready to go?"

"It's a miracle you rewired these systems so we can just past this thing to the ship."

"That's the easy part."

"Then how come you're not flying this thing?" Ace demanded.

"Callom and I have to keep an eye on the Karakulians. In case they wake up."

"I still don't like leaving Callom here," said Raina.

"Someone needs to baby-sit him," Callom laughed softly, indicating the Doctor. He stuck is head and shoulders part-way into the room. Dark circles appeared under his young eyes. Were those gray streaks creeping into his hair?

"Dinnae worry," he said, as he guessed what she thought. "I'm okay. It's jest the heat in the city."

"And what about the Karakulians?" said Raina. "How much longer can that heat hold them, Doctor."

"That's the difficult part I mentioned."